Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Computer Opponent posted:

Honest question: What in particular made 2017 so exciting that IA lacked?

The feeling of progression for me as well as the speed. Both had lotsa bugs and goofy writing and destruction but IA was more obvious in its grind and the levels were big and slow. Part of the problem was that IA didn't spawn huge wave sizes, rather there were just a lot of small waves that had downtime between them. Honestly a lot of the appeal of 2017 over IA was that 2017 was fast with too many bugs for the 360 to handle. 2017 had a hell of a worse grind if you were trying to get all the weapons or more armor for Inferno. IA was a lot more blunt about it with the obvious progress bar and everything. 2017 had the health bar but it increased quickly even though it was only a small percentage of what you needed.

Edit: I fuckin love EDF and will sperg the hell out about it :spergin:

Edit 2: 2017 also had a better balance between difficulty levels. I made a rough estimate a while back that they basically double the enemy stats from the previous difficulty. Black ants shot 3 acid on Easy and about 6 on Normal if I remember right. Inferno was 16x the stats of Easy. I don't know what it was in IA but I know you had to play through the game a couple times on the lower difficulties just to survive Very Hard. In 2017 you could go from Easy to Very Hard without much if any grinding. Inferno is a maybe up until about halfway through depending on how much health you have.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, the PSN sharing thread seems mostly dead and buried, so is anyone here (and stateside) up for splitting the cost on a shiny new copy of 2025, plus that first little bit of DLC? Because sharing is caring, and you show how much you care by blowing ants back into space.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Kind if weird that the only flaw 2017 had, and drove everyone nuts, was the couch only co-op with no online.

Now 2025 has both, but everyone seems to be wanting couch co-op more than online. I was honestly wondering why they even included couch co-op still, but I guess there are some who still do this.

Also, HAPPY EDF DAYYYYYYYY

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Dominic White posted:

So, the PSN sharing thread seems mostly dead and buried, so is anyone here (and stateside) up for splitting the cost on a shiny new copy of 2025, plus that first little bit of DLC? Because sharing is caring, and you show how much you care by blowing ants back into space.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I got my code for the preorder DLC from Amazon and on my account, according to the website, I have 2 copies of it. Does that mean I can share it with someone? If not, what does it mean?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Philthy posted:

Now 2025 has both, but everyone seems to be wanting couch co-op more than online. I was honestly wondering why they even included couch co-op still, but I guess there are some who still do this.

Because some people have friends and/or family that they want to play games with? Every time I have to tell my GF that we can't play together because she has to buy her own console, TV, copy of the game, etc, I get pissed off that local multiplayer seems to be a weird oddity to so many people.

Cowman posted:

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I got my code for the preorder DLC from Amazon and on my account, according to the website, I have 2 copies of it. Does that mean I can share it with someone? If not, what does it mean?

If you've got two seperate codes for the same bit of preorder DLC, they just gave you a spare. Which means you can just give it to someone and they'll be happy that you've further enriched their space-bug-blasting experience.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Local co-op for this game is incredible. Online multiplayer is ok but if I couldnt blast giant spiders and ants with my friends I don't think Id enjoy this game half as much.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Dominic White posted:

If you've got two seperate codes for the same bit of preorder DLC, they just gave you a spare. Which means you can just give it to someone and they'll be happy that you've further enriched their space-bug-blasting experience.

I meant the PSN website, sorry. This is what it looks like right now:

I haven't gotten my copy of EDF yet so I don't know if it's just for both weapons but when I click them it says the same thing on both. It says on both of them that it's the pack name then both of the weapons.

Edit: I've never done PSN sharing and don't even know if you still can or how to do it. I just noticed this and was hoping it meant I could share it so I could spread the guns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can share even if you only got one, but you wouldn't want to share off your personal account anyway.

It's probably the 2 different weapons separately with the description and name copy pasted.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Picked up the 360 version of the game from Gamestop. Anyone who purchased from Amazon care to trade pre-order bonuses? I think I'd rather stick with Ranger over the Air Raider's weapons. (Yes, I know - it's mostly cosmetic and these weapons will be outclassed in an hour or two).

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I grabbed the PS3 version of this because my Xbox Live expired today and I'm not planning on renewing it. If you'd like to play with someone later this afternoon, add Obsurveyor on PS3. Please have voice comms.

I love this series and cannot get enough of it and I am super pumped to finally be able to play it with someone else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It does look like the DLC pack up now is the same one in the Facebook giveaway, but that says it could take up to the 10th to get a code.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Sent a friend request to the metatag, GT: OpaqueEcho

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
This is how you advertise EDF.

Latest I could get the game is Thursday, but I'm ready to play with PS3 Goons. ID: Wukong-sun.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, can anyone tell yet if you can see Japanese-run games online?

edit: ^^^^ as soon as you guys get a railgun tank you will see what the building destruction engine can really do.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 18, 2014

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Crabtree posted:

This is how you advertise EDF.

Latest I could get the game is Thursday, but I'm ready to play with PS3 Goons. ID: Wukong-sun.

That is an amazing commercial. Lots of teaser on weapons. Like that icbm at the end and the spike diver for the fencer. My copy should be getting to me in the mail today.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
How bad is the couch co-op framerate? That's pretty much the difference between me grabbing it off the bat and waiting for a price drop.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

My roommate and I are buying two copies. Can we do a game couch co-op with two accounts and then I transfer my save/account back and forth between our two 360s?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Little Mac posted:

My roommate and I are buying two copies. Can we do a game couch co-op with two accounts and then I transfer my save/account back and forth between our two 360s?

Most likely. Live sporrts it as long as there's no weird quirk in the game.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
So, this is pretty sweet. Is loot shared? I had some dude with me who would race me to all the drops. I couldn't really tell in the loot screen afterward if it counted just the ones I picked up or if it was shared.

Also I love the variety of EDF chants!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Knightmare posted:

So, this is pretty sweet. Is loot shared? I had some dude with me who would race me to all the drops. I couldn't really tell in the loot screen afterward if it counted just the ones I picked up or if it was shared.

Also I love the variety of EDF chants!

Yes, all loot is shared. As a team you should all run around and grab all the armor/weapon boxes before defeating the last enemy. To kill the last enemy while your team is doing that is bad etiquette.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dominic White posted:

Because some people have friends and/or family that they want to play games with? Every time I have to tell my GF that we can't play together because she has to buy her own console, TV, copy of the game, etc, I get pissed off that local multiplayer seems to be a weird oddity to so many people.

In a sad twist of irony it looks like my Amazon preorder wont arrive today as stated. However, my friends copy is out for delivery already, so we will end up playing local co-op over a bottle of scotch.

At least I'll get a month free of Amazon Prime over this. Meh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes, all loot is shared. As a team you should all run around and grab all the armor/weapon boxes before defeating the last enemy. To kill the last enemy while your team is doing that is bad etiquette.

Which means do it all the time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Philthy posted:

In a sad twist of irony it looks like my Amazon preorder wont arrive today as stated. However, my friends copy is out for delivery already, so we will end up playing local co-op over a bottle of scotch.

At least I'll get a month free of Amazon Prime over this. Meh.
Are you sure you'll get a month from them for it? The legalese in the prime shipping stuff is really slippery.

YesManKablam
Feb 19, 2013
"Do you have a girl back at home?"
"Understood!"
"Can't meet those expectations..."
*starts singing a victory tune*

I loving love this game.

My PSN is ActionSandman if anyone wants to play some online co-op later.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Are you sure you'll get a month from them for it? The legalese in the prime shipping stuff is really slippery.

Yes, the last time they missed a delivery date for a book I ordered a few weeks back they apologized profusely and gave me a free month. It's part of Prime. They deliver on the date, or you get a free month.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.
Howdy, bug-killing friends.

I am also a big EDF fan and plan to buy a copy after work today, but I have a question.

Can local co-op share with online co-op, i.e.- Can two players play on one console and still launch the game into online play?

Or is online mode only 1 player?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

"Did you propose yet?"
"Don't get your hopes up."

"Why did you join EDF?"
"It's an idea!"

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

The Welper posted:

I am also a big EDF fan and plan to buy a copy after work today, but I have a question.

Can local co-op share with online co-op, i.e.- Can two players play on one console and still launch the game into online play?
Apparently the answer is: Yes on the 360, no on the PS3.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

The Welper posted:

Howdy, bug-killing friends.

Or is online mode only 1 player?

So far (based on when it came out last year in Japan), it sounds like this is a feature on 360 (but it is unclear whether they allow guest accounts or if both players need Gold) but not on the PS3.

I don't think anyone has confirmed either of those points since release today.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.
Thanks guys. That's pretty disappointing as I have 3 people that will be playing, 2 PS3's but only 1 big screen (First World Problems), I was going to use my monitor set-up so my less game-familiar family could get the big-screen chaos.

I was legit going to buy two copies of this game today for one household.

That's how awesome is EDF and my hype for more EDF.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Heads up for anyone getting the game digitally: I kept reloading the Playstation store from my PS3 but it wouldn't update past the Valentine's Day sale. Went onto the store from my computer and EDF and all the dlc were up so I was able to buy them from there and start the download on the PS3.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Reminder to europeans that we have to wait until friday. :(

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, now that I actually understand the plot, I realize that this game gets shockingly grim later on. It's really depressing hearing O'Hara losing hope constantly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Welp, I ended up getting this on the 360 using my remaining credit so there goes I guess. Download faster, game!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Erogamer review is up and it's poo poo.

A real shame, because their review for 2017 was fantastic.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Eurogamer now holds the dubious honor of having the best review of EDF, and the worst.

As for myself the family is at home playing while I'm stuck in a waiting room. Torture!

One question: I assume it is the Air Raider who gets the orbital lasers?

Edit: thinking that EDF is about shooting giant ants is like thinking Tetris is about rotating blocks, to counter that 2025 Eurogamer review with a concept from the 2017 Eurogamer review.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mr Phillby posted:

Erogamer review is up and it's poo poo.

A real shame, because their review for 2017 was fantastic.

It honestly bothers me more that he back handedly slams that review in the end. I mean, you can take or leave the game; it is what it is, and it is okay if it isn't your thing, but don't make fun of other people over it.

EDIT : joke is on me I suppose

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 18, 2014

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

You may not want to buy the PS3 disc version. Load times are loving awwwwful and no hard drive install. :(

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
So this DID show up on 360 Games on Demand today. Also, the Fencer and Wing Diver weapon packs are free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Obsurveyor posted:

You may not want to buy the PS3 disc version. Load times are loving awwwwful and no hard drive install. :(

Load times are awful no matter what in this game. But it's usually not so bad once you get out of missions that have intro cutscenes (or when you turn them off).

It's somehow simultaneously awful and amusing that the last mission I did (55) actually forced me to consider lag a game mechanic. I HAD to kill certain enemies early and not shoot certain things to keep lag to manageable level. This is such an EDF-type thing to happen it's incredible.