Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Owsla posted:

That Sears thing is a mixed bag for me. I looked through 110 pages at 75 items/pg last night and came up with 3 things I wanted. I'm getting a crazy deal on them of course (thanks for the heads up on this seriously) but on the other hand, it was mostly me thinking to myself "wow, I paid a lot more for that when I bought it" for three hours.

Yeah, I did the same thing, but I'll be happy with my $6 reggae albums and eventually I'll feel ok about getting a Man is the Bastard record from Sears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy
So, If A fella was trying to listen to Post-Beatles Paul McCartney, where would he go after Ram, and Band on the Run?
I listened through McCartney 2 and it was not really what I was hoping for, I liked Tug of War.
Is NEW worth a listen?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Deargodalion posted:

So, If A fella was trying to listen to Post-Beatles Paul McCartney, where would he go after Ram, and Band on the Run?
I listened through McCartney 2 and it was not really what I was hoping for, I liked Tug of War.
Is NEW worth a listen?

Just listen to John's solo albums instead.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Deargodalion posted:

Is NEW worth a listen?

'All Things Must Pass' is the best post-Beatles album.

Are you saying you listened to "McCartney 2" but not "McCartney"?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

shmee posted:

Yeah, McCartney's good. And John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is the best solo Beatles record, but All Things Must Pass is second.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
McCartney II is an amazing album. NEW was actually pretty decent, worth one spin at least.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

shmee posted:

'All Things Must Pass' is the best post-Beatles album.

I listened through them both. I guess that was unclear.

CPL593H posted:

I can't get into them, I liked John Lennon/Plastic Ono but everything after that I'm not to keen on.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

John really was a mixed bag. He could write some good stuff, but he could also produce a lot of filler. There were just a lot of times where he just seemed bored with making most of the songs. And honestly, a lot of his albums sound pretty bad. Like, the mixing is just really murky and muddy. And Double Fantasy was alright, as long as it wasn't a Yoko song.

But frankly, Traveling Wilburys Vol I is where Post-Beatles albums peak. George Harrison, coming off a Cloud Nine high playing with Dylan, Petty, Orbison, and Lynne. gently caress yeah. I can listen to that disc until I die.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

John really was a mixed bag. He could write some good stuff, but he could also produce a lot of filler. There were just a lot of times where he just seemed bored with making most of the songs. And honestly, a lot of his albums sound pretty bad. Like, the mixing is just really murky and muddy. And Double Fantasy was alright, as long as it wasn't a Yoko song.

But frankly, Traveling Wilburys Vol I is where Post-Beatles albums peak. George Harrison, coming off a Cloud Nine high playing with Dylan, Petty, Orbison, and Lynne. gently caress yeah. I can listen to that disc until I die.

I agree that his solo work is often hit or miss, but Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, and Walls and Bridges are all gold.

Walls and Bridges is shamefully under appreciated.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Got shipping notices for my Sears orders, time to see how long 99c shipping takes.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

Cloks posted:

Got shipping notices for my Sears orders, time to see how long 99c shipping takes.

it was priority shipping when I did it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Would anyone be interested in my copy of Plains of the Purple Buffalo by *Shels? I didn't want to make an SA Mart thread cause that's all I'm selling I think.

It's the original transparent purple vinyl pressing.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Does anyone know which of the 3 colours of the new Crosses LP is the most limited? My local store just gave me free pick of white, charcoal or pink and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out numbers of the pressings. According to eBay it's charcoal, but you know how that is.

SUPER RARE SOMETHING AWFUL POST ****

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

midge posted:

Does anyone know which of the 3 colours of the new Crosses LP is the most limited? My local store just gave me free pick of white, charcoal or pink and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out numbers of the pressings. According to eBay it's charcoal, but you know how that is.

Buy all three, then you'll have it no matter what.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

You can probably skip the charcoal because it's still up for order at their label.

e: also, I'm unsure if they released their latest EP on pink, afaik/can find the pink is exclusive to their boxset

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 18, 2014

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

midge posted:

Pick whatever looks best or you like most, dummy

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Always get pink. Pink vinyl for life.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Get one in the pink, two in the charcoal.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That sounds dirty.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Speaking of Pink vinyl, the new Converge Live at the BBC 7" is up at Deathwish

http://store.deathwishinc.com/product/DW157v.html

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

So aside from the sad news that Bob Casale died today, it looks like Devo announced a RSD release of an 11-15-77 Max's Kansas City show on vinyl. Previously this had been available on the Mongoloid Years CD, which is rare these days and the set was kind of chopped up on that anyway. They are promoting this as being the "full show", but I'm not sure if that just means the whole early set (which is what the CD almost was), or if they mean both sets (which was mostly different songs).

If it's both the early and late set, this will be a pretty great release. I'll have to check the recordings, but I'm pretty sure there's a long performance of Jocko Homo at that show. There's also a very rare performance of I Need a Chick (as Booji Boy), and Space Junk, which isn't heard often either. 1977 Devo is some of their best shows in my opinion, and the Max's KC shows are highly regarded in bootleg circles.

They also claim to have included some audio uncovered of David Bowie at the show, which is kind of interesting. Unfortunately I won't be able to get a copy because I don't live anywhere near a record store. Hopefully they'll release it on CD eventually like they did with the 2012 RSD live recording.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Finally picked up a copy of The Velvet Underground and Nico from my local store today, I've always wanted it ever since I improved my setup, but I didn't wanna look like some low life that bought it just because Lou Reed Died. So I waited until now to get it.

Just kidding, I'm really not that terrible of a person. (aside from the collecting vinyl part)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

new Wye Oak is up for pre-order from the band

http://wyeoakmusic.portmerch.com/stores/home.php

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The first of my Sears orders arrived - A Ghost is Born and Under the Bushes, Under the Stars. They're record albums and they were here in two days for 99c shipping - I'm probably going to use Sears quite a bit from now.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My Sears order came today, too. A little beat up on the corners, but not bad! I got Who's Feeling Young Now?, Midnight Marauders, and Vs.

Pretty cool little gizmo all in all.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

BigFactory posted:

I got Who's Feeling Young Now?,...

It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

So are the "Back Ordered" records ever going to be re-stocked or should we just treat those as "Sold Out Forever, rear end in a top hat" signs?

Side note: I saw Chris Thile last night at Schermerhorn symphony center perform his solo "Bach and other stuff" show, and was utterly humbled by his talent/charm. loving amazing.

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 19, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DammitJanet posted:

Side note: I saw Chris Thile last night at Schermerhorn symphony center perform his solo "Bach and other stuff" show, and was utterly humbled by his talent/charm. loving amazing.

He's a pretty talented dude. Kinda scary to think he's really just getting rolling now, too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DammitJanet posted:

It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

So are the "Back Ordered" records ever going to be re-stocked or should we just treat those as "Sold Out Forever, rear end in a top hat" signs?

The latter, a lot of the stuff I saw listed as back ordered is out of print. I've honestly never come across a "back ordered" anything on the internet that was eventually restocked.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Scharpling & Wurster's "Rock, Rot, & Rule" is being released, with a RSD special red vinyl pressing:
http://vimeo.com/86865061

This is the comedy bit that basically launched The Best Show on WFMU and one of the funniest comedy bits about music ever, everyone should buy it (at least the regular pressing)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

het posted:

one of the funniest comedy bits about music ever

This is true.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

BigFactory posted:

My Sears order came today, too. A little beat up on the corners, but not bad! I got Who's Feeling Young Now?, Midnight Marauders, and Vs.

Pretty cool little gizmo all in all.

How beat up are the corners exactly? Im a spergy perfectionist when it comes to sleeve condition but these prices are hard to pass up.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. Lenin posted:

How beat up are the corners exactly? Im a spergy perfectionist when it comes to sleeve condition but these prices are hard to pass up.

Packaging was lovely. Looks like it had been dropped. One corner on Vs was pretty crinkley but that was the biggest record too by a smidge.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
My Sears order came and none of my corners are beat up. Actually, everything looks pretty great. The box, for me anyway, was very similar to the Amazon style box for records. I haven't listened to anything yet, but it all came in shrink wrap so I'm confident.

$.99 well worth it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Gonna make an order later tonight when I can. Hope Sears can pull itself from complete and total death so they can at least sell vinyl records online or something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Paper With Lines posted:

My Sears order came and none of my corners are beat up. Actually, everything looks pretty great. The box, for me anyway, was very similar to the Amazon style box for records. I haven't listened to anything yet, but it all came in shrink wrap so I'm confident.

$.99 well worth it.

I've only bought a few records from amazon but their packaging is way better. My order from sears basically came in a brown paper bag with a little cardboard sleeve inside. Not really complaining though. I'll take a beat up corner. I put in another order.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

BigFactory posted:

I've only bought a few records from amazon but their packaging is way better. My order from sears basically came in a brown paper bag with a little cardboard sleeve inside. Not really complaining though. I'll take a beat up corner. I put in another order.

Erm, my packaging looked nothing like that. Perhaps you got strange packaging. I ordered three records and this is what my stuff looked like:

sorry for the bad phone cam.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 20, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bad news in the world of vinyl related home decorating:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/ikeas_expedit_line_is_biting_the_dust_and_vinyl_nuts_arent_happy_about_it

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Why am I thinking about buying a backup bookcase?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Why do I get the feeling that these loving shelves are going to be price gouged on ebay real soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why am I thinking about buying a backup bookcase?

Because worse comes to worse they're tailored for a market that has a history of being consistently able to flip old, discontinued things at a reasonably high margin?