Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

xZAOx posted:

Post-KS plans:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/posts/750645

Yep, paying a subscription for forums, in two tiers. Am I alone in thinking this is terrible?

Ugh.

Paying once for forum access/rewards (like something awful?) Okay, sure. Paying monthly? A subscription? Doesn't Visionary want input on their game, and fracturing the community like that sort of contradict that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
This was never a game, just a coke fund.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

Ugh.

Paying once for forum access/rewards (like something awful?) Okay, sure. Paying monthly? A subscription? Doesn't Visionary want input on their game, and fracturing the community like that sort of contradict that?

Im almost positive most the people who were "Smart" enough to throw money at the kickstarter will have no problem paying a monthly fee for the ability to post on the Pantheon forums.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Wow, that site is bad. Nothing on the homepage, SIXTEEN main menu options (every usability guide ever knows to limit choices to 5-7 ideally), terrible. And all those dumb options are social media stuff - your main game info should be at the top, with the ability to dig into social/community stuff. Just a big bag of WTF.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

Im almost positive most the people who were "Smart" enough to throw money at the kickstarter will have no problem paying a monthly fee for the ability to post on the Pantheon forums.

I put a lot of money into the kickstarter. I don't see what could convince me to pay a subscription to a forum, any forum in the world.

They could handle it like Shroud of the Avatar where you get access to forums based on your pledge amount. Not just monthly fees for simply forums access.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

I put a lot of money into the kickstarter. I don't see what could convince me to pay a subscription to a forum, any forum in the world.

They could handle it like Shroud of the Avatar where you get access to forums based on your pledge amount. Not just monthly fees for simply forums access.

Maybe brad's thinking is... "Hey! if these people were stupid enough to throw money at my piss poor kickstarter, they gotta be stupid enough to pay 15 bucks a month for forums access!!! Right guys? Guys...???"

On another note, you DO get your money back when the kickstarter fails to fund right?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

iminers posted:

Maybe brad's thinking is... "Hey! if these people were stupid enough to throw money at my piss poor kickstarter, they gotta be stupid enough to pay 15 bucks a month for forums access!!! Right guys? Guys...???"

On another note, you DO get your money back when the kickstarter fails to fund right?

You don't pay unless the Kickstarter funds.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jabro posted:

They have some of the reward tiers up on their onsite wiki with prices. The forum subscription tiers are:

Hahahahaha no. Brad McQuade you got some huge loving drug problems balls to think this will fly.

Now I bet this would work on the Star Citizen backers. Just tell them they are earning spaceship points for every month they are subbed that can be used to do stuff when it goes live.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 18, 2014

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face

Node posted:

Ugh.

What's hosed up is that this sub is IN ADDITION to pledge tiers that have not been posted yet. So monthly fee on top of this for access to.... I don't quite know what. This approach is disconcerting and not well thought through.

If they offered pre-alpha access, maybe I could justify it, but not a pubby forum.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I think someone noticed this thread because there is a new site now that isn't formatted correctly and ends up looking messed up with half the text cut off. Also you can't look at anything but the splash page with out signing up.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
They are going to lose a lot of support with this subscription thing... I don't see how anyone in their right mind could get behind this idea. The worst thing that can happen to an upcoming MMO is to be forgotten. Alienating a majority of interested people will cause them to eventually forget about it, because they didn't sign up for the crazy monthly subscription.

Pulled my kickstarter pledge, not like it's gonna get funded anyways. It was a small pledge to begin with.

G Prestige fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 18, 2014

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
Haha I'm loving this trainwreck. This is like the OUYA of MMOs.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

We need to find out which MMO HMO poster is desperate enough for an EQ1 experience to subscribe to this forum, but not so credulous that they won't copy posts over here so we can laugh at them.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Nauta posted:

Haha I'm loving this trainwreck. This is like the OUYA of MMOs.

The Ouya was a success if you look at the kickstarter.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

sinewave posted:

What's hosed up is that this sub is IN ADDITION to pledge tiers that have not been posted yet. So monthly fee on top of this for access to.... I don't quite know what. This approach is disconcerting and not well thought through.

If they offered pre-alpha access, maybe I could justify it, but not a pubby forum.

The tiers are in their wiki page. I quickly looked at a couple and they seem to be similar to the KS pledges. There are $25 and $35 tiers which are private for some reason though.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

randombattle posted:

The Ouya was a success if you look at the kickstarter.

Maybe, but it was doomed from the start.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nauta posted:

Maybe, but it was doomed from the start.

Aaaaaand...scene.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Someone pay for the $15 forums so we can have a window into the groupthink circlejerk of hope, insanity, and delusion.

E: Oh, open read I guess.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 18, 2014

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

~AVOIDING DESIGN MISTAKES ONE MONTHLY FORUM FEE AT A TIME~

Honestly, Pantheon isn't getting made but I really don't want to get a real job. Not that anyone would hire me anyway.

LOCATE CORPSE ON MY CAREER PLZ

xZAOx posted:

Wow, that site is bad. Nothing on the homepage, SIXTEEN main menu options (every usability guide ever knows to limit choices to 5-7 ideally), terrible. And all those dumb options are social media stuff - your main game info should be at the top, with the ability to dig into social/community stuff. Just a big bag of WTF.

It's undergoing major surgery at the moment. We re-launch it this Saturday, so it's pretty much in beta right now and changing all of the time. I'm confident what we launch Saturday will kick rear end.

-Brad

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

Honestly, Pantheon isn't getting made but I really don't want to get a real job. Not that anyone would hire me anyway.

jabro posted:

The tiers are in their wiki page. I quickly looked at a couple and they seem to be similar to the KS pledges. There are $25 and $35 tiers which are private for some reason though.

The wiki page right now is serving as a place to put assets until we are ready to place them where they will go permanently.

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

randombattle posted:

I think someone noticed this thread because there is a new site now that isn't formatted correctly and ends up looking messed up with half the text cut off. Also you can't look at anything but the splash page with out signing up.

Yes, you are viewing the site being put together for Saturday's launch. So right now it's a work-in-progress and very messy.

We also have about 100 people with beta access helping us test functionality, load, etc., as well as giving us feedback.

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

G Prestige posted:

They are going to lose a lot of support with this subscription thing... I don't see how anyone in their right mind could get behind this idea. The worst thing that can happen to an upcoming MMO is to be forgotten. Alienating a majority of interested people will cause them to eventually forget about it, because they didn't sign up for the crazy monthly subscription.

Pulled my kickstarter pledge, not like it's gonna get funded anyways. It was a small pledge to begin with.

It's all about building community, and starting that process ASAP, not waiting for the game, etc. The most important thing for the web page right now is to enable people to pledge or re-pledge their money, once the KS campaign is over. Beyond that, the site has a TON of functionality and features to help build community now. If people want to be part of the development process and make sure they're ideas are heard, they can pay to contribute. Every one can read about what's being proposed.

If that runs somebody the wrong way, then they simply shouldn't subscribe. We will still be out there reading boards and posting and such. Nothing there is going to change. But there are things core to the game that we want feedback on, and setting up this portal is a perfect way to do so. It makes sure we don't have so much feedback coming in that it's not trackable. By charging we are making sure people are really serious about wanting to be part of the development process -- we're not kidding about involving people early on. Pantheon has a target audience that is pretty well defined. It's imperative that we make sure at launch that this is the game you guys want. So we need that dialog open with our future players.

Not everyone wants to be involved to that degree, though. Some people just want to read up and stay current on what's being discussed. That's fine. Some people want to have an active role and to contribute a lot. While they can do that here and on other sites to some degree, the most efficient way to do that and to not miss anything is to subscribe and then be very active. This will also, hopefully, weed out the trolls and people who just want attention and who will post any crazy thing to get that attention. We can never stop that, especially on other sites we have no control over, but we can have some control over that on our own site. We can attempt to make the signal to noise ratio there much better. It's not just about paying to post... members can vote ideas up and down, so we can know how other people feel about their ideas, etc.

Some of this may well be unprecedented, but the whole idea behind Pantheon is somewhat unprecedented. I don't see anyone else out there necessarily embracing the 'make a smaller game that appeals to a specific target audience' plan. Hopefully that will change -- I'd love to see a bunch of smaller, focussed MMOs pop up, maybe some focused on PvP and all of its variations... maybe others on RP... etc. We decided the 'niche' we're going after are the people who want the game we also want to make. I think that's very important. We're done working on high $$ MMOs that are trying to appeal to everyone. We are so much more passionate about Pantheon specifically, and I think that will be reflected in the quality of the game and, quite simply, how much fun it is to play. And we know there are quite a few people out there who absolutely want a game like Pantheon. We see this not just in those who have pledged, but by reading the various boards, reading the feedback that comes in from those who have already pledged, by looking at how many people who have popped up and are contributing to the project pro-bono right now, just like the team. And also by the huge amount of coverage we've received from various news sites, be they huge like PC Gamer, or be they smaller sites. We have a pages long list of all of the articles that have been put up talking about Pantheon -- and just regurgitating the press release doesn't put you on the list. If the site took the time to actually write an article about some aspect of Pantheon or Pantheon as a whole, they go on the list, and the list is long. There's a lot of critical mass and forward momentum right now, and we'd be fools not to keep that momentum going by doing everything we can to support and build community, including this web site that's being put together.

My call out to Angel Investors, which I'm told was a 'controversial' move, is already starting to pay off. I'm currently in negotiations with several angel investors as a result of that tweet.

Anyway, get involved to whatever degree you're comfortable with. We hope you pledge. We hope you are able to volunteer services. We hope you'll subscribe to the Think Tank and get into some detailed discussions with us about game features and mechanics. Or, don't do any of that and wait for the game to come out, or enter beta, or something like that, and then get involved if you still like what you see. It's a free world :)

-Brad

Aradune fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 18, 2014

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

Node posted:

That is something we are putting together -- people who have pledged a certain amount will get free access to the Think Tank.

Aradune
Jan 15, 2014

returnh posted:

I hope Brad sticks to his "vision" and ignores the Internet's suggestions, especially the ones in this thread.

This is supposed to be a niche game. I like the death penalty they have planned.

Thanks. The challenge is this: we want to gather feedback, ideas, etc. We have announced quite a bit about the game, but certainly not everything. We're always hesitant to announce something that is not yet set in stone. Part of our responsibility, if we're going to be out here getting the hype going, is that we also manage expectations. I've been guilty myself of announcing game features that then didn't make it into the game (mostly with Vanguard). i wasn't intentionally misleading the public (I've been accused of purposely lying, which is NOT accurate). But I didn't limit my posts about Vanguard to features we KNEW were going to make it in. That we had to ship 6 months early exasberated the situation :(

So while we are out and about, building hype, we also have this responsibility to keep things real. Features and mechanics we are confident will be in the release, no matter what, we're happy to talk about and have been. But I also want to bring up ideas, mechanics, and functionality that isn't yet set in stone. I just have to be careful about that, and up front when something is not set in stone. The Think Tank on our own site (which officially launches Saturday) is a perfect venue for this. I can post all over the place about stuff we're confident about, that we know we want, that we know will make it in for launch. But when it comes to ideas that need to be fleshed out, ideas that definitely warrant feedback and discussion... well, doing that on our own site and charging people for access to that level of dialog I think is the way to go.

And the other things you can do with the site, like creating guilds early, reserving names, posting your own stories and lore... basically being able to contribute to the creative process and to the building of community early on... this is all stuff we can start doing now. We don't need to wait for beta or release with a lot of this stuff. So people who, with the information available, are confident enough that Pantheon will be the game for them, this offers them a way to get involved early on. Will everyone want to do this? Of course not. That said, we've invited over 100 people into the site already, to help us beta test it, to watch server load, etc. And of these 100 people, the vast majority are signing up for the monthly cost of being super involved in the Think Tank and elsewhere. So there are people out there who want to be involved big time, and that's great.

The main thing is that we can bring up an idea, or they can bring up an idea, and then we can discuss it as it relates to the game we've already described publicly. That means people are talking about features within a context, that context being what Pantheon is really all about. We're not going to get a big discussion going about whether there should be a death penalty or not. People already know there is going to be one, and they want to play an MMO with one. The discussion we get is about specifically how that death penalty should work. This is much more useful than debating on some other board about whether we should have one or not, because that decision has already been made.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
What the gently caress are you doing Bradley

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

randombattle posted:

Does the lady on the left have a crossbow attached to her nose or what

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aradune posted:

That is something we are putting together -- people who have pledged a certain amount will get free access to the Think Tank.

You guys need a better think tank if you thought charging a monthly fee to get better forum access was a good idea.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Cool Buff Man posted:

What the gently caress are you doing Bradley

Making you pay for forums accses.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
So essentially Brad wants to outsource game development to people who are paying him and not the other way around. That's smart I guess but as a paying customer you have to be pretty dumb to bite on that hook.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Aradune posted:

Thanks for all the replies to this thread. Will people who pledged on the KS on tiers that were in limited amounts (like the Adviser's, where you name your own item) have that reserved, or carry over to the new fund somehow? Or will it be a fresh start, first come first serve?

If you keep showing you are persevering like you are now, I can only see positive things happening. But, I will put my word in that subscribing to forums access is something that surprised me, and I don't see as a positive. A one time charge, like Something Awful does, or having forums access come with certain pledge amounts, seems more reasonable to me.

Node fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 18, 2014

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Node posted:

Thanks for all the replies to this thread. Will people who pledged on the KS on tiers that were in limited amounts (like the Adviser's, where you name your own item) have that reserved, or carry over to the new fund somehow? Or will it be a fresh start, first come first serve?

If you keep showing you are persevering like you are now, I can only see positive things happening. But, I will put my word in that subscribing to forums access is something that surprised me, and I don't see as a positive. A one time charge, like Something Awful does, or having forums access come with certain pledge amounts, seems more reasonable to me.

You sound like you're coddling a petulant child. The forums idea is one of the worst ideas ever created.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

:lol:
Wow really...

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 18, 2014

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Angel investors and a paid forums full of sycophants. How can this go wrong? :getin:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Aradune posted:

Thanks. The challenge is this: we want to gather feedback, ideas, etc. We have announced quite a bit about the game, but certainly not everything. We're always hesitant to announce something that is not yet set in stone. Part of our responsibility, if we're going to be out here getting the hype going, is that we also manage expectations. I've been guilty myself of announcing game features that then didn't make it into the game (mostly with Vanguard). i wasn't intentionally misleading the public (I've been accused of purposely lying, which is NOT accurate). But I didn't limit my posts about Vanguard to features we KNEW were going to make it in. That we had to ship 6 months early exasberated the situation :(

So while we are out and about, building hype, we also have this responsibility to keep things real. Features and mechanics we are confident will be in the release, no matter what, we're happy to talk about and have been. But I also want to bring up ideas, mechanics, and functionality that isn't yet set in stone. I just have to be careful about that, and up front when something is not set in stone. The Think Tank on our own site (which officially launches Saturday) is a perfect venue for this. I can post all over the place about stuff we're confident about, that we know we want, that we know will make it in for launch. But when it comes to ideas that need to be fleshed out, ideas that definitely warrant feedback and discussion... well, doing that on our own site and charging people for access to that level of dialog I think is the way to go.

And the other things you can do with the site, like creating guilds early, reserving names, posting your own stories and lore... basically being able to contribute to the creative process and to the building of community early on... this is all stuff we can start doing now. We don't need to wait for beta or release with a lot of this stuff. So people who, with the information available, are confident enough that Pantheon will be the game for them, this offers them a way to get involved early on. Will everyone want to do this? Of course not. That said, we've invited over 100 people into the site already, to help us beta test it, to watch server load, etc. And of these 100 people, the vast majority are signing up for the monthly cost of being super involved in the Think Tank and elsewhere. So there are people out there who want to be involved big time, and that's great.

The main thing is that we can bring up an idea, or they can bring up an idea, and then we can discuss it as it relates to the game we've already described publicly. That means people are talking about features within a context, that context being what Pantheon is really all about. We're not going to get a big discussion going about whether there should be a death penalty or not. People already know there is going to be one, and they want to play an MMO with one. The discussion we get is about specifically how that death penalty should work. This is much more useful than debating on some other board about whether we should have one or not, because that decision has already been made.

What the gently caress is this

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Kewpuh posted:

What the gently caress is this

Funniest MMO trainwreck of 2014.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Here's a pretty good idea that I had I know it's probably thinking outside the box but just gonna dump it here

make a game that is fun and post about how progress on that game is coming and when the game is done and it is fun people will play it and shape your community

Here's a pretty bad idea that you typed a shitload of words about

make a community and charge to become part of the community and then focus later on talking about making a game

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I asked questions at the start of Brad regarding what he had done this time to avoid the problems surrounding the development of Vanguard. It appears the answer is 'nothing'. Well done Brad!

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

Here's a pretty good idea that I had I know it's probably thinking outside the box but just gonna dump it here

make a game that is fun and post about how progress on that game is coming and when the game is done and it is fun people will play it and shape your community

Here's a pretty bad idea that you typed a shitload of words about

make a community and charge to become part of the community and then focus later on talking about making a game

It's not like people actually play MMORPG because they're good games, or good, or games.

Space Duck
Oct 15, 2003
Building a community before there's really a product...

It'd be perfect if the forums were running Discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
In before the .99 cents app to customize your guild crest.

• Locked thread