Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ChaosArgate posted:

Just a quick FYI, he's switched to direct capture. There was a big stink from his fanbase over the switch, but his stuff is actually not awful to at least look at.

wait wait wait his fans LIKED the camcorder? :psyduck: WHY!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DoctorWhat posted:

For the same reason they'd watch an unboxing video without any actual unboxing. His fans are just as incompetent at watching better videos apparently, so he's a role model for people too dumb to do basic stuff without loving it up.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mega64 posted:

For the same reason they'd watch an unboxing video without any actual unboxing. His fans are just as incompetent at watching better videos apparently, so he's a role model for people too dumb to do basic stuff without loving it up.

Oh man they are so bad; I looked in the comments of his first part of either MGS4 or No More Heroes (this is the one I saw where he left the 10 minutes of install time) and I didn't see one complaint about his crap and I saw praise for how he is the ideal let's player!

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
What's the point of an unboxing video, anyway? Like why would they record themselves just opening a box to a game?

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Tobias Grant posted:

What's the point of an unboxing video, anyway? Like why would they record themselves just opening a box to a game?

Well, as we've seen, they don't actually need to do the second part anyway.

It's literally a worthless video, and yet views.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Tobias Grant posted:

With the right attitude, they can be alright.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tobias Grant posted:

an unboxing video is basically Christmas that nobody invited you to.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Back when the Duke Nukem Forever demo came out, I watched someone, who I now think might have been DSP play it, loving camcordering their PC to do so. A couple of people in the contents asked why he doesn't use FRAPS or whatever and the response from several of his fans was "fraps introduces lag".

:psyduck:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fraps can drop your frame-rate if you're not running a very good computer. The appeal of things like Shadowplay is that it doesn't take up computer resources to capture video. That's what they meant by lag, and it's not an entirely unfair statement. The reason he was using a camcorder is because he's a moron though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Right, but even dropping a couple of settings or getting a faster HDD to help with FRAPS (or just using Dxtory or Afterburner, which were both around then I'm pretty sure) would have made for better "quality" (a term I use loosely for DSP) viewing. And.. you know, been easier to manage than having to pop up a tripod in front of your monitor, play with that in the way, get the file off the camcorder and throw it on to Youtube.

Then again, this is DSP.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Right, but even dropping a couple of settings or getting a faster HDD to help with FRAPS (or just using Dxtory or Afterburner, which were both around then I'm pretty sure) would have made for better "quality" (a term I use loosely for DSP) viewing. And.. you know, been easier to manage than having to pop up a tripod in front of your monitor, play with that in the way, get the file off the camcorder and throw it on to Youtube.

Then again, this is DSP.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't DSP, because he has maintained a view that games are not meant to be played on the PC. I think his first time recording PC games was he Witcher 2.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

Just a quick FYI, he's switched to direct capture. There was a big stink from his fanbase over the switch, but his stuff is actually not awful to at least look at.

I'm not so sure of that. It is my understanding that he only uses direct capture for the streaming capabilities, but still uses his camcorder for all other gaming videos. So any videos that aren't done at the same time as a stream are going to be filmed off his TV. My only experience with his playthroughs has been the "This is how you DON'T play" series and the Kojima World Order stuff, but I thought a lot of the stuff was recent and a lot of the stuff was camcorder.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Back when the Duke Nukem Forever demo came out, I watched someone, who I now think might have been DSP play it, loving camcordering their PC to do so. A couple of people in the contents asked why he doesn't use FRAPS or whatever and the response from several of his fans was "fraps introduces lag".

His Black Mesa videos were done with his camcorder recording his monitor.

What a glorious experience that was to watch.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 18, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Brassherald posted:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't DSP, because he has maintained a view that games are not meant to be played on the PC. I think his first time recording PC games was he Witcher 2.

Went and found it, it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zdhNqhKKco

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jamesman posted:

I'm not so sure of that. It is my understanding that he only uses direct capture for the streaming capabilities, but still uses his camcorder for all other gaming videos. So any videos that aren't done at the same time as a stream are going to be filmed off his TV. My only experience with his playthroughs has been the "This is how you DON'T play" series and the Kojima World Order stuff, but I thought a lot of the stuff was recent and a lot of the stuff was camcorder.

He streams everything he plays now, afaik. He then uses the same stream footage to put up on his YouTube(s). He even streams his Q+A things.

Everything he does is for the almighty $$$, he's not going to stream specific things and then play other things off stream when he could be getting ad money on them. A bunch of the how not to play videos are new uploads of games from his archives from pre-capture card days.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wow, I was wrong, really surprised his response to "Why not FRAPS?" wasn't "I have a camcorder! Getting FRAPS would be stupid."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

PAMaster posted:

Well, as we've seen, they don't actually need to do the second part anyway.

It's literally a worthless video, and yet views.

To be fair, the people wondering how he got so popular are answering their own question every time they watch one of his videos because "look how stupid this guy is!"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

If you're an autistic nerd, any and all change is absolutely terrifying. Liking something has nothing to do with it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DSP is a neverending resource of comedy at this point more than he is a YouTuber. Just post a million videos a day, make contradictory statements in the comments and mark anyone who calls you out as spam. A few months later people will have cut together your worst/best moments from that LP while pulling comments like "The chat didn't help me with the game at all" up on screen when you state "Thanks for everyone in the chat that told me to...".

Seriously, we should thanks Phil for not only showing us how to not play games, but for the countless hours of entertainment he provides us with via failure supercuts.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

my dad posted:

To be fair, the people wondering how he got so popular are answering their own question every time they watch one of his videos because "look how stupid this guy is!"

Honestly, I'm not sure I want him to stop! There's just no like bottom; it's incredible!

That said, I genuinely don't think I can make it through his videos (I can't even make it through the "This is how you DON'T play" videos, because they're so long).

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I've tried to watch his videos a couple of times - other than that 17-minute long one that basically highlights his "my fans are cunts" quips, I haven't managed a single full playthrough.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Roar posted:

I've tried to watch his videos a couple of times - other than that 17-minute long one that basically highlights his "my fans are cunts" quips, I haven't managed a single full playthrough.

I actually did want to see how he'd react to the surprise twist in the Bell Gargoyle boss fight of Dark Souls, but I couldn't find which video it was because they're all just Dark Souls playthrough part ___. All his videos are like that.

I really don't think he likes games as much as he thinks he does. He just sort of slogs through them for video content.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

slowbeef posted:

I actually did want to see how he'd react to the surprise twist in the Bell Gargoyle boss fight of Dark Souls, but I couldn't find which video it was because they're all just Dark Souls playthrough part ___. All his videos are like that.

I really don't think he likes games as much as he thinks he does. He just sort of slogs through them for video content.

Ask and ye shall receive...

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

slowbeef posted:

That said, I genuinely don't think I can make it through his videos (I can't even make it through the "This is how you DON'T play" videos, because they're so long).

Some of the TIHYDP videos are really bad (Like any of the fighting game stuff), but some are genuinely entertaining despite their length.

If you want to see some funny stuff relating to DSP, though, check out the channel MrLewdacris, he has a few where he plays DarkSydeLewds. My personal favorite is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0NBWM2gU0o

EDIT: Appropriately, the beginning of the Bell Gargoyle video is when he can't cast heal and is complaining that no one can explain how to cast it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I can't be the only one here who would love to see Ice-T do a lets play.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Haha, I just found it.

I can't actually fault him terribly on that. He almost had that boss first try, which is pretty impressive as I understand it. (I guess I could complain he has the Drake Sword, but eh.) But yeah, I mean, this is part 33 and I don't have much desire to see other stuff.

edit: I tried looking for Ornstein & Smough, but apparently, at some point he gives up and does it on stream, and then just starts summoning his fans to help him fight the bosses, so eh.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 18, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

slowbeef posted:

The second you start saying things like "Playing games is my job" constantly or doing video logs about how you need to play and upload game footage all the time you probably don't enjoy games anymore because you feel obligated to play them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Brassherald posted:

Some of the TIHYDP videos are really bad (Like any of the fighting game stuff), but some are genuinely entertaining despite their length.

The best ones are the Metal Gear ones, but it's really annoying if you like the series because the bad jokes, teenager tier sexual humour and casual racism in Metal Gear Solid 1's one is horrid.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

His constant cursing really is the first indicator that he is emotionally still a 7th grader. When you are just smart enough to be truly annoying,

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sneaky Fast posted:

His constant cursing really is the first indicator that he is emotionally still a 7th grader.

Wow, this some loving bullshit right here

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure I want him to stop! There's just no like bottom; it's incredible!

The "This is how you DON'T play" videos are enlightening. They're not at all about showing how Phil plays games badly, but how Phil is contradictory in his comments, constantly blaming everything but himself when he fails, actively refuses to listen or pay attention to anything, is obnoxious, childish, inconsiderate, racist, and disturbingly violently sexual.

When they say "This is how you DON'T play," they mean "This is how you DON'T function as a human being among other human beings."

slowbeef posted:

He explicitly said in his Dark Souls playthrough that he said that he wouldn't even be playing the game if he wasn't getting paid for it. He's admitted he doesn't like games and is only doing it for money.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jamesman posted:

He explicitly said in his Dark Souls playthrough that he said that he wouldn't even be playing the game if he wasn't getting paid for it. He's admitted he doesn't like games and is only doing it for money.

This is what I don't get. If this is just a poo poo-pay job for him, why doesn't he get an actual job that he'd probably hate less and would get work experience, benefits, etc.

Tho I suppose if you yell at your games you don't get fired so that's probably why

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jamesman posted:

He also seems to think every other LPer is in it for the money as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAgksOpY2wA

After having a hissy fit over Nintendo's whole ad claiming from last year, he decides to throw his Wii U into a trash bin.

Genocyber posted:

This is what I don't get. If this is just a poo poo-pay job for him, why doesn't he get an actual job that he'd probably hate less and would get work experience, benefits, etc.

Tho I suppose if you yell at your games you don't get fired so that's probably why

He complained that no one was hiring and refused to actually go look elsewhere for a job.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

ChaosArgate posted:

He also seems to think every other LPer is in it for the money as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAgksOpY2wA

After having a hissy fit over Nintendo's whole ad claiming from last year, he decides to throw his Wii U into a trash bin.

Please - please - tell me that he throws away his loving system in this video. I'm going to be super sad if I have to sit through his annoying voice if there's not that payoff at the end.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Roar posted:

Please - please - tell me that he throws away his loving system in this video. I'm going to be super sad if I have to sit through his annoying voice if there's not that payoff at the end.

I'm sorry, I found the wrong video. It was this one where he throws it in a trash bin.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

He complained that no one was hiring and refused to actually go look elsewhere for a job.

He also claims to have a chronically bad back and couldn't do a real job. Just ignore the videos he uploads where he dances around and seems to display no discomfort with his back whatsoever. It's probably just a good day.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't think he's really capable of getting/keeping a real job. Even if he doesn't like LPing, he earns enough money to live on from rolling out of bed in the morning and sitting on a sofa playing video games badly for hours. It requires basically no practical knowledge or teamwork or anything, and against all odds, the lack of communication skills and common sense appears to not hinder this in the same way it would anything else.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I love how him talking over a game somehow makes everything in the video his but Chip and Slowbeef talking over his video is stealing.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm sorry, I found the wrong video. It was this one where he throws it in a trash bin.

That's okay. The first video was pretty interesting in its own right and thankfully didn't have too much of his terrible loving voice.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

He also claims to have a chronically bad back and couldn't do a real job. Just ignore the videos he uploads where he dances around and seems to display no discomfort with his back whatsoever. It's probably just a good day.

If he has chronic back pain, that could be the narcotics.

In fact, judging by Rush Limbaugh, everything about DSP could be explained by a poo poo load of pain pills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

kirbysuperstar posted:

You know, my dad once told me that you need the "stimulus" of a laugh track to help you know when something in a sitcom is funny.

He didn't notice the irony either.

• Locked thread