Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a call-blocking app on Cydia? I did a cursory search but I only found 1 app for iOS 4.x. I'm on 7.0.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Call blocking in what regard?

Blocking is built in to iOS7 but only for specific #s. I'm not sure of any updates call blocker jailbreak apps.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Call blocking in what regard?

Blocking is built in to iOS7 but only for specific #s. I'm not sure of any updates call blocker jailbreak apps.

Is there call-blocking built into iOS7? I'm only looking to block a specific number and last I checked (about two years ago) iOS didn't have anything for it and my provider wants to charge for it. I just need something that sends a specific caller a busy signal instead of calling me.

e:: So there is, huh. Never mind I guess. Thanks for the info tho.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not sure exactly how iOS7 handles actual blocked numbers (if it sends them directly to vmail or what) but it should be under settings>phone.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I'm not sure exactly how iOS7 handles actual blocked numbers (if it sends them directly to vmail or what) but it should be under settings>phone.

They'll get a busy signal for phone calls, text and iMessages will appear as delivered to the sender but you won't ever see them.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Still getting the 3194 error when it tries to "Verify restore with iTunes".

I've uninstalled iTunes and installed a back version (11.0). Tried it in DFU mode. Tried renaming the host file to host.bak. Still getting the error.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

yamdankee posted:

I've uninstalled iTunes and installed a back version (11.0). Tried it in DFU mode. Tried renaming the host file to host.bak. Still getting the error.

Have you tried with more than one USB cable?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

spongeworthy posted:

Have you tried with more than one USB cable?

Yes. Also, not sure if this helps, but it won't even do a "Delete and Restore" when I go to settings and choose that option. It will try, but it just hangs at the spinning circle forever until I reboot it.

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

yamdankee posted:

Yes. Also, not sure if this helps, but it won't even do a "Delete and Restore" when I go to settings and choose that option. It will try, but it just hangs at the spinning circle forever until I reboot it.

That's because that button is broken if you're on a jail broken iDevice.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The jailbreak is safe, install activator, virtual home, plus whatever else looks neat, voila new OP.

So I came here to read the OP, and realized ... there is no OP. I saw this sparked some discussion.

So I'm sorry, but what is the deal with jailbreaking iOS7? If I have an iPhone 5s, is it safe?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Moogs posted:

So I'm sorry, but what is the deal with jailbreaking iOS7? If I have an iPhone 5s, is it safe?

Yup.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Is there any precedent for an admin to fork off the last twenty pages of this thread into a new one for the current jailbreak? A new thread would lose a lot of good and pertinent information in this older, closed thread.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 10, 2014

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

That's the point of having a good op. Summarizing all the useful information into one big starting point.

Just... Someone's gotta take the time to do it and stuff.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

BrainDance posted:

That's the point of having a good op. Summarizing all the useful information into one big starting point.

Understood, I just meant appending them on to a new OP, for all the commentary and such. I'll see if I have some time tomorrow for a new one unless someone else wants to write it up.

e: I'm not going to have access to my MacBook for a while to set up a new thread. Will look at doing so over the weekend if it hasn't been done yet.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 10, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Oh this is also a good opportunity to remind people, if you use a passcode/touchID along with activator, set the sleep button to do nothing at the lock screen. Sure, you can't turn off your phone without unlocking it, but neither can a thief!

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

BrainDance posted:

This would be immensely helpful. As a first timer in the thread, it's hard to know where to start without a good OP.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh this is also a good opportunity to remind people, if you use a passcode/touchID along with activator, set the sleep button to do nothing at the lock screen. Sure, you can't turn off your phone without unlocking it, but neither can a thief!

This is one of the main reasons I jailbreak.

I figure a real thief will pop out the SIM or throw the phone into the harbour, but at least I've given myself a chance to find it first. Or force a semi-honest person - who may have stolen it had they been able to shut it off - to stay honest.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I'm a big fan of icaughtu pro ($2.50) and cylay ($20/year for 2 devices), even though I have no idea if they will work for real in the event my iOS devices are stolen. They personally give me peace of mind, but i hope I'll never have to use them.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

yamdankee posted:

iOS 7 won't work with versions before 11.1. Have you cleared out any full or remnants of IPSW files on your computer?

Also, when you uninstall itunes, make sure you delete all 5 programs...and in the right order.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 11, 2014

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Hey I finally got it to work yesterday. The scenario that worked was a fully commented out hosts file, my computer at work (which is behind so many firewalls and stuff I can't believe it worked), iTunes v11.0.1, DFU mode, then connect to computer, Shift+Click restore, installed latest iOS 7.0.4 going from 6.0.1.

It makes no sense that that scenario finally resolved it in light of the other solutions and ideas posted. Thanks for all the help though!

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006
Not sure if this is the right thread or not but I have a couple of questions about unlocking.

I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.0.4 and I've attempted to request an official ATT unlock but have been denied. The reasons were:

code:
We cannot find a valid current or former mobile number associated with this device.
This device is not associated with a current or former AT&T account.
I got this phone a couple of years ago as an out of warranty replacement from an Apple store so I don't understand why it's getting denied. Either way I'm hoping to find some other way to unlock. I've never jailbroken a device before so my question is whether or not doing so would allow me to unlock the phone.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Well this was a fantastic tip, thanks.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Anyone have suggestions for an app/tweak that just displays number of unread messages/emails/fb messages in a compact icon-style way on the lock screen?

I want to move away from having my lockscreen full of displaying email stuff (the bars across the whole screen) but would still like to see if i've got anything new without unlocking (in a nice, compact way).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Opioid posted:

Anyone have suggestions for an app/tweak that just displays number of unread messages/emails/fb messages in a compact icon-style way on the lock screen?

I want to move away from having my lockscreen full of displaying email stuff (the bars across the whole screen) but would still like to see if i've got anything new without unlocking (in a nice, compact way).

Wait until OpenNotifier is updated. It doesn't show numbers, but it shows if there are any unread notifications in the status bar.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Are there any Apps / tweaks that allow you to play to play two audio files at the same time?]

edit: also When typing dates on my phone I hate how it displays the text in that horrendous blue font, any way to kill that?

ICHIBAHN fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 15, 2014

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I have an issue with the Apple
store crashing springboard whenever I download an app. I am assuming it has something to do with my JB but I don't know what to check. I have a 4s with the 7.0.4 JB.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I used Bigify to remove the labels from all of my icons, but after updating Bigify (oops) the labels came back and nothing I'm doing is fixing that. I disabled/re-enabled the setting in Bigify, and tried to remove the labels in Winterboard, but they're all still there.

It worked perfectly until I updated Bigify...I guess the lesson is if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Any ideas?

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Winterboard can remove icon labels. Maybe just uninstall Bigify and try that? Were you using Bigify for other tweaking?

Unrelated: is there a tweak like LowPowerBanner that will work with ios7? I absolutely hate the 20% and 10% pop ups.

shootforit fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 17, 2014

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

shootforit posted:

Unrelated: is there a tweak like LowPowerBanner that will work with ios7? I absolutely hate the 20% and 10% pop ups.

Doesn't NoAnnoyance do this?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
If I install an updated app over the original on my phone via iFunbox, will the savedate still be there.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
NoLowPowerAlert (?) removes them. NoAnoyance didn't get rid of them for me, even though it's supposed to.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I think I just screwed something up, hoping someone can help by telling me if I'm going in the right direction.

I have a hand-me-down iPhone 3GS, which was jailbroken and unlocked by the original owner ages and ages ago. I've had it now for years, and the other day I stupidly ran an iTunes restore in order to clear the cruft out of my phone and update because I wanted to use the new Google maps app, and I was under 6.x.

When it was done updating it spit me to the activation screens, and since I don't have a SIM card for the network it was originally locked to I can't escape it.

So I get redsn0w, download the 6.0 ipsw, set it to use that, and after much struggling (it keeps going into recovery mode, maybe I'm blowing my button timing) I get it into DFU mode and run the jailbreak. It seems to be going fine, code scrolling on my phone and what not, but then it hangs on a pineapple logo while saying "
Moving Apps", then reboots and I'm back at the activation screen.

Now I'm getting random iTunes will not connect errors (0x8000065 and 0x800002d)and I'm at a loss. Do I do another iTunes restore and try to jailbreak again? Is their some other way I should be doing this? I really don't wanna be without a phone another day.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Hamburlgar posted:

NoLowPowerAlert (?) removes them. NoAnoyance didn't get rid of them for me, even though it's supposed to.

Yeah, I haven't had luck with NoAnnoyance actually turning off any of the alerts it is supposed to. Not sure why some people seem to be having luck with it and I'm not.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I've started using a personal VPN on my iPhone (5/ios7) but have noticed that it won't automatically reconnect to the VPN on-demand or when coming out of lock/sleep. Correct me if I'm wrong, but reading on the webs makes it sound like there isn't any stock way around this issue. Are there any reliable tweaks out there that fix the problem?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Exactly zero of the notification blockers I've tried have done jack poo poo.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

slomomofo posted:

I've started using a personal VPN on my iPhone (5/ios7) but have noticed that it won't automatically reconnect to the VPN on-demand or when coming out of lock/sleep. Correct me if I'm wrong, but reading on the webs makes it sound like there isn't any stock way around this issue. Are there any reliable tweaks out there that fix the problem?

Also interested in this; I haven't been able to find anything--stock or tweak--that addresses the issue.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

slomomofo posted:

Pretty sure this is an ios 7 issue which may be fixed in 7.1. I haven't seen a tweak based fix. :(

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Bummer... oh well, guess automatic privacy will have to wait. Having the option on stock would make me mighty tempted to ditch the jailbreak. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for someone to release a jb for 7.1, though, given the 7.0 track record.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Well, this has at least been educational.

Re-restored to 6.1.3, the re-jailbroke it with redsn0w to get Cydia installed if nothing else. Deleted Setup.app in a third party file manager to get around the activation screen, and voila, fresh jailbroken 6.1.3 with Cydia.

Now I can't figure out how to unlock it to work with my Straight Talk SIM like it was before. Downloaded something called SAM with Cydia, but as I don't really know the details of what carrier it was originally on I'm just trying random settings at this point.

Talked to the original owner (my brother), and he said he had it unlocked by the provider (he doesn't remember who, probably AT&T), so if I have this figured out right the IMEI should be on file with Apple or the carrier or whatever as being unlocked? But then again, he did this in Europe at the time... so I have no idea what I'm doing basically.

Please tell me that there is an idiot proof way to install something through Cydia that will magically give me service on this AT&T Straight Talk SIM again that doesn't me putting educated guesses into the settings in SAM over and over until it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If AT&T unlocked it, you'd get a "congrats on your unlock" type message when you restored it.

• Locked thread