Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It just occurred to me. Iron Jonah is basically Marvel's version of the DC Animated Universe's General Eiling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Wade_Eiling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjAO2NRcPqs (basically what I'm expecting Iron Jonah to do)

Fun fact: Eiling was voiced by J.K. Simmons, who played J-Cubed in the Raimi movies. And like J-Cubed, even after destroying several city blocks trying to kill some Justice League B-Listers in the hopes of attracting Superman (who was off-world at the time), he just leaps into the air still proclaiming he was 'right' even after they talk him down and tell him he's become what he hated, proving he'd learned nothing.

Sounds pretty Jonah-ish to me.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

after destroying several city blocks trying to kill some Justice League B-Listers in the hopes of attracting Superman (who was off-world at the time),

"Justice League B-Listers"? Those were the Seven Soldiers of Victory. Respect your golden age super teams!

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with the weekday colourist? The weekday strips' colours are NEVER correct, not in all the years I've seen newspaper spidey! :psyduck:

Sunday is probably Larry himself, weekdays is one single guy somewhere who paintbuckets every syndicated strip there is.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

"Yeah, holy poo poo isn't he supposed to be bulletproof or something, how do you guys take on Doctor Doom all the time?!"

That's my favorite thing about DOOM :doom:

He loving wears a pistol that he shoots once in a blue moon, because he can't be assed to pick it up out of the holster to blast someone with it. He'd rather just point. I can completely see him as some tea party open carry nut wandering around the marvel universe bitching to people about how he'd run the country better.

I don't think he's ever actually shot RICHARDS :doom: with it either. Other people apparently loving blast him all willy nilly but DOOM :doom: is just like "gently caress that, I'm gonna use the flesh of my would be true love girlfriend who I condemned to hell to make this bitching armor and then I'ma spook him to death! Or just, you know, lock him in a big library. Whatevs."

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

"Justice League B-Listers"? Those were the Seven Soldiers of Victory. Respect your golden age super teams!

So C-Listers then.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Random Stranger posted:

Honestly, I initially wondered why the gently caress the hero from Dragon's Lair was on the Justice League.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It just occurred to me. Iron Jonah is basically Marvel's version of the DC Animated Universe's General Eiling.

Or, you know, more accurately, it's an even sillier take on the original Spider-slayers.

And, like a lot of what works in the DCAU, Elling is strongly inspired by Marvel's own stories and characters, in this case General "Thunderbolt" Ross and Jonah.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gann Jerrod posted:

Even better, the Sunday colorist has the right colors, so once a week you'll get Iron Jonah as a GOLDEN GOD:

He's just going JJJ3. :v:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Random Stranger posted:

Dude, Frankenstein and Klarion weren't even in the episode.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
e:f;b

prefect fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 16, 2014

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

David Wilkerson's The cross and the switchblade.
Issue #1
Cover Date - January 1, 1972

DisMafugga fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 17, 2014

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
So i'm guessing that predates TMBG's 'Museum of Idiots'.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

John Dyne posted:

Honestly, I initially wondered why the gently caress the hero from Dragon's Lair was on the Justice League.

"Why's the Lone Ranger riding a motorcycle?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibis the Invincible makes Zatana look positively underpowered. Also he's kind of a dick.

Whiz Comics #89

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 17, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's some :effort: storytelling. He might as well as IBISTICK! COMBINE ALL THE VILLAINS INTO A SINGLE PERSON THAT I CAN PUNCH INTO THE MOON!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ImpAtom posted:

Ibis the Invincible makes Zatana look positively underpowered. Also he's kind of a dick.

Whiz Comics #89
He's like that one kid in the group who pulls some bullshit power out of his rear end when you're pretending to be superheroes.

"Nuh-uh! Your freeze ray didn't work 'cause I made a forcefield!"

Deadpool # 11

The page would be great if it weren't for the last panel.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 17, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lurdiak posted:

Or, you know, more accurately, it's an even sillier take on the original Spider-slayers.

And, like a lot of what works in the DCAU, Elling is strongly inspired by Marvel's own stories and characters, in this case General "Thunderbolt" Ross and Jonah.

Man I always forget that there was a time in comics when JJJ just tried to straight up murder Spider-Man. :psyduck:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

DarkCrawler posted:

Man I always forget that there was a time in comics when JJJ just tried to straight up murder Spider-Man. :psyduck:

Currently he's still trying to murder him. There's rarely a time when he isn't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DarkCrawler posted:

He stopped short of wanting to murder him, but he DID finance the completely illegal creation of the loving Scorpion to take Spidey down and unmask him.

From Amazing Spider-man 25, the original spider-slayer issue:

This single page is wackier than anything Sam Raimi or Mark Webb have dreamed up. :allears:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DarkCrawler posted:

You mean like literally the last issue of Spider-man?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well geez. I guess that mustache isn't just for show.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Action Tortoise posted:

Deadpool # 11

The page would be great if it weren't for the last panel.

My favorite part is the narration box in the first panel. It's not because it's morally wrong to kill someone; it's because he won't let you. :)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjAO2NRcPqs (basically what I'm expecting Iron Jonah to do)

Fun fact: Eiling was voiced by J.K. Simmons, who played J-Cubed in the Raimi movies. And like J-Cubed, even after destroying several city blocks trying to kill some Justice League B-Listers in the hopes of attracting Superman (who was off-world at the time), he just leaps into the air still proclaiming he was 'right' even after they talk him down and tell him he's become what he hated, proving he'd learned nothing.

Another fun fact, the episode was written by Warren Ellis, who didn't know Simmons had been cast and would have liked to have knowingly written dialogue for him.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gann Jerrod posted:

Even better, the Sunday colorist has the right colors, so once a week you'll get Iron Jonah as a GOLDEN GOD:

I'm pretty sure this is the best Spider-man comic being released outside of Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Alright, I've become what I hate, I'll give you that."

This dialog. :allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For a Slott comic, I thought JJJ's anti-Spider-man Robots were pretty good in.. Spider Island I want to say? "People laughed at me when I spent 90% of the cities budget on these! But who's laughing now?" or something.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DisMafugga posted:

Issue #1

He's got something in his hand! :byodood:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

He stopped short of wanting to murder him, but he DID finance the completely illegal creation of the loving Scorpion to take Spidey down and unmask him.

From Amazing Spider-man 25, the original spider-slayer issue:

This single page is wackier than anything Sam Raimi or Mark Webb have dreamed up. :allears:

The best thing is that they perfectly adapted it in Spider 67
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqNCz2_7jk

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DisMafugga posted:

Issue #1

Also made into a movie starring Pat Boone and Erik Estrada.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Rachel Rising # 4: Noah has just inexplicably murdered his fiance and buried her corpse in the woods, when along comes someone else with a body to dispose of...

Many unspeakable deeds later (Rachel Rising # 23)...

Shitshow fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 17, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spidey Super-Stories #22

I love that last panel; it looks like Ms. Marvel just jumped out a fifth-floow window to Five Star Frog Splash those guys.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like the Watchmen font and also the implication that she's psychic.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Spidey Super-Stories #22

I love that last panel; it looks like Ms. Marvel just jumped out a fifth-floor window to Five Star Frog Splash those guys.

It would appear that Dumb Donald has turned to a life of crime.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Hot drat, gotta get me some of those "NAKED SECRETS" and all that "LOVELESS LOVE".

Evil Mastermind posted:

Spidey Super-Stories #22

I love that last panel; it looks like Ms. Marvel just jumped out a fifth-floow window to Five Star Frog Splash those guys.

Seventh sense? If psychic crime-knowing is her seventh sense, what is her sixth??

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

She can always tell when it's raining. It's like, she's got ESPN or something.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

choobs posted:

Seventh sense? If psychic crime-knowing is her seventh sense, what is her sixth??
Going from a bob to a feathered flip hairstyle in just seconds.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Evil Mastermind posted:

Spidey Super-Stories #22

I love how the criminals took the time to write how much money they've stolen on their bags.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Spidey Super-Stories #22

What's her sixth sense?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

goldenoreos posted:

I love how the criminals took the time to write how much money they've stolen on their bags.

It makes it easier to divvy up the loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Hakkesshu posted:

I like the Watchmen font and also the implication that she's psychic.

She is! Carol's "Seventh Sense" is a longstanding power; she lost it (IIRC) when she became Binary but it should be back now. It's a limited precognitive sense.

• Locked thread