Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I finally got around to playing the HD version of Mirror of Fate, and I kind of like it. I guess I am preparing myself for the release of Lords of Shadow 2. So far the boss battles have been the most interesting part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What'd you like about it? Everyone else I've talked to said it was awful.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Anatharon posted:

What'd you like about it? Everyone else I've talked to said it was awful.

So far I like the boss battles the most, and while I don't think the exploration is nearly as deep as the metroidvanias, I think it has been enjoyable. I also think they have done a great job at taking old Castlevania lore and making it their own.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a Lords of Shadow 2 demo out. I could really forgive the direction the series was going if the devs actually knew how to make a combat system that didn't feel clumsy and weak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dracula vomiting his insides all over a blue crystal cracked me the gently caress up.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Heads up: if you pre-order Lords of Shadow 2 through the PSN, you get Mirror of Fate HD for free. My main complaint with that game was the original 3DS being too drat small for my hands, so I'd love to try it with the benefit of a controller.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

timeandtide posted:

Heads up: if you pre-order Lords of Shadow 2 through the PSN, you get Mirror of Fate HD for free. My main complaint with that game was the original 3DS being too drat small for my hands, so I'd love to try it with the benefit of a controller.

Its not good with any controller. As a free pack in though you can suck its enjoyment dry without getting totally ripped off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The LOS2 demo was pretty fun, the changes to the light/dark mechanic seem way better. Block vs dodging is a bit touchy though, especially since dashing is the only way to move faster in combat. They really shoehorned in that "What is a man" line though. :v:

The end of it mentioned Simon Belmont too, what's his deal in the series now? I thought Mirror of Fate was about Trevor, but I didn't play it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The LOS2 demo was pretty fun, the changes to the light/dark mechanic seem way better. Block vs dodging is a bit touchy though, especially since dashing is the only way to move faster in combat. They really shoehorned in that "What is a man" line though. :v:

The end of it mentioned Simon Belmont too, what's his deal in the series now? I thought Mirror of Fate was about Trevor, but I didn't play it.

Mirror of Fate was Simon and Trevor.

Basically Trevor went to fight Gabriel and got killed. He had a kid before he died and that kid is Simon. Trevor died but was resurrected as Alucard.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
^ might want to spoiler tag those,

I enjoyed mirror of fate, but play it on a lower difficulty because the enemies suck up damage ro a ridiculous extent. it's a passable remake of CVI/III, and I was motivated enough to 100% it after i was done.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I enjoyed mirror of fate, but play it on a lower difficulty because the enemies suck up damage ro a ridiculous extent. it's a passable remake of CVI/III, and I was motivated enough to 100% it after i was done.

Im enjoying it too. Some of the boss battles are really fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only reason I 100%-ed Mirror of Fate was because it was so easy and everything was blindingly obvious and out in the open.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Thats literally the opening cutscene though? Minus the Alurcard is Trevor thing but you'd have to be braindead not to figure that out when the game hamfistedly infers it every single moment that it can as early as it can in the game.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
NES Simon Belmont's weird hunched-over walking sprite looks like someone in the throes of a nightmare who can't unclench his dream body from the position that his real sleeping body is in. This can't be intentional, yet owns.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is it just me or was there too many flashing effects when you hit with any weapons? Half the time I couldn't make out where Dracula/Gabe was due to the weird explosions on screen.

This game looks great but i'm on the fence, to me the blocking and dodging seem clunky coupled with the flashing effects means it's very difficult to react to attacks. Also Gabeula almost instinctively vomiting all over the crystal was hilarious.

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
It's not you - half the time you really can't see the enemy you're attacking (who may or may not be about to hit you) from behind the effects

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The good news, though, is that you can turn off QTEs in the menu!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It feels weird that they'd keep the QTEs in at all if it's always as simple as "Mash anything when the rings collide".

Also does the weird bats that indicate where your jumping to look really lovely to anybody else. It looks like a jpeg of bats and smoke wobbling over an area.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So the controversial scene leaked.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LgRxFK7fCzk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLgRxFK7fCzk

Dunno if its worth discussing as rape chat always goes horribly but here it is.

Its pretty uncomfortable yes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

It feels weird that they'd keep the QTEs in at all if it's always as simple as "Mash anything when the rings collide".

Also does the weird bats that indicate where your jumping to look really lovely to anybody else. It looks like a jpeg of bats and smoke wobbling over an area.

I did not realize they were Bats until you said this. I thought they were a smoke cloud.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LgRxFK...v%3DLgRxFK7fCzk

I'm not seeing rape or anything there, though it is pretty uncomfortable. He chokes her out then bites her neck.

e: VVV I mean besides the themes inherent in the concept of vampires.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 20, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I can sort of see how you can make the connection considering the themes from Bram Stoker's Dracula. But it most definitely can trigger something in survivors.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

Looks like standard horror movie stuff. Not even uncomfortable just yep that's a vampire all right.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

The worst part of the video was the guy being dismissive of the article. The scene definitely had overtones of rape, but as other posters habe said, nothing out of place for a vampire movie. Still, personal comfort is a case by case basis and whoevet wrote the article felt it was out of their comfort zone. Where's the controversy?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Always found it strange that people forget that vampire mythology has had blatant sexual undertones since the beginning.

It was originally about creepy older ("foreign") men piercing innocent young virgin maidens and making them bleed.

The entire thing is about creepy rapists. That's why vampires are EVIL, not Twilight-sparkly highschool romance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's pretty reasonable to approach it from the perspective of vampires started about rape but are so commonly not about rape that it doesn't make rape inherently not out of place if it appears in a vampire fiction.

Castlevania has always been fairly light on the serious sexual imagery vampire stuff. It's been mostly blah blah suck your bluhd stuff. So it's pretty understandable that someone could be comfortable with most of Castlevania and be bothered when this one takes it off in the traditional direction that wasn't really there even in LoS. That doesn't make it not an understandable direction for the creators to go in, but it also doesn't mean it's inherently 'wrong' for someone to not want to see it in their goofy B-Movie game about fighting werewolves and anime fistfighting Satan.

Mister Roboto posted:

The entire thing is about creepy rapists. That's why vampires are EVIL, not Twilight-sparkly highschool romance.

That boat has long since sailed, bro. Vampires have been 'sexy' or tragic-wooby or even flat-out heroic since looooong before Twilight.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 20, 2014

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I got the same semi discomfort from God of War 3 when it switches to first person to kill Poseidon and Zeus. Also choking a defenseless Hera. Granted GoW was always violent but first person made it weird.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Switches to second person for Poseidon. That's really why it probably felt weird.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Speedball posted:

Switches to second person for Poseidon. That's really why it probably felt weird.

Oh yeah you gouge the eyes.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Is it just me or was there too many flashing effects when you hit with any weapons? Half the time I couldn't make out where Dracula/Gabe was due to the weird explosions on screen.

This game looks great but i'm on the fence, to me the blocking and dodging seem clunky coupled with the flashing effects means it's very difficult to react to attacks. Also Gabeula almost instinctively vomiting all over the crystal was hilarious.
No, I felt the same way. It didn't help that like 2/3 of it was a bad climbing set-piece, with gaudy flashing yellow weakpoints. And that reference was straight embarrassing. I also had trouble with my target enemy attacking me mid-combo which I couldn't figure out, but I never played the first one so maybe I was using the wrong weapon or something.

Budohead posted:

It's not you - half the time you really can't see the enemy you're attacking (who may or may not be about to hit you) from behind the effects
Or that's just how the game is apparently :shrug:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Castlevania has always been fairly light on the serious sexual imagery vampire stuff. It's been mostly blah blah suck your bluhd stuff. So it's pretty understandable that someone could be comfortable with most of Castlevania and be bothered when this one takes it off in the traditional direction that wasn't really there even in LoS. That doesn't make it not an understandable direction for the creators to go in, but it also doesn't mean it's inherently 'wrong' for someone to not want to see it in their goofy B-Movie game about fighting werewolves and anime fistfighting Satan.

LoS had the "suck blood from a 12-year old vampire girl and kill her in the process" scene from the DLC, which I thought was way more disturbing than this. Castlevania has always been horror-centric, and there has been some pretty messed up stuff in the series before, including sexual undertones (mostly involving succubi). This new game is about playing as the villain, in which case I think it's more justified (or at least honest) than something like God of War, where you're essentially playing as a violent psychopath who's made out to be a tragic hero.

I don't know, I don't blame anyone for being disturbed by that, but I also like that there's some "bite" to this game where you play as loving Dracula fighting Satan. For whatever reason it doesn't come off nearly as cynical to me as all the sexual stuff in, say, Dante's Inferno, which was just so loving gross and lame all the way through.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I was actually disappointed that Dantes Inferno DIDNT get crazier and just got boring after lust and gluttony.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

ImpAtom posted:

That boat has long since sailed, bro. Vampires have been 'sexy' or tragic-wooby or even flat-out heroic since looooong before Twilight.

Blacula had the beautiful tragic vampire romance back in the 70s, and there's no way that movie came up with it. gently caress, even Castlevania had Symphony of the Night. Maybe you guys have played it? It was kind of an obscure entry in the series.

It's just cool to hate on Twilight because people like hating on things teenage girls like. It's not because it FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGED VAMPIRES OH NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I think it's cool to hate on Twilight because those books/films are rear end from a butt :colbert:

I don't hate them for ruining vampires, though, they're just kind of dumb and lame. Like the whole point of Carmilla was that vampires are sexy and mysterious and tragic, that I don't have a problem with.

There are still plenty of awesome vampire stories being written today (see the comic American Vampire). The thing is, vampires aren't zombies, they're essentially human, which is why they can be actual characters that are capable both good and evil deeds. I do like it when someone bucks the trend and makes them out to be loving scary, though, which is something I would like to see in a Castlevania game where you are playing as Dracula, lord of darkness.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

MarsDragon posted:

Blacula had the beautiful tragic vampire romance back in the 70s, and there's no way that movie came up with it. gently caress, even Castlevania had Symphony of the Night. Maybe you guys have played it? It was kind of an obscure entry in the series.

It's just cool to hate on Twilight because people like hating on things teenage girls like. It's not because it FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGED VAMPIRES OH NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Judging from your arguing skills you should write for Twilight.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

StevenM posted:

Judging from your arguing skills you should write for Twilight.

Oh no! Such an incisive and cutting argument! I am undone!

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Twilight changed vampires fundamentally by turning them into whiny pussies that sparkle in the daylight, not by making them sexual/romantic creatures.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
After going through the demo I've come to the conclusion that this is definitely a "wait for deep bargain/rent" game. The atmosphere seems like it'll be great again and there is the teasing promise of turning into a gigantic dragon at some point but the combat is still sorta bland.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Monkey Fracas posted:

After going through the demo I've come to the conclusion that this is definitely a "wait for deep bargain/rent" game. The atmosphere seems like it'll be great again and there is the teasing promise of turning into a gigantic dragon at some point but the combat is still sorta bland.

I've been wavering between this and 'gently caress, a new Castlevania game, gotta buy' for like a week now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've been going through Mirror of Fate and holy poo poo is that game awful, so this will probably seem like a revelation by comparison.