Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

DWK posted:

May I present Meg Ryan...

No. I have no idea either...

Old school hollywood, washed up hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 23, 2014

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?

Original Character do not steal.

(I really just wanted to see how close you could get to the real thing)

Girl Games.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Senerio posted:

One of my favorite character creators.
Original Pokemon trainer do not steal.

"I'm sorry, peasants. Did you think you could match my glorious golden magicarp?"
Also I am an albino.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I'm trying to imagine the audience for a Mitt Romney dress-up game. There can't be anyone on this planet that believes it was a good idea.

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!

You are a wonderful, wonderful human being Geop.

Also, if you say the name "Deuce Gorgon" into a mirror 3 times, he comes to steal your soul. It's so insidious because how could you not want to say that name???

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Dr.Smasher posted:

I'm trying to imagine the audience for a Mitt Romney dress-up game. There can't be anyone on this planet that believes it was a good idea.

I don't think there's enough :psyduck: in the world for all the games in that video, really.

I can only imagine the thought process is something like "We need some character or personality people will recognise so we get ad impressions. Something, anything! Er... Stay Puft Marshmallow Man! Okay, churn out a cookie-cutter Stay Puft Marshmallow Man dress-up game."

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I don't think anything can top Mitt Romney dress-up. Every single game in that video was completely insane, and I love it.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Wind God Sety posted:

I don't think anything can top Mitt Romney dress-up. Every single game in that video was completely insane, and I love it.

We're nowhere near the bottom. Not yet. Stay tuned for Gharbad and EntranceJew's guest videos.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Devious Vacuum posted:

We're nowhere near the bottom. Not yet. Stay tuned for Gharbad and EntranceJew's guest videos.

oh god, not Senator Lindsay Graham (R-SC) dress up games

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

I think my trainer turned out alright, but, I dunno...I can't help but feel there's something there that doesn't belong.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

DurpTwoTwo posted:

I think my trainer turned out alright, but, I dunno...I can't help but feel there's something there that doesn't belong.

Is... is she wearing a Mr.Mime instead of shoes?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Holy poo poo why didn't I try out that Manga Creator thing earlier?

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Hope you're all ready for an Otome Phone Games MegaPost!

My guilty pleasure in life is reading otome games. I can't decide if I love the bad/poorly translated dialog or the baffling "choices" more. Here's a bunch of free or cheap games for your phone.

Pirates in Love
This is the kind of game where you buy routes.

The funniest thing is that the game creators, when translating it into English, decided to change their characters too. Below is the original Japanese version.

As you may have noticed, they seriously photoshopped in a black guy for the English version.

The translation clearly didn't have enough native speakers editing it, but it's good more often than not. The main character suffers from blandness like most otome game characters. More than half of the dateable characters are assholes too. Fantastic side character though.

Be My Princess
This game uses the micropayment model. You can beat the whole game for free, but it's the worst loving slog to do so. I still haven't done it and I've managed to beat 2-3 other similar games in less time than I've had this thing installed. They at least break up the main story with little side story events. These range anywhere from kinda good/cute to plain boring. You get an avatar to dress in clothes that you mostly end up discarding because they purposely don't give you very many "closet spaces."

As Hokuto said, the MC is barely a character at all. It started promising with the MC having a clear life goal and I thought that'd go somewhere or lead to more personality development, but it doesn't. The saving grace of this game is that most of the bachelors are nice to your character! Holy poo poo, this shouldn't be such a big issue, but it really is because of games like...

Contract Marriage

I downloaded the game based on the name alone. Serves me right for not reading anything and just randomly choosing a character. The men in this game are quite literally abusive. This game was actually so sickening I had to uninstall it.

Office Lover

~*~*~MATURE ROMANCE~*~*~*~
Made by the same people that made the last game. In stark contrast, the one route I played was rather...nice. The MC is bland as hell and ditzy to boot, but the guy was nice and their relationship was drat near realistic. Most of the drama came from trying to keep it professional in the workplace and from the guy's psycho stalker ex. That last thing was what kept me reading because it was just so crazy. :psyduck: It started reading like a soap opera and I mean that in the best way possible.

Love Academy

This is the easiest game to beat because it doesn't have ridiculous hurdles that try to convince you to spend money. It also gets a little racy during the endings, but nothing more than PG-13. The story itself can be confusing since they purposely leave huge chunks of time out of every route. It's only by playing all the routes can you piece together some things. Also, BL/yaoi overtones out of nowhere!

So I guess that means it's a good time to finish up with...
My Lover of Darkness
This is another game I downloaded without reading too much of the info. I just typed in "otome games" into the Android store and found something with Vampire in the title. Sounded funny. Turns out it's BL.

Except he doesn't because he's horrible. The MC is one of the worst otome game characters I've ever seen. I'd take the standard bland characters over this spineless idiot any day. He also seems to have a serious thing for older men. In fact, the only dateable character around the MC's age is one he considers a brother. Best part of the game? The translation is so bad, they constantly switch between using him and her to refer to the MC.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Me IRL:

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

This is Mitt Romney's America!

Edit: I wanted to make Flannery, but I got sidetracked by the ridiculous amount of options. This is actually pretty neat!

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 18, 2014

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?

I like how you can choose the gendered clothing options for both boys and girls, but it was probably just a programming oversight.

Me irl

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

This thread is great, some of those art dresses are fantastic!

To contribute (cross posted from feminism thread ages ago):

My girlfriend mentioned that in the November 2013 Missy magazine (a german feminist mag) there was a section about a game called Perfect Woman coming out for the Xbox One.
http://www.perfectwomangame.com/

Description posted:

Perfect Woman is game inspired by the ubiquitous personality questionnaires featured in women’s magazines and the female roles they define. There are so many such roles emphasizing aspects of family, career, experience, sex and more. But these can not possibly characterize the depth and complexity of a woman’s life. Perfect Woman uses these stereotypes as building blocks for you to be your OWN perfect woman.

The game is structured into progressive levels, each one representing a different stage in a woman’s life. Starting at the child stage, players must post in front of a Kinect to mimic various poses that appear on screen. The better a player is able to hold the pose, the more “perfect” their rating for that level.

Perfect Woman features a branching decision tree which serves to create a narrative of the character’s life. Past choices may make future choices more difficult. It’s not always possible to be perfect at every stage in life, and that’s perfectly fine.

About the game:

Lea Schoenfelder (The developer) posted:

The title “Perfect Woman” existed from the beginning. Our game is about perfectness and about what it means to be perfect as a woman. It depicts different roles a woman can be perfect in: For example her job, her role as a friend, her role as a wife, a mother, a citizen etc. Of course the title is ironic and maybe misleading at first sight. But this is on purpose. Instead of telling people what defines a “perfect woman” (society seems to be doing this already) the game asks the question if it is desirable to be perfect at all.

Indie Statik posted:

The implications of a perfect life for a woman are key to the game’s message. Should you be subservient to the love in your life? Should you screw as many guys as possible? How about getting through your toddler years as a flowering princess, or go a bit slower and conform to the image of an old woman knitting?

You’ll be taking on traditional and non-traditional roles as you live through your life in Perfect Woman, and while some of it may be dictated by the directions you aim to take this life, most of the driving will be managed by how well you pose in each stage.

What’s interesting about the gameplay mechanic is that it’s literally getting players to try to fit into rigid shapes, which you could read as representing the cut-out roles pushed forward for women within society. What becomes apparent is that it’s not so easy to live a life within the framework of “perfection.” What is thought to be the perfect woman, as proliferated through these magazines and other media, is constricting and impossible to keep up for very long.

https://vimeo.com/75890888

Just gonna point out my favourite 'perfect woman' role that I've seen:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Oh hey, there's another Otome Visual Novel on Kickstarter! It involves Incubi, and... Is it wrong that I suddenly feel bad for posting this?

Naaaaaahhhh...

vvvv DAGNABBIT, BISCUIT, I TOLD YOU NOT TO TELL ANYBODY!

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 18, 2014

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
He said over skype he donated money to it. He has a strong desire to play this game and hopes the Meagthread is around when it is finally released so he can play it for you all.

This is all true, and I am not putting words in his mouth like the monster that I am most certainly not.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Looks like Jamie's mouth got TheD.

edit: I am so sorry.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

DON'T MAKE ME TURN THIS THREAD AROUND, KIDS.

I don't know how to feel about Perfect Woman. It looks interesting, but I also don't like the art style. Also, suicide bomber? What?!

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

:happyelf:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devious Vacuum posted:

I don't know how to feel about Perfect Woman. It looks interesting, but I also don't like the art style. Also, suicide bomber? What?!
Women can be suicide bombers if they want to be, DVac. <:mad:>

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Devious Vacuum posted:

Yeah suicide bomber is one of the many roles you can try to be 'perfect' at in the game because why not, you can be a princess or a drummer or a 'girl everyone wants to have sex with' etc.

Lea Schönfelder also made another game for women; Ute although its focus is on sexual freedom, as the game's goal told by Ute's grandma is to sleep with as many men before getting married:

It is also pretty silly in its execution.

There was an RPS article about it recently that was very good write up of the game and had great points on the narrative/structure.

extract posted:

The structure of the game has a lot to say about the sexual constraints heterosexual women find themselves in. Society’s attitudes towards sex and monogamy creates a currency of us; the marriage market for men and women that Jane Austen described still seems pertinent in that light. Women might feel as if they’re ‘spoiled’ if they admit to a prospective love interest that they have been with other men, just as Ute breaks two men’s hearts every time she is discovered indulging her desires. And they do fulfil her desires: the game’s win state is when Ute climaxes, not when the man does so. Ute chooses whomever she’d like to sleep with, but ultimately, her life is still a market in which men seem to regard her sexual choices as so disgusting or distasteful as to avoid her for the rest of the game. Unless it really is that they are all in love with her and become broken hearted (which, though she is lovely, I wonder if it’s more of a comment on possessiveness than much else). Ignorance of Ute’s true self is the only state in which men seem to want to be in a long term relationship with her. And that relationship is often not even her choice; it’s just the last man… standing.

It’s rewardingly complex as a narrative told through mechanics. There is no dialogue apart from the small intro and outro with the grandmother. Games that have something to say, not only thematically, but throughout the actual structure of how it works can effectively critique a social system. This game conveys Ute’s agency and desire for fun whilst also indicating there are still constraints on her ‘freedoms’ or sexual liberation. It takes a game system we so often see without consequences – say, again, The Witcher and his prostitutes – and makes it far more interesting by imposing limits and outcomes on the play. It’s also more interesting to play than just paying a busty 3D lady to trigger a cutscene in which she dramatically and floridly drapes herself on Geralt’s cock. This isn’t to say I wouldn’t too, but I’d be a little more enthusiastic about it, and I’d probably assault the cameraman and forcibly point the camera at Geralt instead.

The RPS article. (slightly :nws:)

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 19, 2014

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I like the idea of symbolic gameplay. I guess that's another thing the kinect has going for it (Child of Eden being the first). It's something that hasn't really been done with a gamepad as far as I'm aware.

"You did a mediocre job as a suicide bomber!"

traceace
Jan 25, 2009
So I noticed someone talked a little bit about Otome games, and I thought I'd jump in on that. Over the last few months I've been trudging through the Shall We Date series of games that I know are at least available for iOS, specifically the free ones (but I did buy one story out of the Angel/Demon app because the Devil story legitimately looked messed up and problematic as hell and I had to see if I was right (hint: it was) - I digress, unless anyone actually wants screenshots of that one). A lot of the stories in the Shall We Date series borders on either violent or stalkerish, and a few I couldn't play even for the lulz because it was really awkward.

Anyway tl;dr I like Otome games in the way I feel like I'd watch a slow train wreck - most are bad but the kind of bad you want to witness. Recently they came out with Ninja Love+, which I guess the plus is a stupid dress up game where the outfits actually will cost you money, and a new story Ninja Love didn't have: a romance with the 'bad' guy of the original game. I want to talk about this guy a little, and remind you that they made a whole new version of the game for him to be a love interest. Consider this my short entry into this much larger megathread.

As a warning, one of these screenshots will be basically describing sexual assault. WHICH IS OMG SO ROMANTIC, RIGHT GUYS? Without further ado, a couple of screenshots to give you an idea of the hell that is this storyline:

First, Saizo does my work for me and tells you what a complete rear end in a top hat he is. No really, he killed your family and you're sitting there going MAYBE HE'S NOT SO BAD.

LITERALLY AN EPISODE LATER. NOT EVEN A FEW EPISODES. And this isn't even BEFORE they do the bs 'they get to know each other' storyline. She's obsessed with her parents' murderer after ONE CONVERSATION.

Fast forward. You get caught by the guy, and wake up to find your friend very hurt. Like some sort of random anime moron, you apparently ignore this and notice he has given you a futon. WHAT A NICE GUY. (the only saving grace of this so far is Saizo keeps calling you a moron)

This is not even the worst part of this scene, for the record, but this needs to be shown because I was honestly horrified at this. Yes, exactly what you think is happening is happening. Thankfully, he only attempts to sexually assault her, but stops because she starts crying. ROMANCEEEEE!!!

Your friend is thrown into a dungeon where he is sure to be tortured, getting him out of the way for the real, WINK WINK, romance to begin. Our wonderful 'love' comes to us to apologize for the attempted assault by giving us sponge cake. Clearly never hearing of the abuse cycle, our protagonist is swayed by a SINGLE NICE GESTURE. (this may have been the part I stopped playing for a while. I am impressed, Shall We Date, usually these games are just dumb and implausible).

Presented without comment beyond pointing out this is in regards to her attempted sexual assault and also the rumors that he killed a lot of people.

Yeah, it just keeps getting dumber from here. From the point I got to right now, he tells her he loves her, and she seems to care more about this than about the fact her friend hadn't been freed but was in the dungeon. GREATEST OTOME HEROINE EVER.

TBH, the entire Ninja Love thing is a wash and not worth your time. Destiny Ninja is probably the least offensive free ones of the bunch, but they're all pretty stupid and littered sparingly with moments of awkward phrasing and Engrish. And really weird, awkward romance. But who cares about that because GIRLS LOVE THAT poo poo, AMIRITE?

traceace fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 19, 2014

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Jesus loving christ.. That is genuinely disturbing, on multiple levels.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Ah, otome games. I don't expect much from the mobile ones to be honest, they're basically watered down versions of the full length otome VNs that are sold for PC/PSP in Japan; that's where the REAL crazy is. It's a mix of fun, badly made, crazy, or downright WHAT THE gently caress when it comes to them. :gonk: But hey, I like them since hey, female protagonists, and if you're lucky you get a cool heroine like the one in Sweet Fuse (released stateside for the PSP).

traceace
Jan 25, 2009

Meis posted:

Jesus loving christ.. That is genuinely disturbing, on multiple levels.

I didn't want to clog up the thread with that crap, but I cannot really stress enough this isn't even the only story where a character makes unwanted advances to the protagonist in Ninja Love+. Nobunga's just veers from the 'wow this guy is an rear end in a top hat where is my option to knee him until he stops trying to grope her' to 'holy crap am I about to read a rape scene what is this'.

I forgot to add this, but I wanted to point out the age and warnings on this particular app in the iTunes store, because they are LAUGHABLE in the way you either laugh or cry:

Rated 12+ for the following:

Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity

Somewhere a 12 year old is reading this beautiful tale of kidnapping and grooming. Nice thought, really.

(p.s. as someone who has seen quite a few of the stories in this game - infrequent my rear end)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Man, I didn't wanna have to go into anything like "Good Otome games", buuuuut I do know a few.

First off, Hatoful Boyfriend!

You probably know about that one, but I had to mention it. I kinda hate being able to say that a semi-science-fiction game about romancing pigeons has some really genuine characterization and surprisingly good structure for an otome game. Playing all of the routes will slowly teach you more and more about the world, and then you can end up on the giant mindfuck True Ending.

But the big one I wanted to mention was Hakuoki, Demon of the Fleeting Blossom.

It's not rapey! It has a plot that could go on without ANY romance whatsoever! It has a really vague historical basis, aside from the demons and the alchemy vampires! The characters who are assholes end up fleshing out in a way that makes them much better than your lovely "I love him even though he is an rear end in a top hat" storylines! Your character may be kinda useless, but she's next to some of the most dangerous people in all of Japan, so the comparison is just not flattering. She has agency and a will of her own, and she actually has a say in the plot. The various love interests all play a part in the plot no matter how you steer it, though things can go rather differently depending on which way you go. There's no bullshit where you almost never see any of them except the one you pick. There's no crap about them changing personality drastically between routes. (I'm looking at you, Shall We Date? My Sweet Prince. I'll get to that one.)

Want to kill someone's heart? Get them to play it without looking up any real life details on the Shinsengumi. Bonus points if they go for Souji Okita. It follows actual history a lot better than some of these games do, so a little light Googling will tell you how the story goes, sans supernatural stuff. Nothing like seeing someone's head explode when they realize their love interest is dying of tuberculosis. It does delve into fiction, based on your ending. Someone dies in every one of them, but it takes liberties with how they die or perhaps percieved death, etc. But someone will die, and it will be depressing.

Also, your player character has a face. Lots of them don't. I'm looking at you, Voltage.

EDIT: Okay, some of my typing got eaten, wtf. I fixed it, I think.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 19, 2014

Soral
May 30, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

Ute, if anyone wants to play it. :nws:

One of the characters you have to have sex with to score points is 14 :stare:

Soral fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 19, 2014

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Soral posted:

One of the characters you have to have sex with to score points is 14 :stare:

Hmm, yeah I read that in the RPS article and forgot when coming to post. I'll remove the link to the game from my post.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 19, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Not gonna lie. If asked, I'd go on a totally sweet voyage with the pirates of Sirius. I'd read the waiver very carefully first, though.

Night Gaunt posted:

~*~*~MATURE ROMANCE~*~*~*~
Because nothing says mature relationship like impressing your partner with a cute avatar <3.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Fun thought exercise. Replace Oda Nobunaga with other historical figures and see how that game turns out. George Washington, for example.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
So is it even possible to market a video game by using a woman, but not portray the woman in a negative light? No.

Are you a girl who likes video games? Do you play them for fun instead of using them to meet boys? Do you hate it when men online either hit on you or judge you because you are a woman?
Well, we here at Sony want to offend the gently caress out of you and portray a sense of women are sex objects; please see this advertisement, and hopefully you never buy anything from us again.

I don't think I've ever seen an advertisement that says "women are just boobs" more than this.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

haplesscardsharp posted:

So is it even possible to market a video game by using a woman, but not portray the woman in a negative light? No.

Are you a girl who likes video games? Do you play them for fun instead of using them to meet boys? Do you hate it when men online either hit on you or judge you because you are a woman?
Well, we here at Sony want to offend the gently caress out of you and portray a sense of women are sex objects; please see this advertisement, and hopefully you never buy anything from us again.

I don't think I've ever seen an advertisement that says "women are just boobs" more than this.
:stonk:

This is incredibly creepy. Not just because it's terribly sexist, I mean like body horror creepy. And also really sexist. Why would I ever buy a vita after this.

traceace
Jan 25, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Fun thought exercise. Replace Oda Nobunaga with other historical figures and see how that game turns out. George Washington, for example.

PATRIOT LOVE+

The Thomas Jefferson storyline would be the romantic star-crossed story between him and his slave. 5/5 IT'Z LIKE ROMEO AND JULIET!!!111

(Did I just manage to gross myself out? Yes I did. Hooray!)

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Nihilarian posted:

:stonk:

This is incredibly creepy. Not just because it's terribly sexist, I mean like body horror creepy. And also really sexist. Why would I ever buy a vita after this.

I'm guessing you don't remember the PSP commercials? The racist squirrels? Ringing any bells?

I can't be surprised at that ad. Sony handheld commercials are completely terrible to a suspicious degree.Like, either somebody in the handheld division pissed of someone in the marketing division, or Sony is trying to pull a Springtime for Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

haplesscardsharp posted:

Damnit, Sony! I love you, I really do, but then you go and pull this creepy/offensive bullshit every so often.

Patter Song posted:

Ooh! Dibs on Caligula! :allears:

• Locked thread