Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Saying instantaneously disseminated social media is the same as letters on papyrus is as disingenuous as claiming Call of Duty has no more effect on developing minds than Pac-man. It is less NEW FANGLED THING I DON'T UNDERSTAND and more sitting at a table with five people and three of them are staring at a loving screen instead of talking to people in front of them. We are given perfect little digital worlds of people we agree with and share everything in common with instead of actually interacting with people who might have slightly different opinions and interests, and endless small amusements to fill our time to spare us the horror of having to spend a single moment unstimulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Society survived a generation of children growing up idolizing the loving Crusades, man, I think they'll survive Call of Duty.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ryonguy posted:

Saying instantaneously disseminated social media is the same as letters on papyrus is as disingenuous as claiming Call of Duty has no more effect on developing minds than Pac-man. It is less NEW FANGLED THING I DON'T UNDERSTAND and more sitting at a table with five people and three of them are staring at a loving screen instead of talking to people in front of them. We are given perfect little digital worlds of people we agree with and share everything in common with instead of actually interacting with people who might have slightly different opinions and interests, and endless small amusements to fill our time to spare us the horror of having to spend a single moment unstimulated.

Yeah, and what about those new fangled books? I tell you, those books are killing our children's ability to remember things. Get rid of the written alphabet, I say.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ryonguy posted:

If you want to just bitch about whatever thing is on your mind at the moment without it having any relation to the titular comic, let me introduce you to a fantastic facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2204536947/

If you are seriously concerned about the decline of civilization due to people having the ability to voice opinions and discussion points in an echo chamber then perhaps a particular theme thread in a sub-forum on a comedy website isn't the best place to argue that self-selecting your peers through the internet is a bad idea?

Here's a good comic about beer:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09162004

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

ryonguy posted:

It's weird because the screen that you're staring at in order to read this response to your post is probably the furthest from 'a perfect little digital world of people you agree with' you're going to get. I say this as a person who doesn't care all that much for social media: it's about as worse as any other given thing that has existed throughout history. There is your 'different opinion'.

The Sezza fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 18, 2014

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
I'm sure the new Achewood is really good and I can't wait for it to get translated into English so I can catch up

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

'Ottawa Modified Death' would be a dynamite username.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Wow, these posts have almost as many words as he latest achewod strip

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Lot of twitter users and gamers in here I guess.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As soon as I finished reading I moused over for the alt-text automatically :negative:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

As soon as I finished reading I moused over for the alt-text automatically :negative:
At least it links to the page that has the alt-text on it.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

ryonguy posted:

And another thing, how can people enjoy movies without a live piano player??

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Erebus posted:

And another thing, how can people enjoy movies without a live piano player??

BOO TO THAT

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Ubik posted:

BOO TO THAT

I boo the nacho as his father!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SacrificialGoat posted:

I boo the nacho as his father!

If I am a pilgrim to Gomorrah, then I am a pilgrim to Gomorrah!

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012

Down With People posted:

'Ottawa Modified Death' would be a dynamite username.

That seems unlikely.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ryonguy posted:

Lot of twitter users and gamers in here I guess.

I wonder if Roast Beef actually goes and puts on the shirt and tie so he can look appropriately rumpled for the sake of participating in certain conversations.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Penny's mouth is really disconcerting.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Tolth posted:

Penny's mouth is really disconcerting.

Yeah, I just really don't like her face. Not a fan of this story so far either, but oh well. I hope we get another Philippe newspaper comic someday.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Half the people in this thread have chosen not to wage peace and are busy being a cock to a stranger.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Yeah. And I have to say, it is fun as heck.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I started giggling like an idiot last night at work, and could hardly stop. That bit where Todd has a waffle iron shaped bruise on his face and then makes the bruise worse trying to "drop" the bruise. It was during his Magical North korean text adventure. I didn't really care all that much for the MNKR story, but the mental image of a small hungover squirrel trying to pull a bruise off his face....hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The new update is coming during the weekend, but it looks like this particular storyline will be finished up, which I know some people will be pleased about.

Onstad posted:

Shifting the comic into the weekend by a day or so. Working a normal week like a supperdad Johnny. See you on the denouement.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
:siren: NEW STRIP:siren:

Dialogue still only vaguely comprehensible, but Connie is still the man, I see.

Though "Seize this opportunity to be tremendous" is a great line. Thinkin' Teodor is about to get his bone on.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 22, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Cornelius is THE wingman.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

This is a Good Strip and I'm happy with how overall pleasant the tone has been the past few weeks.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

robot roll call posted:

This is a Good Strip and I'm happy with how overall pleasant the tone has been the past few weeks.

In a horror movie, you'd be one of the first ones to die...

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Wow. Really wringing ever last drop of humor out of that freekah-chia gag

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Haha, I love how the alt-text quotes Pulp Fiction in a manner that makes it seem like it's more of an ancient wisdom than it is.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

VictorGrunn posted:

Yeah, I just really don't like her face. Not a fan of this story so far either, but oh well. I hope we get another Philippe newspaper comic someday.

Arguably the most attractive female in Achewood has been Tina. It must be difficult to try to make cats and stuffed animals look humanly appealing and not risk accusations of being a furry.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I want a fast-forward button to the end of this arc. It wouldn't be so bad if there were three of these strips a week, but when it's just one this kind of thing drags. Stick it in the blogs (and actually write it this time) or something and post a one-off or something, please.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Aw cmon man, don't you wanna read about this teddy bear getting some ( I am assuming she is also a bear?) Mary bear pussy?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
I'm kinda conflicted about this arc. On the one hand, it's nice to see Teodor getting thrown a bone (uh, so to speak) after generally being portrayed as a total washout; on the other hand, Penny comes across as too similar to Connie's stripper girlfriend to me, what with her being so perfectly aligned to how he thinks and feels, that their interactions and the general storyline just feel stale.

I guess it'd probably be improved if it included Ray with horny-onset diabetes serving ice cream in a bath towel and bolero hat, but I doubt it.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
On a side note. Have y'all noticed how Onstad has been drawing things with a little more looseness and freedom than he used to? Even changing the angles in some panels. I think spesifically of the panel in this latest comic where Penny and Theodore are opening the door to the bedroom.

Art still doesn't look all that great but I do have to admit its cool to see Onstad stretching a bit

a star war betamax fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 22, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If nothing else we have to give Cornelius further props for perfectly recalibrating Teodor's room from "crack den castaway" to "slacker chic."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

If nothing else we have to give Cornelius further props for perfectly recalibrating Teodor's room from "crack den castaway" to "slacker chic."

I honestly thought at first that he was sneaking into Cornelius's room. I don't know what specifically gave me that vibe, but it's just what I thought it was on my first reading.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Connie appears to have not only cleaned but physically replaced the furniture. It does look like an entirely different room on first glance.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Javid posted:

Connie appears to have not only cleaned but physically replaced the furniture. It does look like an entirely different room on first glance.

No, Teodor is using Connie's room and Connie is sleeping in Teodor's. Hence when Connie wanted Teodor to watch over him while he slept in Teodor's filth to administer medicine when the dirt starts to make him ill.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

smr posted:

No, Teodor is using Connie's room and Connie is sleeping in Teodor's. Hence when Connie wanted Teodor to watch over him while he slept in Teodor's filth to administer medicine when the dirt starts to make him ill.

No, T asked Connie to scour, as in clean, the room. That's why Onstad did the comparison shot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

smr posted:

Ohhh. This makes a lot more sense