Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've only seen XBMC once, and that was on a hacked first gen Xbox years ago. I've been using VLC for over a decade and it seems to play everything and has met my needs of "find file in video folder, press play, do not need to download special codec XYZ, it just plays"

I'm open to XBMC if it is at that level now

VLC should run on a chromebook with intel processor, there's a wide variety of guides on getting windows/ubuntu running on intel chromebooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

ShadowStalker posted:

No, but can't you just sign up as living in an area that's covered?

Nope billing zip code needs to match a zip code in an available area

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

ShadowStalker posted:

No, but can't you just sign up as living in an area that's covered?

Is this possible? Trip report.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I just feel like a dupe paying 8 bucks a month for something I should be able to get for free, and I barely ever actually use it. Literally the only thing I would ever watch is Jeopardy. No one caps thas.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm currently using a jailbroken Apple TV 2, which streams pretty much every type of file over my network, but there does not seem to be a way to get into Amazon Prime, which I have.

Another problem is that sometimes the videos I watch come through choppy, especially if they are too big, or whatever. However, it recently happened even with a 900mb movie file that was an avi of some sort, which I wasn't really expecting.

Does Chromecast work fairly well for streaming all types of media right from my computer (in a different room). The ATV2 I use has ethernet, which is nice, as I don't have a very fast wifi signal on my stock AT&T UVerse wifi router.

Is the Roku3 the better option for having a hardwired ethernet signal? Or does the Chromecast do a great job with all of that? (edit: I know it doesn't have ethernet, but does it do okay with a fairly mediocre wifi)

Also, Chromecast doesn't support Amazon Prime, does it...

Any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

Chinook fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 26, 2014

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Just ordered a Roku 3 and Chromecast. Looking forward to finally getting rid of AT&T once I get home.

The other thing I've considered getting is a Slingbox and hooking it up at my parents since then I'd finally be able to watch Flyers games at home, plus pretty much have cable just not at 1080. Would I be fine with just a 350? I probably won't do it for the cost of the 500.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Shyfted One posted:

Just ordered a Roku 3 and Chromecast. Looking forward to finally getting rid of AT&T once I get home.

The other thing I've considered getting is a Slingbox and hooking it up at my parents since then I'd finally be able to watch Flyers games at home, plus pretty much have cable just not at 1080. Would I be fine with just a 350? I probably won't do it for the cost of the 500.

How about neither?

http://www.myvulkano.com/products_volcano_flow.html

These still might be floating around at certain Radio shacks which I guess got some overstock of them. Look on their website (radioshack) and see if there's one near you. I went to one where they had one and I had to convince the person behind the counter to look hard in the back room and magically he found it.

Works petty well, I use it for the same reason as you. The setup is relatively painless and quality can be good depending on your parents' upstream bandwidth. Cheaper than a slingbox, that's for sure.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
It looks like a dead product judging from their forums and the lawsuit from Slingbox. The price difference between a Flow or 350 on ebay is just $20 ($80 vs $100) and the Slingbox has a Roku app. Is there something I'm missing that makes the Flow a better choice?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Shyfted One posted:

Sup flyers buddy.

I actually pay for GameCenter (which is $20 a month) and then use AdFreeTime to get around the local blackouts ($3 a month.) Bonus effect of being able to watch every hockey game broadcast, which is great, since even if I'm working or whatever I still put it on as background noise.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Sup fellow fan of misery. I was thinking about GameCenter as a backup option. I got it during the shortened season last year and it was pretty nice. Using a Slingbox would just be a cheaper option as it's a one time cost and would also give me a ton of content.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Medullah posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned recently, but it was pointed out to me a few months ago and I want to make sure I share. If you use Hulu+ to get your shows, you can get it for free with minimal work with Bing rewards through Microsoft. Essentially, you do 30 searches a day with Bing and click some random pages here and there and you get enough credits to get a free Hulu+ membership every month. This is whether you do "legit" searches for stuff you're actually looking for, OR just search for something, then tab-click the "related searches" that pop up, rinse repeat til you hit 30...generally takes me under a minute a day to get my points. You can get a $5 Amazon gift card every month if you do it, or a Hulu membership, which is a better way. I included my referral link but feel free to just go to Bing and not use it, I just wanted to get the word out there. :)

This was from a few days ago but I joined off of your referral link. I just got enough points to get Hulu Plus membership. I'll try setting it up tomorrow. I'm bringing it up again because their page says that for February "Friends that you invite also get 200 bonus credits" and I got my extra 200 points today. If anyone else is interested in checking it out now when you click Medullah's referral link in the quote he gets 200 points and so do you. Hulu Plus is 450 points so you're almost half way there for the month.

There are also extended free trials for Hulu Plus like this one from StarTalk Radio that gives you 2 week instead of one. And that's a fun science podcast for the time when you're not watching free TV.

Doobie Keebler fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 1, 2014

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Doobie Keebler posted:

This was from a few days ago but I joined off of your referral link. I just got enough points to get Hulu Plus membership. I'll try setting it up tomorrow. I'm bringing it up again because their page says that for February "Friends that you invite also get 200 bonus credits" and I got my extra 200 points today. If anyone else is interested in checking it out now when you click Medullah's referral link in the quote he gets 200 points and so do you. Hulu Plus is 450 points so you're almost half way there for the month.

There are also extended free trials for Hulu Plus like this one from StarTalk Radio that gives you 2 week instead of one. And that's a fun science podcast for the time when you're not watching free TV.

Awesome, thanks!

You really do get bonus points quick...at this point if I stopped using Bing rewards I wouldn't be billed for Hulu+ until April.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
So that's where I got that extra 200 credits from!

Also they have Bing Rewards for mobile now. Being only in silver that at least nets me 10 extra points a day. Also I'm not sure why or how but I was 449/450 required for Hulu Plus when I went to sleep and now I'm at 452.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

averox posted:

So that's where I got that extra 200 credits from!

Also they have Bing Rewards for mobile now. Being only in silver that at least nets me 10 extra points a day. Also I'm not sure why or how but I was 449/450 required for Hulu Plus when I went to sleep and now I'm at 452.

I wish I would have waited a few days to join.

Just used the mobile set up too so now I can get 25 points a day. I also like the random links they give you to click to gain more. Hopefully I can add to my totals quickly so I can bring up these points!

Thanks for talking about Bing Rewards.

ssspy007
Aug 5, 2003
What is the app called? I can't seem to find it in the app store unless it is just called Bing ?

VVVV Thanks I knew I was missing something obvious. VVVV

ssspy007 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 3, 2014

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I wish I would have waited a few days to join.

I had joined well before the each person gets 200 points thing but still got it. At least I believe so because I was clicking through one day and right around when I hit silver I got a huge boost. Haven't given anyone a referral link either so it can't be that.

ssspy007 posted:

What is the app called? I can't seem to find it in the app store unless it is just called Bing ?

It isn't an app. Just log in with your phone to the bing rewards page. I do notice that on an iPad I get the desktop version of the site. Easily fixed since here are other browsers that let you change what your browser is detected as.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

My new TV doesn't have audio out. I have no idea how this is possible. But it's a nice non-Smart LED Samsung TV so I don't care.

As a result I will need a TV tuner that outputs HDMI or component so I can get OTA TV audio into my AVR. Does anyone have any specific suggestions?

feld fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 4, 2014

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004

feld posted:

My new TV doesn't have audio out. I have no idea how this is possible. But it's a nice non-Smart LED Samsung TV so I don't care.

As a result I will need a TV tuner that outputs HDMI or component so I can get OTA TV audio into my AVR. Does anyone have any specific suggestions?

You could check if your HDMI connection has an audio return channel (ARC). It is usually found on the first HDMI input on newer TV's If your TV and AVR support an ARC you will just need to plug an HDMI cable into them and set them to work together and voila you will have sound on your AVR.

This is the most acronym heavy post I have ever made.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Any recommendations for streaming Barclay's Premier League in the US? Roku would be preferred but not necessary.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bishyaler posted:

Any recommendations for streaming Barclay's Premier League in the US? Roku would be preferred but not necessary.

I use NBC Sports Live Extra on my iPhone and AirPlay it to my AppleTV. Not sure if that helps but the quality is fantastic. It streams in full HD.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Do you have XBMC? Sportsdevil is a great little add-on that connects to Wiziwig. My recomendation would be to pick streams that use "Acestream" or "StreamTorrent" both are almost always very high quality and a few initial buffers will work solidly from there on out.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'd greatly appreciate some guidance on selecting an outdoor antenna that will suit my needs. I'll be mounting it outdoors on an existing disused Dish mount. Unfortunately, the Dish mount is on the NE half of the roof and the signals are coming from the SW.

Below is a chart from TVFool.com highlighting the 7 signals I'm trying to receive. The farther 5 transmitters are all Line-of-Sight at 19 miles, -32.5 to -34.4 dBm Signal Power, 58.3 to 56.4 dB Noise Margin.

When selecting an antenna, am I trying to match the antenna Gain to the Signal Power or Noise Margin numbers provided in the chart? Since the transmitter locations are only 78° apart, would I be better served by a directional or multidirectional? And are Hi-V (11 and 13) close enough to UHF than I can choose an antenna that's only advertised as UHF, or do I need one advertised as Hi-V/UHF?

I don't want to spend $100+ if I don't need to, so I'm leaning toward this Windegard HD-1080 or this Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB.

Finally, how do I know if I need an amp or pre-amp, and how do I wire/power them?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 11, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
According to TV Fool anything in green (especially with LOS) will probably be picked up fine by an indoor antenna. Since you're relatively close an omni or multidirectional antenna will probably work better than a more tightly focused directional antenna.

Judging for an amp is probably tricky unless you have a signal meter. Unless you have a ridiculously long run of cable from the antenna (over 100 ft or so) you probably don't need one too much

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

goku chewbacca posted:

I'd greatly appreciate some guidance on selecting an outdoor antenna that will suit my needs. I'll be mounting it outdoors on an existing disused Dish mount. Unfortunately, the Dish mount is on the NE half of the roof and the signals are coming from the SW.

Below is a chart from TVFool.com highlighting the 7 signals I'm trying to receive. The farther 5 transmitters are all Line-of-Sight at 19 miles, -32.5 to -34.4 dBm Signal Power, 58.3 to 56.4 dB Noise Margin.

When selecting an antenna, am I trying to match the antenna Gain to the Signal Power or Noise Margin numbers provided in the chart? Since the transmitter locations are only 78° apart, would I be better served by a directional or multidirectional? And are Hi-V (11 and 13) close enough to UHF than I can choose an antenna that's only advertised as UHF, or do I need one advertised as Hi-V/UHF?

I don't want to spend $100+ if I don't need to, so I'm leaning toward this Windegard HD-1080 or this Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB.

Finally, how do I know if I need an amp or pre-amp, and how do I wire/power them?

Buy and install a new mast at the top of your roof. Its a 10 minute job.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Is there even any point in me trying one of those leaf-style antennas?
I have a feeling that these results are fairly dire...

Ohvee fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 12, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ohvee posted:

Is there even any point in me trying one of those leaf-style antennas?
I have a feeling that these results are fairly dire...

No. It would be so annoying if you got anything, you'd throw it in the trash. They're not joking about the 30 mile radius.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Ok, that's what I figured. It's better to just forget about that for now and avoid the frustration/disappointment.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ohvee posted:

Ok, that's what I figured. It's better to just forget about that for now and avoid the frustration/disappointment.

There are fairly cheap powered antennas that advertise a 60 mile range, but a Leaf is what it is.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

There are fairly cheap powered antennas that advertise a 60 mile range, but a Leaf is what it is.

Oh? I've been looking at some locally but a few of the shops want like $500 for them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

Oh? I've been looking at some locally but a few of the shops want like $500 for them.

I remember seeing some in the $100 range when I was looking. I just went with Aereo instead.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Gunslinger posted:

Thats ridiculous. You can get a 60 mile outdoor antenna for $20-$100

http://www.solidsignal.com/cview_antennas.asp?mc=03&d=over-the-air-tv-antennas-supplies&c=TV%20Antennas&cea=LD

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't really understand what Aereo is. It seems like I pay them $10/month for them to install an OTA antenna for me in their building and then stream the stations to me? Do I just get the same channels if I were to buy one of those paper flex antennas in the OP?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't really understand what Aereo is. It seems like I pay them $10/month for them to install an OTA antenna for me in their building and then stream the stations to me? Do I just get the same channels if I were to buy one of those paper flex antennas in the OP?

If you're in range. Aereo also lets you watch on any device and has DVR functionality. It's not perfect though.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Seriously, call these guys if you need help picking out an antenna. Their tech support told me exactly what antenna would work for me, emailed me a diagram showing how to combine two or more antennas, and told me how to pick up signals from another market ~60 miles away if I wanted to. On top of that, they sell the antenna I need for less than Amazon.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

For those of you who are using Bing Rewards to get Hulu Plus for free, I had a quick question.

I just had my subscription renew at the beginning of this month. I got my subscription code the other day. Can i go ahead and add my subscription code now or should I wait until it is closer to my next month's renewal?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

For those of you who are using Bing Rewards to get Hulu Plus for free, I had a quick question.

I just had my subscription renew at the beginning of this month. I got my subscription code the other day. Can i go ahead and add my subscription code now or should I wait until it is closer to my next month's renewal?

Add it now, you'll get a month tacked on. Thanks to the goons here that clicked my referral link, I have like 2 months in the bank.

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004

Medullah posted:

Add it now, you'll get a month tacked on. Thanks to the goons here that clicked my referral link, I have like 2 months in the bank.

You should have another 200 coming from me! I used it and just hit silver. Thanks for the info, I am using it and hopefully won't have to pay for hulu plus ever!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I floated the idea of ditching cable to the wife-to-be. I soon realized this will be a losing argument if we can't get Food Network and TLC. Any streaming options for those?

A couple of general questions too:

- Does Hulu have "real time" feeds (like a traditional programmed channel you can just tune in to) or is it purely on demand? I know stuff like Vevo on Apple TV and the upcoming WWE Network have both, but I'm not sure how common that is.

- Do any models of Roku have a sleep timer on them? I don't think my ISP has a bandwith cap, but I don't wanna push my luck and get throttled (I like falling asleep to TV).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

I floated the idea of ditching cable to the wife-to-be. I soon realized this will be a losing argument if we can't get Food Network and TLC. Any streaming options for those?

- Does Hulu have "real time" feeds (like a traditional programmed channel you can just tune in to) or is it purely on demand? I know stuff like Vevo on Apple TV and the upcoming WWE Network have both, but I'm not sure how common that is.

- Do any models of Roku have a sleep timer on them? I don't think my ISP has a bandwith cap, but I don't wanna push my luck and get throttled (I like falling asleep to TV).

No on both Food network and TLC. My wife was the same way when we ditched cable. Granted, she missed having an actual DVR for live events more than white-noise channels (yes, I know there are standalone DVRs for this purpose).

And Hulu does not have live streams, to my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Minidust posted:

A lot of cable shows that air on Food Network, etc, can be purchased on Amazon (right through Roku if you're going that way) pretty soon after they air. They're like 2 bucks each. Not a great option. Older seasons are usually free with Prime but not always.

As far as sleeptimer, most (like seriously almost 100%. The only ones I can think of that aren't are like webcam streams) Roku programs are VOD, and they end when they're over. There's no built in sleeptimer that I know of.