Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

prom candy posted:

That's usually what happens when they discontinue something popular. The successor is often not as good though, and occasionally the line just disappears, ie Jerker -> Frederik -> nothing.

Yeah. I would gladly take a Fredrik right now, but I wish I could find a Jerker. The Galant will have to suffice, but it's a bit plain. Jerker was the perfect size and features combo for what I need. (Lovely avatar by the way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I sold my 10 year old Jerker for more than I paid for it on Craigslist in 90 minutes. it was just an "okay" desk and I really don't understand the cult following. is it just because it's huge and cheap (like your mom)?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

I sold my 10 year old Jerker for more than I paid for it on Craigslist in 90 minutes. it was just an "okay" desk and I really don't understand the cult following. is it just because it's huge and cheap (like your mom)?

I don't get it, either. It looks like cheap IKEA trash vs. decent IKEA stuff. I hate their cheap silver paint and the light colored wood laminate, they scream cheap. Their dark laminates look rather nice, IMO.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It was affordable and had multiple shelves. I have limited space, which is why I really wanted one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Affordable, multiple shelves, fits limited space:

IVAR

I swear you can make this look moderately allright if you don't live like poo poo like me.

e: JERKER was the perfect DJ station though, what with size, shelf and the fact that you could make a standing desk from it pretty easily.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 31, 2014

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm going to be selling a Jerker in the very near future, if anyone lives in the GTA and is willing to pick it up send me a PM. I'm replacing my desk and my girlfriend's desk with a nice long piece of Numerar counter top and then putting up some built-in shelves and drawers. Can't wait to post the before/after, our desk area has looked like poo poo basically since she moved in.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

IVAR

I swear you can make this look moderately allright if you don't live like poo poo like me.

e: JERKER was the perfect DJ station though, what with size, shelf and the fact that you could make a standing desk from it pretty easily.

This looks rad and is rad.

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

IVAR

How easy would it be to make this a standing desk? The desktop and shelves are adjustable correct?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Flipperwaldt posted:

IVAR

I really like this and it would be absolutely perfect for my room. How much did you modify yourself?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tantalus posted:

How easy would it be to make this a standing desk? The desktop and shelves are adjustable correct?
The desktop is just another shelf. There's pegholes along the whole length of the legs about 2 inches apart.

It's not even sold as a desk (although there was a suggested setup like that in the showroom). You can buy shelves, legs and metal support crosses as needed. Be aware that you need to mount this against a wall to prevent it toppling over. The shelves come in two sizes, the deepest being about 50cm. It's only since flatscreen monitors that this has been a viable solution.

This was about ~160€ all together (the school desk with the keyboard isn't part of this IKEA system, to be absolutely clear about that).

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I really like this and it would be absolutely perfect for my room. How much did you modify yourself?
Just bought the parts, painted and assembled it.

EDIT: oh, another thing: this assembly is avertised on the IKEA website as being 130cm wide and it actually was 3cm (more than an inch) wider. It was a tighter squeeze in my situation than anticipated.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 31, 2014

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Updated my desk a little since the last time I posted (which I think was before I got the monitor arm), rearranged it to fit better into the curve the desk, which is ultimately more comfortable. I'd like to get some proper audio equipment and nicer chair in the near future, but the galant is probably my desk

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Got an oil reproduction for my desk area.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Unormal posted:

Got an oil reproduction for my desk area.

And yet, not a single track to put those hideous cables in. (I'm kidding, nice painting though)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

And yet, not a single track to put those hideous cables in. (I'm kidding, nice painting though)

Naw, you right. I keep meaning to do something like built-in shelving for that entertainment area, but never seem to get around to it.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Finally added a Mac to the mix. My power strip/ power supply / router are secured to the wall via velcro, the tablet via command hooks, and I take them down to use the wall as a screen for my projector.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Did you want a setup that shows you all the cords at all the times? Or is there a reason why you have all your power cables visible?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
That built in wifi antenna sure has greater range in that position.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

IUG posted:

Did you want a setup that shows you all the cords at all the times? Or is there a reason why you have all your power cables visible?

OH NOOOoooo cords! Please someone think of the children!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm just asking because he said that he has to take it down every time he uses the screen. I was wondering why he would mount everything to the wall then.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

IUG posted:

I'm just asking because he said that he has to take it down every time he uses the screen. I was wondering why he would mount everything to the wall then.

Fair enough but some people see to have an irrational hatred of visible cables.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Duck and Cover posted:

I wouldn't say it's irrational. It looks like poo poo. I don't like things that look like poo poo.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

I wouldn't say it's irrational. It looks like poo poo. I don't like things that look like poo poo.

It's a cable computers/accessories have them. Having some cables visible is not the end of the world. It's almost as silly as people who hide TVs.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 15, 2014

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Duck and Cover posted:

It's a cable computers/accessories have them. Having some cables visible is not the end of the world. It's almost as silly as people who hide TVs.

Would you have a clear garbage can? Why do you try and hide your trash? Your logic is stupid.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Would you have a clear garbage can? Why do you try and hide your trash? Your logic is stupid.

You know they make mesh trash cans right? In fact you may even from time to time see them next to desks where cables are visible. The horror, oh the horror.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

IUG posted:

SEKCobra posted:

That built in wifi antenna sure has greater range in that position.

It's more of a "I don't have room on my desk or behind my desk" situation. The router is only up there to get out off the ground. I live in military barracks and I don't have a lot of surface room, so I have to use my walls, the rest of my room is covered with command hooks where I hang up bags and stuff. Also they don't tangle as much if I have them hanging up on the wall, as opposed to coil on the desk, which is kind of what's happening between the TV and the laptop, but I can't help that, I have wire-tied those USB cables as much as possible =(. I might even hang my [12 port] USB hub on the wall soon.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

nescience posted:

I live in military barracks

Think of all the space you could have if you got married.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

MancXVI posted:

Think of all the space you could have if you got married.

That has been suggested to me numerous time haha, #battlespouses?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Duck and Cover posted:

It's more like a simple question that people ask, that a lot of folks don't think about, but then when they do, they hide the cables with relatively little effort and make their place look a heck of a lot cleaner, and feel good about it.

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Running a 2560x1440 monitor off a laptop wasn't the greatest idea...

Furd_Terguson
Nov 17, 2004

"sheeeeeit"

angus725 posted:

Running a 2560x1440 monitor off a laptop wasn't the greatest idea...

Why not? Thinking of doing this myself.

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Furd_Terguson posted:

Why not? Thinking of doing this myself.

It mostly depends on what output your laptop has. With HDMI, you run a risk that the graphics card on your laptop might not have HDMI 1.3/4 compatibility. (Which limits you to 2560x1440@55Hz, and quite an annoyance to get setup via Intel's graphics driver).

I doubt you're gaming, but gaming on 2560x1440 on a laptop GPU results in a fair amount of turning down graphic details. (GTX670M)

It also seems to me that my laptop runs a little slower when running both the external 2560x1440 and it's own 1920x1080 screens with visual studio and various other programs. However it's not noticeable unless you're purposefully looking for it.

Since I have both HDMI and a VGA out, I should probably have considered 2x 1920x1080/1200 over a single 2560x1440 for productivity purposes.

angus725 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 16, 2014

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I usually run just one monitor per comp personally. I guess I don't understand why a lot of people run so many comps all at once.

This is a pic from a while ago, but someone asked about running a tv as their primary display; I used to do that.

That's a 32" display, mounted on an lcd arm that's attached to the large wooden beam on the right.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

angus725 posted:

It mostly depends on what output your laptop has. With HDMI, you run a risk that the graphics card on your laptop might not have HDMI 1.3/4 compatibility. (Which limits you to 2560x1440@55Hz, and quite an annoyance to get setup via Intel's graphics driver).

I doubt you're gaming, but gaming on 2560x1440 on a laptop GPU results in a fair amount of turning down graphic details. (GTX670M)

It also seems to me that my laptop runs a little slower when running both the external 2560x1440 and it's own 1920x1080 screens with visual studio and various other programs. However it's not noticeable unless you're purposefully looking for it.

Since I have both HDMI and a VGA out, I should probably have considered 2x 1920x1080/1200 over a single 2560x1440 for productivity purposes.

I run my 2560x1080 display over HDMI and it runs just fine; I have an AMD R9 290 OC'd to 1080MHz on my desktop though :smug:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

I usually run just one monitor per comp personally. I guess I don't understand why a lot of people run so many comps all at once.

wait..you do one thing at a time?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

No, but I don't normally have three laptops and four screens on my desk or whatever. It just seems wasteful to run a bunch of machines at once unnecessarily.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Broken Machine posted:

No, but I don't normally have three laptops and four screens on my desk or whatever. It just seems wasteful to run a bunch of machines at once unnecessarily.

I have no idea how I would use a computer at great length without two monitors. drat.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

Broken Machine posted:

it'd be easier if I could get this program working.

HalloKitty posted:

I have no idea how I would use a computer at great length without two monitors. drat.

imagine eight. They're opening 4 full screens per monitor.

e:wording

nescience fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 17, 2014

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

nescience posted:

it'd be easier if I could get this program working.

Synergy has a known bug they are fixing for Mavericks. In the mean time you can use this workaround if you want

http://synergy-foss.org/blog/mac-os-x-10-9-mavericks-support/

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

benisntfunny posted:

Synergy has a known bug they are fixing for Mavericks. In the mean time you can use this workaround if you want

http://synergy-foss.org/blog/mac-os-x-10-9-mavericks-support/

Thank you, I'll try this tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

nescience posted:

imagine eight. They're opening 4 full screens per monitor.

This article is both awesome and very depressing.

And I really want a 4k computer monitor for $500 now.