Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Rythe posted:

Kid's don't make it much harder to get all the goodie in toys,you just have to figure out how to keep them out of their reach and get used to saying "Stop touching Daddies toy, they are not for you children."

Lord Business, is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Keldroc posted:

drat it, I can't upvote on SA.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

This post is to confirm that yes, the Lego Movie was a direct indictment of everyone in this thread, and for that alone, it is movie of the year.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rei_ posted:

This post is to confirm that yes, the Lego Movie was a direct indictment of everyone in this thread, and for that alone, it is movie of the year.

Not emptyquoting. Go watch it now if you haven't already.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rei_ posted:

I don't pour glue on things by the gallon, I'm not some sort of savage.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Keldroc posted:

You have no idea, I have my toys and they have a big giant tub of Lego and Transformers to play with so they leave Daddy's stuff alone, I am a terrible person.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

3 posted:

Not emptyquoting. Go watch it now if you haven't already.

It's so loving good, and it's a must-see for anyone who has ever collected toys.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The trick my mom used when she collected the action figures of the Starjammers was to buy a second set for me and my sister to play with.

We played the hell out with them, and I'll never regret it. :colbert:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Soooo... am I gonna have to scalp for Cosmos and Swerve and the other Legends or what? I'm around Chicago in the US.

I THINK BBTS is gonna make good on my Skids preorder. Fingers crossed...

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I just put a sign on the door that says "Awesome Room of Fun Beyond Your Imagination"

Then I put a series of incredibly intricate locks on the door and a few false ones and hide the keys all over the house. Also some of the keys are separated into pieces or resemble everyday household objects.

All these other methods just sound really convoluted and cruel IMO. You're not teaching your kids anything.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Soooo... am I gonna have to scalp for Cosmos and Swerve and the other Legends or what? I'm around Chicago in the US.

I THINK BBTS is gonna make good on my Skids preorder. Fingers crossed...

Unlikely. The rumors of cancellation turned out to be wrong, and they even announced two repaints for the size class.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

Unlikely. The rumors of cancellation turned out to be wrong, and they even announced two repaints for the size class.

But apparently Swerve and Cosmos were under ordered though according to BWTF.com.

But they're getting put into later wave case mixes, so they'll show up later.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I managed to find a Takara G1 Cosmos while waiting for the Legends figure, $5 well spent.

After picking him, Warpath, and Kup up (I really should see if they still have that Jetfire with add-on parts still there, $30, but something just looks off about it), and then messing with some of the new Generations stuff, I have arrived at a realization. There are not enough alt-mode parts incorporated into new movie Transformers. The best new transformers are the ones with the alt-mode bits being a big part of the robot. Generations Warpath, Hoist, Waspinator, and the mini-con team being some big examples of that. All of them have clear large bits of their alt-mode visible on them, but in a way that blends well with the robot. Looking at the movie stuff, Optimus has gotten rid of his truck window pecs, and the car toys seem to hide all the car bits. Even Grimlock seems to do his best to not look like he came from a T-rex. It really makes me appreciate the Generations line that much more. (except my ulra-loose, missing a paint app Hoist, dammit Hasbro, I know he's a good toy under all that messed up.)

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Absolutely true. The biggest weakness of the movie designs has always been the strange reluctance to incorporate identifiable alt-mode kibble into the robot modes. In the first film Jazz was an early favorite of mine purely because he had the hood chest.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

So I haven't seen this posted yet:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I found some better photos of Evasion Mode Optimus:

With a headswap, he'll make an excellent Generations Prime.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Silhouette posted:

With a headswap, he'll make an excellent Generations Prime.

Ehhhh. Cover his head with your finger. Hes still poo poo.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Something about his shoulders makes me feel he's more Ginrai than Optimus, though he doesn't appear to have fake chest windows.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anora posted:

After picking him, Warpath, and Kup up (I really should see if they still have that Jetfire with add-on parts still there, $30, but something just looks off about it), and then messing with some of the new Generations stuff, I have arrived at a realization. There are not enough alt-mode parts incorporated into new movie Transformers. The best new transformers are the ones with the alt-mode bits being a big part of the robot. Generations Warpath, Hoist, Waspinator, and the mini-con team being some big examples of that. All of them have clear large bits of their alt-mode visible on them, but in a way that blends well with the robot. Looking at the movie stuff, Optimus has gotten rid of his truck window pecs, and the car toys seem to hide all the car bits. Even Grimlock seems to do his best to not look like he came from a T-rex. It really makes me appreciate the Generations line that much more. (except my ulra-loose, missing a paint app Hoist, dammit Hasbro, I know he's a good toy under all that messed up.)

I think both leader and voyager AoE Grimlock has as much T-rex parts in robot mode as G1 Grimlock. The G1 robot had T-rex feet claws on its wrists with T-rex arms and head on its back. The AoE toys have T-rex feet on their forearms and the T-rex head forming shoulder kibbles. The AoE Dinobots all generally look like they transformed from dinosaurs.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Silhouette posted:

I found some better photos of Evasion Mode Optimus:

Is this actually in the movie? Because a G1 reference in the fourth movie almost feels like trolling. Like somebody went: "here, nerds! Here's your G1 Optimus in a Bayverse movie!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Arsenal_12 posted:

Is this actually in the movie? Because a G1 reference in the fourth movie almost feels like trolling. Like somebody went: "here, nerds! Here's your G1 Optimus in a Bayverse movie!"

I believe current speculation is that it's likely for the opening, like the ice cream truck mode for the race-relations twins in ROTF.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Gaz-L posted:

I believe current speculation is that it's likely for the opening, like the ice cream truck mode for the race-relations twins in ROTF.

So that version of Optimus disproves the filmmakers' claims that he can't be very red because of the limitations of CGI, and Drift disproves claims that they can't do robots with humanoid faces because they couldn't pull it off. Therefore a G1 aesthetic movie was always 100% possible and the Bayverse filmmakers are even bigger assholes than we thought.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Or, and this is a long shot, maybe computers have gotten more powerful since 2007.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
And that version of Optimus is not red in the movie, it's all like a rusty beige.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
^^ That too.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

So that version of Optimus disproves the filmmakers' claims that he can't be very red because of the limitations of CGI, and Drift disproves claims that they can't do robots with humanoid faces because they couldn't pull it off. Therefore a G1 aesthetic movie was always 100% possible and the Bayverse filmmakers are even bigger assholes than we thought.

If you take a look at the actual packaging, even as the classic cab it seems to have a weathered, washed out version of the existing blue with red flames paint job, it's just the toy that has the traditional colours.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Actually there was some big news about DOTM where they explained the tech could finally show the proper red without making it look fake, and they were showing it with Mirage. Calm down, no conspiracy this time!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The toys seems like they're different colors from the movie. In the trailer, Grimlock doesn't seem to be gold or poop brown, and what dinobots we do see don't seem to be bright neon colors. Also, from pictures that Optimus looks like its a beat up beige truck, while the toy is in G1 colors. Go figure.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

The toys seems like they're different colors from the movie. In the trailer, Grimlock doesn't seem to be gold or poop brown, and what dinobots we do see don't seem to be bright neon colors. Also, from pictures that Optimus looks like its a beat up beige truck, while the toy is in G1 colors. Go figure.

The thinking is probably "gently caress screen accuracy, bright colors stand out on shelves." Fine by me

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The evasion mode optimus on the box has little flame decals on him. So I'm guessing the toy is not to be screen accurate to the movie.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 17, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

Actually there was some big news about DOTM where they explained the tech could finally show the proper red without making it look fake, and they were showing it with Mirage. Calm down, no conspiracy this time!
Pity they didn't have the tech to put the Mirage toy on shelves though.

I'm sad we'll never get the white Wheeljack remold too, on that note.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spiderdrake posted:

Pity they didn't have the tech to put the Mirage toy on shelves though.

I'm sad we'll never get the white Wheeljack remold too, on that note.

There's only going to be 10 Generations AOE Deluxe toys in 2014, 6 Voyagers, and the leaders. Pretty sure the bulk of the movie lines released are all going to be the simplified versions. DOTM is probably considered too complex for everything else other than AOE Generations.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
It's an HDR photograph, but here's "evasion mode Optimus Prime"'s vehicle mode in the movie:

It's got flames, sure, but it also has the white stripe.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Also look at these Kre-on guys:

Mindwipe and Trypticon have guys. Maybe a larger released figure for those two are coming?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Jaruga(r)? In the US in mass retail in ANY form? Well dog my cats.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also look at these Kre-on guys:

Mindwipe and Trypticon have guys. Maybe a larger released figure for those two are coming?

torosaur? jetwash? Are they just making guys up now for kreons.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Kreo Liokaiser, when?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Hasbro listing for Legends in 2014 states that the partners will become weapons as well as armor for the legends guys.

I wonder if we're going to see the PCC Minicons again or the Arms Micron guys get released in some form as partners. Or if they're going to wind up being newer versions of powermasters/breatforce guys.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

catch22 posted:

The thinking is probably "gently caress screen accuracy, bright colors stand out on shelves." Fine by me

As well as "Those idiots will buy these all over again when we put them out in screen-accurate 'Premium' repaint releases next year."

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
For those in the Seattle area my wife just called me from the Bellevue ToysRUs and they had the Platinum Edition Optimus and Starscream. I didn't think there were many of you looking for these but I figured I'd mention it just in case. I had her grab me the gaudy Bling Edition Optimus because I have a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Hasbro listing for Legends in 2014 states that the partners will become weapons as well as armor for the legends guys.

I wonder if we're going to see the PCC Minicons again or the Arms Micron guys get released in some form as partners. Or if they're going to wind up being newer versions of powermasters/breatforce guys.

If we get good classics breastforce toys I might have a happiness-related aneurysm.