Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Yuina, Chapter 6: I'm so into you, but I'm way too smart for you

For those of you who didn't watch the stream of the (relatively uneventful) last 6 months of Tokimeki Memorial, here's a quick look at what you may
have missed:

You got to see just how annoying it was to have 3 or 4 girls a week running up to Goon and asking him to go home with them, just to have Goon shoot them down every time.

Megumi tried to bomb 2 or 3 times.

It forced me to go on a date with Megumi, where all she did was look at monkeys. Yes, monkeys.

Then, chat told me to give Saki the 1/8th scale figure of herself for her birthday. She was... not exactly happy.

And now... we bid a fond farewell to Tokimeki Memorial: Forever With You.

10/11: The last few lines of the culture festival

Yuina: Did you witness my genius at work?
Goon: Himoo-san... what the hell ARE you?
Yuina: Muhahaha... the world will be mine very soon.
Goon: (That's how the culture festival ended.

1/1: New Year's Day with Yuina

The only portion that changes here is:

Yuina: Graduation is this year.
Goon: Yeah, it's really coming up on us soon.
Yuina: This year, I will succeed. By any means necessary.
Goon: At what?
Yuina: For now, that is top secret. We are going home.

2/28: The Final Battle

Yuina: I have been waiting for you, Gundayu-kun.
Goon: Hi, Himoo-san? What's going on?
Yuina: You are in the way of the fulfillment of my ambitions.
Goon: I don't remember ever getting in your way, Himoo-san. And what do you mean by ambitions?
Yuina: To take over the world.
Goon: Ta...Take over the world? You're joking, right?
Yuina: All physical preparations have been made.
Yuina: But because of you, the emotional preparations are still incomplete.
Goon: Wh, why is this my fault?
Yuina: If I defeat you here, everything will be settled.
Yuina: Now, prepare yourself.
Goon: Wait a second, Himoo-san. There might be collateral damage if we fight here in the park. We should head to the beach.

Goon: Cut it out, Himoo-san!
Yuina: True World Domination Robo!!

The robot she summons starts the fight by hitting you with three attacks in sequence:

Obedient Drill Punch

Despotic Missile Shower

World Domination Mega Beam

Under normal RPG rules, this could potentially be really annoying. However, for some reason, only one of those attacks actually does damage. I guess this is what Yuina meant by emotional preparation!

The robot pretty much dies to any attack, so of course I used Cyber Fang to kill it. There is no kill like overkill!

Robo: Gkkkhhhhh...

Yuina: I... I lose. I have been utterly defeated.
Goon: Are you okay? Any injuries?
Yuina: My path is certain. And now, I must excuse myself.
Goon: Hi, Himoo-san...

"Himoo-san, could you build that robot again? It was REALLY COOL."

3/1: Graduation day!

Goon: The graduation ceremony's finally over. The principal's speech went on for way too long.

Goon: Huh? There's a letter for me in my desk. Who's it from?
Goon: Let's see, "I'm waiting for you under the legendary tree". There's no name signed anywhere.
Goon: I have to hurry.

When you compare this to how Shiori walked up in silhouette back in chapter 20, it's pretty nifty. The little shrug really adds a lot of character here.

Goon: Hi... Himoo-san...
Yuina: I was waiting for-- no, that's not right.
Yuina: I'm sorry for calling you out to a place like this
Goon: Is... Is something wrong? You're not your usual self, Himoo-san.
Yuina: It's... it's fine. I've decided that I'm going to change.
Goon: What? Change?
Yuina: Yes. I'm going to change.
Yuina: Up until now, I've been drunk on my own talent. I've looked down on other people.
Yuina: No matter how you look at it, I was an awful girl.
Yuina: I thought that all of the girls talking about love and romance were fools.
Yuina: But at some point, a new feeling started filling my heart.
Yuina: I quickly realized that I was in love with you.
Yuina: But I was a woman who sold her soul to a demon named Science.
Yuina: In order to suppress those giddy feelings, I lost myself in my research.
Yuina: But... as graduation approached, those feelings grew stronger and couldn't be contained anymore.
Yuina: So, I challenged you to a fight in order to completely reject that love.
Yuina: The result... I don't think I even have to say it, but...
Yuina: I lost everything to you.
Yuina: I can't stand the thought of you hating me.
Yuina: I'll give up my ambition to rule the world.
Yuina: Because my ambitions have changed... to being loved by you.
Goon: To tell you the truth...
Goon: Himoo-san, I...

Yuina: R... really?
Yuina: Then my ambitions have been fulfilled!
Yuina: I'm so happy...
Yuina: I think...
Yuina: Even if I'd taken over the world, I wouldn't have been this happy.
Goon: I'm happy too.
Yuina: I'll try my best to become a woman you can love even more.

And that is how the curtain closed on my three years of high school.

When I think about it, it feels like all I did was go to the computer club.

In any case, I'm really glad I graduated.

An elite company has already offered me a job, so I guess there's nothing more to say about that.

Oh yeah, Yuina is also going to work at the same company. We're both hoping we can work in the same department.

She's still conducting some suspicious research, but I feel like I will always walk by her side.

Because, like the legend this school has passed down through the years, our love will last forever.

There will be a brief intermission while I update this thread to be about Tokimeki Memorial 2!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have to say, I'd rather hoped Yuina would also change her hairdo in the ending, at least for a short while. Eternally having one eye covered is ridiculously dorky and if her ending is about her trying to change, that hair would be one place to begin. I think she'd be quite pretty with both eyes visible.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

nielsm posted:

I have to say, I'd rather hoped Yuina would also change her hairdo in the ending, at least for a short while. Eternally having one eye covered is ridiculously dorky and if her ending is about her trying to change, that hair would be one place to begin. I think she'd be quite pretty with both eyes visible.

She does change her hairdo in one of the endings of the quiz game, Tokimeki no Houkago: Quiz Shiyo.

The conversation goes:
Guy: Yuina? What's with your hair? Did you break up with a guy or something?
Yuina: As illogical as always.
Guy: But...
Yuina: I know. A girl is supposed to change her hairstyle when someone breaks up with them, right?
Guy: Y, yeah...
Yuina: Do you remember breaking up with me?
Guy: No...
Yuina: Then there's no way that is possible.

The eye stays covered.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Yuina: But I was a woman who sold her soul to a demon named Science.

That's a hell of a turn of phrase. Does she say the same thing in Japanese?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Aw, that was sweet. I can't wait for the next game!

FractalSandwich posted:

Demon named science sounds pretty Megami Tensei to me.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

Two of the girls in the original TokiMemo do change their apperance in the ending depending on a choice the player make on one of the later dates. Mio (green-haied bookish girl) starts wearing contacts if you tell her she looks cute without glasses, and Nozomi (green-haired sporty girl) grows her hair out if you mention you prefer long hair.

One thing I like about this game is how different the girls are personality-wise, being from before the age of Moe or Tsundere.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So what was stopping her from just taking over the world with Goon?

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

BlitzBlast posted:

So what was stopping her from just taking over the world with Goon?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Achernar posted:

One thing I like about this game is how different the girls are personality-wise, being from before the age of Moe or Tsundere.

I don't think there's a direct causation there. Trashy games are always going to be trashy. New developments in bad writing don't magically turn visionaries into hacks and high art into dross. The only difference is, the "exploitation games" from 1994 aren't well-liked or well-known enough to be Let's Translated 20 years later.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Yes. The exact Japanese is 私は科学という悪魔に魂を売り渡した女.

You can hear it at 1:31 of her ending, conveniently posted on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE1MMQNIkQU

Another note about why Yuina's hair stays over her face: it helps differentiate her visually from Saki, whose hair is dangerously close to being the same color. It's also why they face different ways in their standing pose, to make their silhouettes distinct from each other.

Then again, Saki and Yuina do have way more things that distinguish them than just hairstyle and facing. Saki has that facial tic, for one thing!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 16, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

vibratingsheep posted:

World Domination Mega Beam
Might as well stop here. No girl will ever top this date. :black101:

Disappointed there was no way to join her though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Yes. The exact Japanese is 私は科学という悪魔に魂を売り渡した女.

You can hear it at 1:31 of her ending, conveniently posted on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE1MMQNIkQU

I see. Interesting that the idiom of "selling your soul to the Devil" also exists in Japanese, then. It makes it translate almost too well. It reads as such strongly literary English that it's almost out of place in a game that's otherwise so very Japanese.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Sindai posted:

Disappointed there was no way to join her though.

Me too, I was hoping that's how it would end.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The_Frag_Man posted:

Me too, I was hoping that's how it would end.

Yeah, this feels like a cop out, I mean come on - the megalomania is the best feature :saddowns:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

FractalSandwich posted:

I see. Interesting that the idiom of "selling your soul to the Devil" also exists in Japanese, then. It makes it translate almost too well. It reads as such strongly literary English that it's almost out of place in a game that's otherwise so very Japanese.
It translates well because it's literally a reference to Faust.

Basically, you need to remember that this game is set in Japan, a real country that has been strongly influenced by Western ideas over the last 150 years. Its creators did not engage in a purge to preserve the sanctity of ~glorious Nippon culture~.

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 16, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Soricidus posted:

It translates well because it's literally a reference to Faust.

Basically, you need to remember that this game is set in Japan, a real country that has been strongly influenced by Western ideas over the last 150 years. Its creators did not engage in a purge to preserve the sanctity of ~glorious Nippon culture~.

That's fair, my bad. I guess I just don't think of classical German folklore, in particular, as a strong influence on modern Japanese vocabulary.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

I just realized that it's been pretty much forever since I posted a poll in this thread, and since I'm about to start a new game, I should start throwing them polls out there!

So, here goes the first. Tokimeki Memorial 2 has a prologue that takes place in grade school. There are "meeting the girls" events, which are non-negotiable since there aren't any choices involved. I'll be running those all in order to have a day 1 "perfect" save. However, there are a lot of little choices that will affect your stats to start the game. It's very similar to what happens to Alucard based on Richter's prologue in Symphony of the Night, and is most likely not a coincidence!

We're about to build our new Goon for Tokimemo 2. What kind of kid do you want him to be?

A: A rebellious brat!
B: A lazy gamer!
C: A bookworm! (or artist, both of these can go here)
D: An active athlete!

The poll will close when I post the intro to TokiMemo 2 on Monday. I'll be streaming the first disc of the game shortly afterward - thanks, long weekends!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

My vote is for C.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I like C.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
We're a goon. Of course we're a lazy gamer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
A. We follow the Urameshi-Kurosaki model of getting girls.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

D, so we can punch things better in RPG-mode.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Let's go with D in this case.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Gotta go with B.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

A Brat

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

CandyCrazy posted:

D, so we can punch things better in RPG-mode.

I like this. Never again will we suffer the tyranny of giant bears on vacation! D

Carousel Of Regret
Nov 7, 2013
Yeah, let's go with B - Lazy Gamer. Seems to be the farthest cry from absolute perfection.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

B It's only fitting, really.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
B

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Lazy gamer, ahoy!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I vote C.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Our goon is the artistic, bookish type.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Goon the second has to be B, lazy.

Jynxite
May 1, 2013
C, we're the bookiest bookworm to book book book.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

B, just because "gamer" and "dating sim" just make me think of The God of Conquests himself.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Now is the time to vote B. Goon-chan's only true love is his games.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
I think that this goon should be a rebellious brat. It'd be a nice contrast to super perfect Gunpei, he spent all last game being what somebody else wanted us to be but not this goon.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
C. More inferior science!

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
B we must make our goon as realistic as possible.

After the prologue, are you letting the thread vote on which girl to go after? I remember the some girls in TM2 being a bit more gimmicky than the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aidenyx
Jan 15, 2008

Stick it to the man and go for the A!

• Locked thread