Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Cervixalot posted:

Sounds good by me. Let's figure out a day and a time, and I'll bust out that HF Damon.

If you're looking for a third to help kill those I've got a St Lamvinus coming in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I used to work at Lush,a nd haven't been in in a while, but I did love Imperial Brown Goose when it was available, and it seems Mitch and Cliff have taken a swing at recreating it...sorta.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

How much does supplication cost in Philly? You're definitely in a unique situation if it's that easy to get - I know it can be difficult to get even in Southern California unless you know when a shipment hits.

$18-23

And I have to disagree with a lot of your post, Hatful.

I think you're conflating 'enjoying how good beer tastes' with 'beer as a hobby'. Think of it like this -- I collect records, too. I can very easily turn on the radio, Pandora, Spotify, Youtube, whatever, and get music streamed to me. But there's something in appreciating the form by intentionally obtaining a record and the ritual of playing it that satisfies a higher level of taste than being a passive audience.

I feel the same way about beer. You mentioned 'having to save it for later' in the context that that's a bad thing. I disagree -- fine wine, fine cigars, fine anything.. doesn't get drank on a random Tuesday. People save nicer things for special occasions. I got home and drank some shelf lambics, because that was what I was in the mood for. Does that mean that I wasted my morning by getting a rare small-batch beer that's (if history proves correct) going to taste fantastic? Absolutely not. I'm glad that I'm one of ~300 people who's going to have the chance to try it. I'm probably going to drink a lot of beer before I drink Back Into the Emptiness. Cheap beer, expensive beer, shelf beer, rare beer. I might buy a case of something common. I'll enjoy how all those taste, but they don't impact my enjoyment of anything that required effort to obtain. Beer, especially small-batch craft beer, is a finite thing.

If you enjoy the way good beer tastes, there's nothing wrong with buying a case of Troegenator and drinking it exclusively.

If beer is your hobby, there's nothing wrong, or 'lower level', about trading or line-sitting for something you'll enjoy.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 17, 2014

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Someone should make a calculator for when to open rare beers. Some sort of "(bottle count x wait in line)x ABV" deal.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

$20+ for a 375 ml?! :psyduck:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Someone should make a calculator for when to open rare beers. Some sort of "(bottle count x wait in line)x ABV" deal.

Let's talk beer 4: My bottle share has a flowchart outlining when and how to blast tapes

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

$20+ for a 375 ml?! :psyduck:

Philly.txt

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

honestly, i'd be surprised if that doesn't already exist.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Me in Reverse posted:

And I have to disagree with a lot of your post, Hatful.

I think you're conflating 'enjoying how good beer tastes' with 'beer as a hobby'. Think of it like this -- I collect records, too. I can very easily turn on the radio, Pandora, Spotify, Youtube, whatever, and get music streamed to me. But there's something in appreciating the form by intentionally obtaining a record and the ritual of playing it that satisfies a higher level of taste than being a passive audience.

I feel the same way about beer. You mentioned 'having to save it for later' in the context that that's a bad thing. I disagree -- fine wine, fine cigars, fine anything.. doesn't get drank on a random Tuesday. People save nicer things for special occasions. I got home and drank some shelf lambics, because that was what I was in the mood for. Does that mean that I wasted my morning by getting a rare small-batch beer that's (if history proves correct) going to taste fantastic? Absolutely not. I'm glad that I'm one of ~300 people who's going to have the chance to try it. I'm probably going to drink a lot of beer before I drink Back Into the Emptiness. Cheap beer, expensive beer, shelf beer, rare beer. I might buy a case of something common. I'll enjoy how all those taste, but they don't impact my enjoyment of anything that required effort to obtain. Beer, especially small-batch craft beer, is a finite thing.

If you enjoy the way good beer tastes, there's nothing wrong with buying a case of Troegenator and drinking it exclusively.

If beer is your hobby, there's nothing wrong, or 'lower level', about trading or line-sitting for something you'll enjoy.

I agree with all of this. There's nothing wrong with just enjoying craft beer that's on the shelf. The way you approach craft beer as a hobby is endless:

Some people hate large crowds, so they don't go to tap takeovers, beer fests, and bottle releases.
Some people hate hunting specific beers that are only released once a year (like KBS and BCBS), so they don't bother worrying about what might drop locally.
Some people like to travel all over the country to go to breweries or events.
Some people like to trade bottles.
Some people like to only drink from local breweries.

It's up to you to decide how you want to approach craft beer as a hobby.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Anyone heading into Max's later for sours? I haven't been all weekend so I'm thinking bout heading up in the afternoon.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
My boyfriend's roommate came home from Total Wine yesterday with a clearanced Ommegang gift set- a 750 each of Three Philosophers, Rare Vos and Tripel Perfection plus a pretty Belgian glass for just $25. :aaa: If I wasn't trying to be frugal with my money I probably would have ran out and got one too (hell, I still might).

On the subject of Ommegang, the Saucer had Chocolate Indulgence on tap this last week as part of a "dessert flight". The boyfriend and I swung by after Valentine's Day dinner for dessert and I tried a glass of that- the tasting notes on the slip included "raspberry nose" and "opening notes of chocolate and peanut butter", but I got exactly none of that. No chocolate taste at all, just a bog-standard stout with a bit of woodiness on the finish. Was this just a bad keg?

And the boyfriend got a glass of Creme Brulee; had like 3 sips out of his glass and I'm good on that for the year. :v:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Me in Reverse posted:

See, I don't get that distinction. The act of collecting doesn't do anything for me. It's just a means to an end. I could care less about "the thrill of the hunt." The main driver behind that post was the fact that more often than not I've been let down by the things I had to work hard to get.

Me in Reverse posted:

And you didn't put any effort into getting that Atrial from me :colbert:

I was just using it as an example because there are a ton of people out there who did put a lot of work into getting it. If I had to do a jump through a bunch of hoops for it I'd be bummed when I finally opened it.

And when I said that thing about "leveling up" I was meaning that as an internal thing, not as being judgemental of people who chase trucks. If that's what makes you happy go for it. Different strokes for different folks. I just feel like the hype is getting out of hand and I need to step away from it for a while.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 17, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

See, I don't get that distinction. The act of collecting doesn't do anything for me. It's just a means to an end. I could care less about "the thrill of the hunt." The main driver behind that post was the fact that more often than not I've been let down by the things I had to work hard to get.

I was just using it as an example because there are a ton of people out there who did put a lot of work into getting it. If I had to do a jump through a bunch of hoops for it I'd be bummed when I finally opened it.

You're misunderstanding me -- I'm not saying that I enjoy the act of standing in line. It is a means to an end, and the end is beer that requires effort to obtain. I'm saying that rare/desireable/limited stuff is going to require effort, and having to do stuff to get it is part of the hobby aspect of craft beer. Again, you can appreciate good beer by buying a case of Troegenator, and you can have a hobby which requires trading and line-sitting. Neither is a bad thing.

And I was just busting your balls, it was irrelevant and I knew the point you were making. That's why I edited it out.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cervixalot posted:

Lush is my "hey, gotta take the dog for a walk, might as well swing by and see what beer is in!" spot in my neighborhood, so I'll keep you all posted whenever new Nomad or whatever hits if you're interested.

I scored a bottle of both Prop and Backyard there like a week after Black Friday, definitely a solid sleeper spot.

Yeah, it's a nice little spot where I've found long-gone stuff sitting there as well. I'm definitely interested in any of the Nomad releases, in particular B6...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I think it's less about collecting and more the experience as a whole. Assuming you go with friends to a bottle release, you get the chance to hang out and bullshit together for a few hours, enjoy awesome food and beer on tap, get some growlers, and take home some limited bottles. If I went by myself, got bottles, and left, I wouldn't be that inclined to go to that many bottle releases either.

When I think about past bottle releases, I don't remember just the act of purchasing the bottles. I remember the bottle share in line with friends (or maybe some new friends around me), the awesome taplist you get to enjoy, the great food, and the good conversations.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Your palate is obviously not trained enough to truly appreciate how good Atrial Rubicite is. :colbert:

(It's one of the best American made framboises)

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 17, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Your palate is obviously not trained enough to truly appreciate how good Atrial Rubicite is. :colbert:

(It's one of the best American made framboises)

It's not a bad attempt at a framboise but when I have easily available and comparable options (FFAC or Frambose de Amorosa or many of the Belgian products like Rose de Gambrinus) I also don't understand the hype that's currently put into AR currently and I definitely agree with Hatful of the disappointment that I experienced when I opened it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Furious Lobster posted:

easily available

quote:

FFAC or Frambose de Amorosa or many of the Belgian products like Rose de Gambrinus

lol

air-
Sep 24, 2007

For anyone else who has 2010 Abyss, break them open asap. Friend warned me that he was starting to see some signs of oxidation and confirmed it for myself when I opened one last night. This was my little personal experiment to see how long I could hold on to a beer, but at least now I've learned that I'm not so inclined to sit on any beer for over a year at most these days.

e: also double lol at FFAC/Rose being "easily available" :staredog: those of you in the Midwest should be drinking those Schells berliners, especially that Framboise Du Nord which is a great play on those styles. And they were pretty much everywhere if I recall correctly.

air- fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 17, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Rose being "easily available" :staredog:

Rose is almost always available on the Belgian order sites when I browse and dream of ordering. Not saying that makes it an inexpensive option but if you want it, you can usually get it. It seems far more common than a lot of the other Cantillon fruit offerings.

Also, Lolita.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

danbanana posted:

Rose is almost always available on the Belgian order sites when I browse and dream of ordering. Not saying that makes it an inexpensive option but if you want it, you can usually get it. It seems far more common than a lot of the other Cantillon fruit offerings.

Also, Lolita.

:rimshot:

Honestly, the above is what I am referring to; there are always a couple of bottle shops in the LA area that will have Rose available and if I really want it, I can easily go on any of the two sites and order a couple of bottles without any fuss.

Compared to what I had to trade for AR, FFAC is so much easier to get; Framboise de Amorosa is easily available at LA during its release and for many months to come; no fuss, no brownpaper hassle, just walk up and buy whatever amount you feel like.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Furious Lobster posted:

:rimshot:

Honestly, the above is what I am referring to; there are always a couple of bottle shops in the LA area that will have Rose available and if I really want it, I can easily go on any of the two sites and order a couple of bottles without any fuss.

Compared to what I had to trade for AR, FFAC is so much easier to get; Framboise de Amorosa is easily available at LA during its release and for many months to come; no fuss, no brownpaper hassle, just walk up and buy whatever amount you feel like.

I agree, fresh Rose is definitely up there with Atrial, but most people don't have access to it and/or aren't willing to place an order overseas for bottles.

There's no way I'd compare Framboise de Amorosa to Atrial or Rose, though. I've never had a Framboise de Amarosa that has wowed me - every bottle I've had was either low on the fruit character, little/no carbonation, or had an almost acetone presence to it.

edit: Atrial wasn't even that limited, and it's funny that so many people consider it hard to get. 3 batches so far. More to be released. Online sign-ups for bottles. The bottle count has to be 2000+. You could easily land one with Backyard Rye, Bourbon County Coffee, Bourbon County Barleywine (all distributed all over the US!). Multiple people have had FTs of Atrial just looking for sours/stouts/ipas they can't get in their area.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 17, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I agree, fresh Rose is definitely up there with Atrial, but most people don't have access to it and/or aren't willing to place an order overseas for bottles.

There's no way I'd compare Framboise de Amorosa to Atrial or Rose, though. I've never had a Framboise de Amarosa that has wowed me - every bottle I've had was either low on the fruit character, little/no carbonation, or had an almost acetone presence to it.

Your description of Framboise de Amarosa is the same such description that I would have given to and have done so in regards to Atrial, almost to a T; the only thing that I really enjoyed is the very nice color that the beer has. But I'll also agree the Amarosa isn't really worth the money and the main point being that Atrial is a disappointing given the easier availability and better tasting option of Rose.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Pretty good bunch of beers this past trip to NYC.

Bells did their debut and was happy that it didn't take much effort to score Hopslam. Bottle shops in general were nicely stocked with Bells though as I already said, I found out too late that a bunch of BCBS showed up that week at Top Hops as well.

And of course, Torst puts up another nice lineup:

Sweet stouts were a recurring theme this trip and 70k was quite pleasant. Overwhelming bourbon nose, then it coats your mouth without being too boozy hot or sticky. I was eyeballing ordering a Dulle Teve, and then they tapped Struise XXX. The bar was pretty dead for a friday night and was grateful that the bartenders poured us a round of samples considering they were charging $10 for a 5 oz :stare: I'm imagining the BA'd version of this would probably be similar to Boulevard's Rye on Rye.

Also really liked Spuyten Duyvil, and it sure was funny to see Williamsburg hipster types ordering $25 Cantillon bottles as if they were Wall Street banker guys partying hard. Highlight beer over there was Dieu Du Ciel Aphrodisiaque, which may as well be a beer chocolate shake. Bar has a pretty cool vibe overall and I think the next place I'd really like to hit next time I'm in Brooklyn is Barcade.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

danbanana posted:

Yeah, it's a nice little spot where I've found long-gone stuff sitting there as well. I'm definitely interested in any of the Nomad releases, in particular B6...

Yup, same. B5 just hit and I think B2 is being fully bottle conditioned and hasn't been for sale yet. He seems to just bottle it when he feels it's "ready" as opposed to having a schedule for them

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

Highlight beer over there was Dieu Du Ciel Aphrodisiaque, which may as well be a beer chocolate shake.

that poo poo is crunk, gonna clear out the shelf next time i see it

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

air- posted:

For anyone else who has 2010 Abyss, break them open asap. Friend warned me that he was starting to see some signs of oxidation and confirmed it for myself when I opened one last night. This was my little personal experiment to see how long I could hold on to a beer, but at least now I've learned that I'm not so inclined to sit on any beer for over a year at most these days.

Yeah, I need to start drinking mine. I have '09-'13 and probably will never get around to doing a proper vertical. I did open a Black Butte XX somewhat recently and there wasn't any noticeable oxidation, it was quite good but very subdued.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

dphi posted:

Yeah, I need to start drinking mine. I have '09-'13 and probably will never get around to doing a proper vertical. I did open a Black Butte XX somewhat recently and there wasn't any noticeable oxidation, it was quite good but very subdued.

Historically Abyss has rotted on the shelves for months in my market, but for some reason this year it vanished within hours and I didn't get a single bottle. Not sure if we got less or people just randomly cared this year or what. But yeah that killed my meager efforts at building a vertical and I don't like the beer enough to trade for it so I guess it's time to start opening bottles :v:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Historically Abyss has rotted on the shelves for months in my market, but for some reason this year it vanished within hours and I didn't get a single bottle. Not sure if we got less or people just randomly cared this year or what. But yeah that killed my meager efforts at building a vertical and I don't like the beer enough to trade for it so I guess it's time to start opening bottles :v:

Hopslam typically lasts months in the Detroit metro area, most of it was gone in 2 weeks. Craft beer is really popular now!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Someone call Jim Koch and ask if the bubble has burst yet

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I can easily trade for Atrial but was never able to land a Ffac. I am pretty much done trading for awhile. I would rather drive to breweries up and down the east coast on a weekend then pay what I have been in shipping.

Winston Chill
Aug 24, 2008

Fine and dandy.
Just drank a bottle of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René. To be honest it was the first bottle of lambic I've actually managed to finish without the taste becoming too overwhelming towards the end. I still have a weird relationship towards the style, but I feel like I'm getting there. The price of lambics here in northern Europe are not that encouraging though (paid over 20 euros for the bottle in a pub) :smith:

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer

Cbear posted:

I can easily trade for Atrial but was never able to land a Ffac.
Same thing for me. I just traded for two bottles of Atrial, but didn't find anyone with FFaC for trade.

Docjowles posted:

If you want a bottle of 2013 I have an extra that I could hook you up with at cost. I wasn't really impressed by it, especially for the price.

Any CO goons headed to the Crooked Stave Ferus Fluxus release tonight? I'm pretty excited to try this one. It's nice that they are releasing more sours to the public now.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Honestly, Coolship Red is where it's at for US-made raspberry sours. Atrial is also really drat good.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

One of my local establishments had a pretty drat good rotation on on Saturday night. They tapped a keg of PtY that morning, which I decided to skip out on because they were opening at like 9am and I really just didn't feel like getting up to go wait in line at like 7am or whatever. The SF Fusion by Lagunitas was awesome, and our local brewery, Altamont Beer Works, had a pretty good 11% triple IPA(Scarcity) on that I guess is brewed with 50% citra and 50% centennial; had an amazing nose, but was kinda sweet. I'm pretty sure they made it specifically for SF Beer Week though and aren't going to make it very often.

Crappy cell phone pic sorry

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Winston Chill posted:

Just drank a bottle of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René. To be honest it was the first bottle of lambic I've actually managed to finish without the taste becoming too overwhelming towards the end. I still have a weird relationship towards the style, but I feel like I'm getting there. The price of lambics here in northern Europe are not that encouraging though (paid over 20 euros for the bottle in a pub) :smith:

drat. do you get Haand stuff? not all of their sours are stellar, but a few of them are quite good and they might possibly be cheaper since they're next door?

crazyfish posted:

Honestly, Coolship Red is where it's at for US-made raspberry sours. Atrial is also really drat good.

Red >>> most beers, really

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mrcowcow posted:

If you want a bottle of 2013 I have an extra that I could hook you up with at cost. I wasn't really impressed by it, especially for the price.

Any CO goons headed to the Crooked Stave Ferus Fluxus release tonight? I'm pretty excited to try this one. It's nice that they are releasing more sours to the public now.

Appreciate the offer! But I had it on draft at least and didn't really care for it either.

Can't make the release event but I'm pretty certain I'll have to be in Denver for work on Weds so I'll try to swing by The Source then and see if they still have any.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mrcowcow posted:

Same thing for me. I just traded for two bottles of Atrial, but didn't find anyone with FFaC for trade.

Working tonight, otherwise I'd be up for that.
I was in the same boat, building an Abyss vert, but couldn't find any of this year's. I don't think I really care enough at this point though.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Hauki posted:

I was in the same boat, building an Abyss vert, but couldn't find any of this year's. I don't think I really care enough at this point though.

I feel this way about almost every vertical I have. Exceptions are maybe things like Bigfoot, JW Lee, or Old Stock, but I still think there's marginal value in having 2 adjacent years vs just having some old Bigfoot.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Hauki posted:

I have heard more people than ever say they weren't interested in picking up any Abyss this year, yet I have never seen the demand so high. This is the first year I can remember where Abyss was actually hard to get in Portland if you didn't specifically go hunting for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I have heard more people than ever say they weren't interested in picking up any Abyss this year, yet I have never seen the demand so high. This is the first year I can remember where Abyss was actually hard to get in Portland if you didn't specifically go hunting for it.

No doubt, though last year was similar. I actually didn't get any last year but found a place selling a few bottles of '12 along with '13 this year.