Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Get a bunch of friends together and get hammered while watching Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. It is a drat blast if you don't really pay it any real attention.

I just started Attack on Titan. Wow. I haven't watched any anime in years, and boy was this an excellent place to start. The titans are terrifying and the show does an outstanding job of creating an oppressive atmosphere. If you have trouble suspending your disbelief, or you're one of those people who just dismiss anime because anime :jerkbag:, then you probably won't enjoy this very much. But I would urge you to give it one or two episodes because I am completely hooked.

Unfortunately this is one of those series that starts strong and then budget/schedule problems severely screw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TTBF posted:

Unfortunately this is one of those series that starts strong and then budget/schedule problems severely screw it.

I'm 11 episodes in so far and still enjoying it very much. However I also think the show is going to try to explain the Titans, which will probably be hugely disappointing for me.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I watched this movie like once a week when I was 3 or 4 and I'm afraid to watch it again and pull away the nostalgia veil :ohdear:

It still ages well. They just had horrible childhoods.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chichevache posted:

I'm 11 episodes in so far and still enjoying it very much. However I also think the show is going to try to explain the Titans, which will probably be hugely disappointing for me.

From what I've read that's a yes and no.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

TTBF posted:

I disagree entirely.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

TTBF posted:

I could have sworn I saw someone mention in another thread that there's a slightly altered version of episodes that has some redone design and animation. Not that that really will have that much affect on story, but I found some examples of the difference in design from the TV to BD release of the series. I found it sort of interesting that I guess the show must be popular enough to justify going through the trouble.

Not sure what version Netflix, Hulu, etc. are showing though or how much those differences ultimately make to the show when watching it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
For some reason my roommate decided to throw on the 30 for 30 about Tonya Harding. I was 10 when everything occurred so I know who the people involved were but I never knew any of the background. Watching a teenaged girl tell her mother she placed 6th in the country and get told she didn't do good enough was heartbreaking. The woman was going to the Olympics and training at a mall skating rink. And then once everything happened she was hounded by the press to the point that they would hire a tow truck to move her car to get her outside for a photo and to shove a mic in her face. I can't imagine how horrible that must have been.

But then again she probably did tell her husband that something bad should happen to Nancy Karrigan.

I kinda almost fainted from rolling my eyes too hard when Nancy Karrigan's friend implied she didn't win gold because of 'politics', however.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

computer parts posted:

From what I've read that's a yes and no.

Well good. I really love the bleakness of the show so far (episode 18), and having them do a happy ending just feels so wrong.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Get a bunch of friends together and get hammered while watching Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. It is a drat blast if you don't really pay it any real attention.

I just started Attack on Titan. Wow. I haven't watched any anime in years, and boy was this an excellent place to start. The titans are terrifying and the show does an outstanding job of creating an oppressive atmosphere. If you have trouble suspending your disbelief, or you're one of those people who just dismiss anime because anime :jerkbag:, then you probably won't enjoy this very much. But I would urge you to give it one or two episodes because I am completely hooked.
This isn't dubbed yet is it? I know I may be in the minority but I really do loathe reading subtitles.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

For some reason my roommate decided to throw on the 30 for 30 about Tonya Harding. I was 10 when everything occurred so I know who the people involved were but I never knew any of the background. Watching a teenaged girl tell her mother she placed 6th in the country and get told she didn't do good enough was heartbreaking. The woman was going to the Olympics and training at a mall skating rink. And then once everything happened she was hounded by the press to the point that they would hire a tow truck to move her car to get her outside for a photo and to shove a mic in her face. I can't imagine how horrible that must have been.

But then again she probably did tell her husband that something bad should happen to Nancy Karrigan.

I kinda almost fainted from rolling my eyes too hard when Nancy Karrigan's friend implied she didn't win gold because of 'politics', however.

The first half makes you feel sorry for Harding but by the end she just comes across as a huge liar like everyone thought she was. I was believing her up until they talked about the note found in the garbage. Tonya said "they analyzed the handwriting and it didn't match" <cut to DA> "The handwriting was shown to match hers." And then everything after that point just made her look worse and worse. It made the media look pretty bad as well. And actually they didn't show much to humanize Karrigan either so she came across with a holier-than-thou attitude. I wish they had gotten her to do an interview.

The film didn't really change my opinions like I thought it might, but it's a really good 30 for 30. I didn't remember much about the case apart from everybody hating Harding so I never thought there was any doubt that she was responsible. It was pretty interesting to learn the specifics.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

This isn't dubbed yet is it? I know I may be in the minority but I really do loathe reading subtitles.

I don't know and I don't care to check, you philistine. :colbert:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Pycckuu posted:

I watched Zodiac last night and it was very good. Are there any more crime drama/police investigation movies that are really worth checking out?

If you have Amazon Prime and you're not against watching a series, you owe it to yourself to watch Hannibal. It's honestly some of the best tv I've ever seen. I came in as a skeptical fan of the books and have been totally blown away by it.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Pycckuu posted:

I watched Zodiac last night and it was very good. Are there any more crime drama/police investigation movies that are really worth checking out?

I doubt this is streaming but absolutely watch Memories of a Murder.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

empty sea posted:

I just watched Trollhunter because of this thread and I swear, this is movie is set dead right in the Supernatural universe. Hans is like Bobby Singer's Norwegian penpal. Just awesome.

I don't think I've loved any idea more :allears:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Stumiester posted:

And if you like any of this style of noir crime drama, you absolutely owe it to yourself to watch the original Swedish The Killing, which really is the progenitor for all of this (I'm pretty sure all 3 seasons up on UK netflix), and the original Danish/Sweedish The Bridge, which is also sublime.

Okay, so I'm curious about the original for The Bridge, but worried that I'll spoil S2 of the US one, which I'm definitely enjoying. How close are the two?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yeah, it's very bizarre looking back on it. I was in 5th grade at the time, and Tonya and Nancy seemed so old. To me, these were adults. But looking at it now, no, they were just teenage girls.

Edit: Nevermind. They were 24 and 25.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 17, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Harding had a hosed up family life. Jesus.

I want to believe she was completely innocent, but if she's not, while I can't condone what she did its easier to see how she'd snap and do something like that.

It was really funny when they talked about how she wasn't the right kind of skater, and Kerrigan was. Meaning, graceful/pretty. Things were a lot different back then in terms of styling/fashion/makeup. None of them look pretty compared to today's style.

Back then, and today, I'm pretty sure that while most people thought Harding was trashy looking, no one really thought Kerrigan was pretty. She looked like a god drat horse.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Well good. I really love the bleakness of the show so far (episode 18), and having them do a happy ending just feels so wrong.

If you're on episode 18 already and still enjoying it then more power to you but the show does fall into a pattern of 1 good episode where they have an okay budget to animate titans and then 3-4 episodes around it which are basically monlogues/flashbacks and time fillers, and very little happens.

I'd say the last 7-8 episodes could of been covered in 3 tops and probably 2.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 18, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Doctor Butts posted:

Back then, and today, I'm pretty sure that while most people thought Harding was trashy looking, no one really thought Kerrigan was pretty. She looked like a god drat horse.

I always enjoy a little Internet Male with my Netflix chat.

Ballistic Anomaly
Dec 29, 2008
I saw this and had to post it in this thread since it's so true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Bm2WUYBxU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Ballistic Anomaly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Bm2WUYBxU

Hah, I just came here to literally post that. Hits too close to home at points.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

This is Hulu not Netflix, but in case anyone's tempted by the "insightful" and "engaging" pull quotes about Behind the Mask plastered everywhere, don't bother. They were advertising it like a prestige documentary series like you might expect from Netflix, but it's boilerplate reality TV with events drawn out to 5 minutes by repeating everything before/after breaks, b-roll establishing shots with stock music before each segment, etc. I was getting new ads today that were more honest about the tone, at least.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ballistic Anomaly posted:

I'm convinced that the reason they don't allow you to browse their selection or add stuff to your queue if you're not currently subscribed is because it's 90% of what people do with Netflix. If they let you do that for free, most of their userbase wouldn't even bother subscribing.

My usual process for Netflix is that most of the time I'm not subscribed, but if I hear of even a single movie that I actually want to see I'll subscribe just for that movie. Then I'll get the fringe benefits of access to shows I may or may not watch and one or two documentaries that look interesting. I'll watch three or four things, a handful of TV shows and then unsub after a month.

But then that's not really an indictment against Netflix. They have a ton of really good movies, the problem is that I've seen hundreds of movies so chances are if there's something good on there I'll have already seen it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

King Vidiot posted:

I'm convinced that the reason they don't allow you to browse their selection or add stuff to your queue if you're not currently subscribed is because it's 90% of what people do with Netflix. If they let you do that for free, most of their userbase wouldn't even bother subscribing.

My usual process for Netflix is that most of the time I'm not subscribed, but if I hear of even a single movie that I actually want to see I'll subscribe just for that movie. Then I'll get the fringe benefits of access to shows I may or may not watch and one or two documentaries that look interesting. I'll watch three or four things, a handful of TV shows and then unsub after a month.

But then that's not really an indictment against Netflix. They have a ton of really good movies, the problem is that I've seen hundreds of movies so chances are if there's something good on there I'll have already seen it.

See, I don't understand this at all. I've had over 100 discs in my queue literally every day since I signed up in 2004, and since they added streaming, 100 titles in there too. And I watch at least one thing almost every day. I don't understand how there can be not enough for you to want to watch, unless you only watch anything one time and never again.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

King Vidiot posted:

Why would they allow non-users the ability to make a queue? A queue of what? Movies you can't watch? Would you go into a restaurant and fake-order off the menu and look at and smell all the other tables' food just for fun?

LloydDobler posted:

See, I don't understand this at all. I've had over 100 discs in my queue literally every day since I signed up in 2004, and since they added streaming, 100 titles in there too. And I watch at least one thing almost every day. I don't understand how there can be not enough for you to want to watch, unless you only watch anything one time and never again.

Instant has lots of movies that you kinda want to watch but maybe there's something better on the next screen so you just keep going. That's the joke.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Are any of Wong Kar-wai's films available on American netflix?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Magical Zero posted:

Are any of Wong Kar-wai's films available on American netflix?

Happy Together
As Tears Goes By
Days of Being Wild
Fallen Angels

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

morestuff posted:

Happy Together
As Tears Goes By
Days of Being Wild
Fallen Angels
Thanks!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

they just announced the voice actors last week, it's coming but you're an awful person for preferring dubs over subs.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Photex posted:

they just announced the voice actors last week, it's coming but you're an awful person for preferring dubs over subs.

Haha yeah, he's such a terrible person for wanting to watch his anime in English.

Piece of poo poo. :jerkbag:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mysterious frankie posted:

my favorite part is that it's a plot point that Hansel has diabetes from witch candy and needs to take ye olde insulin injections to live. seems like it should be the punchline to a joke in The Far Side, but nope.

I was surprised by all the 80s-esque over the top violence like a guy exploding from a witch curse into a pile of guts or Peter Stormare's character getting his crushed by a angry troll.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

LloydDobler posted:

I have to really want to watch something in order to watch it. There are plenty of movies I've seen more than once, or are "any time movies" that I can put on no matter what mood I'm in. I'm not always in the mood to watch whatever Netflix is offering, whether or not I've already seen it.

Human Tornada posted:

Why would they allow non-users the ability to make a queue? A queue of what? Movies you can't watch? Would you go into a restaurant and fake-order off the menu and look at and smell all the other tables' food just for fun?

I was pretty much joking, but Instantwatcher aside there's also no way to know what Netflix is offering unless you're already a paid subscriber. And you'd add stuff to your queue for the same reason you'd do if you had paid, so that you could (not) watch it later.

For me it's more of an interface thing. I'm logged into their website, it's my account, so why can't I use all of the features outside of actually watching the paid content? What if I wanted to look at my queue to see what I still haven't seen yet, and what's still available to stream? What if I want to clean a bunch of stuff out that I'll never watch, or if I want to add some stuff in for the next time I feel like subscribing?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's not your account if you don't pay for it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Inudeku posted:

Haha yeah, he's such a terrible person for wanting to watch his anime in English.

Piece of poo poo. :jerkbag:

So we can't engage in playful hyperbole anymore? That's the dumbest poo poo I ever heard.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
I am watching "The Story of Film: An Odyssey" and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

The narrator's voice and delivery are a bit boring, but the narrative he draws through the history of cinema is compelling. It definitely skips over a great deal of important works and genres. For example it spends half an hour talking about gangster flicks in the 30s but completely ignores westerns.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest, it's good right before bed material.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

So we can't engage in playful hyperbole anymore? That's the dumbest poo poo I ever heard.

No, that post was playful hyperbole too for sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even if you're not particularly into sports, Schooled: The Price of College Sports is a pretty fascinating look at how hosed up the whole system is.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Walking Dad posted:

I am watching "The Story of Film: An Odyssey" and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

The narrator's voice and delivery are a bit boring, but the narrative he draws through the history of cinema is compelling. It definitely skips over a great deal of important works and genres. For example it spends half an hour talking about gangster flicks in the 30s but completely ignores westerns.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest, it's good right before bed material.

I've watched the first couple of episodes and the narrator is really weird. He ends every sentence with an upward inflection and it bothers me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, if Catfish wasn't insane and :stare: enough for you, watch talhotblonde (sic). It's not as crazy as Tabloid, but it's up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The disney atlantis movie is surprisingly good, i had no idea. Like im pretty sure The Core is a rip off of this movie

E its also got elements of fern gully/avatar, the matrix, and interstella 5555

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 21, 2014

• Locked thread