Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Collateral Damage posted:

Yeesh, yeah that's a completely different problem. Although if you know about it you could set up a dummy NFS server with a bunch of DNS and/or IP aliases so that the mount attempts will at least succeed.

No one knew about them, or remembered what the old servers were. I had to log in via console and kill the processes trying to connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The only thing I'd consider doubling up on for people who use laptops is a power adapter so they can leave one in the office and the other one in their bag. For everything else you can pick the primary location you want to work from.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Caged posted:

The only thing I'd consider doubling up on for people who use laptops is a power adapter so they can leave one in the office and the other one in their bag. For everything else you can pick the primary location you want to work from.

If they have a docking station they don't need two power adapters.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

GreenNight posted:

Generally, docking stations require a laptop power adapter. IIRC dell docking stations don't come with an additional one.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Generally, docking stations require a laptop power adapter. IIRC dell docking stations don't come with an additional one.

All the HP docks I've purchased for the past decade came with its own power adapter. The user doesn't need two laptop adapters is what I'm getting at.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

The idea is there are three locations:

Docking station
Meeting room at work
At home

A four hour meeting would easily kill my laptop without the cord.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah we don't let users keep a cord at home. They need to bring it into the office if they want to use it at meetings and such.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The ones we order do. They usually come with a bigger one (145watt?) than what comes with the laptop itself (90watt).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paladine_PSoT posted:

IIRC dell docking stations don't come with an additional one.

Yeah, they do, and it's the biggest one to cope with all the laptops.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The client I work at most frequently issues ThinkPads with ThinkPad OneLink docks. The power adapters are the same, so everybody gets two - one for their dock and one for their laptop.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

baquerd posted:

Docking station
Meeting room at work
At home

A four hour meeting would easily kill my laptop without the cord.

We just have 2-3 power adapters in each meeting room instead, zip tied to the cable tray in the table so people won't run off with them.

Also I'm so sorry you have to endure four hour meetings. I usually start nodding off after 15 minutes.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
I'm working out of the main office instead of the client site this week. Hazzah.

Not a tech issue, but still a worrying one. I got here this morning and there was no workstation for me, they had given away my old desktop I used before being transferred to the client site full time. I found out that sometime in the last six months they started making all new employees buy their workstations. They tried to push that on me, I told them it wasn't going to happen.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

I'm working out of the main office instead of the client site this week. Hazzah.

Not a tech issue, but still a worrying one. I got here this morning and there was no workstation for me, they had given away my old desktop I used before being transferred to the client site full time. I found out that sometime in the last six months they started making all new employees buy their workstations. They tried to push that on me, I told them it wasn't going to happen.

Whaaaaaaat?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

blackswordca posted:

Wow, just when I didn't think your work place was ridiculous enough.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Everyone gets a workstation, except for blackswordca. That's the new policy.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

blackswordca posted:

I found out that sometime in the last six months they started making all new employees buy their workstations. They tried to push that on me, I told them it wasn't going to happen.

BYOD is so loving stupid. There are only a couple of things that would make me quit my job, and that is one of them.

CatsOnTheInternet fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 18, 2014

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Buy their own workstation? I'd turn my rear end around and walk right back out the door if I showed up for my first day at a job and they told me that.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Everyone gets a workstation, except for blackswordca. That's the new policy.

its all my fault :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

BYOD is so loving stupid. There are only a couple of things that would make me quit my job, and that is one of them.

I don't even mind BYOD as long as you design your infrastructure around it. Forced BYOD is just corporate theft, especially in that situation.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Gunjin posted:

Buy their own workstation? I'd turn my rear end around and walk right back out the door if I showed up for my first day at a job and they told me that.

Give me a $2000 starting bonus and I'll bring my own device.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BYOD is great when it means "here's £40 a month, go get yourself a phone". If it means "we want you to buy the equipment you need to do your job" then it's bullshit.

loving :lol: at a company expecting staff to buy their own desktops. Even more loving :lol: is that people said "ok" and then went to Best Buy or whatever to buy some shitbox with a Home version of an OS on it.

"Err yeah sorry guys when we said Buy Your Own Device we actually meant Buy Your Own PC, desk, chair and phone. Sorry about that. I'm also going to need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday, OK?"

I feel sorry for anyone who has to support the circus-themed mess that must ensue from these bad choices.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 18, 2014

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

GreenNight posted:

Give me a $2000 starting bonus and I'll bring my own device.

It would take a hell of a lot more than a $2000 bonus to replace my workstation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gunjin posted:

It would take a hell of a lot more than a $2000 bonus to replace my workstation.

Jesus, you using 8 monitors or something silly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Caged posted:

BYOD is great when it means "here's £40 a month, go get yourself a phone". If it means "we want you to buy the equipment you need to do your job" then it's bullshit.
Yeah, BYOD within reason is good. "Here's your personal device budget. Pick from this catalog what laptop, phone and whatever else you want. Company insures them, but if you break them the deductible is coming from your budget."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

blackswordca, you should definitely turn up with a Raspberry Pi and present it to the on-site IT as your workstation that you need setting up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
BYOD means Bring your own device, not Buy your own device. Maybe they got the acronym wrong? Either way, I'd walk if there wasn't reimbursement.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Caged posted:

blackswordca, you should definitely turn up with a Raspberry Pi and present it to the on-site IT as your workstation that you need setting up.

I think ive got an old P3 966 kicking around somewhere. I think ill throw Ubuntu on it and call it a day.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Sickening posted:

Jesus, you using 8 monitors or something silly.

Video editing: 12 core Mac Pro, 10 bit broadcast monitor, 30" apple cinema display, 23" Apple Cinema Display, SAS card, video capture card, Wave panel then a separate laptop to connect to the corporate e-mail and exchange calendar.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What the gently caress is next? Bring your own wages?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If they are that poor that they can't buy a $600 PC for their staff then maybe they should move out of their office and have everyone work from home?

Or just be better at doing business things.

When do you get the all-users email telling you to bring your own bog roll?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

Jesus.
Wept.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Flipperwaldt posted:

What the gently caress is next? Bring your own wages?

You will need to find your own sponsors.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Guys it's been three years since Buy Your Own Device was founded, and financially it's been great for my budget which doesn't include the cost of ongoing support or the livers of our IT department person.

But you'll have noticed that it's all getting a bit slow and unreliable now. So today I'm happy to announce the 'Replace Your Own Device' initiative'. Our dedicated IT team guy will migrate all your data regardless of where you've saved it, and your old desktops will be donated to charity as a tax writeoff. I hear Walmart have some good deals on at the moment, so be quick!"

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Gunjin posted:

Video editing: 12 core Mac Pro, 10 bit broadcast monitor, 30" apple cinema display, 23" Apple Cinema Display, SAS card, video capture card, Wave panel then a separate laptop to connect to the corporate e-mail and exchange calendar.

Well I guess both the IT staff and general employees at Pixar alike can rejoice that they're not going BYOD any time soon :toot:

For me, apparently the word in 2014 is "SUSTAINABILITY." If someone could tell me all about that I'd appreciate it thanks

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you asked me to define it then I'd say it means looking into thin-clients to reduce the replacement cycle of end user hardware, or replacing old desktops with newer more efficient ones if they are unsuitable for VDI. As well as upgrading meeting rooms to use video conferencing more effectively to reduce the need to travel around.

Seeing as the person who said it is the type of person who arranges meetings though it probably means "achieve x with no money and no you can't fix old broken things".

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Lo and behold, this "sustainability" is the missing puzzle piece in our theoretical perfect BYOD environment :ghost:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Roargasm posted:

Well I guess both the IT staff and general employees at Pixar alike can rejoice that they're not going BYOD any time soon :toot:

For me, apparently the word in 2014 is "SUSTAINABILITY." If someone could tell me all about that I'd appreciate it thanks
Wipe your nose with previously used toilet paper.

Or maybe it's the other way around. Either way, squeeze every square inch of use out of the bum paper.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The Be Your Own Dentist program was pretty rough.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

KoRMaK posted:

Wipe your nose with previously used toilet paper.

Or maybe it's the other way around. Either way, squeeze every square inch of use out of the bum paper.

That's why paper has two sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Just rebooting a machine that has been running for a number of years usually isn't a problem. The problem comes when you have to shut it down for a period of time and things like hard drive bearings cool down.

e: And/or you discover that your CMOS battery is dead.

Even better is when it is something like a Cisco router and the Cisco admin has been making a number of changes to the running config over the years but didn't actually save it as the boot config.

Sirotan posted:

We've already gotten in one of the three servers for this project along with a bunch of switches and expensive cabling. We're kind of at the mercy of Dell now as we really can't switch manufacturers. :(

You don't actually switch to HP gear, just ensure the Dell rep knows you are thinking about it due to the supply issues.

• Locked thread