Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The augs plus the menu hotkeys use every single F key, so there's no way to fit them all in easy reach no matter what. I've moved the scope and laser keys to Z and C, though. Normally they turn you left and right, but that's just a legacy from the pre-mouse era. I think I move "Switch Ammo Types" to F, as well. I forget if it starts there or not.

Since I asked I guess I should disclose it: for Deus ex (and the above games) I switched from WASD to ESDF. R reload, w & r lean, t reload y change ammo, and alt, q, a, z, x, c, v, b are augs. Middle mouse is laser & tab is scope.

It takes getting used to, that i can tell you for a fact, but it allows more flexibility and ease of access when you get new augmentations. It also helps that augs are introduced gradually so I can get used to the fact that Z is superspeed and X is strength (and so on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Now you'll never play for the Nicks Bobbin. :colbert: If you just aim for the backboard like you would in real life you should get it in only a few tries.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Since I was relatively young at the time, the first time I ordered a drink in a pub was soon after playing Deus Ex. And since I am a tremendous dork, I said "Beer please" in the manner of JC in the most recent video.

Of course she didn't get the reference and was left saying "Er... which one?" - but at least I entertained myself.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Now you'll never play for the Nicks Bobbin. :colbert: If you just aim for the backboard like you would in real life you should get it in only a few tries.

I've gotten the nicks comment several times, but never has the ball gone through the hoop. It always bounces off of the ring but that's enough for the game to give the prompt so I feel like I accomplished something anyway :smug:

Not as good as the System shock basketball though :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Five posted:

Are you Canadian? And by chance do you live in the Kitchener/Waterloo area?

Nah I live in New Zealand. It's basically a giant retirement home and no one has any real problems so they make things up to keep the government occupied.

Dark Cohomology
Nov 4, 2009
The part with Majestic 12 in the sewer is one of my favorites in the game. I didn't find it until like my third playthrough, and I was surprised you could find a hint of the conspiracy to come. It's really cool, like one of the only things in the game that makes you feel like you discovered something you shouldn't have; it's a shame that the second half of the game in comaparison is more "well we know who's bad so let's get 'em."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dark Cohomology posted:

The part with Majestic 12 in the sewer is one of my favorites in the game. I didn't find it until like my third playthrough, and I was surprised you could find a hint of the conspiracy to come. It's really cool, like one of the only things in the game that makes you feel like you discovered something you shouldn't have; it's a shame that the second half of the game in comaparison is more "well we know who's bad so let's get 'em."

Agreed. I'd really have loved for the game to string the player along a bit longer, or at least thrown in some more MJ12 stuff in the early game. As it is you don't even really have to find anything related to the conspiracy before you get tossed into the slammer at the MJ12 base, which can be a bit jarring to be honest.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cerebral Bore posted:

Agreed. I'd really have loved for the game to string the player along a bit longer, or at least thrown in some more MJ12 stuff in the early game. As it is you don't even really have to find anything related to the conspiracy before you get tossed into the slammer at the MJ12 base, which can be a bit jarring to be honest.

I think that's the idea.

MAHCL
Jul 31, 2008
I just finished watching Lecture 06, and being someone who is HIV positive: I really appreciated the sentiment expressed in your Science Corner segment. Your views on vaccination and potential side effects versus overall societal benefit are spot on (or at least congruent with my own opinions) and your closing remarks seemed heartfelt in a way that I find uncharacteristic of this subforum. Thanks for this.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
One small tweak to the science corner. (sort of) Florine gas is significantly nastier than Chlorine gas to the point that if you inhaled some Florine, and weren't dead, the doctors will have you breath in some Chlorine because you have a better chance of surviving the Chlorine than the Florine. However if it has been longer than 30 min it doesn't matter the damage has been done.
The way it works is that Fl2 is relatively harmless but highly reactive. And Chlorine is more competitive for the atoms that make the Florine compounds deadly. And as a result the Florine
My university Chem teacher had a bottle of Fl2 in his lab so he had an idea as to what the risks and treatments where.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Major_JF posted:

One small tweak to the science corner. (sort of) Florine gas is significantly nastier than Chlorine gas to the point that if you inhaled some Florine, and weren't dead, the doctors will have you breath in some Chlorine because you have a better chance of surviving the Chlorine than the Florine. However if it has been longer than 30 min it doesn't matter the damage has been done.
The way it works is that Fl2 is relatively harmless but highly reactive. And Chlorine is more competitive for the atoms that make the Florine compounds deadly. And as a result the Florine
My university Chem teacher had a bottle of Fl2 in his lab so he had an idea as to what the risks and treatments where.

Yes, actually the reason both halogens are dangerous is because they'll react with water to create hydrochloric or hydrofluoric acid, and guess what humans (including our lungs) are mostly made of? HCl is a strong acid that can cause chemical burns on contact, but HF is more insidious, a weak acid that can infiltrate the skin to cause nerve and bone damage before neutralizing. Fortunately, tap water is also very carefully Ph balanced so that these acids cannot form--salt water, for instance, can carry as many free chlorine ions as the same amount of hydrochloric acid, but because of the presence of sodium ions, it tastes salty instead of sour (all acids taste sour) and it won't burn your throat going down.

Chemistry is a really strange science sometimes.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If they want to accurately model the way most employees keep their passwords secure, they will have them on sticky notes right next to their keyboards or on their monitors. I really enjoyed your personal thoughts segment in this update, it's pretty much how anyone with any intelligence should respond to the paranoid floride nonsense.
\/\/JC acts like that due to his augmentations, he literally cannot express emotions.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 18, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So I'm gonna guess JC never removes that stick from his rear end? He's not an unsympathetic character, but his stoicism makes some of the scenes he's in mildly funny.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Maremidon posted:

So I'm gonna guess JC never removes that stick from his rear end? He's not an unsympathetic character, but his stoicism makes some of the scenes he's in mildly funny.

And some outright hilarious. I wouldn't change his deadpan delivery for the world.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Other games closely related that had the basketball court: System Shock 2 and Thief.

Scramble grenades can be useful but they're very situational; its almost always better to use an EMP. Still, it can be funny to see a giant bot start mowing down enemy troops for you--or even better to start infighting with the goddamned spider bots.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

I'm not gonna lie, the 'Corner' segments get better and better, the deeper we go. Your reaction in 'Personal Thoughts' to the topic, had me grinning like a moron.

On a vaguely related topic, Bobbin, have you considered lectures and such, because I, at least, could listen to you talking about just about anything. You going into detail in a way that most anyone could follow really makes the Corner segments an absolute treat to listen to.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Dreadwroth posted:

\/\/JC acts like that due to his augmentations, he literally cannot express emotions.

I'm pretty sure Reyes was making fun of the Denton brothers when he said they couldn't smile and not referring to a medical condition. I know it's hard to tell, but as I've said, it seems like Jamie's voice actor got no direction for his lines. Besides, Paul's been nanoauged, too, and he has no trouble expressing emotions. Hell, he's even got the same voice actor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It really says something about the human ability to endure that we regularly drink chlorine, even in small doses. The stuff is just plain nasty. Indoor pools in particular have all sorts of maintenance issues arising from the fact that a good chunk of the chlorinated water vapors are trapped in the room and don't disperse into the atmosphere when it evaporates.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I raise my glass of slightly-poisoned tap water to you, Bobbin. These science corners are excellent. I was aware of the use of fermentation to provide a source of potable drinking water for early man, but I never even thought about that as reason for the prevalence of brewed beverages such as tea.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I'm pretty sure Reyes was making fun of the Denton brothers when he said they couldn't smile and not referring to a medical condition. I know it's hard to tell, but as I've said, it seems like Jamie's voice actor got no direction for his lines. Besides, Paul's been nanoauged, too, and he has no trouble expressing emotions. Hell, he's even got the same voice actor.

Ohhh huh, that makes sense then. I guess it goes along with some of the hilariously awful VA in this game.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, the corners are great. As we continue to go through various conspiracy theories, I look forward to the day when personal thoughts amount to nothing but 30 seconds of laughing, a long sigh, and then the video just ends.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

FoolyCharged posted:

It really says something about the human ability to endure that we regularly drink chlorine, even in small doses. The stuff is just plain nasty. Indoor pools in particular have all sorts of maintenance issues arising from the fact that a good chunk of the chlorinated water vapors are trapped in the room and don't disperse into the atmosphere when it evaporates.

I've worked at pools off and on for about 15 years, and there's been a lot of cool recent technology with plenty of misinformation to accompany it. The strong odor you get at a swimming pool is actually the chloramines the water gives off when the chlorine in the water reacts with contaminants. Back in the day you had to rely mostly on ventilation to reduce this, and having worked at a pool with essentially zero ventilation I can tell you that "lifeguard lung" is an actual thing.

Nowadays pools usually have either an ozone- or ultraviolet-based filter that helps a great deal. Note that because it's a part of the filter it doesn't mean you get to use less chlorine; it's absolutely necessary to have something in the water to handle contaminations immediately. I don't just mean AFRs (yes, the Red Cross has now made "Accidental Fecal Release" its 500,000th acronym to forget), but everyone sweats, spits, and sheds when they swim. That water gets into every crevice.

That said, once my current pool got its UV filter the air quality skyrocketed. Most of the heavy lifting is now being done in the back room, and if someone gets diaper gravy in the water then worst-case we give the pool six hours for all the water to cycle through the filter to kill any cryptosporidia (in the past it meant hyperchlorinating for a couple of days, which used to actually be standard procedure once a month anyway).

xSangiune8
Jul 7, 2012
An amusing fact that brings water treatment history full circle: mature tea leaves contain high levels of fluorine naturally, and you can give yourself fluorosis if you consume mature tea excessively (this has been documented, but it tends to be contracted by people who historically have used brick tea as a food source, rather than tea drinkers). It seems mankind has been unknowingly fluoridating their water for millennia - who knew?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Maremidon posted:

That depends. If you're going for the legendary rear end in a top hat Denton run he gets less of a stick up his rear end and instead comes off as the biggest douchebag ever. Because holy poo poo you can be a royal rear end in a top hat in this game.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

HCl is a strong acid that can cause chemical burns on contact, but HF is more insidious, a weak acid that can infiltrate the skin to cause nerve and bone damage before neutralizing.

Worse than that, a big problem with acute HF exposure is it sucks up calcium thanks to how the fluoride reacts with it so strongly. Calcium is more important than just forming strong bones; in point of fact, your bones are calcium/phosphorous storage vessels since they constantly get built up and broken down again by the actual bone cells in them to keep their blood level constant (weakening from calcium lack is from them being broken down too much to fill that lack, a la fat shrinking with starvation). Personal theory here, but might even be why bones evolved in the first place, then natural selection started favoring deposits in particular places for protection. Anyway, calcium has a LOT of functions in various cells as a signal, so it affects a lot of tissue types. In addition to the aforementioned nerve/bone issues, a more pressing issue is that hypocalcaemia (lack of calcium) affects muscle function... including your heart, so you start getting arrhythmia and thus kinda sorta die. I think I recall a suggested paramedic treatment for HF burns is actually soaking it in water mixed with ground up antacid tablets with calcium till they get you to the hospital to work on your blood chemistry there. Fortunately, this problem takes a lot more fluoride then you're likely to encounter in daily life (and drinking water most places has a fair amount of other ions that would react with it anyway).

Cerebral Bore posted:

That depends. If you're going for the legendary rear end in a top hat Denton run he gets less of a stick up his rear end and instead comes off as the biggest douchebag ever. Because holy poo poo you can be a royal rear end in a top hat in this game.

What a shame.

xSangiune8
Jul 7, 2012

MadDogMike posted:

Worse than that, a big problem with acute HF exposure is it sucks up calcium thanks to how the fluoride reacts with it so strongly. Calcium is more important than just forming strong bones; in point of fact, your bones are calcium/phosphorous storage vessels since they constantly get built up and broken down again by the actual bone cells in them to keep their blood level constant (weakening from calcium lack is from them being broken down too much to fill that lack, a la fat shrinking with starvation). Personal theory here, but might even be why bones evolved in the first place, then natural selection started favoring deposits in particular places for protection. Anyway, calcium has a LOT of functions in various cells as a signal, so it affects a lot of tissue types. In addition to the aforementioned nerve/bone issues, a more pressing issue is that hypocalcaemia (lack of calcium) affects muscle function... including your heart, so you start getting arrhythmia and thus kinda sorta die. I think I recall a suggested paramedic treatment for HF burns is actually soaking it in water mixed with ground up antacid tablets with calcium till they get you to the hospital to work on your blood chemistry there. Fortunately, this problem takes a lot more fluoride then you're likely to encounter in daily life (and drinking water most places has a fair amount of other ions that would react with it anyway).

Yeah, any lab that habitually works with HF will often keep calcium gluconate to put on HF burns to try and draw the fluorine away from the tissues. It's scary stuff to work with - far scarier than concentrated HCl any day.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
1) Scramble Grenades, worthless? Man, when you've got military bots there's nothing better to take care of them. Not only does a scramble grenade take the bot out of the fight, but now any other enemies in the area have their attentions split between you and the giant death robot. One of my favorite ways of handling the huge MJ12 presence when you pop out of the sewers in Paris is to just open the manhole, toss a scrambler against the bots (If you're lucky/good/trained up you can catch both big bots with one 'nade) slide bak down the ladder and twiddle my thumbs until the screaming stops. Vandenberg's the same way, Hong Kong... They're really one of my best problem solvers.

2) I thought for sure in your mention of water treatment you'd bring up silverware. As in actual pots and jugs made of silver, as could be found in roman times. For whatever reason, silver has a natural antibiotic property to it, the element causing bacterial cell membranes to come apart. Silver's not the only metal with the property, but it is the one least toxic to humans, and so more than clay or bone or wood, water stored in silver containers- or even just containers with silver in them, like actual silver coins or silver spoons- would sit for long periods without stagnating. That's how silverware came to be the preferred upper-crust dining utensil, because you could be sure they wouldn't give you the runs even if you hadn't used them in a few days.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

An interesting thing, Ford is actually supposed to appear in Smugglers place from now on (or maybe from the next time your in hell's kitchen), but some weird bug is preventing that. He's apparently supposed to give some fluff dialogue about nano augmentation/the gray death I think, and also give you an upgrade canister. I think you can still force him to spawn via the console when your at Smuggler's and he'll behave how he is supposed to.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

An interesting thing, Ford is actually supposed to appear in Smugglers place from now on (or maybe from the next time your in hell's kitchen), but some weird bug is preventing that. He's apparently supposed to give some fluff dialogue about nano augmentation/the gray death I think, and also give you an upgrade canister. I think you can still force him to spawn via the console when your at Smuggler's and he'll behave how he is supposed to.

:aaaaa: Now THAT I never knew. Nice!

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

GetWellGamers posted:

1) Scramble Grenades, worthless? Man, when you've got military bots there's nothing better to take care of them. Not only does a scramble grenade take the bot out of the fight, but now any other enemies in the area have their attentions split between you and the giant death robot. One of my favorite ways of handling the huge MJ12 presence when you pop out of the sewers in Paris is to just open the manhole, toss a scrambler against the bots (If you're lucky/good/trained up you can catch both big bots with one 'nade) slide bak down the ladder and twiddle my thumbs until the screaming stops. Vandenberg's the same way, Hong Kong... They're really one of my best problem solvers.

When I first played Deus Ex I was absolutely aghast when I used a scramble grenade in Hong Kong against a gigantic military bot and it then proceeded to mow down all the random civillians. Including school kids. It was awesome by all definitions of the word - I was in awe of the fact that the game would allow to happen, it was impressive to see, and I was horrified at what I had done. I reloaded a save from 5 minutes earlier cause there was no way I was going to continue having inadvertently killed an entire street full of innocent people.

GetWellGamers posted:

2) I thought for sure in your mention of water treatment you'd bring up silverware. As in actual pots and jugs made of silver, as could be found in roman times. For whatever reason, silver has a natural antibiotic property to it, the element causing bacterial cell membranes to come apart. Silver's not the only metal with the property, but it is the one least toxic to humans, and so more than clay or bone or wood, water stored in silver containers- or even just containers with silver in them, like actual silver coins or silver spoons- would sit for long periods without stagnating. That's how silverware came to be the preferred upper-crust dining utensil, because you could be sure they wouldn't give you the runs even if you hadn't used them in a few days.

Huh, never knew that about silver. I guess that's why some stories have it as being a weapon or protection against the supernatural, due to it having a "purifying" effect, and unholy and unclean being considered similar things. Silver weapons for killing werewolves, or silver chains for restrainging creatures. Some stories like to have it work against vampires too.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

GetWellGamers posted:

I suppose the fact that lead is as poisonous to most microbes as it is to humans is a big reason why it was used in plumbing and cups for so long, as well. Of course, lead as a disinfectant has proven to have far more negative consequences than chlorine could ever hope to accomplish.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

I suppose the fact that lead is as poisonous to most microbes as it is to humans is a big reason why it was used in plumbing and cups for so long, as well. Of course, lead as a disinfectant has proven to have far more negative consequences than chlorine could ever hope to accomplish.

I think its ability to be easily worked probably had more of an impact here--couple that with its relative lack of usefulness in weapons and armor and it was probably seen as the economical choice.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Sign him up for the Pistons!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

your evil twin posted:

Huh, never knew that about silver. I guess that's why some stories have it as being a weapon or protection against the supernatural

Not sure about that. The idea of werewolves being killed by silver is only as old as the 20th century.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
E: f,b
I was going to comment about how lead is easily workable but OAquinas beat me to it, so instead have a bonus link to the best chemistry blog on the internet.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 18, 2014

A Pair Of Ducks
Dec 16, 2009

OAquinas posted:

I think its ability to be easily worked probably had more of an impact here--couple that with its relative lack of usefulness in weapons and armor and it was probably seen as the economical choice.

I think in small doses it also tastes sweet, so lead cookware might have made food taste better, particularly to the sweetness crazy Romans.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

GetWellGamers posted:

It gives the "born with a silver spoon in his mouth" saying a richer context, too. It's less an expression of luxury than one of being able to afford sanitation back when it was only for the rich.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

A Pair Of Ducks posted:

I think in small doses it also tastes sweet, so lead cookware might have made food taste better, particularly to the sweetness crazy Romans.

Lead Acetate or Sugar of Lead...The Romans used it as a sugar substitute. :hist101:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Maremidon posted:

His rear end is augmented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Well 1st i was thinking this was your run of the mill lp of deus ex. But then i thought maybe it being by the same author as the brutal legend lp that it had to be good, and you didn't disappoint.

In the past when ever i tried to play Deus Ex i would always give up. I would get to hell's kitchen and just lose the drive to play. I dont know why i'm like that. Your lp method, on the other hand, has kept me enthralled! I like the dept you give the game with your philosophy/conspiracy/science/literature corner.

Might i ask: Do you do a lot of research? Or is this mostly prior knowledge?

Anyways thanks for making this quality lp

• Locked thread