Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think the possibility is there. No joke, I would probably love a new New Republic setting with a new New Jedi Order, without all the baggage of both the Jedi Order of the prequels and the NJO-era EU. Just a bunch of dudes from all walks, trying to figure out this Force thing while butting heads with the Imperial Remnant or whoever the screenwriters decide to bring out for people to lightstab.
...Now I want to read some of the NJO books. Send help. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Siivola posted:

I think the possibility is there. No joke, I would probably love a new New Republic setting with a new New Jedi Order, without all the baggage of both the Jedi Order of the prequels and the NJO-era EU. Just a bunch of dudes from all walks, trying to figure out this Force thing while butting heads with the Imperial Remnant or whoever the screenwriters decide to bring out for people to lightstab.
...Now I want to read some of the NJO books. Send help. :negative:

Read any book after NJO and you will not want to blow out your brains, Fate of the Jedi and Legacy of the force are good series.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
These 'signature moves' I keep seeing people talk about, what are they and were are they listed? I can't find them in the AoR or EotE books.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Swags posted:

These 'signature moves' I keep seeing people talk about, what are they and were are they listed? I can't find them in the AoR or EotE books.

Each Career is getting signature moves in the career supplement books. So far only the one for the Explorer is out (Enter the Unknown), but the Hired Gun one (Dangerous Covenants) is coming out soon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I made an Abragado-Rae system handout for my crew, tryin' to make one for every planet they visit.

edit: ohhh god dammit

alg fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 8, 2014

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You've got a typo in the planet's name, the description text has it correct. It's Abregado-Rae.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So, I was considering DMing the Dawn of Defiance game on the forums here. Dawn of Defiance was written for Saga Edition, in ten parts, going from level 1 to 20.

What do you guys think would be an equivalent amount of experience to hand out to PCs in this game? 100 per level equivalent? The adventures tell you around when let your PCs level, so would handing out a hundred XP be acceptable around that time?

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!

alg posted:

I made an Abragado-Rae system handout for my crew, tryin' to make one for every planet they visit.

edit: ohhh god dammit

Could you visit more planets please?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Gonna be GMing the beginner scenario for this today. Problem is, I had more people interested than I expected. The four characters from the set are already spoken for, so what should I do for the fifth?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

apophenium posted:

Gonna be GMing the beginner scenario for this today. Problem is, I had more people interested than I expected. The four characters from the set are already spoken for, so what should I do for the fifth?

On the support page on the fantasy flight site for the beginner game there are two extra characters you can download for free in pdf form.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

apophenium posted:

The FFG site has the extra pregens Mathus the Technician and Sasha the Explorer.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How does aiming for two maneuvers work? Specifically the targeting bits of the opponent to hinder him? It looks like one aim gets your target two black dice, but two aims gives him one? Do they keep the black die penalty for the entire encounter when you aim twice?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Swags posted:

So, I was considering DMing the Dawn of Defiance game on the forums here. Dawn of Defiance was written for Saga Edition, in ten parts, going from level 1 to 20.

What do you guys think would be an equivalent amount of experience to hand out to PCs in this game? 100 per level equivalent? The adventures tell you around when let your PCs level, so would handing out a hundred XP be acceptable around that time?

I don't know about the xp, but let me know when you decide to run it or not, I've been itching to play some EotE and my regular group can't seem to get their act together to do it. I don't have the AoR beta but hopefully that wouldn't be an issue

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Thread: Star Wars: After the Escape
System: Fantasy Flight Game's new Star Wars system. Combines Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion.
Format: Play by Post
Players: 5-7.

Description: You and your crew have finally done it. You've escaped the palace and the city controlled by Teemo the Hutt. Aboard your stolen space freighter, Krayt Fang, you've got the entire Galaxy out before you and only one angry worm on your tail.

Shameless repost from the recruitment thread, for those that don't read that.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So my players cashed in Bandin Dobah's bounty on Sleheyron to the Hutt, Thakba. The adventure really has you really ham it up regarding Thakba's gratitude (letting the players watch Dobah fight and die in arena combat from his private skiff). Given his warm reception, they're excited to work for the Hutt when we play next week.

What kind of job would a low level Hutt send unknown but competent contractors on?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Clanpot Shake posted:

So my players cashed in Bandin Dobah's bounty on Sleheyron to the Hutt, Thakba. The adventure really has you really ham it up regarding Thakba's gratitude (letting the players watch Dobah fight and die in arena combat from his private skiff). Given his warm reception, they're excited to work for the Hutt when we play next week.

What kind of job would a low level Hutt send unknown but competent contractors on?

I had Sleheyron tell my players that he was loaning quite a bit of money and resources to a Duros geneticist (Dr. Klei Nerr :haw:) to make him awesome pitfighting champions, but hasn't seen any results and his latest guy sent to check up on Dr. Nerr didn't come back. Have the PC's follow up that lead. Take it how you want (giant ogre-Wookiees? Midiclorian-enhanced force-sensitive Gamorreans? The possibilities are infinite!) Think Mordin Solus crossed with Josef Mengele and take it from there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Okay, interest checking in here to get some non-IRC opinions... would anyone be interested in a EotE (but with AoR classes allowed) game set in the SWTOR era or maybe a little earlier, like during KotOR the game or even the Dark Horse Comics? It'd probably be about 3-4 players, with a fast and furious posting pace (updates every day or so, posting whether everyone posts or not) and mostly dealing with corporate/political intrigue and corruption with a band of random underside-of-the-law types that get sucked into a story that's larger than them.

Does that sound like it would be up anyone's alley? Or has the FFSW ship sailed and people's interest is now dead until the Jedi crap comes out?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Clanpot Shake posted:

Back in saga our GM had a pretty slick series of missions for a Hutt on Corellia where we were tasked with receiving and delivering a shipment of cargo containers past CorSec. Things got more complicated when we discovered (by accident) what was inside (cryo frozen slaves) which given the location were quite illegal.

hilarity ensued

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Okay, interest checking in here to get some non-IRC opinions... would anyone be interested in a EotE (but with AoR classes allowed) game set in the SWTOR era or maybe a little earlier, like during KotOR the game or even the Dark Horse Comics? It'd probably be about 3-4 players, with a fast and furious posting pace (updates every day or so, posting whether everyone posts or not) and mostly dealing with corporate/political intrigue and corruption with a band of random underside-of-the-law types that get sucked into a story that's larger than them.

Does that sound like it would be up anyone's alley? Or has the FFSW ship sailed and people's interest is now dead until the Jedi crap comes out?

I'd totally be interested in a KOTOR game. I love the setting. I'd suggest more players though, if only because most people don't post every day.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Bedurndurn posted:

How does aiming for two maneuvers work? Specifically the targeting bits of the opponent to hinder him? It looks like one aim gets your target two black dice, but two aims gives him one? Do they keep the black die penalty for the entire encounter when you aim twice?

That kind of aiming is for targeting specific parts of the body or equipment that the opponent might have. So for a single maneuver of aim the character gets 2 setback dice on the next combat check (showing that it's harder to hit a small part of someone, rather than all of them). A second aim maneuver, prior to a combat check, reduces the penalty to only 1 setback die (showing that by taking your time, it'll be easier to hit that small part). It's only until the next combat check do these penalties exist.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
It was my understanding that setback and bonus dice didn't cancel each other, and the setback dice from "called shot" happen regardless of whether or not you "aim."

So if you had Ranged 2 and AGI 3, and the opponent was behind light cover, and you aimed for two maneuvers you would roll 2 of the yellow d12, one green d8, two blue d6 (Aim bonus) and 1 black d6 (cover penalty).

Aiming for a specific part of the opponent (We'll say "disarm") would change that roll to two yellow d12, one green d8, two blue d6 (aim bonus), and 3 black d6(cover + called shot penalties).

Is this incorrect?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dangerous Covenants is shipping :cheers:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tactical Bonnet posted:

It was my understanding that setback and bonus dice didn't cancel each other, and the setback dice from "called shot" happen regardless of whether or not you "aim."

So if you had Ranged 2 and AGI 3, and the opponent was behind light cover, and you aimed for two maneuvers you would roll 2 of the yellow d12, one green d8, two blue d6 (Aim bonus) and 1 black d6 (cover penalty).

Aiming for a specific part of the opponent (We'll say "disarm") would change that roll to two yellow d12, one green d8, two blue d6 (aim bonus), and 3 black d6(cover + called shot penalties).

Is this incorrect?

You'd also need to roll difficulty dice based on the distance to target.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I thought you didn't get the extra Boost dice for Aiming for a called shot. You either get the Boost dice for declaring a general Aim action, or you get the Setback dice for pulling a called shot with the number of Setback reducing as you keep Aiming. Also that there was no way to do a called shot without Aiming.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Aiming works two ways:

Either you get a boost for one round of aiming, or 2 boost for 2 rounds of aiming

OR

You call a shot, and get 2 setback dice, or 1 setback die for 2 rounds of aiming

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
For some reason, I completely missed that the person who got the setback dice was the person doing the aiming. At least that explains why two maneuvers meant fewer dice. Follow up question, what's the effect of crippling/disarming someone via a called shot? Since you don't get the blue dice from that sort of aim, you're effectively going 3 steps in the black dice axis (not exactly, since black and blue don't directly cancel, but you get my meaning hopefully).

Since a blue die is on average 1/3 of a success and 2/3rds of an advantage, and a black die is 1/3rd of a fail and 1/3rd of a threat, a called shot gets you a net fail and 4/3rds of a threat when compared to a conventional aimed shot.

You do gain a boon that would normally be 3 advantage to buy, but you maybe skip doing all your weapon damage to the target (shooting a dude's gun probably doesn't do damage to the dude), and you probably get nothing at all if you end up with a net failure. I'm sure there's a multidimensional plot of user skill, shot difficulty, weapon damage, soak, etc that you could make to figure out the specific circumstances where a called shot is in your favor, but I would guess that it's way more helpful for your overall goals if you just aimed at and shot the guy normally in drat near every situation.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 19, 2014

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Clanpot Shake posted:

Which is funny because when I played that sequence it bugged out and I was essentially just pulling on this thing in the sky futilely and forever. Lends a lot of weight to the wizard superiority argument!
I don't recall it being anything wrong with the mechanics themselves, just the on-screen prompts being flat-out wrong... meaning that you should ignore them and go by feel. :haw:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is there a Star Wars goon IRC channel?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Clanpot Shake posted:

#sweote on synirc

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Clanpot Shake posted:

#sweote on irc.synirc.net seems to be the place where star wars edge of the empire goons hang out.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

reading up on Corellian Human...I'm really confused by its purpose as a subspecies. With the exception of a *pure* pilot (which would probably have to forego ability scores due to xp constraints) that starts with a 3 in *one* piloting skill they seem objectively worse than default humanity.

I've been trying to reconstruct a Corellian character of mine using their rules and every time i either have to sacrifice a point in Agility to purchase more skills or have an objectively less capable character at creation.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

treeboy posted:

reading up on Corellian Human...I'm really confused by its purpose as a subspecies. With the exception of a *pure* pilot (which would probably have to forego ability scores due to xp constraints) that starts with a 3 in *one* piloting skill they seem objectively worse than default humanity.

I've been trying to reconstruct a Corellian character of mine using their rules and every time i either have to sacrifice a point in Agility to purchase more skills or have an objectively less capable character at creation.

I don't have the book. What are their game mechanics?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

They don't get the two free skills. They get a rank in each of the Piloting skills instead and can buy up to 3 in either of those at character creation.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

PantsOptional posted:

They don't get the two free skills. They get a rank in each of the Piloting skills instead and can buy up to 3 in either of those at character creation.

they get a point in *one* of the two piloting skills at creation. Then normal career/specialization skills with the exception of being able to go to rank 3 on Piloting. If they got a free rank in *both* piloting skills it might be a bit more on par with standard humanity.

The biggest problem with the 3 ranks at creation is the xp cost.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Holy crap, that's pretty terrible. I guess the way to go is to take extra Obligation? Every single Corellian is apparently an ace pilot in debt to the Hutts (presumably because he doesn't have the skills required to realize that's a bad idea).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Corellians are literally just a Pilot Race. If you don't want to be a pilot, be a regular human who is Corellian.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

^^^ except I can make a standard Human Pilot who is just as good, except better at other things (like shooting) than Corellian Humans, so it even fails at the "Pilot" thing.

yeah not sure how designers figured one (probably) class skill equates to two non-class skills in terms of xp-equity. Especially when maxing out ability scores means that xp budgets towards the end of char creation are very tight and often require extra obligation anyway.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I suppose it depends how much you like non-career skills. Either way, don't sacrifice agility or any other attribute just to get the skill to rank 3.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

Wait, why are we talking about buying up to 3 at creation? You get a free rank for choosing Pilot, a free rank for choosing Smuggler, and a free rank for choosing Corellian, right? Total cost: 0 XP. A regular human can't be at 3 no matter what at start, let alone for 0 XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

homullus posted:

Wait, why are we talking about buying up to 3 at creation? You get a free rank for choosing Pilot, a free rank for choosing Smuggler, and a free rank for choosing Corellian, right? Total cost: 0 XP. A regular human can't be at 3 no matter what at start, let alone for 0 XP.

you could, but i feel like you'd be a pretty uninteresting one trick pony.

• Locked thread