Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

CharlestheHammer posted:

That would be the correct react yeah.

Unless you are a child but then your parent disciplines you and everything is all right.

This is maybe a little far in the other direction. You don't have to go wild and try to fight to tell someone that they're out of line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
I suppose this is only tangentially related to sports, but has anyone else watched the 30 for 30 short "Judging Jewell" on Grantland? It is excellent, particularly so given its relatively short length.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swizz posted:

I suppose this is only tangentially related to sports, but has anyone else watched the 30 for 30 short "Judging Jewell" on Grantland? It is excellent, particularly so given its relatively short length.

I saw this last night. It's fantastic. We'd talked about this story in some of my media classes in college and I'm surprised it hasn't managed to be more of a cautionary tale for journalist and media groups in this day and age.

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

Baseball is serious business.

DJExile posted:

I saw this last night. It's fantastic. We'd talked about this story in some of my media classes in college and I'm surprised it hasn't managed to be more of a cautionary tale for journalist and media groups in this day and age.

I'm not surprised because Nancy Grace.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I like how the top commenter of the video is a Penn State student comparing Richard Jewell and Joe Paterno :shepface:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
What exactly am I looking at, here?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

morestuff posted:

What the gently caress?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

morestuff posted:

I don't know, but it's making me feel weird.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

morestuff posted:

:stare:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I think the orange is rubbing its nipples.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

morestuff posted:

Zed: Bring out the Gimp.

Maynard: Gimp's sleeping.

Zed: Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake him up now, won't you?

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

Baseball is serious business.
why...

why are his eyes closed?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

morestuff posted:

The Birth of a serial killer.

With a very specific gimmick.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

morestuff posted:

Duke is Vito Corleone?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Did a DevantArt user win a random lottery to run ESPN's Twitter for one night?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

morestuff posted:

Jesus loving Christ this image is going to give me night terrors. I'm actually afraid to fall asleep.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Why is the blue devil wearing a sweatband over top of its mask? Why do its horns have kinks and point downward? Why does the mask apparently have holes for the ears to go through? Is the orangeman part of the same genus as Pacman? Is the Syracuse cap really just a blank blue cap? Why is the orangeman wearing gloves?!?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I never thought the journalism thread would give me a boner but I guess there is a first for everything.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
What's great is that someone at ESPN looked at that, and the only issue was to make sure there's a prominent ESPN watermark on the lower left corner.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

What's great is that someone at ESPN looked at that, and the only issue was to make sure there's a prominent ESPN watermark on the lower left corner.

I mean, you all are kind of reaching to see sex stuff or whatever in that pic IMHO. Its the mascots of the two teams and the Blue Devil had to eat an Orange cause he lost.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Repeating myself from the Sports Broadcasting thread: Grantland's latest 30 for 30 short is excellent and worth your time.

It does have a journalism tie: a damning screw-up by the Atlanta Journal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Pussy Boss posted:

I mean, you all are kind of reaching to see sex stuff or whatever in that pic IMHO. Its the mascots of the two teams and the Blue Devil had to eat an Orange cause he lost.

Everyone knows what they are going for.

They just also picked imagery that can be sexual.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Apparently access is easier than loving ever these days. That 9/11 truther who stole the microphone from Malcolm Smith last night? Got there simply by telling security he was running late and flashed credentials from a concert he covered a while back.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

morestuff posted:

I don't like what you're doing here. I don't feel like I have a lot of outs.

midwat
May 6, 2007

DJExile posted:

Apparently access is easier than loving ever these days. That 9/11 truther who stole the microphone from Malcolm Smith last night? Got there simply by telling security he was running late and flashed credentials from a concert he covered a while back.

Funnily enough, the mere fact he got in did more to discredit post-9/11 security measures than anything he could've said into that microphone.

He's still a lunatic, though.

midwat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 4, 2014

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

ESPN News Services posted:

"All we did was play situational football," Sherman told the website in an interview held during one of the Seahawks' postgame victory parties. "We knew what route concepts they liked on different downs, so we jumped all the routes. Then we figured out the hand signals for a few of the route audibles in the first half."

Sherman had drinks in his hand as he spoke, themmqb.com said, but according to the website he seemed much more interested in talking about the game and described how he and his teammates accurately called out Denver's plays based on Manning's hand signs.

Real question: why is the bolded sentence even in the article? I read it and still have no idea what point it is trying to convey. Is it to imply Sherman was drunk and therefore his quotes should be taken with a grain of salt? And if so, why not just state that directly? So weird.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So It Goes posted:

Real question: why is the bolded sentence even in the article? I read it and still have no idea what point it is trying to convey. Is it to imply Sherman was drunk and therefore his quotes should be taken with a grain of salt? And if so, why not just state that directly? So weird.
It's probably implying that he was at a Super Bowl party but was still more interested in talking about the game at that time than celebrating.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Guess who just plagiarized himself again?

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014..._medium=twitter

$3 million a year.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I almost feel like the worst thing about it in this case is how disrespectful it is to the athletes. He's telling these guys to celebrate their victories, but apparently he can't even be arsed to pen new jokes about them. It's blatantly obvious that to him they're just faceless archetypes.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

At this point, as long as they continue to employ that sack of poo poo free of punishment, I can't really blame him for shortcutting. If they're ready and willing to pay you a truckload of money to quarter-rear end your entire job, good for you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sportsgenius86 posted:

At this point, as long as they continue to employ that sack of poo poo free of punishment, I can't really blame him for shortcutting. If they're ready and willing to pay you a truckload of money to quarter-rear end your entire job, good for you.

As lovely as Reilly has become, he's the symptom, not the disease.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2014/02/14/Burnett-is-wrong-but-Jeter-is-right/stories/201402140065

Ron Cook getting on the :qq: HOW DARE AJ LEAVE THE PIRATES, WHAT A CLASSLESS JERK!!! :qq: train

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 14, 2014

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

I tried to read that article, but I couldn't get past the ridiculous headline. Anyone who blames AJ's departure on him instead of on the front office is Really loving Stupid, though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

camoseven posted:

I tried to read that article, but I couldn't get past the ridiculous headline. Anyone who blames AJ's departure on him instead of on the front office is Really loving Stupid, though.
Ron is also :smug: as gently caress on the radio who shills for the teams like the terrible person that he is, I swear the only good sports journalist in this town is Chris Mueller who despite being a PSU grad rightfully attacked the school for the Sandusky poo poo, brought up the Notre Dame rape case despite many callers going "This isn't about Pittsburgh you hack!!!", and is a cool guy on twitter who is able to confuse dumb yinzers on twitter.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Which one of the Chicago crew is going to bite the bullet and listen to the new WGN sports radio station?

The answer is none of them. Absolutely none of them.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't live in Chicago anymore, but I'll listen to a station that was just 24 hours of Ron Santo's inhuman disappointment bellows.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Deathlove posted:

Which one of the Chicago crew is going to bite the bullet and listen to the new WGN sports radio station?

The answer is none of them. Absolutely none of them.

Based on who they have on there at launch, no one is the correct answer.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

So Jonah Keri wrote this in his Grantland article last week:

quote:

The notion of A-Rod playing for the Yankees or anyone else again might be merely hypothetical at this point, anyway. Baseball colluded against Bonds after the home run king hit .276/.480/.565 in 126 games for the Giants in 2007. From a PR standpoint, A-Rod has been 10,000 times the pain in the rear end Bonds was, and he’s nowhere near the hitter Bonds was when teams slammed the door in the San Francisco slugger’s face.

Most of SAS agrees with him, but is it a common thing for writers (at least, writers in the know) to call out the owners like that about Barry Bonds without even couching it?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah people talked about it even at the time. It was pretty obvious what was going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Baseball has far more sycophants among the media than even football but there are also quite a few individuals willing to call out the owners for their shenanigans*

*since 2006 or so