Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Between True Detective and Hannibal, ponderously dull thrillers seem to be the big thing nowadays. I saw the first episode of True Dick the other day and I kept asking myself "why do people like this boring mess?" Nothing was happening, there was no plot and the characters showed no emotion except 'abject boredom.'

And for god's sake, someone throw a pie or something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Irish Joe posted:

Between True Detective and Hannibal, ponderously dull thrillers seem to be the big thing nowadays. I saw the first episode of True Dick the other day and I kept asking myself "why do people like this boring mess?" Nothing was happening, there was no plot and the characters showed no emotion except 'abject boredom.'

Works for me on the basis of life itself being ponderously boring. The basis of empathy is shared experience and contrast makes things stand out, accordingly, I can connect with the material more easily and the effect of any drama or events is heightened.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Because I post here so goddamn much, I like to think people here might have an idea of the type of TV I like. If any of those people found any of my previous recommendations were any good...then please listen to what I have to say next.

True Detective. Get on it. As soon as possible.

gently caress, I'm so psyched to see something like that on TV.

EDIT: I like to think that Mcconaughey's character is based off his character from Killer Joe.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 17, 2014

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I was hesitant about True Detective (all the ads made it look like "if you work a dark case the darkness will get to YOU" cliche), but drat if I'm not impressed after the first three episodes, and from what I hear episodes 4 and 5 are brilliant.

With this, House of Cards, and Hannibal to watch, I'm watching some drat good TV recently.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And all middle aged white males. Let's get some loving variety and not terrible poo poo like Weeds.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think the show does such a good job of skewering the type of hero characters we'd normally see in a murder mystery cop show that I didn't even think about the white male heterosexual angle, other than how ordinarily ludicrious it is. I can see how the creator isn't a fan of serial killer media, and using it as an excuse to delve into something much more wider and more interesting. Something shared by all of my favorite noir movies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

And all middle aged white males. Let's get some loving variety and not terrible poo poo like Weeds.

House of Cards season 2 has a lot of plot that is about middle aged white women. :v:

Chamberk posted:

I was hesitant about True Detective (all the ads made it look like "if you work a dark case the darkness will get to YOU" cliche), but drat if I'm not impressed after the first three episodes, and from what I hear episodes 4 and 5 are brilliant.

Yeah, if you like the first three you're set. I personally thought episode 3 was the weakest so far, 4 and 5 are amazing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you don't know who Andy Daly is by name, you might know him as the principal of the high school in the first season (and recurring afterwards) of East Bound and Down. He's also been a staple part of the Comedy Bang Bang podcast for a few years and has put out easily the best new podcast. Now his Comedy Central show is finally, finally here and its loving amazing.

http://www.comedycentral.com/episodes/coh418/review-stealing--addiction--prom-season-1-ep-101

So if you like good stuff, watch this show. Then review it!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Four and a half stars!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
http://www.tmz.com/2014/02/16/snake-salvation-pastor-jamie-coots-dead-dies-nat-geo/

Insert Boyd Crowder joke here:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Bill Murray, Matt Damon, and Hugh Bonneville were on The Graham Norton Show on Friday and I think it might be the best chat show episode ever.

Skip the first four minutes of awful intro/monologue bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98cSOzf6350

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Bill Murray, Matt Damon, and Hugh Bonneville were on The Graham Norton Show on Friday and I think it might be the best chat show episode ever.

Skip the first four minutes of awful intro/monologue bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98cSOzf6350

This is genuinely fantastic since they're all getting sloshed while hanging out.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

This is genuinely fantastic since they're all getting sloshed while hanging out.

Any episode where a guest gets a little too drunk is amazing. See: the one where Mark Wahlberg had way too much wine and challenged Michael Fassbender to a dick measuring contest.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Echoing the sentiments that it's a terrific piece of television and that Graham Norton's monologue is consistently excruciatingly unfunny.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The whole idea of the monologue is a dreadful albatross around the neck of chat shows. I'm tuning in for the interaction of the guests and host, gently caress off with your badly written stand-up poo poo.

Parkinson never needed a loving monologue.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I didn't even realise Graham Norton still did stuff. I haven't watched his show in 15 years.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Do talk shows have warm-up guys? I've always thought of the monologue as the warm-up portion to the parts of a talk show that people actually want to watch. Of course, there's a reason you don't see the warm-up guy on most TV shows.

Rarity posted:

I didn't even realise Graham Norton still did stuff. I haven't watched his show in 15 years.

They've reaired his show on BBC America for at least 6 or 7 years now. It's the only one I ever bother watching besides Craig Ferguson (if I'm up that late), probably helps that it only comes on once a week.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That was super funny! Further solidifying the fact that Bill Murray is the greatest person ever, Matt Damon being witty as gently caress, and the English guy being maybe the funniest guy there and a great sport. Having three guests interacting among themselves is a really great idea. Also the champagne.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

raditts posted:

Do talk shows have warm-up guys? I've always thought of the monologue as the warm-up portion to the parts of a talk show that people actually want to watch. Of course, there's a reason you don't see the warm-up guy on most TV shows.

They usually do I think. I know Paul Mecurio is The Daily Show's warm up comic.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rarity posted:

Norton got moved to BBC1 to take over the all important flagship chat slot when Jonathan Ross was lynched by the Daily Mail in their ongoing one-sided war with the BBC for lebensraum.

Shageletic posted:

Having three guests interacting among themselves is a really great idea. Also the champagne.

It really helps when they have a duff guest as well, be they too boring or too up themselves. The other guests take some of the load and usually save what in the normal one-to-tone format would be a disaster.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 18, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

soapgish posted:

Four and a half stars!

That's 9 times as good as a prom! Wow!

Thread for Comedy Central as a whole, but currently focussing on Review - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609572

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, they really should have pulled an Elementary and have Octavia Spencer play Hannibal.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

McConaughey and Harrelson are a loving dream team, oh my god. I want to hug the casting director of this show.

I think it is pretty naive to think that a casting director played any role of importance to get two A-level Hollywood stars of this calibre to take a role in a television show at this point in their careers. The network likely wooed them relentlessly and they decided to take it for the prestige. Casting directors don't really factor into the equation at that level, it's not like HBO would need to be convinced or have trouble imagining them for the roles, or would even consider turning names like these down. It's not even really comparable to Buscemi in BE, for instance.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 18, 2014

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

raditts posted:

I know Jimmy Pardo is Conan's warm-up guy. I assumed all the other shows had one too, based on that.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

So I just finished Season 1 of Spartacus and the finale was one of the most fulfilling hours of television I have ever seen. Do I have just as much awesomeness to look forward to in the next seasons?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cael posted:

So I just finished Season 1 of Spartacus and the finale was one of the most fulfilling hours of television I have ever seen. Do I have just as much awesomeness to look forward to in the next seasons?

The prequel is pretty awesome, and so is the third and forth seasons. However, it takes a while for the new Spartacus to find his grove, but once he does he is really good.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Cael posted:

No

I lied, it's yes

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Cael posted:

You do, yes.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Cael posted:

Yes. I think there are at least 4 other episodes of Spartacus as amazing as the season 1 finale for you to see, and the rest are great too.

especially the destruction of the arena in the middle of season 2, holy poo poo. i also cheered at the death of ashur and cried at end of the season 3 finale

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Not a Twat posted:

Yes. I think there are at least 4 other episodes of Spartacus as amazing as the season 1 finale for you to see.

especially the destruction of the arena in the middle of season 2, holy poo poo. i also cheered at the death of ashur and cried at end of the season 3 finale

You are forgetting the prequel which introduces an important character.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Tears sprung from my eyes and a joyful shout escaped my lips at the Spartacus season 3 finale

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

bobkatt013 posted:

You are forgetting the prequel which introduces an important character.

I could never forget the prequel

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you don't know who Andy Daly is by name, you might know him as the principal of the high school in the first season (and recurring afterwards) of East Bound and Down. He's also been a staple part of the Comedy Bang Bang podcast for a few years and has put out easily the best new podcast. Now his Comedy Central show is finally, finally here and its loving amazing.

http://www.comedycentral.com/episodes/coh418/review-stealing--addiction--prom-season-1-ep-101

So if you like good stuff, watch this show. Then review it!

Oh so it's just Andy Daly doing weird Andy Daly characters in a TV show?

..... So it's the best show on television since Drunk History

★★★★★

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

xbilkis posted:

I know Jimmy Pardo is Conan's warm-up guy. I assumed all the other shows had one too, based on that.

Ferguson has one (whom he constantly mocks). If The Late Late Show is paying a warm-up guy, it's a solid bet that everyone is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If I found the first episode of Masters of Sex kind of boring, does it get significantly better? I mean, the premise is interesting and all, it just... didn't really grab me.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The True Detective thread must have the largest 'number of after show posts':'number of live posts' ratio ever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, too bad they're all secret mystery posts as everyone tries to suss out whats REALLY going on.

TVIV threads focus waaay to much on plot speculation and not nearly enough, you know, talking about the show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's because too many people get off on "calling it" when poo poo happens.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I finished the first season of Fringe, and frankly, I don't feel compelled to click "next episode" and start Season 2.

I'm gonna work on True Detective, I guess.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

escape artist posted:

I finished the first season of Fringe, and frankly, I don't feel compelled to click "next episode" and start Season 2.

Can't blame you there. Fringe has its good points, but its not a 'fun' show. I can't imagine marathoning it and not becoming fatigued every few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

escape artist posted:

I'm gonna work on True Detective, I guess.

When you do start season 2 just a head's up that they kind of take a couple of episodes to get their footing back. There's a weird thing where they introduce a new FBI agent, give her a story hook and then unceremoniously drop her. Its probably for the best because if she had stayed on Fringe then Meghan Markle probably wouldn't have been cast on Suits, which is a much better fit for her.

• Locked thread