Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

ScienceAndMusic posted:

But for comparitive purposes they are still equivalent...

Regardless I'm fine using this metric, I play with 13.6 inches/360. I am just curious to see the sensitivity most players use.

Yeah I edited my above post and I realize that. This is a dumb derail but basically if you want people in this thread to tell you whether your sensitivity is good/bad/whatever use inches per 360.

edit: countdown to the obligatory "lol nerds sensitivity doesn't matter because <anecdotal story #123456789> post"

astr0man fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

astr0man posted:

Yeah I edited my above post and I realize that. This is a dumb derail but basically if you want people in this thread to tell you whether your sensitivity is good/bad/whatever use inches per 360.

I agree this is a dumb derail, and I also agree that inches per 360 makes more sense and I will use it from now on. My only point, and then I promise to drop this, is just that its easier for your average tom dick and harry to tell you "true" sensitivity because it involves multiplying two numbers together versus using an external tool.

But yeah, I understand why inches per 360 is easier to visualize.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Oh my GOD shut the gently caress up

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Oh my GOD shut the gently caress up

Would you prefer we go back to posting aug puns :v:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Looks like he is distraught.

So apparently I need to down my sensitivity, and I even have an extraordinarily large mouse pad, but I find that if I bring it down any lower than I have, my aim at range does well, but anytime someone is within 10 feet of me I can't move fast enough to track accurately.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

astr0man posted:

Would you prefer we go back to posting aug puns :v:

They might be better than the Aug-ument.

Ok, that was bad.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Unbound posted:

They might be better than the Aug-ument.

Ok, that was bad.

It wasn't an aug-ument, it was an aug-scussion.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Unbound posted:

Ok, that was bad.

It was augful.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What's the difference between dumb suppressed CT pistol than the dumb standard CT pistol aside from the suppressor?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

astr0man posted:

Use a measurement that actually makes sense like inches/360 please.

http://www.notalent.org/sensitivity/sensitivity.htm

Something's not right. This says I'm doing 1.5 inches/360: 1800 horizontal DPI in the Logitech profile, windows 6, ingame 1, and I reinstalled recently so m_yaw should still be default especially since I wasn't aware of its existence.

Yet I just tested it in-game and it takes almost all of my mousepad to do a 360, so roughly 12 inches (the pad is 12.5 inches wide). Any idea what I could be missing?

Dr Cheeto posted:

What's the difference between dumb suppressed CT pistol than the dumb standard CT pistol aside from the suppressor?

Slightly smaller mag, much less reserve ammo, much less recoil.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 17, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

NihilCredo posted:

Something's not right. This says I'm doing 1.5 inches/360: 1800 horizontal DPI in the Logitech profile, windows 6, ingame 1, and I reinstalled recently so m_yaw should still be default especially since I wasn't aware of its existence.

Yet I just tested it in-game and it takes almost all of my mousepad to do a 360, so roughly 12 inches (the pad is 12.5 inches wide). Any idea what I could be missing?

You're setting the windows box to 6 when it should be 1 on that site. You're at 9.1 inches/360

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

NihilCredo posted:

Windows sens 6 = Windows multipler 1

9.1/360, very high.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

NihilCredo posted:

I had this exact issue, and I had changed the cursor speed in the Logitech settings many moons ago which made the results skewed.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

astr0man posted:

You're setting the windows box to 6 when it should be 1 on that site. You're at 9.1 inches/360

Ahh thanks. To be fair it was only written in GIANT BOLD CAPS AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE so it was easy to miss.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

mcvey posted:

Windows sens 6 = Windows multipler 1

9.1/360, very high.
"Slightly high", realistically man. I play around there too, Hikos only got like a 10 inch 360 if memory serves.

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item
If you aren't at 24-26 inches for a 360 you are doing it wrong.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
How the heck do you low-sensitivity guys find enough room for 9, 12, 15 inches per 360? Whenever I drop my ingame sensitivity lower than about 5-6 inches/360 I'm always whacking the side of my keyboard or mousing off the edge of my desk. Does everybody have a tenkeyless keyboard and a huge desk? I do want to get better at aiming but getting a new keyboard/desk seems to be a really expensive way of doing that.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I have a full size keyboard. My desk is just wide enough to fit my keyboard at a slight diagonal and a qck+ mousepad next to it. But realistically it's not like I am ever doing a full 360 in csgo, so I don't even use the whole mousepad most of the time.

edit: Basically if you find yourself having to quickly turn further than 180 degrees on a regular basis your positioning/angles are bad. Even a 180 shouldn't be necessary most of the time.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Over the past couple months I continually lowered my sens and felt like my aim was improving the whole time, even with not very many hours to adjust to each sens adjustment downward I did. Ended up cleaning off my desk to make more space and buying a giant rear end mousepad, currently at 25.5inches/360 and it feels great. I'm making a lot of shots I never, ever would have made at a higher sens.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
9.1 inches per 360. I have a tiny mousepad though, might upgrade in the future.

Sadly the more I lower my sens the worse my awping gets, even if my rifling improves.

It's taken me a long time after lowering it again a couple months ago to get used to it for awping. I'm almost considering making a bind to change sens based on which weapon I buy.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Dr Cheeto posted:

The silencer can cause the enemy to hesitate or second guess themselves and buy you a few precious slivers of time in certain scenarios*. With the tighter aim / lower mag caps you shouldn't use it unless you're a very confident shot and can click heads reliably.

*That nuke match from a few days ago where that new guy snuck behind the Ts and popped them off one by one, pulling a 1v3 clutch

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ephedra posted:

If you aren't at 24-26 inches for a 360 you are doing it wrong.

This. Mines actually at 27.3 :smug:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Necc0 posted:

The silencer can cause the enemy to hesitate or second guess themselves and buy you a few precious slivers of time in certain scenarios*. With the tighter aim / lower mag caps you shouldn't use it unless you're a very confident shot and can click heads reliably.

My reasoning is the opposite: I suck with pistols, so I'm better off getting a slight help from the suppressor than having extra rounds I will rarely ever use (because I will usually be dead before then).

I'm loving the CZ75 for similar reasons - makes it way easier to get that first kill, then I'll pick up their gun and anything more I do is gravy since with a P250 I would typically have already been dead.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 17, 2014

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I feel like I want to participate in this conversation but I can't even figure out my windows mouse sensitivity number (it's just a bar!) or my mouse DPI.

I've been trying to lower my sensitivity but I don't have much space between the water warped spot on the desk and my keyboard.

Edit: I actually put brain into it and figured out the bar isn't actually slide-able and it's 1/11's ..... Now to figure out my dpi.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 17, 2014

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
There are notches on the bar, it should be at 1 or 6. Then you adjust the dpi of your mouse to get something comfortable from there. If your mouse's dpi isn't adjustable you probably need a new mouse

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
6.2 inches/per 360.

I feel so pro knowing this, now I just need to lower my game off max settings.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Woo, sensitivity talk! I'm at 27.3 inches/360.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

So for those who are at 20+ inches/360, what do you do when the fight gets in close and people are jumping/running around you? How the hell do you keep up?

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So for those who are at 20+ inches/360, what do you do when the fight gets in close and people are jumping/running around you? How the hell do you keep up?

I'm running 22"/360, but I have a 17" mousepad (QcK+). There's really no difficulty at all keeping up. I have yet to run into a situation where I couldn't turn fast enough, even in spots like turning in Back of Site from Window at B on Dust 2, or dropping down on someone in Pit. Maybe there is some situation where I happen to already be on the side of my mousepad while a guy jumps right past me on that same side, but so far it hasn't happened. For the most part, I really don't run into situations where I suddenly need to turn 180+ degrees.

IT BEGINS fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 17, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shadowlz posted:

Woo, sensitivity talk! I'm at 27.3 inches/360.

Sup same sensitivity buddy :cool::hf::cool:

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I always try to put myself in a position where I have the enemy in front of me. Knowing angles and map awareness helps with that. It's rare when I actually have to do a complete 360 and end up getting killed that way. I also play from the elbow and have a decent sized mouse pad (12x10 I think) and I've been making big sweeping motions to make quick turns if need be since my 1.6 days.

[edit]
It's also kind of rare to see any decent CS player running and jumping around you while shooting and killing you. CS doesn't work that way, haha.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 17, 2014

Iriquois
Jun 6, 2013
I play at 10inches/360 and find that alright to use for general running around, but my mouse has a little button on the thumb rest that halves the dpi while you hold it down which helps with sniping at longer ranges. I couldn't play with that sensitivity though, it would be like trying to turn in treacle.

VoiceOfIntuition
Apr 11, 2009

teagone posted:

It's also kind of rare to see any decent CS player running and jumping around you while shooting and killing you. CS doesn't work that way, haha.

Really cause I see that happen to you like all the time :smugdog:

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Iriquois posted:

I play at 10inches/360 and find that alright to use for general running around, but my mouse has a little button on the thumb rest that halves the dpi while you hold it down which helps with sniping at longer ranges. I couldn't play with that sensitivity though, it would be like trying to turn in treacle.

I can guarantee that dropping your sensitivity to half that (20"/360) will significantly improve your game, so long as you have enough space on the mousepad. Think of it this way: would you rather have better accuracy for the thing you do 99.5% of the time (attempt to get headshots on people from medium range) or the thing you do much less than 1% of the time (have to spin on someone that is more than 90° from where you are aiming)?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ScienceAndMusic posted:

If this happens often enough that it makes sense to trade away your long-distance aim then you have much bigger problems than your mouse sensitivity.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I am going to start playing at a 10 foot 360 or a .1 inch 360 to prove a point. I don't know what the point will be, but I imagine someone will be annoyed at my settings.

Necc0 posted:

If this happens often enough that it makes sense to trade away your long-distance aim then you have much bigger problems than your mouse sensitivity.

Stop slandering people who die because of me. Thanks.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Petition to ban fml from all games due to banning and being afk, also being an inferior human because he is an aussie.

God I hate this loving game, nothing gets me angry but CSGO. It is literally being addicted to drugs in that I never stop taking them, no matter the consequences and harm to my health.

PROTOSTORM!!! fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 18, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

VoiceOfIntuition posted:

Really cause I see that happen to you like all the time :smugdog:

It happens like once every 15-20 matches OK. That's rare to me :colbert:.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

teagone posted:

It happens like once every 15-20 matches OK. That's rare to me :colbert:.
Can we also count the number of times guys have RUN UP behind you spraying their guns, and we all instantly know "griffs dead, he'll never turn around in time."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Coleman posted:

Can we also count the number of times guys have RUN UP behind you spraying their guns, and we all instantly know "griffs dead, he'll never turn around in time."

That doesn't count. 95% of the time that happens to anyone regardless of their sensitivity, they're hosed. That's called "getting the drop" on someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
If someone gets behind you you should be dead regardless.

• Locked thread