Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well to be fair it wasn't so much threw an idler as it was lost one to a fuckoff large anti-tank grenade.

Could you give me more info on what a Voroshilov's Kilogram was please. It's not something I've heard of. Thanks!

EDIT: All I've been able to find is this: http://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/sovietbalkan/russia/rpg41.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

big_g posted:

Could you give me more info on what a Voroshilov's Kilogram was please. It's not something I've heard of. Thanks!

RPG-41, an anti-tank grenade with 1400 grams of HE that could penetrate 25 mm of armour by sheer concussive force. Against suspensions or roofs of tanks, you don't need more.

The device was pretty drat heavy for a grenade, and only had a range of 15 meters tops.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Here are the final pics of the Ferdinand for you all. Thanks for following the progress and commenting. Really happy with how the modulation effect tones down with filters and weathering. Really enjoyed it as a first go. It's probably my best model to date.

Next I have a Tamiya Panther Ausf G turning up on Monday which I'm totally itching to get started on. Will probably try the same effect again but will be a bit more complex as it has more broken up shapes to shade. To be fair the Ferdinand is just a big box.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Very nice! Why is the gun completely black?

I made a Tamiya Panther somewhat recently, it's a pretty nice kit. Are you going to do Zimmerit?

Also, I found a T-35 for sale yesterday. I'm pretty excited to get started on it, I've never seen one for sale before, not even on eBay.

Edit: pictures.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 16, 2014

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Very nice! Why is the gun completely black?

I made a Tamiya Panther somewhat recently, it's a pretty nice kit. Are you going to do Zimmerit?

Also, I found a T-35 for sale yesterday. I'm pretty excited to get started on it, I've never seen one for sale before, not even on eBay.

Please tell me where you found that kit? It seems to be the only T-35 kit out there and looks like it is OOP. I probably have a snowballs chance in hell finding it outside Eastern Europe (I think ICM is Ukrainian).

In short - I hate you and love you at the same time and I want that kit.

I forgot to add: Land Battleships! :ussr:

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 16, 2014

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Spitfire Emporium. Good luck getting another one, they just got in someone's old stock, and they only had one of these. I know it's rare as hell, so I'll lovingly document every step of the assembly process so that others may live vicariously through me.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

That thing looks amazing, reminds me of the Indiana Jones tank. I love the weird looking pre-war stuff that never quite made the big time.

Speaking of, I just finished:

Grumman XF5F 'Skyrocket', 1/48th from Minicraft. A really nice kit this one, the only things I added were seatbelts, the antennas and antenna wire. I used that 'EZ-line' stuff for the wires and can confirm it's ideal for that sort of thing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Unkempt posted:

That thing looks amazing, reminds me of the Indiana Jones tank. I love the weird looking pre-war stuff that never quite made the big time.
That's actually a replica Mk VIII‎ "male" tank built on the chassis of some tractor and with a random turret stuck on it. It's apparently sitting in Disney World right now, according to the random dude working there I asked last time I visited.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lovely job! I also enjoyed reading about the building; I'll remember that 'dots' technique.

Possibly of interest to the thread: I have a blog now.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
T-35 assembly, day one: transmission and engine.

Nice and clean in their compartment to the read of the vehicle. The size of this compartment is reasonable compared to tanks that aren't insanely huge, but it only composes less than half of the length of the hull. Traditionally, the engine will be flanked by radiators, but there don't seem to be any in my reference photograph.

This photograph also gives away the simplified natures of the clutch braking mechanisms, but they won't be seen when the model is assembled, so that's acceptable. You can also see the remains of the fan above the transmission. In this kit, the fan is mounted on top of the hull. Also, those two boxes circled in red are missing from the model. I think these are gas tanks. Anyway, they do make the compartment seem a lot less lonely than mine is right now.

It's also ridiculously clean. I'm pretty sure in real life, it won't remain this clean throughout the assembly process, let alone in combat a parade. Let's grime it up a little.

Much better. Might as well paint the hull too, since it will be a massive pain in the rear end to do once the suspension is in place.

Also, I discovered a nasty surprise lurking in the box.

Over the many years this box spent on various shelves (the date on the hull tub is 1997), the top armour section has warped. Thankfully the plastic is not brittle, and it is still intact. I'm likely going to have to bring in some C clamps when gluing it on, though.

Coming up next, the suspension!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
That T-35 is pretty cool. Awesome find!

I would love to know the thought process behind that tank besides, "bigger is better comrade". Also shows you how thick the armour was in that thing since it's only 0.2 tons more than a Panther. (yes I know there was about a 10 year difference in production dates)

Apparently the tanks were prone to transmission failures and almost all of them were abandoned without seeing any combat.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
There are two things a tank can do on the battlefield: destroy things with armour, and things without. 45 mm guns are good at shooting a small shell quickly, which is good for piercing armour. 76 mm guns are good at shooting a big shell slowly, which is good for putting lots of explosives in. Technology to handle the recoil of a gun that can do both and fit into a tank at the same time wasn't quite there yet, so tanks had to be good at one or the other. The T-35, with both kinds of cannons, should be able to deal with any threat on the battlefield, and effortlessly cut through any obstacle on its way through enemy lines.

In practice, the tanks were huge, complicated, difficult to command, and unreliable. Less than 100 were built, and few ever saw combat.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I guess the Soviets assumed they would be fighting an enemy without the superior weapons required to defeat 30mm armour.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Unkempt posted:

Grumman XF5F 'Skyrocket', 1/48th from Minicraft. A really nice kit this one, the only things I added were seatbelts, the antennas and antenna wire. I used that 'EZ-line' stuff for the wires and can confirm it's ideal for that sort of thing.

That's a really cool color scheme. Do you have any pictures of the cockpit?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

That's a really cool color scheme. Do you have any pictures of the cockpit?

Not a massive amount to see in there, but here you go:

The silver/aluminium with yellow wings scheme is pretty standard for pre-war US Navy planes.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Beauty job on the Crusader! I'm a sucker for anything in Desert Yellow.

Thanks!

I don't know if this belongs here or in the terrain thread, but I'm planning on putting my Crusader III on a hardpan desert base. Anyone have any recommended materials for doing this? I'd like to have tank tracks left behind the tank, so it'd need some sort of give to the material if possible.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Commissar Canuck posted:

Thanks!

I don't know if this belongs here or in the terrain thread, but I'm planning on putting my Crusader III on a hardpan desert base. Anyone have any recommended materials for doing this? I'd like to have tank tracks left behind the tank, so it'd need some sort of give to the material if possible.

Lots of different ways you could go with that. If it was me, I'd probably mix up a batch of something like Hydrocal/Plaster of Paris/Durhams Water Putty, and then "paint" that over an understructure. Texture it with some sculpting tools and some rolled up tinfoil, maybe a bit of coarse sandpaper. Sprinkle on some sand and small pebbles for interest. You can press the tank tracks down in it once it's set up a little so make the tread pattern. Once it's dry, just paint up and any other little bits for scenery.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

After a long hiatus: I have made a new tiny tank.

Dragon 1/72 Panther G - with steel wheels. I painted it with Ambush camouflage - dots were put on with a brush. The red-brown I mixed up with acrylic paint bought at Wal-mart when my model paint failed me. Worked pretty well, I'd say!

Kept it fairly clean of mud, only doing a little splattering on the back. The tracks I painted black, then painted brown, then blasted with solvent from my air brush. Then I did a steel highlight over top. I used a very light (IE really thinned) filter over everything when done - Tamiya buff, who's dust effect I like.

e: Oh, and the background is a white bristolboard on the stove in my kitchen. Got the idea from the internet...feel dumb that I didn't think of it before!

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 18, 2014

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
T-35 assembly day 2: suspension.

The suspension has a LOT of parts. Here's one bogey:

There are eight of these, 14 parts a pop. Plus they don't fit together very well, so there's a lot of sanding involved.

There are also six return rollers (two pieces) and one of those little shock absorber wheels (8 pieces each) per side. The idler isn't just stuck to the hull, they model the track tightening mechanism (if crudely).

Here's how it looks with all the wheels. But that's not all!

There are still some screens in between the wheels that have to go into place. Phew. Now that this is done, the tank is ready for tracks!

Edit: forgot the reference photo!

Looks about right.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 18, 2014

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

After a long hiatus: I have made a new tiny tank.

e: Oh, and the background is a white bristolboard on the stove in my kitchen. Got the idea from the internet...feel dumb that I didn't think of it before!

That is a very nice tiny new tank indeed. You have the colours down really well for the three tone cammo.

I'm starting putting my 1:35 Panther together tonight hopefully.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

T-35 assembly day 2: suspension.

The suspension has a LOT of parts. Here's one bogey:

There are eight of these, 14 parts a pop. Plus they don't fit together very well, so there's a lot of sanding involved.

There are also six return rollers (two pieces) and one of those little shock absorber wheels (8 pieces each) per side. The idler isn't just stuck to the hull, they model the track tightening mechanism (if crudely).

Here's how it looks with all the wheels. But that's not all!

There are still some screens in between the wheels that have to go into place. Phew. Now that this is done, the tank is ready for tracks!

Edit: forgot the reference photo!

Looks about right.

Reference Photo?

Have a video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owf2e7Xtx70

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Sadly there are no photos of the internals from that outing :(

YagerX
Oct 30, 2012
Hey guys,
I've been building this boat recently and I just need to glue on the masts and set up the rigging. Though I'm not entirely sure how to attach the rigging, do I cut the string into strands and glue them on separately or attempt to tie the rigging on?
Any tips or resources would be very helpful, thanks!

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Sadly there are no photos of the internals from that outing :(

Request some? Most operators of these types of vehicles are happy to share detailed photos.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
T-35 Day 3: tracks.

The tracks aren't anything special. They come on 5 sprues, 72 track links on each. The plastic is sturdy enough that none of them snapped when I cut them out of the sprue.

The tracks don't lock together at all, they just have two small placs that overlap with the previous track link. Primitive, but functional. One nice thing about the kit is that it comes with a LOT of extras. Out of the 360 track links in the package, I only used 279, despite very liberal sagging.

I'll leave the tracks flat black for now and do all the fancy effects after I'm done.

Side note: I am now out of glue. I could have sword I had half a tube left when I started.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
You know you're a historical nerd when you happen upon an inaccuracy in the model kit you're building.

The tank on the right is in the assembly manual, the tank on the left is the one that the decals are supposedly from. You can tell it's a completely different tank, and yet this particular one was unique.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Could be worse man, could be the Airfix 1/76 Sd.Kfz. 234/4.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Could be worse man, could be the Airfix 1/76 Sd.Kfz. 234/4.

Just googled it. Ahaha, what a joke. Whenever I see "Airfix 1/76", my eyes roll.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Just googled it. Ahaha, what a joke. Whenever I see "Airfix 1/76", my eyes roll.
There's a good reason for it, but it's "good" only in that it makes sense how it ended up happening. TBH they hold up well for their age, and a decent number of them are perfectly acceptable kits.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

They're also really old. Airfix is doing a lot of new tool kits that are really nice, though they're mostly aircraft. I think they're doing a few 1/48th modern military vehicles.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They also did a brand new 1/76 Cromwell and KoenigsTiger a year or two back and both of those are pretty solid. I just tend to model for wargaming though, so the insane internal fiddly detail makes me go :effort: unless it's integral to the structure of the kit, in which case it's more :argh:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A useful list would be "Airfix: the good kits."

News that excited me: At some point this year, Italeri is bringing out a Sunderland Mk. III :swoon:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

A useful list would be "Airfix: the good kits."

News that excited me: At some point this year, Italeri is bringing out a Sunderland Mk. III :swoon:
This is actually a pretty decent resource for their military vehicles, but it leaves out stuff like every Sherman having a miscast main hull, doesn't have any of the JB Model re-releases, the newer kits or anything post WWII really.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

They also did a brand new 1/76 Cromwell and KoenigsTiger a year or two back and both of those are pretty solid. I just tend to model for wargaming though, so the insane internal fiddly detail makes me go :effort: unless it's integral to the structure of the kit, in which case it's more :argh:

Yeah, I was one putting together a GAZ-AA truck from some obscure Ukrainian manufacturer, and half of the drat thing was somehow connected to the shoddy engine that barely went together. Incredibly annoying.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
T-35 Day 4&5: small and medium turrets

The small machinegun turrets seemed like too small an update to do on their own, so I got more glue and rolled the medium 45 mm cannon turrets in as well.

Here is a machinegun turret from the inside. Kind of bare, but better than some. The MG is there, so is some details opposite of the pistol ports and vision slits.

Here it is assembled. Since there's something actually inside, I left the hatch open to show it off. Sadly, the same cannot be said for the 45 mm gun turrets. They have nothing on the inside, not even the machinegun or cannon breech. Their hatches are closed.

Also, the 45 mm guns had no bores. The barrels were solid. I had to carve one out with a soldering iron.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 21, 2014

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

T-35 Day 4&5: small and medium turrets

Also, the 45 mm guns had no bores. The barrels were solid. I had to carve one out with a soldering iron.

Soldering Iron?!? I presume you didn't have a pin vise, I think you should get a pin vise. Maybe it is more a tiny mans tool than a scale modellers tool .

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I've never even heard of a pin vice before now. Looks like a great tool for long barrels you can look into, but a soldering iron is good enough for making a small hole in the end of the barrel so that it doesn't look flat and ridiculous.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I find it to be very handy for drilling a guide hole so I can tidy up the muzzle brakes of stuff TBH. It's a great tool in general, and you should get one in case you build one of those mad Tamiya kits that doesn't bother to pre-drill holes for you to stick things into...

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
A pin vise is an absolute necessity if you really wanna get into this hobby. Dozens of uses. Tamiya does that for their car models too, kinda annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I just got a cheap hex drill bit. Plastic isn't that hard so the hex is just big enough to twiddle with your fingers and get some action going.