Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'm making a small art present for Valentine's day - its a poster frame (stiff card backing, paper glued to it with PVA, then sprayed red) lined with coins with some taken out to make a red heart (see picture).

I've got the configuration right "dry", but I just need to work out the appropriate glue to use before I get down to it. Super glue? Wood glue? My gut says superglue should be fine, but I wanted to ask just in case I'm missing something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tc1992
Feb 21, 2011
Thanks Dave

I had a look at this, the options given are Bitmap, Grayscale, Indexed colour, and RGB colour
but nothing for CMYK color.

Any ideas?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

tc1992 posted:

Thanks Dave

I had a look at this, the options given are Bitmap, Grayscale, Indexed colour, and RGB colour
but nothing for CMYK color.

Any ideas?

According to Wikipedia you might be boned:

quote:

For example, Photoshop Elements cannot export files in the CMYK color mode, supports a simplified color management system, and excludes detailed soft-proofing.

A business card really shouldn't be designed in Photoshop anyways imo. InDesign or Illustrator are more appropriate for the task. At the end of the day you might be better off either using some online business card tool or hiring a designer to make one for you. Both are potentially cheaper than buying new software.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Is there a brush stabilization option in Photoshop? Like the one available in Manga Studio.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Koramei posted:

Is there a brush stabilization option in Photoshop? Like the one available in Manga Studio.

http://lazynezumi.com/home

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

This seems perhaps the right general area to ask, but do we have a thread somewhere around here for stargazing/astronomy/lookin-at-stuff-with-a-telescope?
Not entirely creative, but I figure I'd have more luck here than GBS.

Welp, I feel stupid now, first page in the Hobby sub-section.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 9, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Does anyone know of a 2mm lead holder / clutch pencil with a built-in eraser? I'd love to have the variety of leads available for them, but not being able to just flip it over for a rubber is a deal-breaker for me.

I've had a look, but they all seem to have built-in sharpeners rather than rubbers.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Anything that won't set me back $30? :shobon:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm gifting a thing that is finished white ceramic, and I think it'd be fun to personalize it with a design that I've used before that has to do with me and my girlfriend (it's her birthday, so this technically isn't a valentines post :smugdog:)

It looks like this:

(It's a pour-over coffee dripper)

So my question is, what are my options for a paint/dye/marker that will (1) adhere to the surface and stay through washings, and (2) not be poison? Is glaze my only option? Or is there some kind of paint that would be okay?

I have a stencil already that I've used before to spraypaint this design onto other things, so if anything is spray-applicable, that's bonus points, but I'm guessing spray-applicable ain't gonna happen.

Also, I'd probably be decorating the outside instead of the inside, so it doesn't have to be super duper food-safe (the outside should ideally never touch the drink), but on the other hand, it'll be washed and anyway I don't want toxic paint flaking off into a cup of coffee.

As a last resort, I was thinking of using a china marker and just accepting that it won't survive one washing.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Has anyone written up what can/can't be uninstalled from Adobe Master Collection CS 5.5? I bought it a while back and I am endlessly irritated by the amount of adobe bloatware running in the background, but I don't want to completely remove it for fear of breaking anything I actually use.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

What's there in the way of adjustable artist easels that are sub-$100? I am just a poor college student who still needs to buy a set of tires for my car so I can't go all out on this but it's something that I greatly desire and it would help me out a bit. Honestly it doesn't even need to be fully-adjustable, just able to have the tray moved up and down and it stands sturdy.

tc1992
Feb 21, 2011
I think you're right, Kedo.
Nevermind.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Every time I open Illustrator CC, I have to manually open up the Pantone Solid Coated color book. Is there a way to make Illustrator always open with that color book open? I'm using Mavericks.

edit: Aaaaand never mind! I figured it out: after you open the color book, go to the book panel's options menu and select "persistent." That's it. You can also select the different view options for the color book there...swatch size, etc.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 16, 2014

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...
My tablet is no longer responding correctly to the pen. The light goes on and it can move the cursor, but whenever I go to click something, it does nothing. It won't let me click anything. I tried reinstalling the drivers; no dice.

I can't tell if something's wrong with the pen, the tablet, or something else entirely. This tablet isn't even a month old, it shouldn't be crapping out on me. :( Any advice or help?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Contact the manufacturer and get a replacement.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats the brand? Not much else you can try except removing the nib and giving the nib hole a nice blast of air or whatever.

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...
It's a Huion. I bought it because it's reasonably priced and has a lot of glowing reviews. It was working great until just yesterday...I don't know what happened.

Darn. I'll contact them tomorrow, maybe they can figure out what's wrong. If all else fails, I'll order a replacement. Thanks guys.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
Here's a stupid question about the forum: if I want to post the articles I write for my school newspaper, what would be the appropriate place for that? My first thought was the fiction thread but obviously my work isn't fiction. Would it be best to just start my own thread, or is this the completely wrong forum in general?

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
I am looking to host my paintings on a website like artspan or artpal, but there are a lot of options out there and I don't know which is the best for the price.

I like the idea of artpal, in which they handle the prints themselves, all I'd have to do is just post the image, but I don't know what sort of quality they are in real life. Are there other sites that handle the backend like that as well?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Question here, centered on photography but extending beyond it.

I've been with my local animal shelter for years, and accumulated a catalogue of 2000 keeper images of cute animals (dogs, cats, birds, rodents), and was trying to think of applications for that huge a collection of images, some kind of neat personal project, or something that could benefit the shelter. They're open to ideas in their space or at events, or doing something on-line, but we're wondering if there's better things than just publishing a calendar or whatever, and I thought this group would be coming from a different place than my experience limits me to.

Thanks!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

If have the permission(s) to, maybe upload them to a stock site and turn the aggregate earnings into donated funds for the shelter? It's less sexy an undertaking, but it may turn into a decent enough source of unanticipated help over time.

PantyCrickets
Oct 18, 2011
Im not sure where to ask this other than here:

After having to vectorize a lot of old art for a project im pretty down to cleanly turn logos, text, cartoon images etc for people into vector images and format them for printing and web in my free time.

I see some companies online asking for around 30$ to do this.

What is a fair price to ask for this?
I think I would be willing to do simple logos for as low as 10.
Is this something I should advertise in SA-mart? Would goons want this service?
Should I do some things for free for goons to show as samples?

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
I hope this is the right thread for this:

I'm looking for an audio recorded I can use for standup. Like, put it on the stool next to me then easily rip it to my computer. I'm not too concerned about high quality audio, just enough to get a listen to my delivery and hear if the audience laughed or not (spoiler: they didn't).

On a similar note, I'm also looking for a cheapish video camera for the same reason. Apparently you can apply for stand up jobs with a video, and I'm figuring an iPhone vid is going to be less than professional. I looked around CC for a good beginners video camera, but no such luck. I'd be willing to drop a couple hundred dollars, more if that's what it takes to beat out an iPhone.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I have a few videos that I need to cut up into smaller clips that are saved individually and separately. I tried using Windows Media Maker, but that appears to only allow you to split and move stuff around WITHIN the project - it only outputs a single video at the end. How can I do what I need to?

Bonus points if the software can add captions, but this isn't a requirement.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I noticed there's a "share your portfolio site" thread in the Photography subforum. Think there'd be interest in a more general one, for us graphic designers/artists? Or is there one already and I missed it?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

triplexpac posted:

I noticed there's a "share your portfolio site" thread in the Photography subforum. Think there'd be interest in a more general one, for us graphic designers/artists? Or is there one already and I missed it?

I think that's a great idea! I'm not sure if there's already a thread for that either, but there should be.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

PantyCrickets posted:

Im not sure where to ask this other than here:

After having to vectorize a lot of old art for a project im pretty down to cleanly turn logos, text, cartoon images etc for people into vector images and format them for printing and web in my free time.

I see some companies online asking for around 30$ to do this.

What is a fair price to ask for this?
I think I would be willing to do simple logos for as low as 10.
Is this something I should advertise in SA-mart? Would goons want this service?
Should I do some things for free for goons to show as samples?

As a small business owner, I can tell you: charge market value for your services. You can charge a little less if you're wanting to acquire customers for the first time, but so long as you're providing the same level of service and professionalism as everyone else, charge about what they're charging.

Don't feel like you're gouging customers because you're charging "more than the work is worth." The market determines what the work is worth, and it sounds like LIVE TRACE -> EXPAND -> cleanup is worth about $30.

I can't talk about SA-mart because I don't know any thing about it, but samples of your work are great marketing tools, and if you're in the creative arts, it's a must. They should be front page, above the fold on your website.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
When using acrylics with a thin (but supposedly opaque) pigment, is there a trick to getting solid and smooth layer down? Or is it just layer upon layer of thin wash until it builds up, and you're ready to denounce humanity and become a hermit in Alaska?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I'd like to draw like Phil Postma someday. Is there a name for that 50s retro animation style? It reminds me of Underdog or Rocky & Bullwinkle, the sort of exaggerated, distorted forms you'd see in low-budget cartoons or cereal boxes that influenced Bakshi and John K. Besides Preston Blair's book, can anyone suggest things I could read or artists/cartoons I could study to get this style under my fingers?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Luegene Cards posted:

I hope this is the right thread for this:

I'm looking for an audio recorded I can use for standup. Like, put it on the stool next to me then easily rip it to my computer. I'm not too concerned about high quality audio, just enough to get a listen to my delivery and hear if the audience laughed or not (spoiler: they didn't).

Somebody might be able to recommend something cheaper, but I recommend the Zoom H1. Records to microsd, but will connect to a computer by usb cable to either mount the card or connect as an audio interface (record directly into something like Audacity if you want). Nice built-in stereo microphones, good battery life, easy to use.

I have a question of my own - I recently had the goons at Robinson Laser cut me some guitar picks out of high strength steel. I can't really use them until I bevel the edges, but I'm not sure what the best way is to do that. What kind of equipment would I need, or should I look for a local joint (and if so, what kind of machine shop)? Thanks.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So my friend got a coffee cup autographed for me (it was the only thing around). Is there something I can spray on the cup to protect the marker so it doesn't wipe off?

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

Hey folks. I was wondering if anyone knew what program/method you'd use to make textures similar to the ones below. disregard the colorful sparkly poo poo in the bottom part, I just want to know how to make the thin wispy plasma looking stuff. I wager some sort of fractal program? Thanks!

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

Oops perhaps I should include the file.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Looks like electric sheep

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Has anyone used https://artistsnclients.com/ before? I need to start up doing comissions and the site seems like it would be really convenient but I've never heard of it until today.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Does anyone know a smart way to print out a long small booklet with 160 small A7 sized pages onto 20 A4 sized sheets out of Indesign or Acrobat? I'd like to avoid having to sort them so best case would be printing them out of order so the actual order is on top of eachother in 8 blocks of 20 pages, like so

grimjuk
Aug 6, 2010

Greetings, artistic goons. Where would be the best place to find someone to draw a tattoo design I've had in my mind for a while now? I've had a quick look through CC, but didn't see a commission thread.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
As long as it is not spec work just post a thread in SA Mart and link it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

grimjuk posted:

Greetings, artistic goons. Where would be the best place to find someone to draw a tattoo design I've had in my mind for a while now? I've had a quick look through CC, but didn't see a commission thread.

Find a tattoo artist whose style you like, tell them your design concept, and let them do it. The work will be better as the artist will actually have an investment in the piece instead of being a glorified printer, and you'll get something unique in a style you like. Tattoo artist =/= tattoo machine operator.

If you want to find artist recommendations in your area, take a look in the tattoo megathread or ask for recs there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimjuk
Aug 6, 2010

Travakian posted:

Find a tattoo artist whose style you like, tell them your design concept, and let them do it. The work will be better as the artist will actually have an investment in the piece instead of being a glorified printer, and you'll get something unique in a style you like. Tattoo artist =/= tattoo machine operator.

If you want to find artist recommendations in your area, take a look in the tattoo megathread or ask for recs there.

Thanks man, that's probably a better idea. I'd ask in the tattoo megathread, but I've never seen someone post where I'm from. :(