Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

priznat posted:

I liked it but I enjoy slow paced, introspective sci fi movies. It was made on a shoestring budget but looks fairly decent. It sort of goes off the rails but if you just can go with it, it can be satisfying.

Not everyone's cup of tea, definitely.

I liked Love as well, but I can definitely see how it wouldn't be most people's cup of tea. Another one I liked in the same vein that is (or maybe was) streaming is Earthling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Joe Der Maus posted:

I liked Love as well, but I can definitely see how it wouldn't be most people's cup of tea. Another one I liked in the same vein that is (or maybe was) streaming is Earthling.

I will have to check that out! Also "Another Earth" is similar and was on Canadian Netflix I think. I enjoyed it but man it starts off with a horribly sad beginning.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

priznat posted:

I will have to check that out! Also "Another Earth" is similar and was on Canadian Netflix I think. I enjoyed it but man it starts off with a horribly sad beginning.

Sadly, not on US Netflix, but whatever, I have the bluray.
I think I just like low budget sci-fi. Not the cheesy stuff, but the ones where the filmmakers work within their budgets to make something special, rather than resorting to cheap effects.
On that note, Upstream Color is on instant, and by god, anyone who hasn't seen it, should take the time to do so.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
I just started watching Bates Motel and it's pretty dark but good. It's basically a prequel storytelling to how Norman Bates became what he did. It's modernized somewhat, not set in the 50's or anything. And it's weird to see Freddie Highmore, who was so sweet in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, to slowly be turned into a psychopath.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The problem with Dexter is the development arc was rushed and each season tends to throw secondary characters into extreme situations. Rita was an interesting element to the show up until they got married. And I understand why people liked season 4 better than 2 & 3 but if you ignore John Lithgow, season 5 was better on the whole. Lithgow was great, as always, and I liked the idea of his character and the contrast he created but it could have been handled better. Overall Dexter would be a better show had the writing shown more restraint.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

5 is the only one I really have no memory of. I know I saw it, and I can identify a few pieces of it, but it was kind of a huge waste. It was a 1-3 episode arc stretched over a whole season. 6 is at least kind of interesting and has a cool cast.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The problem with Dexter is that Hannibal is like it, but is so much better.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I still think Doakes was the best character on Dexter.

e: forgot mention that The Americans is on Amazon and it's awesome. Also Amazon is doing something where people vote to decide if a pilot gets picked up. I'll list out the ones I've seen:

The After
An Amazon Original Pilot: From Chris Carter, creator of The X-Files. Eight strangers are thrown together by mysterious forces and must help each other survive in a violent world that defies explanation.
Starring: Aldis Hodge, Andrew Howard

I liked it but wish they would have explained what was going on a bit more. Also, Aldis Hodge from Leverage is in it.

Mozart in the Jungle
An Amazon Original Pilot: Sex, drugs--and classical music--what happens behind the curtains at the symphony can be just as captivating as what happens on stage. Created by Paul Weitz (About A Boy), Roman Coppola (The Darjeeling Limited), Jason Schwartzman (Moonrise Kingdom) and Alex Timbers (Peter and the Starcatcher).
Starring: Gael Garcia Bernal, Malcolm McDowell

I really liked this one. Malcolm McDowell is a hilarious grumpy gently caress.

There are 3 more of these and a bunch of kids shows they are piloting. I think I'm going to check out "Bosch" with Titus Welliver next.

Reign Of Pain has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Feb 8, 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Reign Of Pain posted:

e: forgot mention that The Americans is on Amazon and it's awesome. Also Amazon is doing something where people vote to decide if a pilot gets picked up. I'll list out the ones I've seen:

What happened with Onion News Empire? It didn't get picked up with the others from that batch, but everyone involved said they were going to do something with it.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

I just noticed that League of Gentlemen is streaming on Netflix. Weird, hosed up comedy over three seasons, and one of the stars is Mark Gatiss, who wrote a few episodes of Doctor Who, and who played Mycroft in Sherlock. It's mainly the same three guys as different characters, and not all of the segments always work, but by and large it's amazing. Excerpt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meF7NmfnXZ0

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

MacGowans Teeth posted:

I just noticed that League of Gentlemen is streaming on Netflix. Weird, hosed up comedy over three seasons, and one of the stars is Mark Gatiss, who wrote a few episodes of Doctor Who, and who played Mycroft in Sherlock. It's mainly the same three guys as different characters, and not all of the segments always work, but by and large it's amazing. Excerpt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meF7NmfnXZ0

This is one of the most utterly brilliant dark comedies ever written.

There's still something truly horrifying about papa lazarou.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
The Good, The Bad , And The Ugly is on instant netflix and you ahould watch it

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
House of Cards S2 is up.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

wormil posted:

House of Cards S2 is up.

Like this even needed to be posted. :v:

My prediction came true. First episode owns.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
The Elephant in the Living Room was a pretty great documentary. It talks about exotic animals in america and follows two people. One is a police officer who specializes in catching exotic animals that have been let lose (or have escaped) into the wild, and another is Terry, who owns 2 lions. It's really good and has a pretty heartbreaking scene at the end. Definitely worth watching.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America is a tongue in cheek mockumentary about the south winning the civil war and how the world would have changed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Totally TWISTED posted:

Like this even needed to be posted. :v:

True, netflix has a huge header for it but I wanted to keep the thread going.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Let's turn it back to movies. Any good foreign stuff? Like something I wouldn't mind reading subtitles for?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

colas posted:

Let's turn it back to movies. Any good foreign stuff? Like something I wouldn't mind reading subtitles for?
That's pretty broad, but I always recommend Just Another Love Story, a modern day noir from Denmark.

Korea has had lots of great movies coming out in the last several years, start with the usual recommendations first:
The Chaser
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
Bedevilled
The Man from Nowhere

And I probably missed a bunch, check out the Netflix streaming thread or the Korean film thread in the film forum.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

colas posted:

A Sound of Noise was entertaining, if you like musical anarchism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_74htRyZU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

colas posted:

Here's a mix from all sorts of different countries and genres, all of which are wonderful.

Troll Hunter
Ip Man
Amelie
The Hunt
Shaolin Soccer
Sound of Noise
The Fairy
Departures
Shall We Dance (Japanese version)
Let The Right One In
The Intouchables
OSS 117 (both Cairo, Nest of Spies and Lost in Rio)
The Wave
As it is in Heaven

Of those I'd definitely recommend watching The Fairy (a bizarre french comedy about a woman who believes she's a wish-granting fairy), and Departures (a charming Japanese comedy drama about a mortician, think All Creatures Great and Small only with dead people.)

MrGreenShirt has a new favorite as of 05:22 on Feb 17, 2014

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

MrGreenShirt posted:

Here's a mix from all sorts of different countries and genres, all of which are wonderful.

Troll Hunter
Ip Man
Amelie
The Hunt
Shaolin Soccer
Sound of Noise
The Fairy
Departures
Shall We Dance (Japanese version)
Let The Right One In
The Intouchables
OSS 117 (both Cairo, Nest of Spies and Lost in Rio)
The Wave
As it is in Heaven

Of those I'd definitely recommend watching The Fairy (a bizarre french comedy about a woman who believes she's a wish-granting fairy), and Departures (a charming Japanese comedy drama about a mortician, think All Creatures Great and Small only with dead people.)

Ip Man is loving fantastic.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Big Centipede posted:

Ip Man is loving fantastic.

Very true.

That list is solid, but I'd like to point out two of my favorites:

Amelie is heartwarming as hell--it's guaranteed to put you in a good mood. :3:

Shaolin Soccer is nothing short of amazing. It's a (very silly) underdog sports movie, only with (magic) kung-fu.

edit: If you end up liking Shaolin Soccer and go to purchase it on DVD, be aware that the Miramax dub is bloody awful and missing almost a half hour of the film, but the disc does contain the original Hong Kong version.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I can't check now but if you like Shaolin Soccer, you NEED to watch Kung-Fu Hustle. It's my favorite martial Arts movie.
Chocolate is pretty good and has a heartwarming brother and sister story.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Oh man. That last scene is Love is so loving rad.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Man from Nowhere

This movie is like the best movie ever made. I gush over it all the time, I have the blu ray, if you want to see a korean dude gently caress every goddamned persons poo poo up while you cheer him on, this is the movie.

But to add on to it, and agree with a lot of what RCSA said:

Chaser (Super dark noir film.)
The Vengeance series (Super violent films)
I saw the Devil (Delve into the depths of a serial killer)
Ip Man (Do you like kung fu? No? Well you'll like this anyways)
Amelie (amazing romance story)
Let the Right One In (very good coming to age story with vampires)
Thirst (really well done vampire movie about what it means to be a vampire)
Castaway on the Moon (Awesome and weird romance)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Inzombiac posted:

I can't check now but if you like Shaolin Soccer, you NEED to watch Kung-Fu Hustle. It's my favorite martial Arts movie.
Chocolate is pretty good and has a heartwarming brother and sister story.
There is also Kung Fu Dunk, which is Shaolin Soccer with a different-colored ball.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Kung Fu Dunk is insanely bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ninja II Shadow of a Tear is now on Netflix

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

crowfeathers posted:

Ninja II Shadow of a Tear is now on Netflix
Starring the guy who played Uri Boyka, the Most Complete Fighter in the World!

Ninja II was hilariously bad, I loved the secret weapon cache he gets at the end.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Just watched Teddy Bear. It's about a Body Builder with an overly attached mother trying to find true love...or something like that.

This movie made me physically uncomfortable at some points.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Teddy Bear looks interesting, what part made you uncomfortable? Was it just like an awkward scene?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I don't think I'll ever understand how netflix's main page works. It's five days after one of their hugely popular original programming drops a new season, and it appears nowhere on the front page. The banner is gone and it's not in the Popular section or the New Release section.

Noggahide
May 16, 2009
I am a piece of shit retard
Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale

From IMDB: "In the depths of the Korvatunturi mountains, 486 metres deep, lies the closest ever guarded secret of Christmas. The time has come to dig it up! This Christmas everyone will believe in Santa Claus."

A great little Finnish Horror flick! If you are a fan of independent horror movies, you should give this one a go.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thought Rare Exports was pretty good, but drags a lot in the middle. It probably works better as a short film than a feature.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Starring the guy who played Uri Boyka, the Most Complete Fighter in the World!

Ninja II was hilariously bad, I loved the secret weapon cache he gets at the end.

it was great, he finds a world war 2 ninja costume and then blows up a pickup truck

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Netflix is awful on Roku now, shocking. At least on my "last year's model, buy a new one already rear end in a top hat" Roku. Which I got to replace an older one, because I wanted netflix subtitles. Of course now if I want profiles in Netflix, I need the new one too.

Anyway, almost the entire app is now "because you watched..." suggestions, some going back years at this point. All the regular genre sections are totally gone. Even the "top picks" section is like buried under 12 layers of because you watched. What the gently caress guys.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

Netflix is awful on Roku now, shocking. At least on my "last year's model, buy a new one already rear end in a top hat" Roku. Which I got to replace an older one, because I wanted netflix subtitles. Of course now if I want profiles in Netflix, I need the new one too.

Anyway, almost the entire app is now "because you watched..." suggestions, some going back years at this point. All the regular genre sections are totally gone. Even the "top picks" section is like buried under 12 layers of because you watched. What the gently caress guys.

I, too, have a Roku. They said that Profiles are going to come to other models too, but frankly there's no guarantee that will actually happen. I mean, I had to sideload a channel to get goddamn Youtube on it. Youtube!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's amazing how much they seem to want to alienate anyone who already owns one. New customers are all that matters I guess? I am also fairly convinced someone is running some sort of scam on churches convincing them that they should totally make a roku channel guys it'll be great! because there are a dozen new Jesus channels every week.

Also loving lol at there being a god drat flappy bird clone game on the store now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah it's amazing how much they seem to want to alienate anyone who already owns one. New customers are all that matters I guess? I am also fairly convinced someone is running some sort of scam on churches convincing them that they should totally make a roku channel guys it'll be great! because there are a dozen new Jesus channels every week.

Also loving lol at there being a god drat flappy bird clone game on the store now.

I mean, for how little it cost it works well enough, and I've been watching Hannibal with no problems. But you'd think that in this day and age not having Youtube of all things would be loving impossible.

Christ, even my Wii can play Youtube.

• Locked thread