Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The year of 'Be Your Own Defence Attorney' was rough on the C-levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Entropic posted:

The Be Your Own Dentist program was pretty rough.

We could have avoided all of those extra costs and meeting hours if the users would just wear their drat retainer every night like we told them to

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gunjin posted:

Video editing: 12 core Mac Pro, 10 bit broadcast monitor, 30" apple cinema display, 23" Apple Cinema Display, SAS card, video capture card, Wave panel then a separate laptop to connect to the corporate e-mail and exchange calendar.

At that point isn't it just a server sitting under a desk?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Caged posted:

The year of 'Be Your Own Defence Attorney' was rough on the C-levels.

Hahahaha you think these changes impact the C-levels!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Hahahaha you think these changes impact the C-levels!

Their bonus getting larger is definitely an impact

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

blackswordca posted:

I'm working out of the main office instead of the client site this week. Hazzah.

Not a tech issue, but still a worrying one. I got here this morning and there was no workstation for me, they had given away my old desktop I used before being transferred to the client site full time. I found out that sometime in the last six months they started making all new employees buy their workstations. They tried to push that on me, I told them it wasn't going to happen.
Is it like they're expected to reimburse the company for an existing device or order through a preselected supply chain, or is it straight-up "Come back Monday with a computer". Because I can't even begin to imagine how you'd support the latter. Are they on a domain? Are they being wiped and reinstalled when they come in or are they all running Windows Home full of bloatware? What if someone buys a Mac? Do you have to rebuy the Mac version of the software. Or are they buying the software too?

So many horrible scenarios :psyduck:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Look Jones I'm sorry but if you're going to object to buying your own PC, phone, desk, chair, carpet, air conditioning, supplies and plumbing then you're just not the sort of team player we need here at ShitCorp"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Varkk posted:

Even better is when it is something like a Cisco router and the Cisco admin has been making a number of changes to the running config over the years but didn't actually save it as the boot config.
Been there done that. :shobon:

When setting up a linux host from scratch the last thing I do is always reboot it just to make sure I didn't forget anything in the startup scripts.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Collateral Damage posted:

Been there done that. :shobon:

When setting up a linux host from scratch the last thing I do is always reboot it just to make sure I didn't forget anything in the startup scripts.

Whenever I get a server up and running it has to reboot properly from ssh and come back online properly without any user interaction. If any services aren't running or anything needs to be changed, it fails the test and we do it all over again. I don't give a poo poo if it has 5+ years of up time; if you are afraid to reboot it, it isn't well done.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Knormal posted:

Is it like they're expected to reimburse the company for an existing device or order through a preselected supply chain, or is it straight-up "Come back Monday with a computer". Because I can't even begin to imagine how you'd support the latter. Are they on a domain? Are they being wiped and reinstalled when they come in or are they all running Windows Home full of bloatware? What if someone buys a Mac? Do you have to rebuy the Mac version of the software. Or are they buying the software too?

So many horrible scenarios :psyduck:

what happened to me is "Well you can buy a laptop from our stock"

No... No I cant and No I wont.

They ended up giving me some HP laptop abandoned by a client.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

blackswordca posted:

Man, that's ingenious. Why keep the lovely laptops for loaners when you can just force-sell them to your own employees?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Holy poo poo dude how have you not found any other job in the entire world yet?

I know it's not always easy, but holy gently caress.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

blackswordca posted:

No... No I cant and No I wont.

They ended up giving me some HP laptop abandoned by a client.

Please tell me it still had client data on it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Renegret posted:

Please tell me it still had client data on it.

and still infected with the malware it was brought in for. My morning was backing up and imaging it.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
You're in Canada right? That must must be illegal in some way.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

blackswordca posted:

and still infected with the malware it was brought in for. My morning was backing up and imaging it.

And so you completed the entire poo poo circle.

You should throw cryptolocker on it and plug it into the network.

:v: Sorry boys! I thought you had wiped it before giving it to me!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

And so you completed the entire poo poo circle.

You should throw cryptolocker on it and plug it into the network.

:v: Sorry boys! I thought you had wiped it before giving it to me!

didnt have to take calls all morning so there is that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Uh-oh, looks like your numbers are down"

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
This thread. Jesus Christ.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Caged posted:

"Uh-oh, looks like your numbers are down"

right now, I don't care. I do have something in progress, not IT work but pays well. Just waiting on final confirmation

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Gunjin posted:

Buy their own workstation? I'd turn my rear end around and walk right back out the door if I showed up for my first day at a job and they told me that.

I would be too busy trying to breathe through uncontrollable laughter to walk anywhere.

Entropic posted:

The Be Your Own Dentist program was pretty rough.

Hey, it works for some people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1HOnv0Y2kY

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Swink posted:

Canadian MSPs. Jesus Christ.

FTFY

BlackswordCA's employment is literally 70's slapstick. It's used cars and slapshot applied to computers.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Holy poo poo bring your own desktop.

The best part is that by having your employees buy their own poo poo nobody gets advantageous pricing for bulk buys etc.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Saw ~40 new posts, figured something had kicked off with blackswordca, wasn't disappointed.

That's both hilarious and enraging at the same time. That poo poo has to be illegal, right? You can't just require someone who you've already employed to suddenly BYOD with no notice. I also like the way they sneakily got rid of his old workstation while he was away, presumably in the hope that he'd just shrug and go buy one when he got back and realised it was gone. :psyduck:

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 18, 2014

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I think this has to be just some horrible gimmick poster long con. Once the Dick Trauma and CorvetteFisher stories dried up, blackswordca saw his chance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My desire for him to :yotj: is surpassed only by the desire for the stories to continue.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Sickening posted:

At that point isn't it just a server sitting under a desk?

Nobody puts a 12k Mr Fusion under their desk where it will get empty coffee cups thrown at it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Caged posted:

My desire for him to :yotj: is surpassed only by the desire for the stories to continue.

Someone always steps up when the thread needs them.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

rolleyes posted:

Saw ~40 new posts, figured something had kicked off with blackswordca, wasn't disappointed.

That's both hilarious and enraging at the same time. That poo poo has to be illegal, right? You can't just require someone who you've already employed to suddenly BYOD with no notice. I also like the way they sneakily got rid of his old workstation while he was away, presumably in the hope that he'd just shrug and go buy one when he got back and realised it was gone. :psyduck:

Strictly speaking, probably not illegal. It depends on how contracts are worded, but (at least in the good ol' U S of A, even ignoring the "we can fire you whenever, suck it" thing) I'd be hard-pressed to imagine an employee handbook that doesn't have a "materials to do your job" clause in it that couldn't be contorted to this situation.

Of course, most companies aren't that stupid because good luck with employee retention if you pull that poo poo

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Jesus.
Wept.

Whenever I read that, I always think that he would surely use WPA2.

... Never mind.

But yeah, buying your own desktops? That's a loving joke. Do they ask the loving pilot to buy the airplane?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

Do they ask the loving pilot to buy the airplane?

Business plan! :dance:

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

HalloKitty posted:

... Never mind.

But yeah, buying your own desktops? That's a loving joke. Do they ask the loving pilot to buy the airplane?

No, but Eddie Stobart employ people to buy their own lorries with Eddie Stobart's name written all over it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

HalloKitty posted:

... Never mind.

BYOY: Bring your own Yoke.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Westie posted:

No, but Eddie Stobart employ people to buy their own lorries with Eddie Stobart's name written all over it.

Very common in the transport industry, especially couriers. Most of them are technically independent contractors who wear a set uniform (which they have to buy) driving a van which must meet strict criteria for age and model type as well as being adorned in company livery. Once again all paid for by the driver. Then they have to pick up the packages and drop them where the company tells them.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
As an experiment, I blocked most bandwidth hog/social media sites in an accidentally on-purpose fashion.

I've yet to have this many tickets in one day. "I can't login, nothing works." "Is Facebook broken?" "WIRELESS IS DOWN." It also amuses me I intended to correct this by lunch time today but ended up with food poisoning and called out sick. Good thing I have "cloud" access to my stuff and things.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

ghana rheya posted:

As an experiment, I blocked most bandwidth hog/social media sites in an accidentally on-purpose fashion.

I've yet to have this many tickets in one day. "I can't login, nothing works." "Is Facebook broken?" "WIRELESS IS DOWN." It also amuses me I intended to correct this by lunch time today but ended up with food poisoning and called out sick. Good thing I have "cloud" access to my stuff and things.

So mean. I'm also running IT at the group I was an active in in college: reminds me of the time I used IP tables to redirect one person's traffic to meatspin.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

"I am receiving messages that I am running low on disk space." Ran WinDirStat on user's computer and it turns out the main offender is a 34GB OST file... on an 80GB hard drive. We have a 2GB mailbox quota, how can that file possibly get that big? :psyduck:

I mean I could give her an additional hard drive but come on, manage your drat email already.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

"I am receiving messages that I am running low on disk space." Ran WinDirStat on user's computer and it turns out the main offender is a 34GB OST file... on an 80GB hard drive. We have a 2GB mailbox quota, how can that file possibly get that big? :psyduck:

I mean I could give her an additional hard drive but come on, manage your drat email already.

the OST will continue to cache deleted emails.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

That makes this a lot less postworthy. Should I just delete the drat thing then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

That makes this a lot less postworthy. Should I just delete the drat thing then?

If you can, rename it and it should re-cache a new one to his real mailbox size. When its working properly, delete the big one.

• Locked thread