Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

field balm posted:

Hi thread, thank you for all the responses!

I have not actually read Lem before - I picked up His Masters Voice at a charity shop recently but haven't started it. I've always kind of assumed that he wrote in Russian and have avoided reading it because of the loss of meaning through translation: is this correct or are the originals in English?

I've been interested in Solaris forever, I'm very familiar with the id-machine concept through other works and it sounds exactly up my alley.

Polish I think actually? Yeah, you're reading his stuff in translation so that's a factor.

quote:

I have read and enjoyed Perdido Street Station (and promptly forgot about the author somehow) and the Dune series but not any of the others, thanks a lot! I will check out The Wasp Factory and Zelazny.

Zelazny is far and away my favorite SF author. The thing with Zelazny is that he wrote everything from deeply complex and allusive metafiction to straight up dime novel pulp, and so almost every book is different. He's playful and experimental and takes gambles with his fiction that sometimes work and sometimes really don't. My personal favorite of his is Isle of the Dead.

Mieville can be really brilliant but sometimes he doesn't know when to put down his thesaurus or his lit crit textbook. Some of his stuff gets really, really heavily Marxist preachy, like an inverse fantasy Heinlein, but most of the time it works well with the story he's telling since steampunk-victorian settings work well with Marxist themes.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grimwall posted:

Which books that you read while a teen hold up well after 15 years?

Dune might be one of them. I read tons of sci-fi, but for world-building there is not much out there that comes close to it.

Legend by David Gemmell. It needed a bit of a tighter review in the editing process (a few errors made it to print), but it was a fantastic debut. Gemmell was and is the greatest writer of the muscular fantasy since Robert E Howard.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Lem wrote in Polish and I understand the translations are considered quite choppy. I still got a lot out of him though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Peel posted:

Lem wrote in Polish and I understand the translations are considered quite choppy. I still got a lot out of him though.

Whatever translation of Solaris I got through Kindle was great. If you want contemplative or literary or whatever the right term is, I'd definitely recommend it. I didn't notice any poor or stilted writing.

I also recently read Gateway by Pohl and it was quite good too. Interesting ideas, funny at times, and well written. I'm working through some classic scifi I never got around to reading and those are two of the best so far (Babel-17 and Last and First Men were both OK and interesting in their own ways, but not nearly as good).

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
From what I've been told it's not that the English translations are bad but more that Lem's polish is extremely witty and a lot of that specifically doesn't survive translation.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Whatever translation of Solaris I got through Kindle was great. If you want contemplative or literary or whatever the right term is, I'd definitely recommend it. I didn't notice any poor or stilted writing.

There's a new 2011 one, apparently, but the only one that was out before that was actually a translation of a French translation. Michael Kandel's translations of Lem are considered to be really good, though.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

I'm about halfway through Ancillary Justice, but still don't understand the significance of what happened on Ime, and whether that was the station Seivarden woke up on. Can someone explain?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

regularizer posted:

I'm about halfway through Ancillary Justice, but still don't understand the significance of what happened on Ime, and whether that was the station Seivarden woke up on. Can someone explain?

Keep reading a little further and both questions will be answered.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

ravenkult posted:

Are the Alex Bledshoe books any good?

Yup.

Fairly decent, can't really remember a bad thing about em, which means it's probably time for a reread :haw:

Jedit posted:

Legend by David Gemmell. It needed a bit of a tighter review in the editing process (a few errors made it to print), but it was a fantastic debut. Gemmell was and is the greatest writer of the muscular fantasy since Robert E Howard.

EXACTLY. If you want to read a series that involves large men bashing the living gently caress out of other large men with giant axes and sword fights and maybe magic but gently caress it, it could be science who loving knows that guy just cut off half that dudes ribcage with his axe, then by god read this man.

The only thing I don't like about his work, and the only thing, is his females all tend to be rape bait trope fantasy females who overcome blah blah and kill everyone.

Also, the dude loving loves his irish fantasy folk. Dunno why I consider em irish, but I do.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 16, 2014

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

I've read those and really enjoyed them. A Madness of Angels is fairly weird and at first you'll have trouble understanding what's going on, but that's intentional and meant to set up a revelation later. Everything about the pronoun confusion suddenly makes more sense once you understand that Swift is not, in fact, just one person. The Neon Court is probably the weakest of the three I've read, but it's also the last so you'll have plenty of time to decide whether you enjoy the series.

I really like this series and generally agree with you but there's a fourth book, The Minority Council, now. The author seems to be taking a break and it kind of ties up some of the loose ends from the series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Megazver posted:

Personally, I thought the beginning of the first Matthew Smith book was painfully overwritten so I dropped it. The author described a wardrobe whose only function was to let the hero steal some clothes before escaping for, like, two pages.
That sort of stuff is what I meant when I said it's hard to get into. It drops off sharply after the first few chapters, though, so you might want to give it another chance at some other time.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

That sort of stuff is what I meant when I said it's hard to get into. It drops off sharply after the first few chapters, though, so you might want to give it another chance at some other time.

That's nice to know, but the thing with "oh it gets good eventually!" books is that I've got, like, a thirty page list of unread books on my Kindle and at least with some of them I won't need to slog through them, teeth gritted, to maybe-probably get to the good bits.

Your story's beginning is important, guys. Edit it hard.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

EdBlackadder posted:

I really like this series and generally agree with you but there's a fourth book, The Minority Council, now. The author seems to be taking a break and it kind of ties up some of the loose ends from the series.

She didn't take a break, she wrote two books with a new protagonist but in the same universe with Swift as a supporting character so if you enjoyed those I'd definitely recommend checking out Stray Souls and The Glass God.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Ursus Veritas posted:

She didn't take a break, she wrote two books with a new protagonist but in the same universe with Swift as a supporting character so if you enjoyed those I'd definitely recommend checking out Stray Souls and The Glass God.

Sorry was phone posting on the toilet this morning, I meant a break from the Swift series. I had seen those books but hadn't realised they were within the same setting. I'll definitely put them on the 'to read' list, thanks.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Is Vinge's Children of the Sky worth reading? The first two books were great but this seems to be disappointment based on reviews.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It really isn't as good as either of its predecessors. Very little happens, and most of what does is left open, to be resolved in yet more sequels.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
It is worth reading only as a part of the series. There's precious little space opera going on in it and a lot of poo poo to do with the tines. The next one will probably be better.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
Can anyone recommend any good military fantasy? I just read The Red Knight by Miles Cameron and really enjoyed it. I also really liked The Black Company series.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Linco posted:

Can anyone recommend any good military fantasy? I just read The Red Knight by Miles Cameron and really enjoyed it. I also really liked The Black Company series.

When you say military fantasy is there a specific sub-genre you're looking for? Otherwise I'd say check out the Malazan books. They're mostly about characters in various militaries although there's other types of prominent characters as well.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Linco posted:

The series goes beyond this and becomes less military-oriented, but Sheepfarmer's Daughter is a favourite of mine. It's pretty 80s, but it's very nicely written all the same, I think.

GrannyW
Oct 17, 2013

neongrey posted:

The series goes beyond this and becomes less military-oriented, but Sheepfarmer's Daughter is a favourite of mine. It's pretty 80s, but it's very nicely written all the same, I think.

The full "Deed of Paksenarrion" by Elizabeth Moon is very solid. Not as sold on the other books in the series, but the Phelan and Free companies worked in through the Deed trilogy is solid and well done.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GrannyW posted:

The full "Deed of Paksenarrion" by Elizabeth Moon is very solid. Not as sold on the other books in the series, but the Phelan and Free companies worked in through the Deed trilogy is solid and well done.

I'd add the caveat that that series is very obviously the story of her 1st edition AD&D paladin's campaign with the numbers filed off. She even gets her warhorse at fourth level and everything. It's still better than most things of that ilk but if that kind of thing bothers you be aware.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Linco posted:

The Red Knight just got a sequel, I believe. I hear it's a bit sloppier, but whatever. You'll definitely get the kick out of The Thousand Names. Paul Kearney's Macht trilogy is a great fit. Finally, Joe Abercrombie recently wrote Heroes which is sorta that.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

GrannyW posted:

I read those books when I was a wee lad and I am convinced that the unbearably long and pointless torture sequence in book 3 is the reason I am so viscerally opposed to most fantasy to this day. It really is a first edition dungeons and dragons game outside of that though - now that you point it out I'm reminded of my longstanding theory that Game of Thrones is another such game in the process of conversion. Since that's literally what he did for Wildcards originally it wouldn't surprise me.

As to recommendations, I bought Peshawar Lancers on a recommendation from this thread (I think) recently. It's an interesting postapocalypse - the entire world order is destroyed by a meteor strike in the 1870s I think it is, and all the Atlantic civilizations are destroyed. The British Empire is relocated to India and they manage to survive the ensuing comet-winter, remaining the dominant power, while the Tsarist Russians turn to ritual cannibalism and the worship of the Peacock Angel, an aspect of Tchernobog. It's excellent genre fiction from S. M. Stirling, but hampered by the usual problems (casual racism, a creepy obsession with female virginity and sex) but the book itself actually stunned me when I got (embarassingly late in the book) its central joke which is white european cannibals eating East Indians, an inversion of the classic trope of cannibals and civilized people

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

GrannyW posted:

I like the whole set, including her recent stuff-- with the noted caveats about Deed-- but the first one is where the heaviest military emphasis is, which is what he was asking for. It's never absent, but I'd say it does take a back seat.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd add the caveat that that series is very obviously the story of her 1st edition AD&D paladin's campaign with the numbers filed off. She even gets her warhorse at fourth level and everything. It's still better than most things of that ilk but if that kind of thing bothers you be aware.

I dunno, she swears up and down that it wasn't, but that it was based on other people's anecdotes of play. Like Paks's deffo the 1e Paladin, straight-up, but Moon's forthright enough about the origin of the story I see no reason not to take her at her word.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

neongrey posted:

I like the whole set, including her recent stuff-- with the noted caveats about Deed-- but the first one is where the heaviest military emphasis is, which is what he was asking for. It's never absent, but I'd say it does take a back seat.

I dunno, she swears up and down that it wasn't, but that it was based on other people's anecdotes of play. Like Paks's deffo the 1e Paladin, straight-up, but Moon's forthright enough about the origin of the story I see no reason not to take her at her word.

Ok I wasn't aware of her quotes, I could just tell reading it that it was definitely somebody's 1e Paladin.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you are, like me, bothered by an author being a massive shitlord don't read SM stirling.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

andrew smash posted:

If you are, like me, bothered by an author being a massive shitlord don't read SM stirling.

Everybody's* coming up shitlord in the SFWA debacle over this past week :negative:

*not literally everybody, but a fair few authors I thought were chill

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

General Battuta posted:

Everybody's* coming up shitlord in the SFWA debacle over this past week :negative:

*not literally everybody, but a fair few authors I thought were chill

Oh yeah? I don't follow this drama particularly, fill us in.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

andrew smash posted:

Oh yeah? I don't follow this drama particularly, fill us in.

It's pretty much the same debate that's been going on since the summer (longer?) with maybe some new names involved.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This is an aftershock of the eruption last year over sexism in the SFWA Bulletin (which is, mind you, the trade publication of a professional organization). The Bulletin was suspended, its editor fired, and a council proposed to keep oversight on the Bulletin to make sure it didn't (for example) ship issues with bikini barbarians on the cover and columns discussing which women in the industry were the hottest.

Recently an old white guy launched a petition to prevent 'censorship' of the Bulletin, and this led to a lively debate in which Mary Robinette Kowal, winner of the Campbell award for best new talent and now vice-president of SFWA, was called out by said anti-censorship faction for her obvious incompetence and ANTI-FEMINISM because someone had seen pictures of her in a white dress on a beach. (If you can't follow the logic here, well, good.)

When the person who made this particular comparison

quote:

“It just occurred to me that MRK seems to be deeply involved in this whole anti-sexism matter. I remember seeing her posing with Hines and Scalzi on one of their very scary cover parodies, and I know she chimed in with a snipe at the petition signers on the Radish thread. I find it very funny and ironic that she would jump on this bandwagon. For a long time, her website featured an array of photos of her in a diaphanous white outfit, posing on a beach. No metal bikinis or such, but they were not innocuous writer headshots either. One of them, with her recumbent on the sand with legs exposed, made her somewhat attractive. I also recall she’s fond of wearing tight-fitting gowns and plunging necklines when she attends cons and award ceremonies. I’ll have to add “phony” to “incompetent” and “arrogant” in the mental tags I’ve assigned her.”

was called out, he started threatening to sue people for libel, and that's pretty much when I stopped following the whole kerfuffle. More choice quotes from the whole affair.

The long and short of it is that a sizable faction of SF/F writers are genuinely terrified that their cozy organization is being taken over by feminists, POC, and other undesirables, and they believe they have to push back against this culture of ~fascist thought control~.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Ornamented Death posted:

It's pretty much the same debate that's been going on since the summer (longer?) with maybe some new names involved.

Considering, as I mentioned, I don't really follow it, i appreciated GB's summary.

Edit: who was the old white guy? Jerry Pournelle?

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 18, 2014

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

andrew smash posted:

Is this the dude that wrote stories where society collapses and all pretty young girls are enslaved and it rings a little like a nerd revenge fantasy or am I thinking of someone else?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

anathenema posted:

Is this the dude that wrote stories where society collapses and all pretty young girls are enslaved and it rings a little like a nerd revenge fantasy or am I thinking of someone else?

Same guy. Except not a little bit at all, the world is literally taken over by SCA dorks because they know how to swing swords around and poo poo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

andrew smash posted:

Considering, as I mentioned, I don't really follow it, i appreciated GB's summary.

Edit: who was the old white guy? Jerry Pournelle?

Uh someone named Truesdale, I believe.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Hines' parody petition is funny!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

andrew smash posted:

I don't read him, but I always love finding out how people have been shitheads. Please explain, and feel free to link me :allears:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

General Battuta posted:

was called out, he started threatening to sue people for libel, and that's pretty much when I stopped following the whole kerfuffle. More choice quotes from the whole affair.

The Cherryh-stuff is some disappointing poo poo. I thought better of her.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

andrew smash posted:

Same guy. Except not a little bit at all, the world is literally taken over by SCA dorks because they know how to swing swords around and poo poo.

That seems like a benign nerd thing. Did the sex slave thing happen in his books or am I thinking of another creepy dude?

And I echo the demands to know why he's a shitlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

andrew smash posted:

I'm not bothered by it, "death of the author" and all that. In the case of SM Stirling, though, I wish death of the author applied literally so he wouldn't write any more lovely books. "Excellent genre fiction" is not a sin of which he can be accused.