Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

How do I go about picking a light meter? I can see that Sekonic seems to be the most popular brand, but their model lineup (and price points) seem to be all over the place. What do I want to look for, and which features make the premium models worth those couple extra hundred dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Sekonic Digitalmaster L-758 is, imo anyway, the best light meter ever made. Definitely worth saving up for one.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I started with a Sekonic L-558 for the spotmeter capability but now I just use a Gossen Digisix because it is drat small but has both reflected & incident metering. You gotta figure out what features you need and what size you're willing to carry around.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

This may be the stupidest idea on the market.

Especially when you realize that the camera Sony took the guts from (WX200) is cheaper, smaller and faster than that monstrosity.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

grack posted:

Especially when you realize that the camera Sony took the guts from (WX200) is cheaper, smaller and faster than that monstrosity.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I stand corrected.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ha, reminds me of when this bad boy was the pinnacle of cameraphone technology. Also, of cameraphones being a thing:

I actually kindof miss the old candybar phone shape.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I own that phone and it was really good at being a phone and pretty good at being a fixed lens point and shoot.

It still works, but the focusing mechanism in the lens is permanently hosed :smith:

But hey, the fact that it still powers on a decade later ought to be worth something.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

powderific posted:

Ha, reminds me of when this bad boy was the pinnacle of cameraphone technology. Also, of cameraphones being a thing:

I actually kindof miss the old candybar phone shape.

I had the W800. It was the best phone ever!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I had a Sony Ericsson about seven years ago that had an honest to god amazing camera on it. Unfortunately it broke, it was a gift and never came out in my country so I wasn't able to get it repaired.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

404notfound posted:

How do I go about picking a light meter? I can see that Sekonic seems to be the most popular brand, but their model lineup (and price points) seem to be all over the place. What do I want to look for, and which features make the premium models worth those couple extra hundred dollars?

I have a L-758 and a Digisix, both mentioned above, and they're both great for their respective purposes. I had a Pentax Digital Spotmeter I loved but sold it when I got the L-758. I wanted the L-758 so I could have flash spot metering. I take just the Digisix when I want to travel light and don't need anything more than incident metering.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

grack posted:

A solution looking for a problem, perhaps, but I don't think it's a stupid one. It's a bit wasteful because every lens needs its own sensor, but decoupling the lens from the viewfinder is not a terrible idea. I sure as poo poo wouldn't stick the lens to my phone, but I like the potential of being able to stick a small camera on a pole and extend it to places I can't reach while still being able to compose a shot. DSLRs have been exploring this idea for a while now.. first with tethered shooting and more recently with wifi connections.

Sony was just "well, what if we made it REALLY SMALL?" and tried it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't think having a camera to hold on to is a bad thing. I really hate trying to make a good shot on a camera phone or even something like an S90. No reason you can't put anything on a pole either.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I need an external battery pack for my Canon T1i. The battery depletes too much when shooting video. Anybody know where I can get one?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

How much are you willing to spend? Swixtronix makes great external power supplies but they're priced for video pros.

http://www.switronix.com/news/174-switronix-releases-new-hdv-powerbase70-for-canon-t2i

This unit costs more than your camera I think.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

1st AD posted:

How much are you willing to spend? Swixtronix makes great external power supplies but they're priced for video pros.

http://www.switronix.com/news/174-switronix-releases-new-hdv-powerbase70-for-canon-t2i

This unit costs more than your camera I think.

Anything cheaper?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Anything cheaper?

How about a battery grip?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well, I would be getting a light meter only to substitute for a potentially broken/wonky built-in meter on an old camera, so I think all I really need is something simple (and preferably small and pocketable) that can do both reflective and incident readings. Spot metering, or a relatively narrow cone for reflective readings, would be nice, but I don't know if that particular feature comes cheap.

Looks like I'll probably end up with the Digisix or L-208, in any case.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

grack posted:

How about a battery grip?

I already have that. I need something with more juice.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

punk rebel ecks posted:

A battery grip for your battery grip.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

404notfound posted:

I have a Sekonic L358, and while it's nice and small, I wish I had sprung the extra for something with a spot meter.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

punk rebel ecks posted:

You can buy AC adapters for less than $10.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'm planning a week long trip to Iceland this summer. Probably doing some camping and day hikes, so I don't want to carry too much poo poo. I think I'll take a 5d3 + 135/2, 35/1.4 and the Sigma 12-24. Anything else I'm missing? Is it worth renting a tilt-shift lens for landscape shots?

I don't have a light tripod, so that will be at the top of my list for stuff to buy for this trip.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

That sounds like a lot of poo poo to me. Just take what you can and work with what you have.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd take a lens that can shoot wide, and a lens that can shoot kind of long (200-300mm range). I prefer a beefy tripod so I suck it up and lug my manfrotto 190 along with me. And a set of filters.

Everything else feels (to me) like deadweight for shooting landscapes.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, I like wide lens + narrow lens combo for landscapes too. The 35 is just for farting around town, I'd leave it in the car if I went on a hike, or take a shorty forty. Think I'll pick up a 200/2.8 because that looks like a nice and relatively compact lens for pretty cheap.

gently caress heavy tripods, though.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

For Alaska I mostly used a 24mm tilt shift and a 70-300 L IS and never really felt I needed anything else.

I already had a carbon fiber tripod. I'm a small guy , the light weight made it easier for hikes but your mileage may vary depending on your body type.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Re: Bridge camera

Really had my hopes up for the Fuji S1 which just got announced.

Weather sealed
24-1200mm equiv
Fast aperture in its class
980K LCD and 980K(?) EVF
Fully articulated LCD

Samples came out today and they look like poo poo. :(

I ended up buying a used Fuji X-S1 (X10 sensor in a bridge camera with EVF) for a whopping $250 shipped from Amazon merchants.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

I ended up buying a used Fuji X-S1 (X10 sensor in a bridge camera with EVF) for a whopping $250 shipped from Amazon merchants.

Buying used/clearance is the way to go for bridge cameras in my opinion. At full price they're just way too expensive. You might as well buy an entry level DSLR and crop like crazy (EDIT: this is probably an exaggeration). That said, I do think they are underrated. I started on a Kodak bridge camera that I bought on clearance, and it was quite a capable camera.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It's just kind of mind boggling that the top end X-S1 is so low right now. I remember back in 2008 the bridge camera concept was at a low point and people were paying boku bucks for older discontinued 2/3" bridge cams.

I remember I was pretty happy when I found a used Minolta A2 but I never really used it because it was just so slow and the EVF/LCD sucked.

"LCD monitor • 1.8" TFT LCD, 113,000 pixels"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wifi SD cards. I'm leaning towards the Toshiba over Eyefi and Transcend.

The Toshiba seems to just be a webserver with thumbnail sized previews of every file on the card and allows 7 connections from anything with a browser. Seems like photos don't auto sync to your device when taken, you have to manually pick the ones you want which seems like the most logical workflow. Plus you get the thumbnail previews so you can quickly scroll through the entire card to pick the ones you want. Given the limited space on my phones 16/32G, I'd rather not autosync full size photos.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Shaocaholica posted:

Wifi SD cards. I'm leaning towards the Toshiba over Eyefi and Transcend.

The Toshiba seems to just be a webserver with thumbnail sized previews of every file on the card and allows 7 connections from anything with a browser. Seems like photos don't auto sync to your device when taken, you have to manually pick the ones you want which seems like the most logical workflow. Plus you get the thumbnail previews so you can quickly scroll through the entire card to pick the ones you want. Given the limited space on my phones 16/32G, I'd rather not autosync full size photos.

Just not goddamn Kingston because each article I read about them makes them sound more and more worthless.

Also I hear the EyeFi is pretty much only good for "grandmas taking pictures of Christmas Morning" and are hilariously too slow for anything you actually care about.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
loving all cameras with WiFi should just work like this. No lovely apps. Just act like a hotspot with a webserver showing pictures/movies on the card. Menu page for setting the password and SSID name is all you'd need to configure. Even better if the webpage offered multiple download options for downscaling the image from the native size on the card in case you didn't want the full 36MP image for FB.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

loving all cameras with WiFi should just work like this. No lovely apps. Just act like a hotspot with a webserver showing pictures/movies on the card. Menu page for setting the password and SSID name is all you'd need to configure. Even better if the webpage offered multiple download options for downscaling the image from the native size on the card in case you didn't want the full 36MP image for FB.

Unless i'm wrong, that sounds like it would empty the battery in very short order.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

Canon's app is pretty good, although it's annoying that they haven't bothered to make an ipad specific one and you just have to use an ugly scaled iphone version. If it was just a little apache server of pictures and imagemagik it wouldn't support remote shooting.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Sigma 50mm Art... Supposed first test images... GIEF NAO!!!

http://photorumors.com/2014/02/27/first-sigma-50mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-art-lens-test/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

How does that compare to the previous Sigma 50/1.4 HSM? I haven't read much about the new one but at first glance it looks longer physically :/

edit: wow its way longer 68 mm (2.69″) vs 100 mm (3.94″). I might get it just to have a new toy to play with the D700 thats been collecting dust for years.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 1, 2014

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Sigma reps have said they are gunning for Otus quality so either its real good or they're just totally full of poo poo.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Sigma reps have said they are gunning for Otus quality so either its real good or they're just totally full of poo poo.

Just looked up the Otus. WTF is this supposed to mean?

"With the highest contrast performance over the entire image field, even at an aperture of f/1.4, this lens offers the spectacular medium format look when working with a modern SLR camera."

From the Zeiss product page. Do MF lenses naturally have more contrast? That sounds really dubious. Plus its not like contrast is all that big of a deal in the digital age of contrast and local contrast sliders to the rescue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'd figure they mean the field of view and sort of bokeh of a 80mm/2.8 on a medium format camera. I guess the implied sharpness of a larger format sensor, too, since the 35mm format lenses have to work more for it.

As far as the old 50mm goes, trying to use it wide open, it's somewhat soft, especially in the corners. The 35mm Art is goddamn sharp wide open, which is what I hope the new 50mm will be, too.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 1, 2014