Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Medals are specifically to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
If I haven't played any of the XIII games before, would you guys say it's worth checking it out now if the games are at bargain-bin prices?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

My roommate picked this up and I am really enjoying the flow of the combat system even though I'm not very good at it. After reading the thread it seems like that may just be because I've been staying in the first city to resolve the Shadow Hunter story instead of going out and doing other stuff. My save is directly before the fight with him, am I able to turn around and do it later or am I stuck there? I can't even get him to 50% (although reading general advice in the thread I think I might be able to beat him after a few more tries now).

Also: Should I hang on to all these medals I keep finding or can I just sell them? I assume the monster parts I'm finding I should hang onto since they have come up in quests.

It actually seems like you can do all the main questlines until right before the boss, and then turn around to do other stuff. The Wildlands boss has a way to warp to him once you've gotten there, instead of going through the dungeon again.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Seyser Koze posted:

If I haven't played any of the XIII games before, would you guys say it's worth checking it out now if the games are at bargain-bin prices?

XIII-2 has very good gameplay. Out of all of them, I'd suggest that one since it has a version of the fighting system of the first without the "just walk straight ahead" gameplay of the first one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aphrodite posted:

Medals are specifically to sell.

Awesome, that's a ton of gil I have sitting in my inventory that I can blow on equipment (I will spend it on potions and food because I'm terrible)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

I've heard, "that must be one of the elites!" and, "That's a big sword!" in the cloud outfit.

They even say that sword thing for me while Lightning is wielding an axe. :laugh:

Also Dryads are assholes. There was one left with about half health and it went to summon, I thought it'd be something manageable. Nope, three more loving Dryads and they all had an Aerora circlejerk. Burnt those bastards down one by one though. That was the one fight I had with Dryads, never again. I'll take great pleasure in sending them extinct later.

Actually, how do you know how you've affected the population of a monster? Think it said in the Bestiary, is it the "Distribution" bit?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

McDragon posted:

They even say that sword thing for me while Lightning is wielding an axe. :laugh:

Also Dryads are assholes. There was one left with about half health and it went to summon, I thought it'd be something manageable. Nope, three more loving Dryads and they all had an Aerora circlejerk. Burnt those bastards down one by one though. That was the one fight I had with Dryads, never again. I'll take great pleasure in sending them extinct later.

Actually, how do you know how you've affected the population of a monster? Think it said in the Bestiary, is it the "Distribution" bit?

Yes, as the distribution of a monster gets lower and lower, it will change from Common to Rare. When it switches over to rare, there are only a handful of them left, and the Last One will spawn in a few more kills.

The general breakdown for kills required is:

Large: ~30 kills
Medium: 31-120 (give or take a few kills)
Small: 120-200 kills (they come in large groups though)

There are a few exceptions to this rule. Cactuars only require around 30 kills, the Cactair is the only one of its kind. Chimeras require 15 kills due to where you fight them. You'll be forced into the optional dungeon for Mekonektons, since they require 65535 kills. I mean you could wait until the optional dungeon to kill all the omega monsters (last ones), but it will be their Day 13 version, so it will take a little while, and time continues to flow while in battle. And you cannot use Chronostasis while in that dungeon.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 17, 2014

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So I was struggling with the Dead Dunes main quest and the Earth Eaters. Suddenly I realized I should, you know, actually start using Debuffs since they were easily the strongest parts of XIII and XIII-2. Suddenly things are falling left and right, especially if you practice perfect guards. Finished two main quests in one day.

I've put around 25 hours into the game so far. Really didn't expect it to be this enjoyable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
gently caress this (Wildlands miniboss spoiler)Chaos Chocobo Eater I'm even cheesing it with the thing you get from Snow's boss fight and the Quiet Guardian gear, but it just takes a lot of damage to stagger it, even if you do it during the trigger conditions. I also have no EP because I've been teleporting a lot and skipping fights. :(

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Slowly counting down the clock. Two days until oblivion and I'm now just killing all of the big monsters I have left to complete my few remaining Canvas Quests. Think I just need to focus on Dreadnoughts now... then maybe I'll just focus on summoning Last Ones. Not Earth Eater or Chocobo Eater, though. gently caress those guys.

I've had a Last One reaver running around my Wildlands incessantly for the past two days and haven't really tried it since I beat the Wildlands Bosses. Before that, I just couldn't get him down below 50% because his regen effect is so drat strong. Afraid I may have to cheese it with continuous Overclocks and Army of Ones.

Army of One is so awesomely broken. It's pretty much the only way I got any of the Earth Eater/Chocobo Eater quests finished.

Qwezz posted:

Walking around in the FFX-2 Yuna outfit in Luxerion.

"She must be in the Gullwings"

"Hey, found any spheres lately?"

:allears:

Do other outfits also get unique NPC remarks?

There's a small kiosk in the Armory Alley where you buy the Gift Glasses for a quest that reads, "JECHT'S GOODS." I took a picture and uploaded it in the game, but I have no idea if there's a way to get those images outside of the game.

e: Also, I have to mention how awesome the Purple Lightning Ninja garb is. Flame and Flood are hilarious to use in succession over and over. It makes the entire screen just one gigantic whirlwind of insanity, requiring me to just have situational awareness on the enemy I'm fighting so I know when to guard.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 17, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
In my greed for EP I accidentally hunted a species to extinction.

I don't know how I feel about this.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fedule posted:

Accomplished.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Accomplished.

Exhuberant.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Darko posted:

XIII-2 has very good gameplay. Out of all of them, I'd suggest that one since it has a version of the fighting system of the first without the "just walk straight ahead" gameplay of the first one.

Unfortunately I'm cursed with the inability to start playing a series in the middle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

Unfortunately I'm cursed with the inability to start playing a series in the middle.

Shove a series on Netlfix and skim the subtitles. XIII, as long as you're not a stubborn idiot manbaby like some people I've seen on Youtube and don't insist on manually choosing each attack, isn't that hard or taxing. Tedious at times, yes, but not hard. Especially once you grasp the battle and crafting system.

XIII-2 is much better designed for intermittent, short play sessions, but it does have a weird difficulty spike in the final dungeon. Not the final boss, mind you, just the dungeon.

EDIT: Hmm, another question, similar to the one I posed in the FF megathread... what if I get to day 13/14 (I think the only difference is having enough sidequests to unlock the secret dungeon?) but I don't finish all the main quests. I'm pretty sure I don't have time to do Fang AND Sazh's, because I was dumb and basically didn't touch each area until I was basically done with the last, so I didn't hit the Wildlands until like day 9. Do I still get the ending? Do I get a game over? Is the final boss just harder because I'm 'under-levelled'?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 17, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Shove a series on Netlfix and skim the subtitles. XIII, as long as you're not a stubborn idiot manbaby like some people I've seen on Youtube and don't insist on manually choosing each attack, isn't that hard or taxing. Tedious at times, yes, but not hard. Especially once you grasp the battle and crafting system.

XIII-2 is much better designed for intermittent, short play sessions, but it does have a weird difficulty spike in the final dungeon. Not the final boss, mind you, just the dungeon.

EDIT: Hmm, another question, similar to the one I posed in the FF megathread... what if I get to day 13/14 (I think the only difference is having enough sidequests to unlock the secret dungeon?) but I don't finish all the main quests. I'm pretty sure I don't have time to do Fang AND Sazh's, because I was dumb and basically didn't touch each area until I was basically done with the last, so I didn't hit the Wildlands until like day 9. Do I still get the ending? Do I get a game over? Is the final boss just harder because I'm 'under-levelled'?

If you fail to complete all the main story quests, you get a "game over" when time runs out, and you're sent back to the first day with all your stuff to try again. Getting to the secret dungeon is impossible without completing all the main story quests anyways. It appears only on the final bonus day.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

Systematic System posted:

If you fail to complete all the main story quests, you get a "game over" when time runs out, and you're sent back to the first day with all your stuff to try again.

Do all the quests reset?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Fedule posted:

Yeah, in order to skate through Luxerion without losing a day I killed a lot of the dog things on that long causeway on the southeast of the map. You can kill them slightly faster than you use up their EP so they were good for building up my EP bar before the end. Triggered the final boss fight at 05:55; 100 dog things died to get me there. Oddly still says they're 'common'.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo gently caress the last boss.
e: What is going on??????

Squallege fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 18, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Gaz-L posted:

Basically this. You can autopilot a lot of the first game with COM/COM/RAV (or RAV/RAV/COM) and if there's anything you don't understand (which will be a lot, since most of the story is hidden in the datalog), look for a story or plot guide. The ending will make little sense without one ([spoiler]other than boiling down to 'deus ex machina out of loving nowhere'[spoiler]), to the point where a few bits of XIII-2 are dedicated to explaining what the hell actually happened.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

You can do both of those quests in one day, unless you've already wiped out so many of the big monsters in the Dead Dunes that you can't keep Chronostasis running. If you're actually stuck, you'll get a game over when time runs out, but you can carry your work over into a new game and blast through everything again.

You'd want to hit the objectives in this order to do both quests:
Before 6PM: (while the 2EP monsters are active in the Dunes)
- Activate Sazh's quest in the Wildlands
- Activate Fang's quest in the Dunes to get her in your party
- ** Start spamming the heck out of Chronostasis **
- Pretty much do Fang's entire quest (the timed doors gimmick is incredibly silly, you'll need to advance 1 or maybe 2 hours but you can just walk around most of them)
- While you're going around collecting tablets, stop by the lighthouse to kill the Cactair
- ** Stop spamming the heck out of Chronostasis **
- Pick up Chocolina's whatever from the road all the way to the south of the Wildlands

After 7PM: (when your last destinations open up for business)
- Go to the Moogle Village (in the woods, through the vines that only open at 7PM) and do the initial sidequest for a moogle thing
- Go to Yusnaan, give Chocolina her whatever and give the seed hunter the moogle thing
- Fight at the Slaughterhouse (open 7PM to 3AM)
- Go back to Sazh

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 18, 2014

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Picked up the Collector's Edition of the guide and I'm liking it. It's nice to be able to put markers on the in-game map with all the spots you need to go to for certain quests. I got confused and thought the CE of the guide gave you the Aeris outfit, but turns out it's the CE of the game itself. The Art of War items is pretty good though. I have a 360 code for whoever grabs it first:

Claimed

Still liking the game, just need to stop watching people faceplant in the Olympics and play it more.

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 18, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Herr Direktor posted:

Do all the quests reset?

In a new game+ (either from failing, or beating the game) all quests reset, but if you beat the quest in a previous playthrough, the rewards change (generally that means more gil, less stat rewards).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Static Rook posted:

Picked up the Collector's Edition of the guide and I'm liking it. It's nice to be able to put markers on the in-game map with all the spots you need to go to for certain quests.

Being able to drop markers is nice, but what would be nicer is if the game would just mark certain things on the map for you, especially in instances where you're dealing with known locations and people.

Better waypointing in general is something I think this game could really have done with; it's getting really annoying having to look up stuff in a guide because gently caress looking around the whole of a place for a person when they might not even be there until another time.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Static Rook posted:

Picked up the Collector's Edition of the guide and I'm liking it. It's nice to be able to put markers on the in-game map with all the spots you need to go to for certain quests. I got confused and thought the CE of the guide gave you the Aeris outfit, but turns out it's the CE of the game itself. The Art of War items is pretty good though. I have a 360 code for whoever grabs it first:

WVCWY-9T329-2K377-RJ2WG-JDCDZ

Still liking the game, just need to stop watching people faceplant in the Olympics and play it more.

Nice, I just claimed this for my self. Thanks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tempo 119 posted:

You can do both of those quests in one day, unless you've already wiped out so many of the big monsters in the Dead Dunes that you can't keep Chronostasis running. If you're actually stuck, you'll get a game over when time runs out, but you can carry your work over into a new game and blast through everything again.

You'd want to hit the objectives in this order to do both quests:
Before 6PM: (while the 2EP monsters are active in the Dunes)
- Activate Sazh's quest in the Wildlands
- Activate Fang's quest in the Dunes to get her in your party
- ** Start spamming the heck out of Chronostasis **
- Pretty much do Fang's entire quest (the timed doors gimmick is incredibly silly, you'll need to advance 1 or maybe 2 hours but you can just walk around most of them)
- While you're going around collecting tablets, stop by the lighthouse to kill the Cactair
- ** Stop spamming the heck out of Chronostasis **
- Pick up Chocolina's whatever from the road all the way to the south of the Wildlands

After 7PM: (when your last destinations open up for business)
- Go to the Moogle Village (in the woods, through the vines that only open at 7PM) and do the initial sidequest for a moogle thing
- Go to Yusnaan, give Chocolina her whatever and give the seed hunter the moogle thing
- Fight at the Slaughterhouse (open 7PM to 3AM)
- Go back to Sazh

Honestly, I think part of it is that I enjoy the combat, but not enough to consider it worth the amount of battling you need to do to spam Chronostasis. Rare exceptions aside, the only reliable way to do it is to fight enemies that are basically minibosses, and if you're playing on Normal, that's risky, especially if you're specced for random trash, and get blindsided by one spawning on top of you. If stasis lasted about twice as long as it does, it'd be REALLY useful, rather than feeling occasionally useful. Plus it's not exactly helpful in a semi-maze area like the dungeon in the Dunes, as you end up completely forgetting which way you meant to be going. A waypoint system like in Dead Space or Bioshock Infinite would've been really helpful. Being able to mark the in-game map is cool, but you sorely need something more specific than a direction.

Basically, I gave up, and hopefully I'll be able to power through the main quests and mandatory side-quests, and do all the side stuff at the end.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Keep in mind, as the days progress, monsters get stronger (specifically on Day 7, Day 12, and Day 13). So if there are any sidequests that require you to fight very difficult enemies (say Earth Eaters), it might be a good idea to knock those out earlier.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Hah, just got a good exchange during "The Saint's Stone."

Warehouse Worker: "I'd open these crates, but you would have to smash them open, haha!"

Lightning: "I can handle that."

Warehouse Worker: "Wait, you're joking, right?"

Lightning: "No, not really."

Snarky Lightning's pretty great.

D'aw, and Hope's pretty happy about seeing Vanille again. :3:

EDIT 2: As out of nowhere Vanille's new power was, her story's pretty depressing. Thousands of years later, and she still carries her guilt. :smith:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 18, 2014

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PunkBoy posted:

Warehouse Worker: "I'd open these crates, but you would have to smash them open, haha!"

I also like the information box that pops up too. [Smash the boxes]

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Getting fireworks from the chocobo ladies in Yusnaan was pretty great too, with Lightning absolutely hating having to say the special phrase and rushing through it as fast as possible while Hope and the chocobo ladies make fun of her. Also her completely flat delivery of the line from the play when you just get the dress. I can't wait to get to the moogle portion if it's as great as everyone is saying.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 18, 2014

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

McDragon posted:

That was the one fight I had with Dryads, never again. I'll take great pleasure in sending them extinct later.

The best moment of the entire game for me was seeing that hot pink dryad and firaga-ing the hell out of it. The only enemies I hated more were Earth Eaters.

Just finished this up today, and I had a blast. I really thought that time needed to be managed better than it actually did. By the end of the 6th day, I had completed all the main quests and something like 57 side quests (plus however many board quests), so I just said gently caress it and slept until the 13th day so I could do the bonus dungeon.

I played on normal, and found few parts difficult. Likely, this is because of the Yuna DLC outfit which has a ridiculously, ridiculously overpowered magic attack. I used that costume in one of my schemas for the entirety of the game, nothing else even comes close. Another slot had the Cloud outfit for the whole game for Slayer, and the third one was defensive play with debuff spells attached to it. Starting a fight, debuffing, then unleashing three Elementas in a row takes down pretty much anything medium or smaller instantly.

Holding off on the NG+ for now, though. Too many new JRPGs coming over the next few months, don't want to burn out early.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah, I don't see myself moving the Cloud and Yuna garb out of my main 3 any time soon. Whenever I fight something new I throw out an Elementa to find out its weakness...and then it's usually half dead anyway. Then comes the staggering and the slayering.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I checked out of the Cloud suit around the fifth attempt on Caius The suit works pretty well as a substitute.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Just finished this up today, and I had a blast. I really thought that time needed to be managed better than it actually did. By the end of the 6th day, I had completed all the main quests and something like 57 side quests (plus however many board quests), so I just said gently caress it and slept until the 13th day so I could do the bonus dungeon.

Yeah, I really think the erred a bit too much on the side of caution. I can understand why considering how worried people got about the time limit but they went too far in the opposite direction and you just had too much time. If I ever replayed the game I might try to see how far I can get without Chronostasis.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

DarkstarIV posted:

Well then you'll like the weapons that drop from the Last Ones. They are hot pink. :v:

Holy gently caress you were serious.

Why?

I mean actually what is it with Last Ones and hot pink? I get that you want a warning when you see them on the field so you'll know to get ready for poo poo going down but why did they have to colour their entire models hot pink?! Why?

Now I have to recolour all my outfits so that they don't look ridiculous with hot pink weaponry.

I love this game.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Oh my loving god how am I supposed to beat Omega Chocobo Eater and Omega Earth Eater? Trying Earth Eater now, and only Heavy Slash and Flame do anything above 1 damage, even when the jerk is staggered. I've also tried setting up Galestrike, which does more than`1 damage, but still pretty low- Aerora 3+ and Aeroga 4 don't do anymore than 1 damage either. WHAT IS THIS :psyboom:

Seriously, I hate these loving mobs. I can kill the regulars without issue now, and didn't even have a problem with Cyclops or Zomok or Zaltys. I don't even see a possible way to cheese them when Overclocked and Army of One barely do anything. I've come so far... :smithicide: I can't bow down yet, I just can't

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I really think the erred a bit too much on the side of caution. I can understand why considering how worried people got about the time limit but they went too far in the opposite direction and you just had too much time. If I ever replayed the game I might try to see how far I can get without Chronostasis.

I managed to get all the main quests (just barely beat Sazh's since I found him on like, the second to last day at midnight) and at least enough side quests and canvas quests to get the trophies without using Chronostasis. But man it was a close call on the main quests.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Fedule posted:

Holy gently caress you were serious.

Why?

I mean actually what is it with Last Ones and hot pink? I get that you want a warning when you see them on the field so you'll know to get ready for poo poo going down but why did they have to colour their entire models hot pink?! Why?

Now I have to recolour all my outfits so that they don't look ridiculous with hot pink weaponry.

I love this game.

If you weren't colouring your outfits hot pink to begin with, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So lets talk about the Rare Forge and how dumb it is. I am missing two garbs from it. Astral Lord and Carnaval Crusher. The dude is hard as hell to track down (he changes locations every IN GAME HOUR), and doesn't stick out too much. I have to 100% this game and until I get those two costumes I will be mad as heck. Not that I'll be able to afford the Astral Lord costume any time soon (500,000 gil).

Before anyone asks, the Astral Lord costume isn't very good. It comes with the level 3 version of chill, flare, surge, and tornado already equipped on it. Which sounds cool as hell, until you learn those spells aren't very good unless your HP is very low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I just played the demo and I thought it was silly (The beginning scene where she's on that tower and she says something clever and she does a quick 180 and she's wearing a pair of dumb silly glasses had my eyes roll so hard I saw my own brain stem) and I didn't understand any of it (even though I played 13 and 13-2) so my question is if you think 13-2 is "fun enough" would you suppose 13-3 would be "fun enough" for about 30 bucks?

Also I played this sober. What drugs are you guys taking to understand the plot (and how much should I take)?

• Locked thread