Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dutchfool posted:

What's the big deal about the safari zone? :o

You have to reach the end of the Safari Zone to get Surf, but once you enter you're limited by a certain amount of steps before you're kicked out (about 500 I think), and the Safari Zone is pretty big. Now you can see how this will be impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
RNG has gotten inside the ship! This is not a drill, I repeat, RNG has gotten inside the ship!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Two necessary items in fact, you need the Surf HM, and you also need the warden's dentures so he gives you the strength HM.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sartorius posted:

It gives you a set number of steps (500 I think?) to complete, it's meant to catch "exotic" pokemon, but it's also mandetory (the HM for surf is deep inside).
As a kid it took me forever, and even later in life it's still a pretty tight limit.

It's a really big dick move, and you forgot that the only way to get strength is in there too.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.
Ah alright. Been ages since I completed firered, completely forgot about that. poo poo, I don't think we'll get it without some help.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wow I totally forgot about the dentures. That's what I get for not playing Gen 1 in at least 5 years.
If the RNG has to get to Safari Zone unaided, I'm not sure they'll be out by the end of March.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hopeford posted:

RNG has gotten inside the ship! This is not a drill, I repeat, RNG has gotten inside the ship!
It took him over an hour because Vermillion is so open-air that the bot has ended up walking around in circles a lot and even started backtracking to the underground tunnel.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

My god I wish I had clicked this when it first appeared, needs a better thread title please mods.
This will be the final death of twitch. Either when the main hosting center burns down when the chat server combusts or when it becomes sentient and launches russia's nukes at itself to end the pain.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Isn't it theoretically possible to create a no-win scenario through the Safari Zone? There's a finite amount of money available to Red, and each trip in the Safari Zone costs money. If Red runs out of money, what then? Is the game just over?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

pospysyl posted:

Isn't it theoretically possible to create a no-win scenario through the Safari Zone? There's a finite amount of money available to Red, and each trip in the Safari Zone costs money. If Red runs out of money, what then? Is the game just over?

It would be, but if the game gets to an unwinnable state the admin will simply cheat to let the game keep going.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
They didn't get the bike, did they?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

pospysyl posted:

Theoretically they could farm money with the Pay Day move (on a meowth or from the TM) but

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

pospysyl posted:

You could potentially get stuck. The person running the stream is likely going to remove the step counter though, so the only way to leave will be to use all 30 Safari Balls.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
They could also just remove the entry fee too.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, considering that (according to the interview) the streamer is already using a modded rom a few other minor tweaks (add more ledges) should be feasible.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Strange Quark posted:

They could also just remove the entry fee too.

This would still be almost impossible to make work because the margin for error is so low.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
The RNG just got Cut.
Now to use it :getin:

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Its probably already been posted but hell

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Do you really think they'll be able to use a level 5 Eevee in any useful way?

Eevee is at least level 25 in R/B. I think that level alone makes the trip worth it.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

horriblePencilist posted:

The RNG just got Cut.
Now to use it :getin:

RNG got Flamethrower, beat Gary then got Cut all within a ridiculously short period of time. It was amazing.

...Though now it will probably take literal weeks until it can learn cut and use it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I feel the end goal of this playthrough shouldn't be defeating the elite 4, but the resurrection of the Helix fossil.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cut activation drill a success.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Livingtrope posted:

They didn't get the bike, did they?

No, but we can glitch past them without the bike or backtrack for it.

e: We can also go through the right side of Fuschia via pokeflute.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Watching Red dance around a bush as thousands of people try to get him to cut it. Going on 20 minutes now. What am I doing with my life.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kild posted:

No, but we can glitch past them without the bike or backtrack for it.

What? No, they have to take the long route from lavender town to get to fusicia now and I was just thinking about how arduous that's gonna be.

Course, that's if they ever cut this loving tree.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Livingtrope posted:

What? No, they have to take the long route from lavender town to get to fusicia now and I was just thinking about how arduous that's gonna be.

Course, that's if they ever cut this loving tree.

If you hold left while the guard stops you, you can walk past him. Or we can go through Saffron -> Vermillion -> East -> Beat Snorlax -> Riverroute -> South -> West

yep
Dec 29, 2012
One thing I will say for the stream getting stuck is that the town music is just droning enough to let me zone out while doing homework.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kild posted:

If you hold left while the guard stops you, you can walk past him. Or we can go through Saffron -> Vermillion -> East -> Beat Snorlax -> Riverroute -> South -> West

Wow, I know how do the mew glitch but nobody ever told me about that. Course I've always had the bike by now, so it didn't matter...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So how long have they been trying to get past this one tree?

e:

quote:

guys can we let 1 guy do it?
I don't think this guy "gets" it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's been almost 20 years since I played a Gen 1 game, was plain old non-evolved Eevee good back then? Because plain old Eevee is pretty good in some of the games IIRC.

poo poo I just remembered I have Pokemon White on my phone and haven't even beaten the first gym. :effort:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^^ Not fully evolved mons aren't very good in Gen 1, plus Normal had poo poo options back then.

hayden. posted:

Watching Red dance around a bush as thousands of people try to get him to cut it. Going on 20 minutes now. What am I doing with my life.

You haven't seen nothing yet.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

After hours of hoping people won't choose down, up is now loving us over.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah, considering that (according to the interview) the streamer is already using a modded rom a few other minor tweaks (add more ledges) should be feasible.

Got a link to the interview? Should be an interesting read.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
They almost just taught Drowsee teleport :stare:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
And have almost tossed it a dozen times.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Twitch is gonna get past the tree eventually. They spent hours and hours getting past that 1 square wide path, but it happened eventually. The real stumbling block is gonna be the safari zone, assuming the streamer doesn't skip them through it.

On the RNG front, Mn has got cut and the boat left the dock, but now has to cut down the tree by surge's gym. There's not gonna be any progress past this I think.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Imagine the Stream trying to catch Regice.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ChairMaster posted:

On the RNG front, Mn has got cut and the boat left the dock, but now has to cut down the tree by surge's gym. There's not gonna be any progress past this I think.

Don't know what stream you're watching, but they're outside Erika's gym now. Well, by the tree that needs to be cut to get to Erika's gym

Edit:

ChairMaster posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/rngplayspokemon

RNG is a different stream from TPP

Oh god I'm a loving idiot.
at least I know what this RNG is now :downsgun:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sartorius posted:

Don't know what stream you're watching, but they're outside Erika's gym now. Well, by the tree that needs to be cut to Erika's gym

http://www.twitch.tv/rngplayspokemon

RNG is a different stream from TPP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
They are going to get to the end of the league, stood in front of Gary and then use that Teleport TM and warp right out.

• Locked thread