Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoreleave
Jun 6, 2008
There was a mention somewhere of a writing contest between Martin, Sanderson, and Rothfuss. something about Sanderson and Rothfuss alternating chapters and Martin writing an ending. Of course that means all the characters will die in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

NightRift posted:

There was a mention somewhere of a writing contest between Martin, Sanderson, and Rothfuss. something about Sanderson and Rothfuss alternating chapters and Martin writing an ending. Of course that means all the characters will die in the end.

Is the joke here that GRRM would actually finish something?

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I feel that Sanderson's contributions would be pretty weak. He's a prolific writer who manages to complete books at a rapid pace, which is something, but I feel that he really has nothing to offer in terms of style, characters, or plot that the other two authors wouldn't seriously hand him his rear end on.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Agreed. The only thing Sanderson really has going for him is the sheer speed at which the man puts out books.

I mean, they're not bad books but they're nothing special, either.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Khizan posted:

Agreed. The only thing Sanderson really has going for him is the sheer speed at which the man puts out books.

I mean, they're not bad books but they're nothing special, either.

Read The Emperor's Soul.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sanderson's books are easy reads that have a track record of building up to consistently exciting conclusions. The characters and prose aren't the highest quality, but the man plays to his strengths and works on improving his weaknesses. Rothfuss' books are good, but the plot in the Kingkiller Chronicles has a bit too much "kvothe needs money, plays music, pines over girl, insults rich bully, needs money, plays music, etc" cycling from what I remember.

Oh and GRRM I can't comment on because I stopped reading ASOIAF 50 pages into the second book because I had no time or inclination to dedicate myself to the series.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 4, 2014

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Democratic Pirate posted:

Oh and GRRM I can't comment on because I stopped reading ASOIAF 50 pages into the second book because I had no time or inclination to dedicate myself to the series.

That's OK. Neither does GURM anymore!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Someone linked me to this review Rothfuss wrote about Esio Trot, a book by Roald Dahl. It's fairly amusing. I kind of want to read more reviews that start with "gently caress this book."

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
There are plenty reviews for Wise Man's Fear that start that way.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

The Puppy Bowl posted:

There are plenty reviews for Wise Man's Fear that start that way.

Actually I thought they started "This book fucks?"

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there any good page collecting theories?

Kind of like how Tower of the Hand has their GRRM theories pages?

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

bengraven posted:

Is there any good page collecting theories?

Kind of like how Tower of the Hand has their GRRM theories pages?

A great place to start would be Jo Walton's TOR re-read. Her analysis and their threads cover most of them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Wittgen posted:

Someone linked me to this review Rothfuss wrote about Esio Trot, a book by Roald Dahl. It's fairly amusing. I kind of want to read more reviews that start with "gently caress this book."

I do *not* appreciate this style of emphasis for *some* reason.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

StoicRomance posted:

A great place to start would be Jo Walton's TOR re-read. Her analysis and their threads cover most of them.

Here's the Jo Walton reread main page:
http://www.tor.com/features/series/patrick-rothfuss-reread

The posts titled "Speculative Summary" have all the different theories.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You know what? I'm out. I read the first two books and saw the positives through the many many flaws but that review is just too crazy hypocritical for me to go on.

gently caress the GRRM like stalling, gently caress the Mary-Sue sex fiction, gently caress the excessively worked over writing style, and gently caress Kvothe.

I wish you all the best of luck with this poo poo, but I'm out.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Turn in your talent pipes and report to the horns E'lir.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Does it cost me anything to be "in"? I thought I'd just keep doing my thing and whenever book 3 comes out... cool. Am I supposed to be doing something else until then? :confused:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

kenny powerzzz posted:

Turn in your talent pipes and report to the horns E'lir.

You can have my pipes when you take them from my cold, dead plumbing.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You know what? I'm out. I read the first two books and saw the positives through the many many flaws but that review is just too crazy hypocritical for me to go on.

gently caress the GRRM like stalling, gently caress the Mary-Sue sex fiction, gently caress the excessively worked over writing style, and gently caress Kvothe.

I wish you all the best of luck with this poo poo, but I'm out.
Rothfuss is an obnoxious rear end in a top hat without a scrap of self awareness who can write engaging fantasy books. You don't need to like the author to like the book

Krypsis
Nov 8, 2013

Above Our Own posted:

Rothfuss is an obnoxious rear end in a top hat without a scrap of self awareness who can write engaging fantasy books. You don't need to like the author to like the book

Sort of like how Quentin Tarantino is a brilliant director, but a loving creepy rear end in a top hat in real life.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looking up personal stuff about a writer usually ends in tears more often than not. *Especially* when it's a genre writer.

(Rothfuss' complaints about the LotR movies sure got weird with the metaphor he made about it, to name another example of poo poo he said)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Above Our Own posted:

I'd say Rothfuss can write some fantastic prose, but his fame and pseudo-celebrity status have highlighted his weird eccentricities and general idiocy. Him and GRRM are getting associated more and more while genuinely good writers like Sanderson and Abercrombie are less known but are putting out a book every year.

Now that Rothfuss is a "big time fantasy writer" hasn't he taken jobs writing for KS projects and taken on more non-Kvothe based works?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

He has gotten some side work but I don't think he's gonna reach GRRM levels of procrastination anytime soon. Even though it seems he was greatly exaggerating about having a completed draft of the entire series (this seems true on some level but it sounds like he has made a ton of additions/changes to it) I feel like he's not the sort to endlessly stall on a project. I'm sure those side projects are delaying the final book, but I can't really begrudge him for doing that yet; after all, at least we know he's spending his time working on something!

I don't feel that putting out a book every year is a good metric for or against the quality of a book though, since different writers work at different speeds.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm 100% sure he's got a complete first draft, but I think people vastly over-think how much a first draft is worth in terms of how publishable something is. I sincerely doubt agreeing to do some novellas here and there is interfering in any appreciable sense, either.

I'm not the guy's biggest fan, but I've seen people get bent out of shape at him for doing some pretty significant charity work because it involves not being chained to a desk banging out the next book, that's kind of lousy.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That Review posted:

But recently, my love dimmed a little when I read James and the Giant Peach, a book that was a serious boatload of meh. A nickel's worth of story in a dollar-long book.

Anytime in the future of humanity, when somebody needs to define the phrase "those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones," all they will ever have to do is point to this sentence and say "That."

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

pentyne posted:

I'd say Rothfuss can write some fantastic prose, but his fame and pseudo-celebrity status have highlighted his weird eccentricities and general idiocy. Him and GRRM are getting associated more and more while genuinely good writers like Sanderson and Abercrombie are less known but are putting out a book every year.

Now that Rothfuss is a "big time fantasy writer" hasn't he taken jobs writing for KS projects and taken on more non-Kvothe based works?
I don't think Sanderson is a genuinely good writer at all, just a genuinely prolific one. Out of all the authors mentioned I think his books by far show the least technical skill in every area.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Above Our Own posted:

I don't think Sanderson is a genuinely good writer at all, just a genuinely prolific one. Out of all the authors mentioned I think his books by far show the least technical skill in every area.
Sanderson's a lot like Stephen King - he knows, like book-learnin' knows, a hell of a lot about story structure, about language, about writing itself. He's got a huge fuckin' catalog that he constantly updates at least once a year. He's just not very good at applying all of his knowledge and work ethic towards making something genuinely well written.

Putting Sanderson and Abercrombie in the same sentence is kind of horrifying; one's an incredible fantasy author writing some of the greatest books out, and the other's a Mormon who likes building magic systems.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Whalley posted:

Sanderson's a lot like Stephen King - he knows, like book-learnin' knows, a hell of a lot about story structure, about language, about writing itself. He's got a huge fuckin' catalog that he constantly updates at least once a year. He's just not very good at applying all of his knowledge and work ethic towards making something genuinely well written.

Sanderson is nothing like King, because Stephen King has written some loving excellent books. IT. The Running Man. Pet Sematary. The Shining. The Long Walk. His later output has been crap, admittedly, but he's got some great books in his bibliography.

Sanderson has a bunch of glorified Player's Handbooks.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Sanderson is steadily getting better at least. The Emperor's Soul was excellent. Possibly because while it did have a very intriguing magic system, it wasn't the sort that sounded like it belonged in a video game.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Hah, yes. I loved Mistborn, but I had to put down Alloy of Law because the plot felt like it belonged in a 90's video game...also the dialogue, and the characters.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sanderson is perfect for when I want an easy read with an interesting magic system and a plot buildup towards the end to keep me engaged. In tv terms he isn't The Wire or Breaking Bad good, but he's something I'll gladly binge watch on Netflix when I want to relax for a few hours.

He does like to be actively writing 50 books at one time, I wonder what the difference would be if he focused all of his attention on one book at time.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

I'm going to have to do a reread of Rothfuss because I looked at the stuff about Auri on that reddit link and had no idea who the character was.

Same here. I know my memory for specifics in books isn't great, but why can't I at all remember a character who's apparently important enough to get their own novel?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
She's not interesting.

Auri is the archetypical infantilized sexy baby mysterious girl. Examples: River from Firefly. Leeloo Multipass from the Fifth Element.

Rothfuss is a huge fan of Whedon, who has a hard on for those types of characters.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

BananaNutkins posted:

She's not interesting.

Auri is the archetypical infantilized sexy baby mysterious girl. Examples: River from Firefly. Leeloo Multipass from the Fifth Element.

Rothfuss is a huge fan of Whedon, who has a hard on for those types of characters.

It's a little more than that, though you are right about Whedon. Auri is also damaged in some way and Kvothe feels the need to protect her because of it. I liked Auri when I read the story but then Pat started talking about how she was beautiful to the story, which made me think about it a little more and made me a little sick the more I thought about the fetish for damaged-but-innocent women. It'll be interesting to see how he views Auri as more of an individual though with his novella. Slightly withholding judgement until I read it.

About Devi...I didn't pick up on it until I listened to the audiobook for WMF, but about the reason she was expelled: did Professor Dahl try to make a move on her and she defended herself? When Kvothe confronted her about his blood, he tried restraining her and she went absolutely batshit and said something about Dahl attempting something similar. Thoughts? Something about that scene really made my skin crawl.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Yeah there's a slightly rapey undertone for almost every female character
  • Denna is implied to "do what a girl has to do" to survive as some weird like geisha poo poo and gets the poo poo beaten out of her by her patron
  • Auri comes off like a seriously abused, damaged woman that is somehow beautiful and mystical because of how damaged she is
  • Devi was the victim of sexual assault and was expelled for it
  • At one point Rothfuss goes way out of his way to show just how much Kvothe "wouldn't rape" Fela under the effects of the drug Ambrose gives him
  • Felurian is a sex goddess who rapes men to death, but Kvothe basically outrapes her by "commanding her true name" or whatever the hell happens in that scene
  • Vashet and the other Adem gently caress Kvothe a lot and each other and it's not really rapey but goddamn he can't even mention a female without talking about sex
Then there's the scene where Kvothe breaks a kids arm for implying a girl was damaged goods for being raped and you know it's just like he's obsessed with sex and sexual abuse. Rape is so bad, let's talk about and imply rape constantly and how bad it is.

Not that big of a deal, but it is a little creepy.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Above Our Own posted:

Yeah there's a slightly rapey undertone for almost every female character
  • Denna is implied to "do what a girl has to do" to survive as some weird like geisha poo poo and gets the poo poo beaten out of her by her patron
  • Auri comes off like a seriously abused, damaged woman that is somehow beautiful and mystical because of how damaged she is
  • At one point Rothfuss goes way out of his way to show just how much Kvothe "wouldn't rape" Fela under the effects of the drug Ambrose gives him
  • Felurian is a sex goddess who rapes men to death, but Kvothe basically outrapes her by "commanding her true name" or whatever the hell happens in that scene
  • Vashet and the other Adem gently caress Kvothe a lot and each other and it's not really rapey but goddamn he can't even mention a female without talking about sex
Then there's the scene where Kvothe breaks a kids arm for implying a girl was damaged goods for being raped and you know it's just like he's obsessed with sex and sexual abuse. Rape is so bad, let's talk about and imply rape constantly and how bad it is.

Not that big of a deal, but it is a little creepy.

What?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Above Our Own posted:

Auri is clearly not normal, but I haven't seen a real damage / abuse connection other than her being skittish of people. I agree that her mystic nature and general attraction for Kvothe is related to her not being normal, but again I see less of a sexual connotation for Auri.

For Devi, past sexual assault is a (but not the only) reasonable interpretation of some of the relevant quotes, which I've put below.

quote:

"[Devi] was expelled for Conduct Unbecoming. There was no proof of malfeasance."
"[Devi] Why do you think they expelled me? They feared a woman who could match a master by her second year."
"[Devi] You think I'm not ready for this sort of thing? You think you're the first to try and take advantage of me?"
"He beats his whores," Devi said, interrupting him abruptly. "And if I could kill the arrogant bastard and get away with it, I would have done it years ago.” She stared flatly at Wilem. "And yes, we have a past. And no, it’s none of your business. Is that enough reason for you?"

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

ulmont posted:

Auri is clearly not normal, but I haven't seen a real damage / abuse connection other than her being skittish of people. I agree that her mystic nature and general attraction for Kvothe is related to her not being normal, but again I see less of a sexual connotation for Auri.

I had the feeling she had lost her name somehow and Kvothe gave it back to her/gave her another one. Maybe damaged isn't the right word...vulnerable? Innocent and vulnerable. Isn't she also a little older than him too? I agree there isn't really anything sexual between them. It'll be interesting to see her novella to see what she's really like rather than how Kvothe see's her.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I remember Auri as being younger, but I don't think her age is ever specified. She's clearly extremely emotionally damaged; even though it's not stated outright it's hard to believe someone could end up like that without being the victim of some pretty serious abuse. Not necessarily sexual, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I actually think it's quite easy to believe someone could end up being like that without abuse. She was a student, right? We see many times that messing around with magic is a good way to mentally or emotionally break yourself.

I'm not saying it wasn't abuse or trauma. It's just that the answer could be magic.

• Locked thread