Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
They've been really cracking down on poo poo posts as of late, and the moderators seem to be selected by their quality rather than how connected they are with the other moderators.

There are effort posts where there use to be nothing but crap, it's getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A shame for all those Irrational employees losing their jobs. 5 years in development for the game we got just means their management were just incompetent and/or there as no big artistic vision. Grand Theft Auto V was in development that long and that game is huge, Bioshock Infinite has no excuse. A shame those management are guaranteed jobs while the average will struggle to find work.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Scoops and the Wolf are live now talking about this. Also while I understand the sentiment, people on Twitter going "Oh great, we're going to get more awesome indie games out of this!" are perhaps focusing just a little bit on the wrong things here.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Captain Internet posted:

Isn't neogaf just no mutants allowed but for all video games?
That would be this place.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Also what are the bets that in six months time Ken Levine "amicably" leaves 2K to "pursue other opportunities" like so many other studio video games auteurs have over the years.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jimbot posted:

5 years in development for the game we got just means their management were just incompetent and/or there as no big artistic vision. Grand Theft Auto V was in development that long and that game is huge, Bioshock Infinite has no excuse.

So your two complaints are that Bioshock Infinite has no artistic vision (lol) and isn't as "huge" as Grand Theft Auto V, the game that's made by a billion people with an infinite budget? Really?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Depths posted:

Most people actually like games over there while almost everyone here are cynical beyond reasoning.
BARONS isn't all of SA, to the surprise of many.

Mutation posted:

They've been really cracking down on poo poo posts as of late, and the moderators seem to be selected by their quality rather than how connected they are with the other moderators.

There are effort posts where there use to be nothing but crap, it's getting there.
You know what they say about polished turds. It's still basically a news feed with a newspaper website-level comments section.

Jimbot posted:

A shame for all those Irrational employees losing their jobs. 5 years in development for the game we got just means their management were just incompetent and/or there as no big artistic vision. Grand Theft Auto V was in development that long and that game is huge, Bioshock Infinite has no excuse. A shame those management are guaranteed jobs while the average will struggle to find work.
If Ken Levine were smart (and Bioshock Infinite's agonized development cycle argues against that) he'd sit down with Tim Schafer and/or Sid Meier and learn that instead of laying off everyone but 15 people to do a smaller project, maybe splitting everyone into 15-man teams each doing their own smaller project would result in more, cooler stuff. That'd require managing a game development studio instead of writing a Logan's Run reboot, though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

VDay posted:

So your two complaints are that Bioshock Infinite has no artistic vision (lol) and isn't as "huge" as Grand Theft Auto V, the game that's made by a billion people with an infinite budget? Really?

No. I'm saying that GTAV was in development for 5 years because it was a game on a massive scale. Bioshock Infinite was in development for 5 years and it was one big giant bag of mediocrity. It just tells me management meandered a lot due to their incompetence or lack of an overall artistic vision.

Edit: Shawn Elliot needs a job. Go get him, Jeff.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 18, 2014

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I'm kind of surprised that no one has set up a twitch plays pokemon style stream for Nidhogg yet.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Sedgr posted:

I'm kind of surprised that no one has set up a twitch plays pokemon style stream for Nidhogg yet.

There was one for street fighter 2 where the chat played against itself.

There's also a hearthstone one that's pretty funny.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

The Kins posted:

BARONS isn't all of SA, to the surprise of many.
You know what they say about polished turds. It's still basically a news feed with a newspaper website-level comments section.
If Ken Levine were smart (and Bioshock Infinite's agonized development cycle argues against that) he'd sit down with Tim Schafer and/or Sid Meier and learn that instead of laying off everyone but 15 people to do a smaller project, maybe splitting everyone into 15-man teams each doing their own smaller project would result in more, cooler stuff. That'd require managing a game development studio instead of writing a Logan's Run reboot, though.

I doubt Irrational would have kept the 200 people even if they would have done another Bioshock on the same budget - 200 seems too much for the whole development time even for such a project. But yeah, other ways would probably have been possible.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm sure Levine's employees are ecstatic.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

crowfeathers posted:

Yeah the 15 that are still employees probably are

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Jimbot posted:

If the post on the Irrational page is true, this has nothing to do with the quality or sales of their games (I did not like BI, by the way, but I don't think it's true that there's no artistic vision. Even Uwe Boll's Postal movie has an artistic vision, whatever the gently caress that means).

Sounds like Ken Levine, who has a great long-term contract with Take Two, just decided to lay off 185 people to make smaller games or maybe he just wants more time to write movies or whatever.

edit: The lesson here to would-be game developers: Even if you make a game that makes it on all the top ten lists (deserved or not), you're still going to get fired! Congrats!

emoticon fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 18, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

emoticon posted:

If the post on the Irrational page is true, this has nothing to do with the quality or sales of their games (I did not like BI, by the way, but I don't think it's true that there's no artistic vision. Even Uwe Boll's Postal movie has an artistic vision, whatever the gently caress that means).

Sounds like Ken Levine, who has a great long-term contract with Take Two, just decided to lay off 185 people to make smaller games or maybe he just wants more time to write movies or whatever.

That's the thing I'm most angry about. Most people in his position just leave the company, take the people they like and are willing and start up a new company. Not cost a large amount of people their jobs. I hope no one in their right mind works for that man again - the this whole thing is just terrible.

Edit: Like Alex said in the show, there aren't many game companies in the greater New England area so those 185 people (or however many) are poo poo out of luck.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 18, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

But no one can be THAT big of a narcissistic tool, right?

Right?

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

Mutation posted:

But no one can be THAT big of a narcissistic tool, right?

Right?

Seems a little premature to assume that Ken Levine is just a sociopath and decided one day "I'm bored, I want to do another thing and hopefully poo poo on all the people that have helped me at irrational for over a decade".

It could very likely be true but I'll wait a bit longer before getting outraged.

EDIT: Okay maybe he is a sociopath

cyxx fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 18, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

crowfeathers posted:

His former employees starting to loose the stories.

DannyHibiki
Feb 8, 2001

Once you POP, you can't STOP!

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Also what are the bets that in six months time Ken Levine "amicably" leaves 2K to "pursue other opportunities" like so many other studio video games auteurs have over the years.

Take-Two not 2K.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

DannyHibiki posted:

Take-Two not 2K.

It's not an either/or, Taake Two owns 2K games and 2k games is the Bioshock publisher, meaning they were probably in closer contact with Levine than Take-Two.

DannyHibiki
Feb 8, 2001

Once you POP, you can't STOP!

Biggest human being Ever posted:

It's not an either/or, Taake Two owns 2K games and 2k games is the Bioshock publisher, meaning they were probably in closer contact with Levine than Take-Two.

That may be true but in his laterz letter he says that he will be working with Take Two. 2K will handle Bioshock.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

So Camp Santo is now literally Idle Thumbs: The Game Studio?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

DannyHibiki posted:

That may be true but in his laterz letter he says that he will be working with Take Two. 2K will handle Bioshock.

You're right. I'm sorry, should've read a bit more carefully.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Mutation posted:

More or less. Nick Breckon still works for telltale and Steve Gaynor still has Fullbright, but the main podcast crew is all at campo Santo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Anyone try Banished yet? Is it good. I MUST KNOW. MY FINGER IS HOVERING OVER THE BUY BUTTON

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Anyone try Banished yet? Is it good. I MUST KNOW. MY FINGER IS HOVERING OVER THE BUY BUTTON

There is a thread over in Games

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Kins posted:

His former employees starting to loose the stories.

Well, both Steve Gaynor and Chris Remo only worked there for about a year and then got outta dodge. Given how that game reportedly changed constantly during development, I can't say I'm surprised it sounds like it was a nightmare to work on.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Mutation posted:

Don't forget Olly Moss!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Ken Levine seems like a total douche anyway, I guess this helps add to that persona!

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Ken Levine joined an xbox live party and talked about system shock 2 with me and my pals a few years ago. I've always been a big fan and I hope there is more to the story than him just firing 200 people due to creative differences and his own lack of management skills.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Does he really have the power to just fire all those people? I mean, 2K or whatever must have approved it to go through. Otherwise you'd think they would want to keep those people together like Infinity Ward.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Mu Zeta posted:

Does he really have the power to just fire all those people? I mean, 2K or whatever must have approved it to go through. Otherwise you'd think they would want to keep those people together like Infinity Ward.

Not if Levine is the only person they care about.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Liquid Penguins posted:

Ken Levine joined an xbox live party and talked about system shock 2 with me and my pals a few years ago. I've always been a big fan and I hope there is more to the story than him just firing 200 people due to creative differences and his own lack of management skills.

The only situation I can imagine in which he does not look callous at best and sociopathic at worst is if Take-Two said: Despite the Bioshock franchise earning critical acclaim and over $500 million in revenue, we're shutting your studio down for some reason, but the terms of your contract say that you, Ken Levine, are bound to us forever. And Ken Levine, knowing he can't fight back against his extremely lucrative contract that he spent months re-negotiating which (supposedly) grants him free reign to run his studio how he wants and individual royalties (!), begs to take his fifteen most needy employees as a compromise.

edit: However, keep in mind that people have left his studio over the years (including some of the original Bioshock team) because they didn't like him. Which is common enough at any studio, but there is a possibility that Ken Levine may be kind of a dick and we gamers just didn't really know about it. What I'm saying is, if the man wanted to keep the studio open, given what we know about his relationship with Take-Two, he probably could have.

emoticon fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 18, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

emoticon posted:

edit: The lesson here to would-be game developers: Even if you make a game that makes it on all the top ten lists (deserved or not), you're still going to get fired! Congrats!

Hasn't that pretty much always been the lesson? Unless you luck into getting a job in one of the few studios that both cares about their employees and makes games that are successful enough to give people at least some job security, you're pretty much always in danger of being let go.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I know I'm a bit late on the Titanfall discussion, but BARONS is completely off-base when it comes to talking about the auto-pistol. The video posted was of a single-use death bonus that has to be selected before the match then triggered in-match, but regardless, I know I'm lovely at most console shooters, but save for some minor balance changes in regards to how someone who's super proficient at using it could abuse it, it's really not game-breaking in the way I thought it would be going in. It takes long enough to lock onto someone that, it seems, nine times out of ten, you won't win a head-on battle with someone who has another weapon.
I'm really enjoying the beta (it's sold me on the game, actually), and I guess I'm probably more casual than most (I really liked Halo 4, so I guess I'm a monster), but I like the mec- Titan combat and it's a fun game :shobon:

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 18, 2014

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It still looks like another boring shootmans game to me.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Titanfall would be a good game if it had servers in the country that I live in. Not really a fan of those "Hey there's a Titan!" *retrying connection* moments.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Scylo posted:

Titanfall would be a good game if it had servers in the country that I live in. Not really a fan of those "Hey there's a Titan!" *retrying connection* moments.

Do you have a sky where you live? Cause there should be some fuckin clouds, you fuckin liar.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pokemon's now the #1 channel on twitch by about 12k over LoL. The dynamic that half the anarchy/democracy side have to keep voting while the other half has to send in directions for their side and seeing cooperation upon seeing 95K random people working towards a goal is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

^^I'm surprised to see it going up during work hours, but this might be the perfect stream to leave idle on a second monitor while doing work.

Mokinokaro posted:

That's probably Clockwork Empires by the Dungeons of Dredmore developers you're thinking of.

That's the one! Thanks dude.

• Locked thread