Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

Furious Lobster posted:

Just did a quick comparison of rates between FedEx and UPS Ground going from Indiana to LA and the difference is worth the effort to choose given that FedEx charges around $27.73 and UPS charges $40.61; I suspected that this is the case because I do a lot of shipping for my beer trading hobby and usually FedEx is almost always the cheaper option in terms of Ground shipping

We do not offer FedEx ground as a shipping option, we only offer FedEx freight options right now, sorry.

We use FedEx Freight as our LTL option, on orders smaller than LTL we provide shipping via UPS. We will likely look into offering FedEx rates in the future, but don't have them available now.

jeomk fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

Kreez posted:

Long shot, but does anyone in Vancouver want one of these but not want to deal with shipping? I'm going to order one to a place across the border in Blaine (I'm there every week picking up stuff for work anyway) and would be happy to bring an extra or two back with me.

crap noticed this potentially too late, have you already put the order in? I might be super interested if you're doing it locally.

Red Stripe
Oct 2, 2003

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Placed my order yesterday. Looking forward to ruining a few pizzas before figuring out how to make a good one~

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Hardtarget posted:

crap noticed this potentially too late, have you already put the order in? I might be super interested if you're doing it locally.

Nope, was just going to put the order in right now, figured I'd check this thread first and see if anyone replied. If you confirm by tomorrow night I'll add a second one to the order.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Ordered up my steel this morning - thanks a bunch for the coupon!

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

Red Stripe posted:

Placed my order yesterday. Looking forward to ruining a few pizzas before figuring out how to make a good one~

Thanks for your order and good luck with your pizzas.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

qutius posted:

Ordered up my steel this morning - thanks a bunch for the coupon!

You are welcome, thank you for ordering.

Red Stripe
Oct 2, 2003

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The steel came in yesterday and I just now realized I forgot to take a post-seasoning picture. The finish on one side is a little worn and had a weird circular pattern in the middle, but the other side is nice and even so that's now my cooking side (I realize this makes no difference in performance, I'm just weird).

Anyway, tonight was a minimum effort test-run so I could kind of get a feel for it without wasting better materials. I used pillsbury pizza dough from a can, off the shelf marinara sauce and deli-pepperoni. Oven was at 525 to preheat and then the broiler was on 500 while cooking. Probably took maybe 5 minutes tops (I should have let it pre-heat more):

This is the second round, the first ended up getting somewhat folded over and messed up because I got over-zealous with the peel:

Got some decent char on the bottom:

Knife smush crust:

It was actually a pretty passable pizza, at least better than the chef boyardee pizza kits. I'm looking forward to making my dough and sauce from scratch now that I'm confident that I won't ruin everything!

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

Hey can you guys at Robinson check on my order. I'm just balancing my books and I saw that you charged me twice for my order. Both charges went through on 1/05 for order 19508298.
I'm sure this is an honest mistake but I would encourage everyone to double check their credit card statement.

SifuToast
Oct 10, 2003

Bring on the Whores!!

noodlesinabag posted:

Hey can you guys at Robinson check on my order. I'm just balancing my books and I saw that you charged me twice for my order. Both charges went through on 1/05 for order 19508298.
I'm sure this is an honest mistake but I would encourage everyone to double check their credit card statement.

God dammit. I can say for certain we were having server problems back around New Years which may have caused it to process twice. I'll try to get our credit card processor (we use paypal) to refund. If not, we'll cut you a check.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

noodlesinabag posted:

I emailed our finance department to submit the refund,r efunding through paypal shouldn't be an issue and you should receive an email when the payment has been refunded. I will follow up with you later once I've heard from finance. Sorry again.

*Edit

I've been told the refund was processed please let me know if you received a confirmation.

jeomk fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 7, 2014

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

Thanks man. I wasn't too worried about it since it seemed like an honest mistake. I haven't gotten any sort of email yet but I'll definitely let you know as soon as I see the record on my statement. Thanks for taking care of it so quickly.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Pre-seasoning pictures with some detail on the smiley. Feel free to use wherever jeomk/RL.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Goddamn I happened into this thread and now I really want one of these if only to give me an excuse to start making pizza. I've got a few questions on it first.

Is the Chef Smiley square pattern specific to 3/8ths inch thickness or is it easy enough to order that in 1/4th? I don't think my oven rack could handle 25 pounds of steel on it even if it was evenly distributed.

Anyone who's ordered one able to tell me how much the bunnielab round design weighs?

Edit: For anyone who's gotten the 1/4th incher: Does it still cook the pizza well enough? Do you need to adjust the temperature up any to compensate for less mass/thermal potential?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 11, 2014

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

Is the Chef Smiley square pattern specific to 3/8ths inch thickness or is it easy enough to order that in 1/4th?

The drawing itself has no thickness. When you upload the drawing you can choose whatever thickness you would like.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

DFu4ever posted:

The drawing itself has no thickness.

:psyboom:

Mind-blown.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Tweek posted:

:psyboom:

Mind-blown.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Goddamn I happened into this thread and now I really want one of these if only to give me an excuse to start making pizza. I've got a few questions on it first.

Is the Chef Smiley square pattern specific to 3/8ths inch thickness or is it easy enough to order that in 1/4th? I don't think my oven rack could handle 25 pounds of steel on it even if it was evenly distributed.

Anyone who's ordered one able to tell me how much the bunnielab round design weighs?

Edit: For anyone who's gotten the 1/4th incher: Does it still cook the pizza well enough? Do you need to adjust the temperature up any to compensate for less mass/thermal potential?

Also, the weight depends on the thickness so we can't tell you what it is until you have selected it and uploaded the drawing.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

novamute posted:

Pre-seasoning pictures with some detail on the smiley. Feel free to use wherever jeomk/RL.

That steel looks fantastic. Good luck with your pizza my friend.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

This looks incredible. I'm relatively novice at cooking though, and have no experience making any type of dough homemade.

Does anyone have a link to some simple doughs / pizza recipes? I am going to order one of these steels tonight for sure. The pizza around my house are pathetic greasy excuses for a pizza.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

sleepness posted:

Does anyone have a link to some simple doughs / pizza recipes? I am going to order one of these steels tonight for sure. The pizza around my house are pathetic greasy excuses for a pizza.

While you learn go to your favorite pizza shop and ask to purchase their dough!.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have a lot of luck with (makes 6 doughs):

1) Place 350 ml of water at the base of a mixer's mixing bowl.
2) Add 1 TBS of dry yeast, 3 TBS of sugar and 0-3 TBS of oil, probably 3 for a steel.
3) Add 1,275 grams of bread flour and 10 grams of salt
4) Add 500 ml of water
5) Mix via mixer until combined
6) Increase speed to four until the dough rises on the hook

7) Cut into 6 pieces and
a) Let rest for ~ 2 or 3 hours and make a pie. May help to reshape after a half hour or so rest. I don't, play it by ear.
b) Let rest in the fridge for up to 5 or 6 days. When you take them out let them rest for ~ 2 hours.

One dirty dish and decent dough with near 0 effordt

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
I just got my baking steel in the mail. It looks awesome and I'm excited to use it.

Should I try to scrub the entire black finish off? I can see it slowly coming off while scrubbing with a brillo pad. It will just take a long time.

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005
I got my baking steel yesterday, but it arrived a little damaged. There's a shallow cut near one of the corners. Is there anything I can do to smooth it out? And is there a way to get that silver cut at least the same color as the rest of the steel?

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

Souffle posted:

I got my baking steel yesterday, but it arrived a little damaged. There's a shallow cut near one of the corners. Is there anything I can do to smooth it out? And is there a way to get that silver cut at least the same color as the rest of the steel?

Sorry about the damage. I've made a replacement order that is scheduled to cut and ship via UPS Ground tomorrow. I'll send you the tracking info for the truck as soon as I have it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I just made bread on mine today. Works great! Definitely worth the time it took to scrub off that millscale.

Also, turns out the smiley etching was just etched into the millscale. Not big deal to me, just thought I'd mention.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

novamute posted:

This is a nice looking pizza steel, which kind is it? (I don't know which to pick, commercial or structural)

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

strangehamster posted:

This is a nice looking pizza steel, which kind is it? (I don't know which to pick, commercial or structural)

Dimensions: 0.240 " x 16.00 " x 14.00 "
Weight: 15.68 lbs
Material: Structural Black

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005

jeomk posted:

Sorry about the damage. I've made a replacement order that is scheduled to cut and ship via UPS Ground tomorrow. I'll send you the tracking info for the truck as soon as I have it.

Wow, thanks! Should I send back the one I have?

drcrumble
May 20, 2001
I WANNA RUB MAH BONER ON UR ASS
p.s. I enjoy guzzling bull semen.

SifuToast posted:

We reject anything from our vendor with scale. So if you order black steel from us you should be fine.

oh rly posted:

I just got my baking steel in the mail. It looks awesome and I'm excited to use it.

Should I try to scrub the entire black finish off? I can see it slowly coming off while scrubbing with a brillo pad. It will just take a long time.

M42 posted:

I just made bread on mine today. Works great! Definitely worth the time it took to scrub off that millscale.

Also, turns out the smiley etching was just etched into the millscale. Not big deal to me, just thought I'd mention.

So is there going to be scale that has to be scraped off, or can I just wash it and season it? I'm planning to order one in 3/8" A36 if that makes any difference.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

drcrumble posted:

So is there going to be scale that has to be scraped off, or can I just wash it and season it? I'm planning to order one in 3/8" A36 if that makes any difference.

You can just wash it and season it. The black stuff on the plate is food safe, it's not like a hard crusted scale like you may be thinking.

SifuToast
Oct 10, 2003

Bring on the Whores!!

Souffle posted:

Wow, thanks! Should I send back the one I have?

Please keep it. The pizza steel with the gouges should've never left our plant. Sorry again.

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

Just came to confirm that I receive my refund. For some reason I thought I would get an email but anyway, it's on the statement. Thanks for taking care of this so quickly jeomk

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

noodlesinabag posted:

Just came to confirm that I receive my refund. For some reason I thought I would get an email but anyway, it's on the statement. Thanks for taking care of this so quickly jeomk

I thought you would have gotten an email as well. I'm glad it has been corrected, you are welcome.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Just ordered. Super stoked to get mine and mangle some pizzas.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I love pizza so much. It looks like it's going to be around $37 shipped to me for a 1/4 inch one. Is this around the same price you guys in the thread got?

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

I love pizza so much. It looks like it's going to be around $37 shipped to me for a 1/4 inch one. Is this around the same price you guys in the thread got?

GreyPowerVan posted:

I just ordered a 1/4 inch and my handling plus shipping was 34 bucks, but the steel itself was 21.93 so it looks like it varies a ton based on shipping. I forgot to use the goon discount though, so that's probably why my price is higher. Oh well, worth it even without the discount.

sleepness fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 16, 2014

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I've got this idea to hack my Kettle Pizza with a tombstone shaped baking steel, but I need a goony friend to make a drawing file.

http://www.kettlepizza.com/KettlePizza-Pro-KPPK-22-p/kppk-22.htm

I have the smaller 18.5" weber grill, and measured the interior diameter and Kettle Pizza opening.

I need a drawing of the "tombstone" and a 17.5" diameter circle for the top "lid" piece. I will send someone a little bit of money via PayPal if needed, and share the dwx files so others can get some use out of the drawings as well.

A big thank you to Javid. I'll try this out and post some pictures - if anyone else has a small Kettle pizza the files are linked.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9464573/pizza-tombstonetop-strangehamster.zip

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 17, 2014

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
Just put in an order for the 3/8" structural-grade (based on some others goons' setups) pizza steel for $49.82 shipped. Thanks so much for offering this to us!

I'm kind of curious how many goon-steels have been ordered since the beginning of this promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SifuToast
Oct 10, 2003

Bring on the Whores!!

Five Spice posted:

Just put in an order for the 3/8" structural-grade (based on some others goons' setups) pizza steel for $49.82 shipped. Thanks so much for offering this to us!

I'm kind of curious how many goon-steels have been ordered since the beginning of this promotion.

We've gotten about 30 pizza steel orders from Goons using the coupon thanks to all of you that were early adopters. But tomorrow our original deal expires and moving forward we will be offering a discount of $12.50 instead of the $25 coupon. The coupon code is going to say the same though: SAGOONS.

• Locked thread