Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I can almost always tell who is industry just by interacting with them for a few moments, if I or other staff don't recognize them outright. I'll comp something or send out a gift, give them some booze tastings, etc. It depends how much I like them/how important they are if they get large portions of their meal comped. They can pretty much always count on a free drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I've had stuff sent out to me on the house, and I've done the same for others. I've never heard of offering or being given an 'industry discount'. It would feel incredibly awkward to ask for one.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I've received/given stuff to people I knew personally, but I would probably never ask for an industry discount from someone I hadn't met before/was not familiar with.

I'm out of the industry now and it's still nice to get one now and again from people I knew years ago, but it's absolutely not ever expected.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've received/given stuff to people I knew personally, but I would probably never ask for an industry discount from someone I hadn't met before/was not familiar with.

I'm out of the industry now and it's still nice to get one now and again from people I knew years ago, but it's absolutely not ever expected.

This. I'm not in the industry any more, but people mistake me for still being a bartender and I've gotten more than a couple free drinks out of it. Never ask, though, that's just tacky - I order what I can afford.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If a place advertises industry night I'll ask what the story is with that, but yeah other than that it would be super awkward to ask outright for something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GigaFool posted:

I've had stuff sent out to me on the house, and I've done the same for others. I've never heard of offering or being given an 'industry discount'. It would feel incredibly awkward to ask for one.

Yeah, exactly. A couple of the chefs I do a lot of wholesale dessert deliveries for have hooked me up from time to time, but only the ones that know me on sight and I have a good relationship with. I'd never expect it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

OTOH, when I was still in the industry, I used to have people come in and brag about being a bartender at [insert shithole here] about once a month and promise to hook me up if I'd hook them up. I'd usually give them one free drink since I had a generous comp/spill tab, but gently caress em otherwise.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

gyrobot posted:

At least you are finished, I just getting back into work on a down note, having been snubbed to going to two meet ups I planned to go, one because my family forced me to not go to one and the other from one of my friends who other friends don't really appreciate my company. And tomorrow I have to clean steamed egg which is a complete bitch to clean up. Any advice on coping with last second anger issues so that I don't wind up losing my job?

Smoke weed.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I am being completely serious BTW in case you think I'm being glib or making a joke at your expense. You're dishpit. Its the one job back of house that can definitely, absolutely, 100% be done to perfection while utterly gerschtunkenfleunct. Furthermore, you have a repetitive manual task as your job. That owns. Put on some music with a strong beat and scrub in time while so stoned you're hard. Become one with that steamed egg, which is not steamed egg, but, in fact, comma, job insurance the likes of which mortal men can only dream of manifest before you in material guise as a glommed-on mess. Your lot is simple, you are measured in how many clean dishes you make. How hosed are they who must evaluate their worth through eldritch functions of adding "value" to an enterprise.

If you think I'm bullshitting you, you are not nearly high enough.

Also go to some motherfucking groups hermano, therapy is a longshot on dishpit salary but if you're proximal to a kindof sortof urban area there should be group meetings to get out what you're keeping in and you clearly need to get it out because it's poisoning you.

You make dirty dishes into clean dishes. Smoke weed like its your job because it is. Its at least the subtext, anyway.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
if you need it spelled out for you and/or are currently not smoking weed (which sounds probable from your posting tbqh) here is:

Willie Tomg's Patented Weed Procurement Strategy For Food Service WorkersTM: Proven across no less than three (3) United States!

*inhales, turns vaguely toward line but addresses all in earshot*

MAN I COULD SMOKE THE gently caress OUT OF A BOWL RIGHT NOW. IS ANYONE COOL IN THIS ROOM? WHERE THE WEED AT?

*get contact info of relevant individuals, turns back around, goes back to work*

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

This may sound really bad, but I think there's an overall skepticism of white dishwashers by the people who hire dishwashers. For better or for worse, they just don't want to deal with someone who isn't just going to put their head down and do the job without bitching or throwing an attitude, and in my experience that's often what you get when your dishwasher isn't fluent in Spanish. I don't necessarily agree with this philosophy in general, but that's just what I've seen in my time in the business. I also fully admit that I could never be a dishwasher, and if that were my only option, I would be unemployed.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

Smoke weed.

Tganks, will look into taking depressants or something similar

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

gyrobot posted:

Tganks, will look into taking depressants or something similar

Actually, weed is technically a hallucinogen. True most of us take to the drink, but I wouldn't recommend depressants for on the job.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Re: work.

If you aren't a manager, stop caring and just do your job, seek advancement when you have time, but don't try to be a hotshot because you'll just piss the management off.

Stop being a manbaby and scrub the drat egg whites off and do your job. Put on glove, get steel wool, scruuuuub.

Sorry if I'm being a dick, but that's a side effect of this industry.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Re: work.

If you aren't a manager, stop caring and just do your job, seek advancement when you have time, but don't try to be a hotshot because you'll just piss the management off.

Stop being a manbaby and scrub the drat egg whites off and do your job. Put on glove, get steel wool, scruuuuub.

Sorry if I'm being a dick, but that's a side effect of this industry.

I have no problems with that, it's just when poo poo from outside keeps piling up on you is what drives me insane.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

gyrobot posted:

I have no problems with that, it's just when poo poo from outside keeps piling up on you is what drives me insane.

You must work in a strange restaurant. None of the rest of us in the industry ever have to deal with outside poo poo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

if you need it spelled out for you and/or are currently not smoking weed (which sounds probable from your posting tbqh) here is:

Willie Tomg's Patented Weed Procurement Strategy For Food Service WorkersTM: Proven across no less than three (3) United States!

*inhales, turns vaguely toward line but addresses all in earshot*

MAN I COULD SMOKE THE gently caress OUT OF A BOWL RIGHT NOW. IS ANYONE COOL IN THIS ROOM? WHERE THE WEED AT?

*get contact info of relevant individuals, turns back around, goes back to work*

Please note, as someone who managed kitchens, I fired the gently caress out of idiots who pulled this sort of poo poo.

Score and/or get hosed up on your own time. Yes, I am the killer of fun, but if you can't do your job without being hosed up I don't have time for your dumb rear end. I didn't use to be this bitter, but after the number of idiots I had who'd try to smoke up in the employee bathrooms mid-shift...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

Please note, as someone who managed kitchens, I fired the gently caress out of idiots who pulled this sort of poo poo.

Score and/or get hosed up on your own time. Yes, I am the killer of fun, but if you can't do your job without being hosed up I don't have time for your dumb rear end. I didn't use to be this bitter, but after the number of idiots I had who'd try to smoke up in the employee bathrooms mid-shift...

I think dishpit is the one position I really would give an exception for. I mean christ. A. are you there washing dishes when you're supposed to be? Yes? ok : B. are the dishes coming out of your position acceptably clean? Yes? ok C: do whatever the gently caress you want I don't care. :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

I think dishpit is the one position I really would give an exception for. I mean christ. A. are you there washing dishes when you're supposed to be? Yes? ok : B. are the dishes coming out of your position acceptably clean? Yes? ok C: do whatever the gently caress you want I don't care. :)

so long as that is not mouthing off to more senior staff or participating in dramabombs, that is.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
OH NO SOMEONE WASHING DISHES MIGHT BE STONED!!!! *eyeroll*

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mindphlux posted:

And when your dishpit Stoner has to take a drug test for insurance reasons because he cut himself (like anyone can in dishpit), it's his manager and the business' rear end on the line for higher costs. Don't condone irreaponsible poo poo in dangerous workplaces.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I cannot fathom doing dishes all day and not being stoned. Hell, if you have to be sober you might as well do landscaping.

Here is a question, a friend and I have been arguing back and forth about minimum wage hikes and what, if any negative effects it would cause. Clearly restaurants both pay very low wages and seemingly operate on the brink of financial collapse. So my question is, what level of pay raises could the "average" small to medium independent place be able to swallow without being driven out of business?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

bunnielab posted:

I cannot fathom doing dishes all day and not being stoned. Hell, if you have to be sober you might as well do landscaping.

Here is a question, a friend and I have been arguing back and forth about minimum wage hikes and what, if any negative effects it would cause. Clearly restaurants both pay very low wages and seemingly operate on the brink of financial collapse. So my question is, what level of pay raises could the "average" small to medium independent place be able to swallow without being driven out of business?

I imagine places like these will also be getting more business as people can afford to go out more. It might suck in the short term for places on the brink, but I imagine long term it would be an overall benefit.

vv - :911:. I got drug tested once when I was cooking, and that was for a privately-owned country club. The chef told me pretty much verbatim "I don't know or care what you do on your off time, if you're able to pass a drug test now, we can do this now. If you need a week or two to clean up, let me know and we can do it then,". Health insurance providers and places you work for can also drop any semblance of liability if you test positive for something, because if you smoked weed last week, it obviously caused the fryer to belch hot grease all over your arm. - vv

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 17, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

And when your dishpit Stoner has to take a drug test for insurance reasons because he cut himself (like anyone can in dishpit), it's his manager and the business' rear end on the line for higher costs. Don't condone irreaponsible poo poo in dangerous workplaces.

Holy poo poo, the idea of drug testing employees that do not require a federal secret security clearance in my country is just a thing that does not ever happen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Holy poo poo, the idea of drug testing employees that do not require a federal secret security clearance in my country is just a thing that does not ever happen.

I take it you've never had to deal with an insurance agency trying to duck paying workmans' comp. It happens. :smith:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

bunnielab posted:

From my experience while the pay in most restaurants is bad, usually it's not actually minimum wage unless it's fast food or you're a server. The only places in my town that pay actual minimum wage are the lovely bar kitchens that are just there to get every last cent out of patrons, and this is in an area with higher than federal minimum wage, higher than national unemployment and an endless supply of cheap college student labor.

But let's assume that you've got a small place where everyone makes minimum wage. Most places aren't going to run a labor cost higher than 33%, so say you do $24k a week. That's $8k in labor costs. Even a 3% raise in minimum wage is only going to bump that up to $8,240 a week. If you can't cover that by raising prices a little or just eating the cost you were likely going out of business anyway. That's not to say that you can just bump up minimum wage to whatever without any ill effects - some of the more extreme proposals, such as a $15 minimum wage would need to at least be phased in slowly if nothing else, but any sort of actually feasible minimum wage increase is only going to drive out the most borderline cases.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
One of the reasons I totally quit smoking (I was only smoking a few times a year, never was a big stoner) is because I didn't have health insurance and I sure as gently caress wasn't gonna be on the line for a couple grand in hospital bills if I hurt myself bad enough to go to the ER. Totally not worth it to smoke.

But hey, do whatever and if you get hurt don't file workman's comp and you'll be fine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Crazy Larry posted:

From my experience while the pay in most restaurants is bad, usually it's not actually minimum wage unless it's fast food or you're a server. The only places in my town that pay actual minimum wage are the lovely bar kitchens that are just there to get every last cent out of patrons, and this is in an area with higher than federal minimum wage, higher than national unemployment and an endless supply of cheap college student labor.

But let's assume that you've got a small place where everyone makes minimum wage. Most places aren't going to run a labor cost higher than 33%, so say you do $24k a week. That's $8k in labor costs. Even a 3% raise in minimum wage is only going to bump that up to $8,240 a week. If you can't cover that by raising prices a little or just eating the cost you were likely going out of business anyway. That's not to say that you can just bump up minimum wage to whatever without any ill effects - some of the more extreme proposals, such as a $15 minimum wage would need to at least be phased in slowly if nothing else, but any sort of actually feasible minimum wage increase is only going to drive out the most borderline cases.

Yeah, the main people who would be affected by a minimum wage bump are fast food workers. The companies involved will bitch to high heaven despite being massively profitable because anything that makes them have to spend more money is a couple percentage points less they can't siphon out of the franchisees and into the corporate coffers.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
San Francisco has been paying $10.55 an hour for two years, I think it went to just under $11 with the start of the new year. California doesn't do any of the tipped-wage $2 an hour nonsense, either. We also have a Healthy SF surcharge added to each bill for a city-wide healthcare program, probably superfluous now, but was helpful for a few years there. Tons of new restaurants opened/ing, just as many people being hired and fired, I was making $17 + tips at my last restaurant to lead their cocktail program.

Stop buying into the restaurant owner bullshit that they'd go broke if they had to pay you a living wage, it's a loving joke and it's how they get away with tip pooling split with managers/BOH and all of that other loving nonsense. One or two well cocktails an hour pays your wage; the markup on liquor is 300% minimum. If they will go under if they have to pay you $8, they shouldn't be loving open.

Also, get stoned every day. If your job wants to drug test you to making minimum wage to wash dishes thats loving ridiculous. Having dated most of James Beard 30 under 30 and a lot of Michelin-starred chefs, you're lucky if they're not doing rails on the line.

California Uber Alles.

E: wrong number

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 17, 2014

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I think I'm seeing a slight misunderstanding--s/he's not saying the restaurant requires a drug test to work as a dishwasher, but rather, that in the event the workman's comp card gets played the insurance agency might call for one. Is that right?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

I think I'm seeing a slight misunderstanding--s/he's not saying the restaurant requires a drug test to work as a dishwasher, but rather, that in the event the workman's comp card gets played the insurance agency might call for one. Is that right?

Basically every restaurant's worker's comp insurance company in the US requires a drug test after an accident that results in a claim. So if you smoke weed you're effectively waiving your right to compensation if you get hurt on the job.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
At this point i may need a job with less travel time but a reference woth two warning letters may be a bad reference

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

Basically every restaurant's worker's comp insurance company in the US requires a drug test after an accident that results in a claim. So if you smoke weed you're effectively waiving your right to compensation if you get hurt on the job.

Also giving them the perfect excuse to fire you after getting hurt with no recourse.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Can o worms: tipping out boh is not bullshit because nobody goes somewhere with lovely food and great service unless its a strip club or hooters and servers could easily tip the kitchen 20% and still earn more than line cooks, per shift (and server shifts are shorter) in every fine dining place I've worked

E: that said ca laws are still better than most places

Manager tips are pretty shady though

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 18, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tipping out BOH is bullshit because it opens the door to classifying cooks as tipped employees, and given that much of BOH's work (prep, cleanup, etc) is done in times when there are no customers to serve, this would likely lead to everyone making roughly minimum wage.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That sounds dirty.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The restaurant relies on work that gets done whenever it gets done. The tips that we do get boh (minor) are split evenly between the people who prep all day and the people who use that prep all night on the line.

Why would it be otherwise

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Tipping out BOH is bullshit because it allows your shady employer to hire you for a pittance wage by floating it out of the tips of FOH, who are the ones who serve and interact with customers. In states where tipped employee wages are less, it makes it possible to classify cooks/prep people as tipped employees, as the poster above pointed out.

Your employer ought to pay you a living wage, not use a bullshit tip split to keep wages artificially low.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Tipping out BOH is bullshit because it opens the door to classifying cooks as tipped employees, and given that much of BOH's work (prep, cleanup, etc) is done in times when there are no customers to serve, this would likely lead to everyone making roughly minimum wage.

Someone attempting to pull that is bullshit, and while I'm sure it does happen anyone that stays in a job like that (where you're paid less than minimum wage and you're doing anything not-serving) needs to seriously reconsider their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Naelyan posted:

Someone attempting to pull that is bullshit, and while I'm sure it does happen anyone that stays in a job like that (where you're paid less than minimum wage and you're doing anything not-serving) needs to seriously reconsider their lives.

Has, "If you don't like it, you can leave" -ever- actually been true?

• Locked thread