Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Captain Trips posted:

It's easy, cheap, and tastes good. I don't know what else you want.

It is garbage, though.

It is easy and cheap, but this is not cooking, this is opening a few cans and mixing them together.

It would not be difficult to make something very quick and cheap that tasted very good with a similar chicken-stroganoff-type idea.

Edit: Like don't get me wrong, I understand being completely beat and wanting nothing to do with cooking, but you're defending not-cooking in the cooking forum at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Captain Trips posted:

Something that isn't considerably more expensive, much less healthy, much less tasty and barely faster than the lowest effort of soups.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Captain Trips posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I have 1-2 lbs of brisket in the fridge (previously frozen) and we're getting 4" more snow tomorrow so I want to turn this into chili. With/without beans, don't care. Share a recipe? Bonus points for pressure cooker quickness.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Oh man, pulled brisket chilli sounds delicious.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does that recipe call for a can of chicken? A can of chicken? They do that?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does that recipe call for a can of chicken? A can of chicken? They do that?

They sell it at the grocery store right next to the cans of tuna and salmon and other stuff that comes in cans sure.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't get the lazy soup thing because soup freezes well and it so easy to make. I totally get not wanting to cook, I come in exhausted after work all the time and don't want to gently caress with it. So I cook a bunch of poo poo on a weekend when I do want to do it, portion it out and freeze. Voila, I can have a great meal of real food I cooked without any effort on a workday. It's not a huge deal.

Not to be a dick or anything. If you find yourself eating lots of poo poo on workdays because you're too tired to bother, I get it. Find some things you like that freeze well and stock the freezer up. You'll be happier, healthier, and equally lazy!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Captain Trips posted:

My mom's recipe for Chicken and Noodles is about as easy as it gets, and it uses canned soup as a base.

Boil a 10-12oz bag of egg noodles
Drain
Add two small cans of cream of chicken soup
Add a can of chunk white chicken (drained)
Return to heat, stir until creamy and hot

Comfort food is the best, even if it's simple poo poo. Don't knock canned soup recipes.

To be fair this is basically chicken helper and that's what millions of Walmart shoppers feed their family every week :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm looking for bulk meal ideas and my recent discovery of Red Beans & Rice from the GWS Wiki has me looking for similar. Looking for things I can make preferably in a slow cooker that could be served over rice. Right now I've been rotating Red Bean & Rice (http://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice), Jambalaya and Chili.

What else is awesome served over rice?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm looking for bulk meal ideas and my recent discovery of Red Beans & Rice from the GWS Wiki has me looking for similar. Looking for things I can make preferably in a slow cooker that could be served over rice. Right now I've been rotating Red Bean & Rice (http://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice), Jambalaya and Chili.

You're boiling the beans for at least but preferably more than 15-20 minutes before putting them in the slow cooker, right? Because they contain a significant amount of toxin that needs to be denatured before you eat them, and merely throwing them into the slow cooker actually makes it worse.

You should buy dino's book/check out the vegan food thread, because it has a ton of super fast and easy recipes that are also cheap. Thomas Keller's Cassoulet is super good and actually uses a slow cooker too.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You're boiling the beans for at least but preferably more than 15-20 minutes before putting them in the slow cooker, right? Because they contain a significant amount of toxin that needs to be denatured before you eat them, and merely throwing them into the slow cooker actually makes it worse.

What what what? Please elaborate on this. What toxin? I eat slow-cooked-from-dry beans all the freaking time, am I slowly killing myself?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Micomicona posted:

What what what? Please elaborate on this. What toxin? I eat slow-cooked-from-dry beans all the freaking time, am I slowly killing myself?

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/causesofillnessbadbugbook/ucm071092.htm

quote:

Phytohaemagglutinin, the presumed toxic agent, is found in many species of beans, but it is in highest concentration in red kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris). The unit of toxin measure is the hemagglutinating unit (hau). Raw kidney beans contain from 20,000 to 70,000 hau, while fully cooked beans contain from 200 to 400 hau. White kidney beans, another variety of Phaseolus vulgaris, contain about one-third the amount of toxin as the red variety; broad beans (Vicia faba) contain 5 to 10% the amount that red kidney beans contain.

The syndrome is usually caused by the ingestion of raw, soaked kidney beans, either alone or in salads or casseroles. As few as four or five raw beans can trigger symptoms. Several outbreaks have been associated with "slow cookers" or crock pots, or in casseroles which had not reached a high enough internal temperature to destroy the glycoprotein lectin. It has been shown that heating to 80°C may potentiate the toxicity five-fold, so that these beans are more toxic than if eaten raw. In studies of casseroles cooked in slow cookers, internal temperatures often did not exceed 75°C.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
I don't eat rice often enough to justify a rice cooker, but I have a crockpot. Ideas for adjusting that recipe accordingly?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I wonder how much Phytohaemagglutinin chickpeas have. Falafels are made using raw, soaked chickpeas, but maybe they're ok since they're only a little bit related to common beans.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really want to try cooking more duck breasts but I rarely ever see them at my local grocery stores (not many butchers here either). Are frozen ones acceptable quality or should I hold out for a fresh source? I'm in the seattle area, if that matters.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
I cook frozen (whole) duck relatively often, because that's what's available to me, and I think it's like any other meat. Fresh, never frozen is awesome and all, optimal even, but you have to go with what you have. I think a bigger difference than fresh v. frozen is trying to find poultry that hasn't been injected with some percentage of brine or water.

We did a Peking duck two weekends ago from a thawed bird, and it was crispy and delicious, even though it wasn't optimal to start with a frozen, water chilled bird.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Bob Morales posted:

To be fair this is basically chicken helper and that's what millions of Walmart shoppers feed their family every week :(
I was at the gym the other day and ended up eavesdropping on the saddest conversation I've ever heard.

:j:: And Ah heard, those Mexicahns? They basically puree their chicken and add a little bit o' lime juice? Ugh, it's disgustin', darling.
;-*: Oh mah Gahd, that's so sad. It's like they don't appreciate good fooood, yah know?
:j:: Ah know riiiight? Anyway, what are yew makin' fer dinner, hun?
;-*: Oh, just gonna throw sum cream o' chicken into the crockpot, Sam likes it that way, warm? Maybe add some frozen hamburgers? Ah dunno, we been eating out so much, like five times a week.
:j:: Oh, that sounds so good! Jeff likes his Taco Bell, but not too spahcy, y'know? Ah like to add some mayonnaise...

I wept.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

kinmik posted:

I was at the gym the other day and ended up eavesdropping on the saddest conversation I've ever heard.

:j:: And Ah heard, those Mexicahns? They basically puree their chicken and add a little bit o' lime juice? Ugh, it's disgustin', darling.
;-*: Oh mah Gahd, that's so sad. It's like they don't appreciate good fooood, yah know?
;-*: Oh, just gonna throw sum cream o' chicken into the crockpot, Sam likes it that way, warm? Maybe add some frozen hamburgers? Ah dunno, we been eating out so much, like five times a week.
:j:: Oh, that sounds so good! Jeff likes his Taco Bell, but not too spahcy, y'know? Ah like to add some mayonnaise...

I wept.
Out of everything on there, Mayonnaise on Tacos? Ew.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kinmik posted:

I wept.
You go to Planet Fitness?

Also were the hamburgers going to be on the side or in the crock pot?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

You should buy dino's book/check out the vegan food thread, because it has a ton of super fast and easy recipes that are also cheap. Thomas Keller's Cassoulet is super good and actually uses a slow cooker too.

What book did dino write? I've heard it referenced, but I haven't actually heard what book it is. I might pick it up next week, I'll be getting several books off amazon around then anyway.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Invisible Ted posted:

What book did dino write? I've heard it referenced, but I haven't actually heard what book it is. I might pick it up next week, I'll be getting several books off amazon around then anyway.

here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-V...ternative+vegan

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FishBulb posted:

They sell it at the grocery store right next to the cans of tuna and salmon and other stuff that comes in cans sure.

In my defense I hardly ever buy tuna and don't browse that section of the supermarkets so I had no idea.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Boris Galerkin posted:

In my defense I hardly ever buy tuna and don't browse that section of the supermarkets so I had no idea.

If it makes you feel any better, they usually don't mean a whole canned chicken. Though that is something that exists.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't get the lazy soup thing because soup freezes well and it so easy to make. I totally get not wanting to cook, I come in exhausted after work all the time and don't want to gently caress with it. So I cook a bunch of poo poo on a weekend when I do want to do it, portion it out and freeze. Voila, I can have a great meal of real food I cooked without any effort on a workday. It's not a huge deal.

Not to be a dick or anything. If you find yourself eating lots of poo poo on workdays because you're too tired to bother, I get it. Find some things you like that freeze well and stock the freezer up. You'll be happier, healthier, and equally lazy!

I got into this a couple of years ago and it is the best thing. Today I was lazy and was about to half rear end a lazy meal and remembered I've got red beans and rice (sans rice), beef barley and escarole and bean all frozen in the fridge for moments like this. I'd have chili too, but I tore through my last batch fast.

Anything that freezes and reheats well, I always make more than I need for that purpose.

Speaking of, I made a random sauce to throw over chicke and noodles a few days ago. About how long will that last in the fridge? I am thinking it is freezer time soon.

Whole canned chicken is one of the most terrifying things I have ever seen.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I got into this a couple of years ago and it is the best thing. Today I was lazy and was about to half rear end a lazy meal and remembered I've got red beans and rice (sans rice), beef barley and escarole and bean all frozen in the fridge for moments like this. I'd have chili too, but I tore through my last batch fast.

Anything that freezes and reheats well, I always make more than I need for that purpose.

Speaking of, I made a random sauce to throw over chicke and noodles a few days ago. About how long will that last in the fridge? I am thinking it is freezer time soon.

Whole canned chicken is one of the most terrifying things I have ever seen.

Imagine whole canned pig.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Bob Morales posted:

You go to Planet Fitness?

Also were the hamburgers going to be on the side or in the crock pot?
More of tiny, pissant fitness center, really. And in, I assume.

And I feel the need to ask again: can I still eat capers three years after I have bought/opened them? They're pickled, so they should be relatively safe, right?

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I'm thinking about making This recipe soon, and it requires either white wine, cider, or sparkling wine in it.

Does the type of alcohol I use out of those 3 make a large difference? I don't usually cook with wines outside of maybe Marsala every so often so I'm pretty ignorant on this type of thing.

Any recommended brands would be nice too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

If it makes you feel any better, they usually don't mean a whole canned chicken. Though that is something that exists.

I just looked this up and sure enough it exists.

Why?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Thanks, looks like something I'd be interested in!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just looked this up and sure enough it exists.

Why?

:nws:?
http://imgur.com/cDoafjg

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Make daal! http://goonswithspoons.com/Daal_Tarka Make it with every kind of bean you can get your hands on, and you'll notice the flavours completely vary. It's awesome stuff.

Eeyo posted:

I wonder how much Phytohaemagglutinin chickpeas have. Falafels are made using raw, soaked chickpeas, but maybe they're ok since they're only a little bit related to common beans.

Falafels are fried, Eeyo. Fried deep in like 190ºC fat. It'll cook out anything.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Did not know that about beans, thanks for the heads up on this. I'll look through the vegan thread and see what looks good.

dino. posted:

Make daal! http://goonswithspoons.com/Daal_Tarka Make it with every kind of bean you can get your hands on, and you'll notice the flavours completely vary. It's awesome stuff.
Will add this to the list of stuff to try.

Thanks for the ideas, should keep from getting bored for a while. Open to more ideas as well, especially those with large amounts of meat like the steak&burger chili I'm making today.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thanks for the ideas, should keep from getting bored for a while. Open to more ideas as well, especially those with large amounts of meat like the steak&burger chili I'm making today.
Make the keerai kootu from the South Indian thread. That thing is awesome with any greens you can get your hands on, and it rather delicious as a side.

Make a HUGE mess of roasted vegetables. The easiest way to knock it out is to preheat your oven to 180C/350F, and get a giant bowl with a bit of oil. Add your longest cooking vegetable (as it'll also need the most fat). Toss it in the oil. Pull it out of the bowl, and add it to a clean bowl. Add whatever spices you like. I'm a fan of using things like coriander, cumin, and turmeric with hardy root vegetables. Add a generous bit of salt, and red pepper flakes. Lay it onto a baking sheet, and chuck it in the oven. Then, prepare the next vegetable while the first is roasting. Toss in the first bowl to coat with oil, then into the second bowl to coat with spices. For a more water vegetable, like peas, or carrots, I use herbs rather than spices. I like a mix of oregano, sage, and marjoram. I don't bother rinsing out either bowl, because they're freaking vegetables, and they're going into a reasonably hot oven. The longest cooking vegetable will likely take between 35 minutes - 1 hour, depending on what they are. The quickest cooking ones will be ready in 8 - 10 minutes. Everything else will likely fall into the 25 minute range.

Some favourites are potatoes, peppers, artichoke hearts, fennel bulbs, parsnips, rutabaga (which gets a little on the sweet side as it roasts). Mushrooms are also wonderful with a bit of thyme, a scant scrape of nutmeg, and a good hit of garlic. This is also a great time to make some croutons, crostini, or breadsticks, depending on your leftover bread situation. For croutons, I like a generous hit of salt, some dulse flakes, a bit of garlic powder, and olive oil (just mix up the spices together with the oil, and toss it with the cubed bread). If you get them on one layer with a reasonable amount of space in between them, it should be sorted in like 25 minutes or so (let them go longer as necessary).

Also, if you want a slightly different snack, open up a tin of chickpeas, and rinse off all the gooey water. Toss in a bit of tamari, and lay on a baking sheet in one layer. Roast for about 25 - 35 minutes (check every 8 minutes or so). They'll get really crispy and be as easy to eat as a bowl of nuts, but won't have near the amount of fat. :)

Make base things to which you can add embellishments to make it something different. For example, if you knock up a large batch of marinara sauce, with very little in it (tomatoes, a bit of garlic lightly cooked in olive oil, and a bit of salt, cooked for about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes, or until the tomatoes are just falling apart, but not this weird blandness that comes from overcooking the tomatoes), you can change it up as needed when you're looking for a meal. Freeze them in 1-cup increments. Then, when you're stuck for a meal, pull out the baggie of tomato sauce, and add it to sauteed onions, garlic, herbs of your liking (fresh basil is awesome, and a bit of dried oregano is nice too), and a good hit of olive oil. Another night, you can use your meat or whatever. Another night, you throw in some kidney beans, and a few pinches of crushed fennel seed. Other times, you add a few splashes of red wine, port, madeira, or even vodka or gin.

Make large batches of kombu shiitake broth. It's dead simple. Rinse off 10 whole shiitake mushrooms. Add them to a pitcher. Add a piece of kombu that's roughly the size of an index card. Add about 2 litres of cold water. Let it steep overnight. You can use the rehydrated kombu with a dish of adzuki beans (basically, cook adzuki beans and kombu together, with a bit of kabocha pumpkin, a splash of mirin or sake + a few pinches of sugar, and salt to taste), or in stir-fries, etc. The shiitake mushrooms are great in soups, stir-fries, or sauteed with garlic, sesame oil, and soy sauce. The broth is mild flavoured, and makes an excellent base for miso soup. Take a coffee mug full of the broth, and nuke it in the microwave. Add a scant tsp of miso paste, 1 chopped scallion, and whatever other embellishments you like in your miso (I like finely shredded cabbage, some spinach leaves, and raw julienned daikon that's been tossed with a good hit of salt, and rinsed off when it's limp) for a soup that's done in just a few minutes. The broth keeps for about a week in the fridge, and is nice to have around for adding to things. It's not as strong flavoured as a traditional stock would be, but it does have enough flavour to carry a soup.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So I've obtained about half a gallon bag full of nori ends and pieces from work, because we only use it for sushi and all these pieces are too small to use. Is it reasonable for me to try to make dashi with nori instead of kombu?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
No. Just crumble it up, and sprinkle it onto all kinds of things. Or, make your own furikake. Toast some sesame seeds, chop some shisho leaves (and dry it in the microwave in 10 second intervals), and blitz the nori in a food processor until it's crumbled well. Toss together, and you've got a stellar topping for rice.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I realize it's a few pages past stew chat, but I tend to recommend English style brown ales. English browns are pretty low in hops and generally rely on a malty flavor profile. They still get bitter when you cook them down, since that's how (most) beer works, but they are low IBU and not dry hopped and generally don't rely on roasty flavors like stouts and porters.

Stouts and porters use a lot of dark heavily roasted grains to get that black color, which can get pretty bitter quickly in the raw beer, let alone cooked down. Additionally, Guinness sour mashes about 6-8% of their batch then adds it back in to the finished product, so you'll also have a lactic acid presence and maybe even some acetic acid too.

Belgian strong darks might be good too, I've never tried it, but they generally have sweeter flavors that may end up nice in a stew.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I realize it's a few pages past stew chat, but I tend to recommend English style brown ales.

Any suggestions or is it okay to just use a Newcastle?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Bob Morales posted:

Any suggestions or is it okay to just use a Newcastle?

I've been using this in my stews this winter, I think it has a better depth than newcastles, and a bit less tartness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Okay, so I had tasty ribs for dinner last night and passed out drunk in my kitchen(it was very romantic for a solo dinner tbh). This morning, after waking up late, I forgot to stick the leftovers, probably a quarter rack of ribs, in the fridge(they'd been out overnight at that point). I still want to eat them. I am definitely contemplating eating them when I get home in a few hours...

How much of a risk of food poisoning am I loving with? I don't think I've ever had food poisoning before, and this bad decision isn't my first so I don't know how susceptible I am/aren't.