Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There used to be a list on wikipedia of characters that were dropped from shows with no explanation. The gold standard of which is Judy Winslow in Family Matters.

Revenge comic books motherfucker!!!

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

There used to be a list on wikipedia of characters that were dropped from shows with no explanation. The gold standard of which is Judy Winslow in Family Matters.

Revenge comic books motherfucker!!!

Uh, it's not called "Judy Winslow Syndrome", it's called "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome". *He* is the gold standard.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Uh, it's not called "Judy Winslow Syndrome", it's called "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome". *He* is the gold standard.

more like the old standard

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

GreenNight posted:

That's because too many people get off on "calling it" when poo poo happens.

I think people just latched on to the ritualistic mystery element a little too hard and now expect some kind of massive "Gotcha!" ending where we find out that Cthulhu or one of the main characters has been behind it all along. Which is a shame, because I don't think the show has telegraphed that at all and is much more interested in showing the journey of the two detectives than tricking the audience with some goofy plot twists.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I haven't watched True Detective at all yet (they're all on my DVR), but I was speaking more to TVIV generally.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Halfway through Hannibal s1, I need to gush about how amazing the score is. For the first few episodes, it was mostly this dreamy blend of ambient, industrial noises that heightened the hallucinogenic quality of the cinematography (I particularly love how seamless the music makes the transitions from one scene to another). And then we get the full on Hannibal episode with Sorbet and it's just pure operatic bombast, which reflects the showmanship inherent in this great dinner party of his. And, uh, loving brilliant casting having Gillian Anderson be his psychiatrist.

How is this show on NBC?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's barely on NBC.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think it's just on NBC because they either bought the show first or paid the most. Fuller's said in interviews that he's not really worried about ratings and made it sound like if NBC drops it then there's basically a line of other channels waiting to scoop it up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

How long did they have Chuck on Happy Days before he vanished? Judy as a character for quite a while before she was sent down the memory hole.

The Fringe example is kind of weird because she was only there for like 2 or 3 episodes before they dropped her. So it wasn't really long enough for anyone to form an opinion on her. Really she shouldn't have gotten off the drawing board because the character was fairly redundant, they already had a young, pretty black female FBI agent.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

escape artist posted:

I finished the first season of Fringe, and frankly, I don't feel compelled to click "next episode" and start Season 2.

I'm kinda surprised to hear that. I thought the first season ramped up quite nicely towards the end. Are you just generally burned out on it or don't you like the direction the show's going?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fringe isn't very good if you binge watch it. A lot of the episodes can feel same-y. I think the show really takes off in the second and third seasons though and worth watching if you like fun and wacky scifi. First season is boring.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

Halfway through Hannibal s1, I need to gush about how amazing the score is. For the first few episodes, it was mostly this dreamy blend of ambient, industrial noises that heightened the hallucinogenic quality of the cinematography (I particularly love how seamless the music makes the transitions from one scene to another). And then we get the full on Hannibal episode with Sorbet and it's just pure operatic bombast, which reflects the showmanship inherent in this great dinner party of his. And, uh, loving brilliant casting having Gillian Anderson be his psychiatrist.

How is this show on NBC?

Sorbet is like, when the show actually starts.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

VDay posted:

I think it's just on NBC because they either bought the show first or paid the most. Fuller's said in interviews that he's not really worried about ratings and made it sound like if NBC drops it then there's basically a line of other channels waiting to scoop it up.

Yeah, pretty much. It's an international co-production that NBC just happened to buy the broadcast rights to, so it's similar to Friday Night Lights in that they can soak up the prestige without having to worry as much about the Live+SD. That's why I was so certain they were going to hold Season 2 for Summer, where the numbers wouldn't be a big part of the conversation, but shipping it off to Fridays does mostly the same job.

And if NBC decides they can't support it, a cancellation would just mean that they'd have to find a new home, and would by no means be the end of the road. At the very least, Amazon would very likely be game.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It's an international co-production that NBC just happened to buy the broadcast rights to, so it's similar to Friday Night Lights in that they can soak up the prestige without having to worry as much about the Live+SD. That's why I was so certain they were going to hold Season 2 for Summer, where the numbers wouldn't be a big part of the conversation, but shipping it off to Fridays does mostly the same job.

And if NBC decides they can't support it, a cancellation would just mean that they'd have to find a new home, and would by no means be the end of the road. At the very least, Amazon would very likely be game.

I would not be shocked if that is not part of the contract they signed with Amazon. That if it is cancelled they have first rights to it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I take back everything I said about Intelligence. The leads are charming enough, but the actual programme is just offensively dumb.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mu Zeta posted:

Fringe isn't very good if you binge watch it. A lot of the episodes can feel same-y. I think the show really takes off in the second and third seasons though and worth watching if you like fun and wacky scifi. First season is boring.

The end of season 2 and beginning of 3 are probably my favorite dozen episodes of Fringe. Between Peter, White Tulip, and the Bolivia arc, it's some fantastic television. Unless you're actively not enjoying it, I'd say just watch the beginning/middle of season 2 at your leisure, and then sit down and marathon the end.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So, for those interested, Hitfix is doing their own March Madness-style brackets. The theme is "Heroes vs. Villains," seeding heroic and villainous characters from TV and film in their own brackets, and pitting them against each other in a battle for the popular vote. Of course, one problem with this is that TV's rise to prominence has been due to its ability to exploit the rise of the anti-hero, which leaves Hitfix with six characters that the staff isn't sure whether to file under "hero" or "villain."

So they're going to leave it to their readers instead. If you're game, you have 48 hours to tell Hitfix whether Walter White should be considered a hero or a villain.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DivisionPost posted:

So, for those interested, Hitfix is doing their own March Madness-style brackets. The theme is "Heroes vs. Villains," seeding heroic and villainous characters from TV and film in their own brackets, and pitting them against each other in a battle for the popular vote. Of course, one problem with this is that TV's rise to prominence has been due to its ability to exploit the rise of the anti-hero, which leaves Hitfix with six characters that the staff isn't sure whether to file under "hero" or "villain."

So they're going to leave it to their readers instead. If you're game, you have 48 hours to tell Hitfix whether Walter White should be considered a hero or a villain.

"Villain" appears to be by far the popular answer there, which I would not have called judging by fan reaction.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its really hard to define Walter White as a hero considering the events of the last season. However, if you based it on seasons 1-4, you could easily make the case Walter was an anti-hero who only took down baddies far worse than himself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MMMMMM that's juicy chum...

e: ahaha BBC got SIR David Attenborough to do curling commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPYOoPy3t5A

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 18, 2014

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

zoux posted:

This is the best and I wish the Olympics were commentated like this all the time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

MMMMMM that's juicy chum...

Could be better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP11L9jRW94

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Tosh.0 is coming back tonight. Does anyone give enough of a poo poo about it to where I could make a new thread? We used to have at least one but it's long gone.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Hazo posted:

Tosh.0 is coming back tonight. Does anyone give enough of a poo poo about it to where I could make a new thread? We used to have at least one but it's long gone.

There is a general Comedy Central thread now, if there isn't enough interest. (Here)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah feel free to write something for the OP and I'll copy/paste it in with credit. I don't watch Tosh so I wouldn't really know what to write tbh.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DominoDancing posted:

I'm kinda surprised to hear that. I thought the first season ramped up quite nicely towards the end. Are you just generally burned out on it or don't you like the direction the show's going?

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I was watching 2-5 episodes a day, and I was getting tired of "Walter knows exactly what this weird thing is because he experimented on it, and thus there really is no conflict for this 43 minutes!"

But it did take some good turns in terms of the main plot, and I fully intend to continue watching it. Probably at a much slower pace though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh God, I hate Daniel Tosh. I really do. So punchable.

So hey, let me ask again: Does Masters of Sex get better as it goes? Episode 1 was alright, but didn't really grab me that much.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Tosh is a comic genius but I can't stand his show anymore. His stand-up, however, is fabulous.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a new Kroll Show tonight, even though it's not stickied. Just FYI because I saw a promo just now and it actually looked very funny, and also it had Rafi in it. :dance:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah feel free to write something for the OP and I'll copy/paste it in with credit. I don't watch Tosh so I wouldn't really know what to write tbh.

SEXISM LOL

*youtube videos*

RACISM LOL

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

escape artist posted:

Tosh is a comic genius but I can't stand his show anymore. His stand-up, however, is fabulous.
Huh, I'm sorta exactly the opposite. I used to like his stand-up (his first specials were great) but not so much anymore, and the show has grown on me a lot.

I'll throw something together and if it works then it works. Kroll's coming back too.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

precision posted:

There's a new Kroll Show tonight, even though it's not stickied. Just FYI because I saw a promo just now and it actually looked very funny, and also it had Rafi in it. :dance:

Tonight has: Bobby Bottleservice, Chelsea Peretti, Jason Mantzoukas, and Jon Daly-- who has been having an amazing, unsung season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

SEXISM LOL

*youtube videos*

RACISM LOL

The last time I watched Tosh.O this was pretty much literally how it went. It's like he doesn't even try.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Re: Masters Of Sex - yeah, I'd say it definitely gets better as it goes along. If you liked the pilot fine I don't see any reason why you wouldn't greatly enjoy the rest of the season. (Most of my favourite scenes of the season involve characters who aren't even in/are barely in the pilot).

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

escape artist posted:

I'm gonna work on True Detective, I guess.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched the Fringe pilot last week and enjoyed it. So I was pretty happy since I had prepared for a weak start from everything I've heard. Then I went to watch the second episode, got half way through it, and realized I wasn't the least bit engaged and had no idea what was going on. So I stopped and hadn't actually thought of it again until I read the last couple of pages here. Guess I'll pick it back up sometime this week.

I watched the True Detective pilot last week too and actually tried to watch the second episode twice today and was interrupted both times. I enjoyed the pilot a lot but its the sort of show I really want to sit down and focus on with absolutely zero distractions. And I just haven't been able to find the time for that.

So I guess for both shows I just need to find some time and focus my attention. And I still have to watch Hannibal for season 2, another show I want to focus on. I really need to find a weekend to myself with no work, visitors, or SNOW! No more snow!

Although from the sounds of it maybe the way to watch Fringe is in bunches. Like a couple of episode and then binge True Detective. Then a couple of episode and then binge Hannibal. Then a couple of episodes and binge House of Cards since I just got Netflix. At least that's a lot of great sounding tv to look forward to.

bobkatt013 posted:

The prequel is pretty awesome, and so is the third and forth seasons. However, it takes a while for the new Spartacus to find his grove, but once he does he is really good.

Yeah, I think it bears warning that there are a couple of things that might bring you pause or worry you that the show has gone downhill. First its the absence of Spartacus/change in actor which is hard to swallow at first but he grows into the role. The second is when the show leaves the ludus setting and expands and you can feel like you lost a key part of the show. The third would be deaths of important, great characters. But Spartacus overcomes all of this and manages to deliver again and again. I can safely say that the final episode ranked up there with the Breaking Bad finale as far as satisfying, great tv I saw last year.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 19, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So how's the new Tonight Show? Is it any different from Fallon's old show?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't really watch the shows in that timeslot, but Fallon's show seems to have a classic charm to it. The new set is really nice (albeit small, but I guess that just makes it realistic NYC!), and everything is styled really nicely. I don't know enough about Late Night to say this with conviction, but to me it feels like he wants to go back to the feel of the show from years ago, hence adding the 'Starring' Jimmy Fallon.

I probably won't watch it regularly beyond its first week, but it seems to be working well and nobody seems to be complaining. If you hate Fallon, that probably won't change, but the dude looks comfortable and it's been fun so far.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like seeing a guy who knows what the gently caress the internet is on Late Night. It's more of the under 40 generation than Leno and Letterman who are more the boomer gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Could be EVEN better
http://youtu.be/pvb_UmhB0pg

• Locked thread