Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

poo poo like that only happens because someone somewhere refused to turn around to her and say "You know email, that tool that we provide you with? loving check it." and then hold her to account for not doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Aye - and in our case, when the person responsible for client contact couldn't be bothered to go through this bullshit, he would just send emails without calling. Of course there were situations when imminent decision was to be made and he had to have it in writing (and I assume that she wanted to keep track of what she was agreeing to as well). It's still absurd, but such people do exist.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sirotan from 5 days ago posted:

Good news everyone! Dell has found a supply of internal power cables, and our servers are going into production. They should be here by the middle of next week!

Yes I swear to god, that is what we have been told verbatim by our Dell rep.

Aaaand now our Dell rep just informed us of ANOTHER parts shortage. This time it's a Broadcom daughterboard. Servers have been delayed again, this time there is no ETA given.

:mad:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The office is closed today so it gave me the chance to come in and do the first part of my project to clean up the server rack cabling. It's easy to tell which side I did this morning.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Panduit racks own bones. Pricey but so worth it.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
why aren't you using the little cable channels above each rack space?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
She loving did it again. "I just need one more thing.." And of course, she's taking tomorrow off, which just leaves us Wednesday to unfuck things for a Thursday deadline.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZetsurinPower posted:

why aren't you using the little cable channels above each rack space?

Since that's what he did on the left side, I'm assuming it's a matter of needing to have a window when he can unplug everything.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
no I mean like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I didn't even notice those. Guess I'll be going back to work!

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
You can do that part pretty quickly, don't even need to unplug anything. you'll have a much easier time finding specific ports! you are doing the lords work.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Then you can get the covers like the top right one and cover it all up :D

I'm supposed to provide a plan to a PM of a company we are taking over from of how I am going to fix the patching mess I've inherited...

The official answer is eventually when my company start phasing in our computers your engineers remove yours (we end up sharing but a lot more of our PCs than theirs) They will take their patch leads with them leaving a lot fewer 3m patch leads that should be 0.33m

As I'm a nice guy when I will sort out any remaining poo poo your boys have left behind so all my cabs are pretty and properly colour coded to your specification that you haven't followed in any of the 38 cabs on site!!

Not sure how to fit that into Project though!

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Sirotan posted:

Aaaand now our Dell rep just informed us of ANOTHER parts shortage. This time it's a Broadcom daughterboard. Servers have been delayed again, this time there is no ETA given.

:mad:

"How about you upgrade us to the Intel Daughterboard for our troubles?"

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Since when have the NICs on modern servers been located on any sort of daughterboard?

If you've ordered it with additional PCI NICs, ask them to ship the servers without and you'll fit them yourself when it's available?

Things that have pissed me off in the past: Ordering a server via internal purchasing and having it turn up with random additional cards that I don't need (e.g. fibre channel card and extra 4-port NIC in a print server for 200 users, in 2001), waste of money.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
All my servers came with SAS cards, when I spoke to our ordering person I stated which specific server needed the card

The tape drive also came with a SAS card and cable!

All Dell gear too funnily enough...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lum posted:

Since when have the NICs on modern servers been located on any sort of daughterboard?

If you've ordered it with additional PCI NICs, ask them to ship the servers without and you'll fit them yourself when it's available?

Things that have pissed me off in the past: Ordering a server via internal purchasing and having it turn up with random additional cards that I don't need (e.g. fibre channel card and extra 4-port NIC in a print server for 200 users, in 2001), waste of money.

I think you get a choice of Intel or Broadcom for the two "on board" NICs, which are served by a daughterboard instead of having different system boards. The magnetics etc are all on the mainboard, the daughterboard has the actual NIC part.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Lum posted:

What Caged said. It's an option that Dell offers:
PDF Link

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

But yes you should definitely just ask for the Intel ones instead. Unless there's a reason someone would seek out a non-Intel NIC that I'm not aware of.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

TWBalls posted:

What Caged said. It's an option that Dell offers:
PDF Link

Yeah, and they are also designed to be programmed with MAC address such that when they are replaced you don't have to reconfigure any network config with the new MAC addresses. It should auto-populate from the system board (not that everything is 100% free from glitches). It was a pretty neat thing when I first heard about it.

Caged posted:

But yes you should definitely just ask for the Intel ones instead. Unless there's a reason someone would seek out a non-Intel NIC that I'm not aware of.

I'd agree.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 18, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lightning Jim posted:

Yeah, and they are also designed to be programmed with MAC address such that when they are replaced you don't have to reconfigure any network config with the new MAC addresses. It should auto-populate from the system board (not that anything is free from glitches). It was a pretty neat thing when I first heard about it.
Stuff like that makes me feel old. Everything old is new. Go play with old Sun gear.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

evol262 posted:

Stuff like that makes me feel old. Everything old is new. Go play with old Sun gear.

Which is awesome until you realise you have no idea what the MAC address was and the BIOS bettery went at some point around about the time people were scrambling to fix Y2K bugs.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lum posted:

Which is awesome until you realise you have no idea what the MAC address was and the BIOS bettery went at some point around about the time people were scrambling to fix Y2K bugs.

I'm not saying hot-swapping batteries and NVRAM so you don't get a null MAC and no idea what to do when you power it on was awesome, but it's not a new thing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

evol262 posted:

I work with old Sun gear.

We can't reboot anything because there is a fair chance it won't come back up after 5+ years uptime.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Lum posted:

Knowing Dell, they will charge extra for this option, which will mean cancelling the original order, and resubmitting it, therefore delaying it behind everyone else that's been waiting.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Lightning Jim posted:

Yeah, and they are also designed to be programmed with MAC address such that when they are replaced you don't have to reconfigure any network config with the new MAC addresses. It should auto-populate from the system board (not that everything is 100% free from glitches). It was a pretty neat thing when I first heard about it.

Last time I messed with that feature, the system-assigned MAC would fail to work intermittently on reboots, causing the original hardware MAC to get passed through to the OS and completely loving up the network configuration.

Speaking of network adapters, our SAN guys just informed us that Netapp is no longer going to support FCoE from a Netapp cluster to the Intel 10Gb cards that shipped with several new Dell servers we just bought, so we have to replace them all with QLogic cards. :(

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

evol262 posted:

I'm not saying hot-swapping batteries and NVRAM so you don't get a null MAC and no idea what to do when you power it on was awesome, but it's not a new thing.

I was thinking more of when you drag an old Sun out of its cobweb covered box and try to get the drat thing working.

Did it to a SparcStation IPC many years ago to use it as a router for my cable modem (got a second NIC for it for 99p off ebay and nicked a couple of AUI transceivers from work) it was not fun.

Just chucked out a load of 10s and 20s, still got an Ultra5 I don't know what to do with.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's a sun box that's in the mass of lovely hardware in what used to be our training lab. Every time someone comes through to look at what is there, they are all "No, we shouldn't get rid of this. We could use it." Ok, sure, if you want to try to get it to work. I'd be surprised if the red hat machine even still turns on. Getting that sun box to work again would be magic. Especially because no one remembers how to use it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nitrogen posted:

Knowing Dell, they will charge extra for this option, which will mean cancelling the original order, and resubmitting it, therefore delaying it behind everyone else that's been waiting.

Pretty much this. We've already had to push back deadlines for this project due to the delays, they're probably getting pushed back even more now. Dell previously screwed up an add-in card and we were told by our rep the correct ones would ship separately otherwise our order goes back to the bottom of the pile to be completed... who knows when.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I work with old Sun gear.

We can't reboot anything because there is a fair chance it won't come back up after 5+ years uptime.
Just rebooting a machine that has been running for a number of years usually isn't a problem. The problem comes when you have to shut it down for a period of time and things like hard drive bearings cool down.

e: And/or you discover that your CMOS battery is dead.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 18, 2014

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Lum posted:

That's why you have the MAC address taped to the box and input it to the boot prompt when you reboot. :v:

Sirotan posted:

Pretty much this. We've already had to push back deadlines for this project due to the delays, they're probably getting pushed back even more now. Dell previously screwed up an add-in card and we were told by our rep the correct ones would ship separately otherwise our order goes back to the bottom of the pile to be completed... who knows when.

"We're at the bottom of the pile? Well let's see if HP can deliver faster"

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

luminalflux posted:

"We're at the bottom of the pile? Well let's see if HP can deliver faster"

We've already gotten in one of the three servers for this project along with a bunch of switches and expensive cabling. We're kind of at the mercy of Dell now as we really can't switch manufacturers. :(

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sirotan posted:

We've already gotten in one of the three servers for this project along with a bunch of switches and expensive cabling. We're kind of at the mercy of Dell now as we really can't switch manufacturers. :(

IT still might be worth it to reach out to an HP re-seller for future needs, even if only to get some HP salesguys to take you out and buy you lots of good beers.

I've always said HP sucks as a hardware vendor, while all other vendors are far worse.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nitrogen posted:

I've always said HP sucks as a hardware vendor, while all other vendors are far worse.
Buy through a distributor instead. HP may suck on their own, but at least in my experience they have a pretty good distributor network.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Collateral Damage posted:

Just rebooting a machine that has been running for a number of years usually isn't a problem. The problem comes when you have to shut it down for a period of time and things like hard drive bearings cool down.

e: And/or you discover that your CMOS battery is dead.

You have obviously never rebooted one that had several hundred hardcoded mount points to NFS shares on servers that no longer exist, causing the the network stack to hang during boot.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

You have obviously never rebooted one that had several hundred hardcoded mount points to NFS shares on servers that no longer exist, causing the the network stack to hang during boot.
Yeesh, yeah that's a completely different problem. Although if you know about it you could set up a dummy NFS server with a bunch of DNS and/or IP aliases so that the mount attempts will at least succeed.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Buy through a distributor instead. HP may suck on their own, but at least in my experience they have a pretty good distributor network.

This is good advice.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

And now the parts are back in stock and our servers are back in production. I feel like they're just bullshitting us at this what.

:what:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Can we talk about people visiting from other office location temporarily and wanting two monitors, a keyboard, a docking station, a phone, and a better chair?

Why do we even have laptops here?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ElGroucho posted:

Can we talk about people visiting from other office location temporarily and wanting two monitors, a keyboard, a docking station, a phone, and a better chair?

Why do we even have laptops here?

This is our HR dept. No we're not buying a docking station and two monitors for each location you visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

Usually they just steal the chair of whoever hasn't turned up yet or is on lunch/smoke break.

• Locked thread