Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Losing in doubles feels like I'm losing to a better player where losing in singles more often than not feels like I'm losing to better pocket monsters. That's my review of the formats, one love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Random Pokemon-team battles on Showdown are the best format. You get to try Pokemon you've never seen before, and when you win, you've earned it. Having a Wormadam-Trash eke out a victory was quite rewarding.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Tardigrade posted:

Random Pokemon-team battles on Showdown are the best format. You get to try Pokemon you've never seen before, and when you win, you've earned it. Having a Wormadam-Trash eke out a victory was quite rewarding.

And other times you go up against a team with a quagsire and swampert and your only pokemon even capable of knowing a grass moves is a meganium that doesn't actually have any attacks. But no, I do love randoms on showdown, calling them fair is silly most of the time though.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Interesting Wonder Trade acquisition (and for the low low price of ANOTHER re-gifted lovely Charmander- jesus, those things must be like the wild dogs of Sochi in this universe): Eevee, Timid, with Synchronoise, Wish, Yawn, and Stored Power. In a heal ball. Is this the bree-ject of anyone in here? I read in here (or maybe the trading thread) there was someone looking for a Female Wish Eevee in a Heal Ball to breed up...

Anyway, what possible utility could a set like this have, I'm wondering. First thing I thought was breed it into a more defensive nature and make it into a Baton-Pass-Recipient Umbreon? I dunno, I've always thought Synchronoise was poo poo except in a few very rare circumstances.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When gimmicks go wrong for both players; http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-88909546

I have to say, these 3D models look like garbage on showdown. If they wanted to make battles look better they should of just added better effects for moves, because seeing these completely static models throw out sloppily made effects is comical. Or they could just add practical stuff like the ability to examine teams in replays to see their pokemon's stats, moves, held items, etc. That would be really helpful.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Zore posted:

I love Helioptile. It has such a great moveset for an Electric type pokemon, and surprisingly solid stats.

Plus its a frilled lizard who shoots elecctricity. Now if only its prevo didn't have the stupid ears.

That's why you evolve him, silly.

I really like his normal type addition. I've used him for a good amount of safe switches when a ghost move is a sure thing. Oh the tears from Shadow Sneak users.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Internet Kraken posted:

When gimmicks go wrong for both players; http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-88909546

I have to say, these 3D models look like garbage on showdown. If they wanted to make battles look better they should of just added better effects for moves, because seeing these completely static models throw out sloppily made effects is comical. Or they could just add practical stuff like the ability to examine teams in replays to see their pokemon's stats, moves, held items, etc. That would be really helpful.

Yeah the 3d models are fugly enough to make me not want to bother with showdown. :v:

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Internet Kraken posted:

They clash with the background like a motherfucker too, and it's really funny seeing a detailed 3D model mega evolve into a static-rear end sprite. I assume this is all stuff they're going to fix but who knows when that will be. It took them like four days to actually ban Landorus from UU after he got quickbanned immediately.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Heliolisk looks like a middle evolution to me. Getting surf is hilarious though.

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010
Heliolisk does't get Hyper Voice for special Normal STAB and I will always be upset by this. :colbert:

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Heliolisk looks like a middle evolution to me. Getting surf is hilarious though.

As the owner of two bearded dragon (not a basilisk, but still cool :3: )I have a big soft spot for Heliolisk. Carried that guy from the moment you can catch Helioptile to E4.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

BingeHooligan posted:

Heliolisk does't get Hyper Voice for special Normal STAB and I will always be upset by this. :colbert:

a lot of pokemon that need hyper voice don't get it :smith: :respek: :smith:

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Ignite Memories posted:

a lot of pokemon that need hyper voice don't get it :smith: :respek: :smith:

At least Pyroar gets it, but he's like really lousy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Thwack! posted:

At least Pyroar gets it, but he's like really lousy.
Pyroar is really good in doubles. No, wait, come back!

He gets Entrainment, and his hidden ability is Moxie. Do you see where I'm going with this? (I'm going towards Regigigas or Archeops.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zore posted:

Plus its a frilled lizard who shoots elecctricity. Now if only its prevo didn't have the stupid ears.
I wish Heliolisk still had the stupid floppy ears :saddowns:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Leper Colon V posted:

He gets Entrainment, and his hidden ability is Moxie. Do you see where I'm going with this? (I'm going towards Regigigas or Archeops.)

That's a fairly good idea actually. Pyroar at the very least has decent speed so it can probably get entertainment off. Looking at it from another view, its support move pool isn't terrible either. Even with max HP its still insanely vulnerable to a lot of common picks and AOE moves, and it lacks any sort of offensive power. Still, I guess support Pyroar has the potential to be useful as opposed to regular Pyroar which is always going to be terrible.

EDIT: Wow I only just now realized the move is called Entrainment, not Entertainment. I feel really dumb.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don't forget about the surprise factor. No one in their right mind is ever going to think "man, I should really taunt that pyroar".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If I saw someone lead Regigigas and Pyroar, while I wouldn't think to taunt it, I'd certainly assume there was some gimmick schenanigans going down and go after the notably more frail and weirder Pyroar.

e: What I'm saying is to Protect with Pyroar and spread Paralysis with Gigas first turn

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I've seen Pyroar maybe twice tops and it was certainly not in a support role. You got me thinking so i looked at its movepool and found out it has quite a few moves that could be good for supporting;

-Incinerate hits both enemies in doubles, so you could use it to burn away berries while doing chip damage.
-Entrainment Moxie has a surprising number of uses. As you mentioned the most obvious one is passing Moxie to a pokemon that is normally crippled by its ability, but it can also be used offensively. Moxie isn't the best thing to give an enemy, in some cases it could be a disaster, but a lot of pokemon don't benefit from it at all and hate losing their ability. Other pokemon are so reliant on their ability that even replacing it with Moxie would help.
-Yawn is obnoxious as hell for obvious reasons.
-Taunt lets Pyroar shut down other supports. Lack of prankster means other supports will outspeed it, but they probably won't taunt you anyways.
-Snarl is weak as hell but lowers spat and hits both targets, making it potentially useful.

Unfortunately, none of this is enough to overcome Pyroar's inherent weaknesses. Its bulk isn't great and it has a god awful type for a support, vulnerable to basically every common AOE move and no way to prevent them. Its speed is good but plenty of pokemon outspeed it still and could OHKO it with ease. So I doubt it would be great but its at least better than I ever thought Pyroar would be.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I ended up, initially, using Noble Roar (which hits the whole field) paired with a Contrary Malamar. That was fun, but easily predicted.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

That's a fairly good idea actually. Pyroar at the very least has decent speed so it can probably get entertainment off. Looking at it from another view, its support move pool isn't terrible either. Even with max HP its still insanely vulnerable to a lot of common picks and AOE moves, and it lacks any sort of offensive power. Still, I guess support Pyroar has the potential to be useful as opposed to regular Pyroar which is always going to be terrible.

EDIT: Wow I only just now realized the move is called Entrainment, not Entertainment. I feel really dumb.

It's still funny that a lion is doing the training.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-75588440

It's still a strategy that will almost never work against a competent opponent but it's pretty hilarious.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I ended up, initially, using Noble Roar (which hits the whole field) paired with a Contrary Malamar. That was fun, but easily predicted.

I didn't realize noble roar hits the whole field. I guess its not as worhtless as I originally though, though still pretty lovely.

Anyways, here's how you DON'T use sucker punch;

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-88961820

I have no idea what the gently caress this guy was thinking. Meowstic is pretty much the worst thing you could try to sucker punch.

EDIT: Does lightning rod proc before or after abilities such as pixilate take effect? As in, if I had a Sylveon use hyper voice would a lightning rod pokemon absorb it since its a normal move, or would pixilate turn it into a fairy move first and cause it to get hit anyways?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 17, 2014

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Hm, Pyroar does seem pretty neat in Doubles. However, I feel as though it's kinda outlcassed by Whimsicot; especially due to Worry Seed, and Charm being a better Noble Roar that functions well when you are paired with a Special Attacker in exchange of not decreasing the opponent's Sp.Atk.

I'm not exactly well versed in Doubles, so I might be talking out of my rear end but it seems Whimsicott is kind of a better Pyroar in my inexperienced point of view.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

It's still a strategy that will almost never work against a competent opponent but it's pretty hilarious.
I started laughing really hard at the names.

Then you got a Moxie boost from KOing Pyroar, and I nearly died.

And then it kept happening.

I love you.

Thwack! posted:

Hm, Pyroar does seem pretty neat in Doubles. However, I feel as though it's kinda outlcassed by Whimsicot; especially due to Worry Seed, and Charm being a better Noble Roar that functions well when you are paired with a Special Attacker in exchange of not decreasing the opponent's Sp.Atk.

I'm not exactly well versed in Doubles, so I might be talking out of my rear end but it seems Whimsicott is kind of a better Pyroar in my inexperienced point of view.
You're not wrong. Whimsicott is pretty much better in every way. Except that it's not a lion.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyways, here's how you DON'T use sucker punch;

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-88961820

I have no idea what the gently caress this guy was thinking. Meowstic is pretty much the worst thing you could try to sucker punch.

Don't think he was thinking any deeper than "Sucker Punch is Dark, Meowstic is Psychic, SUPER EFFECTIVE"

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

:stare:

Everyone should watch this replay.

Also been said but seriously Showdown oversized 3D models against a 2D background doing 2D animations looks like poo poo. I actually wonder if older replays are now 3D?

EDIT: The answer is yes they are.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 17, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Well I'd been break from Pokemon until the suspect voting was done but this is what happened:

quote:

Lucarionite: 125 Ban, 8 Do Not Ban, 3 Abstain -> Uber with a 94% majority

Genesect: 77 Ban, 48 Do Not Ban, 11 Abstain -> Uber with a 61.6% majority

Deoxys-S: 44 Ban, 75 Do Not Ban, 17 Abstain-> OU with a 63% majority

The verdict of the test is that Lucarionite and Genesect achieved the required supermajority and are, therefore, banned to Ubers with immediate effect. Deoxys-S remains OU.

RIP. I guess i need to remake all my teams :qq:. Or just play Ubers and UU :v:.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 17, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Megas seems a lot less threatening in double battles, but I don't battle a ton.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Mega Charizard is absolutely a terror.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Similar to what Kraken said before (singles vs. doubles play), some stand out more in doubles than they do in Singles. Charizard Y and Mega-Skhan are two staples of VGC 2014 play, Mega-Mawile and Mega-Manetric are used fairly regularly, and to give an example against while Mega-Gengar is still really good he isn't as dangerous in Doubles as he is Singles (although he then comes with a whole new set of trouble in things like Perish Song).

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 17, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Megas are a lot less likely to sweep entire teams in doubles but the same applies to every pokemon. They're still plenty strong, and in doubles some get more use than in singles. Charizard Y is highly valued for his drought which a lot of teams are built around. Mega Manectric is a key part of intimidate stack strategies.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There are some Megas that are significantly better in Doubles than Singles like Manectric, Abomasnow and Gardevoir and there are some that are a lot more managable like Kangaskhan, Gengar and Lucario. The bottom of the barrel Singles Megas tend to be even worse in doubles though, namely Banette and Aggron.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

WrightOfWay posted:

There are some Megas that are significantly better in Doubles than Singles like Manectric, Abomasnow and Gardevoir and there are some that are a lot more managable like Kangaskhan, Gengar and Lucario. The bottom of the barrel Singles Megas tend to be even worse in doubles though, namely Banette and Aggron.

M-Mawile is also a lot better in doubles than singles thanks to getting better use out of Intimidate and better support (or rather that you can run a support with it in doubles)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I'd say it's more that different megas are threatening in double battles, and the ones that see the most use in singles tend to be easier to deal with. M-Kanga and M-Charizard tend to be easier to handle, but things like M-Aerodactyl and M-Ampharos are at least able to carve out niches for themselves in Doubles.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Zoness posted:

Still waiting for RU, AKA the best tier, to get remade. I don't like this UU right now.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nihilarian posted:

I feel the same way about Barbaracle. It's not a bad design by any means, but it just feels like it should evolve into some awesome final form.

Zoness posted:

Well I'd been break from Pokemon until the suspect voting was done but this is what happened:

I'm glad Deoxys-S stayed. I honestly don't see why it was suspected at all; hazards aren't nearly as good now that Defog actually works like it should, and you can't tell me the Life Orb set was what got it suspected.

Speaking of which, can I just say that I loving love that set?
Deoxys-S @ Life Orb
Evs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Fire Punch

Outspeeding a bunch of Choice Scarfers/Dragon Dancers (including Scarf Garchomp) while still being able to switch moves is hilariously awesome, and a Psychic type that can take out Tyranitar with no problem is doubly awesome. I also love signature moves, and Psycho Boost is a hilarious nuke that smashes pretty much everything; it even kept its 140 base power, unlike Draco Meteor/Overheat/Leaf Storm.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
So, I'm literally putting together the first team I've tried to make since Ruby/Sapphire to play online randoms ingame and I'm basically starting from square one. I have no idea what the Metagame is really like this days and I'm not too terribly worried about tiers; but I just can't seem to come up with a central idea that works. Basically all I have floating around is a nebulous idea of what I want to do right now. What I'm working on right now is this guy as a lead;

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
252 HP/ 126 Def/ 126 SpDef
Mild Nature
Toxic Spikes
Venoshock
Dragon Tail
Protect

I'm not entirely sure if this will work, but the idea is to lead with Dragalge, lay down some spikes and dragon tail anything that comes out and tries to buff. Protect to stall, Venoshock to finish off targets. For the rest of my team; I'm still bouncing around ideas, but I might go with a magic bounce Espeon and a Scrafty (I really want to figure out a way to work Scrafty in, he's my guy).

The problem is, I imagine things like Klefki and Ferrothorn would pretty much instantly ruin this guy. So :shrug:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's really too bad that you can't get an Adaptability Dragalge yet. It has a really really strong Draco Meteor and unique typing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Filthy Haiku posted:

The problem is, I imagine things like Klefki and Ferrothorn would pretty much instantly ruin this guy. So :shrug:

You can make a pretty fun gimmick team with stuff like Toxic Spikes, Hex, Venoshock, and phasing. You're right that you need an option to deal with steel and other poison types, though. Might I suggest Nidoking?

• Locked thread