Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

So, lately I've been listening to a lot of Toku music through an App called "8tracks" and I've realized that I am very, very dumb. One of the stations plays "Giant Step," an awesome Fourze insert song. The thing is, I'd heard Giant Step mentioned in this thread and other places before, but I never bothered to find out what it was because, in my mind, I'd come under the impression that Giant Step was some special promo song for Fourze's "Giant Foot" switch. :v: I have no idea why, other than the obvious name connection, but I never put it together until now that Giant Step was that awesome song playing during so many great Fourze moments.

Endless Play is even better. And Cosmic Mind beats em both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Endless Play is even better.

Please don't troll.

Scratchman Apoo posted:

And Cosmic Mind beats em both.

See, this is an example of not trolling.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It might not be rubber suit heroes, but Over-Time just put out a batch torrent (or maybe it's just an update for the SD version, either way watch this show) for The Hero Yoshihiko, which is a wonderful JRPG parody and hilariously low budget.

It also rips off Monty Python and the Holy Grail a lot and season 2 is mostly just rehashed jokes from season 1. Still though, it's one of the more entertaining Japanese live action comedy show's I've watched, and worth taking a look at if you haven't checked it out before.

E: Doing a search on this thread gives me only three or four posts for "Yoshihiko" so obviously more people need to be watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-AM6H7Rkxk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQYAuuVRaTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OqSN-iLNPE

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 16, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yoshihiko was rad, but shy away from the second season. Mostly it's just a retread of the first anyway. Pretty similar to Akibaranger seasons one and two.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ignis posted:

All aboard the imagination station
Posted on February 16, 2014 by Ignis
I wanted to use this at least once before Megan posts a year-long's worth amount of train gags
Traingers are a go. No ETA atm because it was literally just decided thirty minutes ago and some of the people involved are already asleep.

Raw’s gonna take a while though.

p.s the whole point of this post is to spread this pic around, because it is awesome

So, looks like Tokyuuger is happening. Choo choo!

The post in question, with the pic they mention: http://over-ti.me/tldr/aboard-imagination-station/

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
This thread was restarted fairly recently, I'm sure the last thread has a lot of Yoshihiko talk in it, since that's when the first season was airing.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Some things I noticed:

It's almost as if the producers were apologizing for Kyoryuger not killing off a ranger by having everyone dead from the start.

Ahahahhahahahahah OT is going to have fun with the ending credits.

Train Facts:suicide:

Tea Bee
Apr 7, 2013
Overall, I'd say Kyoryuger was a fun experience. It was the most fun I had watching a super sentai since I started in 2009. I didn't even completely dislike the ending. Still, I felt the need to watch Dekaranger for the first time to wash the bad taste of forced romance out of my mouth and I've been marathoning it ever since.

I wonder if it's because of laziness or it's just them trying to stay safe, but I wonder why they reuse themes so often. To my knowledge, all the more gimmicky ones do better in ratings and toys (Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Shinkenger, Boukenger) in comparison.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Is there a reason for the Toquger to be switching colors like that, or is Red just on some kind of crazy :catdrugs: and thought it would be a good idea?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The man called M posted:

Some things I noticed:

It's almost as if the producers were apologizing for Kyoryuger not killing off a ranger by having everyone dead from the start.

Ahahahhahahahahah OT is going to have fun with the ending credits.

Train Facts:suicide:

Except they did sort of kill off a ranger: Torin. And since he was the last to formally join the team the "Dino Curse" as it were was still technically fulfilled. Not to mention the fact that we had two rangers that were already technically dead before the series started.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Bounce Back was the best Fourze song though.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Midnight Crew finally releasees v...2's for Kuuga.

I you couldn't stomach the raws they used for the previous versions like me, this should finally make the series watchable.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Larryb posted:

Are there any Rider series that have an at least somewhat statisfing conclusion?

Kuuga has the most satisfying ending to me out of all the heisei era

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I'm never able to isolate the insert songs in order to listen and appreciate the during the shows, my puny brain is busy watching and reading, so I really need to go back and check these out. Thanks! (By the way, Samba doesn't count, I heard and loved Shift Up Beet Buster the first time and was sad every scene it wasn't used.) They also had the TaToBa song, which I liked. I always knew PutoTyra's ruled, but I never checked out the others, so I'll have to do that too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Okay so I watched the last episode of Kyoryuger. I have so much I want to say about it, so I might as well start with something snarky: I thought Kamen Rider was supposed to have the unfulfilling finales?

-Amy x Daigo, still horribly forced. If I'm meant to feel happy these two are together, too bad, I'm not. I have no idea why they decided this was a good idea. It's not even that we couldn't leave our loving Gary Stu without a couple, he already had Yayoi and Meeko. But nope, gotta end up with Amy for no reason whatsoever!

-That last battle. Jesus was that boring. It was just Daigo beating the crap out of who was MEANT to be super dangerous but sure as hell didn't show it now. Not only is it a really bad move to just exclude the rest of the team frmo the loving final battle, they also make it an absolute curbstomp the moment people start singing. Deboss, you're the most disappointing Sentai final villain in a long while. I miss Enter...

-That part with Candelira in Hell. Uhh...okay, so Luckyuro always had something that let them enter Hell alive. This was said a grand total of zero times before. This changed almost nothing, and could've been entirely avoided. I know WHY they do it, and I think it wasn't a bad reasoning, but it was still really badly done. Don't pull stuff out of your rear end in the last loving episode! Or ever, for that matter.

-All the Zyudenryuu go to space. Umm, cool. I thought that only Plezuon could, but I guess now everyone can because plot magic. Consistency isn't brave, I guess.

-Rappapou ended up being so disappointing. He's beaten with extreme ease by Plezuoh, and then he gets killed in the Spirit Base, having accomplished absolutely nothing. I guess the base just needed to be destroyed because Sentai, but it was repaired a few minutes later so this changed absolutely nothing.

-The new Cyan/Grey...get completely ignored in this episode. One episode after they debuted. And they didn't do much in their debut, either. What was the loving point in Shinya and Yuuko becoming Kyoryugers?!

-Minor, but putting all attacks at once while killing Chaos only made each call impossible to understand.

-You'd think Yayoi would care a bit more about Daigo ending up with Amy, but she seems to just shrug it off. There's a grand total of one scene (her crying when Daigo reappears and goes to Amy) that even remotely suggests she cares. Stop being such a loving doormat.

There were some parts I actually enjoyed, though! They just weren't remotely good enough to make me stop caring about how much this episode did wrong.

-Doctor Ulshade and Yayoi copiloting Plezuoh? Awesome. In fact, just getting more Doctor is awesome.

-Every moment Candelira and Luckyuro had was great, even with the asspull I mentioned earlier. Torin telling them to live bravely and Candelira imitating his finger snap, telling Nossan to keep smiling and deciding to live for the humans' sake, helping that little girl...it was all great. Almost made me cry.

-Chaos' strategy of letting himself get killed to stop Torin was pretty good. I was actually disappointed when he got killed in one blow by Dantetsu...then Dantetsu himself realizes something's just plain wrong with that. And then it dawned on me. Son of a bitch.

-Everyone singing was neat. Nowhere near as neat as an actual, proper final boss battle would've been, but it was neat.

tl;dr bad finale, gently caress Daigo. It's sad because I truly loved Kyoryuger. I thought it'd be poo poo at first, that it'd be another Goseiger, too dull to care about, sticking too hard to the status quo because the previous series tried something new and failed in the market (I thought Go-busters was pretty good though!). The first few episodes didn't help, they were too rushed, too focused on shoving new toys down our throats. The villains felt entirely one-dimensional. But the series managed to win me over. It was clever, fun, exciting, the villains were funny and deeper than expected. Everything was great, except for one thing, and I think that one thing is what gave us this lackluster finale.

This series was Daigo Sentai Kingranger. For some reason the entire series seemed to go around him. The Gabutyra Human episode might be the best example of this (apart from this loving finale), even though it was meant to be an Ian episode, pretty much every other line was asking where Daigo was or saying how cool Daigo was.

I hope Kyoryuger 100 Years After and VS ToQger fix a bit of this poo poo, because wow, I'm actually annoyed. This is not the ending Kyoryuger deserved. Riku Sanjo for the loving love of god, you can write better than this. Digimon Xros Wars' ending might've been anticlimactic, sure, but it was still awesome. This wasn't even that.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Riku Sanjo for the loving love of god, you can write better than this.

RBX posted:

I had no idea sub groups actually skip shows, I thought that was a joke.

So this is the plot?:

The ToQger heroes are ghosts that protect young children from an untimely death in accidents and being taken to loving hell. Because consider it, all the parents are looking for their missing kids. Main bad is an Ohranger baby?

Sounds fuckin awesome.

why are you grimdarking this?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 16, 2014

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
didn't mean to double post. dammit...

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 16, 2014

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Okay so I watched the last episode of Kyoryuger. I have so much I want to say about it, so I might as well start with something snarky: I thought Kamen Rider was supposed to have the unfulfilling finales?

-That part with Candelira in Hell. Uhh...okay, so Luckyuro always had something that let them enter Hell alive. This was said a grand total of zero times before. This changed almost nothing, and could've been entirely avoided. I know WHY they do it, and I think it wasn't a bad reasoning, but it was still really badly done. Don't pull stuff out of your rear end in the last loving episode! Or ever, for that matter.

I'm pretty sure that thing was a plot point a while back, so it didn't come out of nowhere.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Yeah he said they could write better than that. Thanks for reminding us about this masterpiece of animation, perfect example.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

HKR posted:

Midnight Crew finally releasees v...2's for Kuuga.

I you couldn't stomach the raws they used for the previous versions like me, this should finally make the series watchable.

To be honest, the raws aren't even the worst part of watching the old versions, it's the timing. I mean, I'm a timing snob now (everyone who learns how to do it becomes one, everyone who doesn't couldn't give a poo poo), but there were multiple lines that were only visible for 1-3 frames (0.03~0.1 seconds). A player like mplayer where you have nice easy keyboard pause/rewind/frame-advance makes it possible to back over these and read it, but oi.

Blaze Dragon posted:

-Amy x Daigo, still horribly forced. If I'm meant to feel happy these two are together, too bad, I'm not. I have no idea why they decided this was a good idea. It's not even that we couldn't leave our loving Gary Stu without a couple, he already had Yayoi and Meeko. But nope, gotta end up with Amy for no reason whatsoever!

Er, go rewatch episode 2 if you think this was out of nowhere.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

AzraelNewtype posted:

To be honest, the raws aren't even the worst part of watching the old versions, it's the timing. I mean, I'm a timing snob now (everyone who learns how to do it becomes one, everyone who doesn't couldn't give a poo poo), but there were multiple lines that were only visible for 1-3 frames (0.03~0.1 seconds). A player like mplayer where you have nice easy keyboard pause/rewind/frame-advance makes it possible to back over these and read it, but oi.

I was only able to watch the first episode before I signed off on "waiting for new raws" so I didn't see that, but yeah that would drive me nuts too.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Also Yayoi's debut episodes. Right as it starts establishing a rivalry between her and Amy, Amy drops the entire thing and outright says something to the effect of "This is dumb and holding me back, I'm not gonna think about it anymore." Her confessing comes off as an indirect "I might not see you again so I have to say this" but Daigo already knows what's going on.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 16, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's out of nowhere. There were two episodes that alluded to the fact, yeah, but even those felt completely random and tacked-in just to make the Daigo is the best attitude the series has all the more blatant.

Oh well, I'm taking a children series too seriously, so I'll just calm down. Getting annoyed at bad finales is not brave.

You know what is, though? A friend was playing around with the speed settings on Youtube on ToQger's opening. It's actually really nice at 0.5 speed. And the "go! go! go!" part at 0:07 is hilarious at 2x.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

AzraelNewtype posted:

Oh my god yes. I'm watching Kuuga now and some text is up for like a millisecond. Too bad i'm on episode 12.

Also Kuuga's OP really has grown on me, I love it. Great show so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Goddamn Kuuga had a huge death toll. It was kind of ridiculous.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
New idea: Tea sentai

Give me money toei

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

-That last battle. Jesus was that boring. It was just Daigo beating the crap out of who was MEANT to be super dangerous but sure as hell didn't show it now. Not only is it a really bad move to just exclude the rest of the team frmo the loving final battle, they also make it an absolute curbstomp the moment people start singing. Deboss, you're the most disappointing Sentai final villain in a long while. I miss Enter...

-All the Zyudenryuu go to space. Umm, cool. I thought that only Plezuon could, but I guess now everyone can because plot magic. Consistency isn't brave, I guess.

-Rappapou ended up being so disappointing. He's beaten with extreme ease by Plezuoh, and then he gets killed in the Spirit Base, having accomplished absolutely nothing. I guess the base just needed to be destroyed because Sentai, but it was repaired a few minutes later so this changed absolutely nothing.

-The new Cyan/Grey...get completely ignored in this episode. One episode after they debuted. And they didn't do much in their debut, either. What was the loving point in Shinya and Yuuko becoming Kyoryugers?!

-Minor, but putting all attacks at once while killing Chaos only made each call impossible to understand.

-You'd think Yayoi would care a bit more about Daigo ending up with Amy, but she seems to just shrug it off. There's a grand total of one scene (her crying when Daigo reappears and goes to Amy) that even remotely suggests she cares. Stop being such a loving doormat.

There were some parts I actually enjoyed, though! They just weren't remotely good enough to make me stop caring about how much this episode did wrong.

-Doctor Ulshade and Yayoi copiloting Plezuoh? Awesome. In fact, just getting more Doctor is awesome.

-Every moment Candelira and Luckyuro had was great, even with the asspull I mentioned earlier. Torin telling them to live bravely and Candelira imitating his finger snap, telling Nossan to keep smiling and deciding to live for the humans' sake, helping that little girl...it was all great. Almost made me cry.

-Chaos' strategy of letting himself get killed to stop Torin was pretty good. I was actually disappointed when he got killed in one blow by Dantetsu...then Dantetsu himself realizes something's just plain wrong with that. And then it dawned on me. Son of a bitch.

-Everyone singing was neat. Nowhere near as neat as an actual, proper final boss battle would've been, but it was neat.

tl;dr bad finale, gently caress Daigo. It's sad because I truly loved Kyoryuger. I thought it'd be poo poo at first, that it'd be another Goseiger, too dull to care about, sticking too hard to the status quo because the previous series tried something new and failed in the market (I thought Go-busters was pretty good though!). The first few episodes didn't help, they were too rushed, too focused on shoving new toys down our throats. The villains felt entirely one-dimensional. But the series managed to win me over. It was clever, fun, exciting, the villains were funny and deeper than expected. Everything was great, except for one thing, and I think that one thing is what gave us this lackluster finale.

This series was Daigo Sentai Kingranger. For some reason the entire series seemed to go around him. The Gabutyra Human episode might be the best example of this (apart from this loving finale), even though it was meant to be an Ian episode, pretty much every other line was asking where Daigo was or saying how cool Daigo was.

I hope Kyoryuger 100 Years After and VS ToQger fix a bit of this poo poo, because wow, I'm actually annoyed. This is not the ending Kyoryuger deserved. Riku Sanjo for the loving love of god, you can write better than this. Digimon Xros Wars' ending might've been anticlimactic, sure, but it was still awesome. This wasn't even that.

You are really stupid and should rethink your opinions.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P587Kiv0dYA

An alternate theme song.

It's not the "C'Mon 'N Ride It" mashup that I'm hoping for, but it's still amusing.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Adnachiel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P587Kiv0dYA

An alternate theme song.

It's not the "C'Mon 'N Ride It" mashup that I'm hoping for, but it's still amusing.
It's certainly no "Walk the Voltasaur"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So someone calling themselves the "[Imagination Station]" released ToQger.

So the color switching seems to mostly be Right loving around which sprouts one of the team's combat gimmicks. It's like an in-team Gokai Change.

Pink going "I think I can, I think I can" (good translation choice) and turning into SuperKagura is adorable.

The translation has the Ticket the team "may as well be dead" which means there really is a grim undertone to the whole rainbow trains series.

The design for the villains is fantastic. A cohesive theme, an interesting cast in and of themselves. I want to see what they can all do.

After Kyoryuger's ED cavalcade of children dancing, the new ED gimmick is essentially this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_I0EGhcB4

One question: What is TJG supposed to stand for?

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

The new show is fun and happy and if you don't like it you are either mature enough to not post here or you hate fun.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I would have watched at least a couple more episodes of ToQger before deciding on whether or not I cared enough to keep watching it, but ending the first episode with "you're all dead" shows that this show has bite underneath its Rainbow Imagination Trains surface.

I'm on the hype train.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I liked when the conductor sang along with his handpuppet.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I would have watched at least a couple more episodes of ToQger before deciding on whether or not I cared enough to keep watching it, but ending the first episode with "you're all dead" shows that this show has bite underneath its Rainbow Imagination Trains surface.

I'm on the hype train.

Who cares about bite. It's Thomas the tank engine power rangers

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I actually liked the first episode quite a bit. :shobon: Hopefully this'll be the series that gets me into Sentai.

I am super into the premise, too. Can't wait for dead superhero shenanigans

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The villains have the best designs i've seen in awhile. Totally on board for this show. Hopefully the train puns never stop. :allears:

Apollove
May 31, 2013
I am fully on board the hype train for this season. I pretty much loved everything this entire episode. The only thing I can think of that kinda bothered me was that ToQ 4 didn't get as much screen time as the other 4, which isn't really all that bad in all honesty as its just the first episode. And I guess it also bothered me that Raito knew what to do immediately, but I'm guessing it was because he was literally imagining what everything would do and it did exactly that.

The villain designs are excellent and almost a bit complex to contrast the sorta streamlined look of our heroes, but not to an annoying point. And the conductor is such a fun character.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I usually can't get into Sentai, but I think I kinda loving love ToQger already. Best Sentai mecha design in a long time, a finishing move that is literally anything, and ToQ5 owns so hard.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Trill Twisty posted:

New idea: Tea sentai

Give me money toei

Dekaranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollove
May 31, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

Best Sentai mecha design in a long time, a finishing move that is literally anything

See thats the thing, from what I've seen people are either fine with, or loathe the mech design this time. I personally think its pretty nice, and fits the show, not just because of the obvious train connection thing, but because its the "Rainbow" line, and all the colors lined up like that is kinda like a rainbow

You know, if rainbows had a bunch of weird color placements.

• Locked thread