Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Obsurveyor posted:

You may not want to buy the PS3 disc version. Load times are loving awwwwful and no hard drive install. :(

I have the 360 version installed and the load times still aren't that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

Erogamer review is up and it's poo poo.

A real shame, because their review for 2017 was fantastic.

Cara and Kieron are pretty much BFFs, so this is basically a running gag between them. EDF is either the best or most boring thing ever depending on which of the two of them you are.

She does hate the Air Tortoise, though. I think that she may secretly be an ant in disguise.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Mr Phillby posted:

I mean, I feel like it's fair to say that a person who would use "soupçon" in the second sentence of their video game review is not really the target audience for EDF.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I, Butthole posted:

It's saying $90AU to get it in 2-5 working days via Amazon, so the week to get via JB seems like it'll be worth while. Thanks for the heads up!

Have you seen this?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-AU/Product/Earth-Defense-Force-2025/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80244500805

Looks like it's available to buy on demand already? Can any aussies test this? I'm at work until about 9 hours from this post's time.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Well I just got my first freeze and I was only on the second mission online.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Those two reviews are pretty all inclusive for how I feel about EDF. I love 2017 and I know it punches way above it's weightclass and has more depth than you'd ever think...but it's difficult to tell people that it's a 9 out of 10 game without a lot of disclaimers. I sure as poo poo would not tell anyone to spend 60 dollars sight unseen on 2025 even if it is massively improved.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

neurotech posted:

Have you seen this?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-AU/Product/Earth-Defense-Force-2025/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80244500805

Looks like it's available to buy on demand already? Can any aussies test this? I'm at work until about 9 hours from this post's time.

Yeesh, if it was $50/$60 I'd probably buy it and keep my JB pre-order just so I could play it now, but at $90 for a digital version I'll wait.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
My only complaint about the co-op is it's not drop-in. Having to wait around in a room until the current mission is done isn't fun. Still, everything else about this game is awseome. The Gigantus tanks are brilliant this time, fast, maneuverable, and pack a decent punch. I'm hoping the aircraft are the same way. The Vegalta mechs are still rather ponderous, but not as crippingly so in 2017.

First time the soldiers started singing, I couldn't stop laughing.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I've been reading about EDF on here for a while, and I'm thinking about getting this new one for my son and I to play. He's been watching me play XCOM: EW and is all about killing aliens.

That said, the "M" rating gives me pause. Is it just for comically plentiful alien blood, or does the game get really gruesome or have really strong language? I wanna waste some invaders with my kid, but not if it will warp his young mind!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I tried to do the facebook thing to get a code and shared it to FB and sent a couple emails to different accounts, and nothing. Anybody get theirs? :(

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Unless they changed stuff from 2017, firmly the so - much - alien - blood category. Because there's a lot of alien blood.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Capoeira Capybara posted:

I've been reading about EDF on here for a while, and I'm thinking about getting this new one for my son and I to play. He's been watching me play XCOM: EW and is all about killing aliens.

That said, the "M" rating gives me pause. Is it just for comically plentiful alien blood, or does the game get really gruesome or have really strong language? I wanna waste some invaders with my kid, but not if it will warp his young mind!

I'm taking a quick break right now, but if you want I can stream some of the game on twitch?

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Based on EDF 2017 (and it looks like 2025 won't be any worse): Lots of alien blood. I don't think there is any human blood/dismemberment. All the bad guys are bugs or machines (or dragons now I guess). Lots of shouting and screaming, but no cursing. The voice-overs are really cheesy (deliberately so). The game looks and feels like old Japanese sci-fi B movies.

I played all of EDF 2017 co-op with my 10-year old son, and it was a blast. Probably the best time we have ever had in co-op games. Now I'm waiting for the UPS truck to arrive so I can play again with him at 17 :3:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FuSchnick posted:

I played all of EDF 2017 co-op with my 10-year old son, and it was a blast. Probably the best time we have ever had in co-op games. Now I'm waiting for the UPS truck to arrive so I can play again with him at 17 :3:

Man, that made me smile so hard. My 45 year old dad is getting back into games and EDF is the one game I've really wanted him to try and he's never gotten a chance to. I'm hoping I can convince him to play through this one with me since it's got online and I know he'd love it.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

Neo Helbeast posted:

I'm taking a quick break right now, but if you want I can stream some of the game on twitch?

Thanks, but I'm at work right now, otherwise I'd take you up on that. I'm just concerned that the wholesome alien death orgy might suddenly get all weird and tentacly, or a soldier might drop an F-bomb with my wife in the room. If that isn't a threat, I'm in!

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

coyo7e posted:

So I tried to do the facebook thing to get a code and shared it to FB and sent a couple emails to different accounts, and nothing. Anybody get theirs? :(

I haven't gotten it either, but someone posted earlier that the fine print said codes go out at the end of the promotion period, which I think was early March.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

They're not getting sent out until the promotion is over.

I looked it up on the ESRB site and it's just for the blood, since humans bleed some now. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if someone on the rating board saw the way the bugs savage civilians now (they maul them on the ground and throw them in the air like in Starship Troopers) and decided to err on the side of caution.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is the load times really bad for anyone else?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

coyo7e posted:

You have to wait until the 10th.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Game Informer gave it an 8/10.

Got my PS3 version, so UPS tracking was wrong. Played through the first mission, it looks and plays good. It did have a LONG pause for "Now Loading..." but it wasn't reading the disc at all. Just sitting there. Doing nothing.

Missing the dive moves. You can only jump now? What's up with that?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Philthy posted:

The Ranger for sure has a roll. Seen it on several streams.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Philthy posted:

Game Informer gave it an 8/10.

Got my PS3 version, so UPS tracking was wrong. Played through the first mission, it looks and plays good. It did have a LONG pause for "Now Loading..." but it wasn't reading the disc at all. Just sitting there. Doing nothing.

You can't dive directly forwards anymore, but try jumping at a 45 degree angle...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

can you dive directly forward in 2017? I have the portable version and can only do the 45 degree roll.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Awesome! posted:

can you dive directly forward in 2017? I have the portable version and can only do the 45 degree roll.

I vaguely recalled doing so, but it could've just been my brain reinterpreting the 45 degree roll as being forwards.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

it sounds like she honestly only did the first few stages.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
You couldn't dive forward in 2017. Forward and back do a little jump, anything past 45 deg towards the side does the dive roll. C'mon UPS, get your poo poo together, I want to play already.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

I vaguely recalled doing so, but it could've just been my brain reinterpreting the 45 degree roll as being forwards.

Yeah, same, I'll give it another go when I jump online later.

Speaking of online, I saw 10 servers that had a capacity of 2000 people on each.

There were about 26 people total spread across all of them.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Infinity Gaia posted:

2017 was always a story about a man (or pair of men) named Storm One rolling sideways to victory.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Anyone else having problems with the revive prompt not showing up? I feel bad for my dead teammates as I kick them around.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What the... I just beat a mission while dead! :psyduck:

It was Mission 16. Right at the end, everything just sorta converged and started unloading! There was nowhere to hide, Hectors were stomping their way in, flying drones were all firing on me, and I keeled over dead. Did the air raid trigger the end of the mission right before I died? I can't think of how else I pulled that off!

This game is the Most Fun! Eat it, alien robots, the EDF is so strong we can take you out even while dead!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't look like the game saves player 2's stats in split screen.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

mother fucker. 2 inches of goddamn snow today and UPS is telling me they couldn't deliver my package due to "emergency conditions." gently caress off.

quote:

With severe weather affecting the delivery area, UPS is balancing our priorities of employee safety and customer service. Our team is monitoring the situation and has contingency plans in place to minimize service disruptions.
yes 2 inches of powder in MA is severe weather :allears:

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 19, 2014

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Douche4Sale posted:

I haven't gotten it either, but someone posted earlier that the fine print said codes go out at the end of the promotion period, which I think was early March.

February 24th is when it ends, so I assume we'll get them then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

February 24th is when it ends, so I assume we'll get them then.

It says 2 weeks after it ends.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It says 2 weeks after it ends.

Ah, I was just going off the "Codes Delivered After Promotion Ends" on the sign up page, didn't read the fine print for when they'd actually be sent. Though it does say "up to 14 days" down there.

edit: I couldn't get Storm One to roll either, not sideways or backwards. I also can't figure out what the Technical controls are. I mapped them but they don't seem to do anything on foot or in a vehicle.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn't look like the game saves player 2's stats in split screen.
I think that's incorrect.

Here's what I've tested so far (playing split screen offline on the 360:
I load up my save on Profile A and have to select Profile B for the person playing split screen with me in offline coop. It seems that progress is kept for both classes used but only on Profile A's save. The save file on Profile A gets all the benefit.

So if you want to be a completionist grognard, it can be prudent to play in split screen with two different classes. Both will level up in health and you'll collect the completion check-mark for both classes in that difficulty for each mission played.

Will try a similar setup online, but I'm not sure how dickish that would be.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Edit: Found someone to split the cost with.

Also, the game is up on the US PSN store now. $50 with another $18 for the season pass, which is 45 more missions over the next month.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 19, 2014

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
You do not want to let your energy completely run out as a Wing Diver. That energy is your ammo and flight capability combined, let it deplete and you're standing there only able to run around for 5-10 seconds with only whatever's already loaded.

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's somehow simultaneously awful and amusing that the last mission I did (55) actually forced me to consider lag a game mechanic. I HAD to kill certain enemies early and not shoot certain things to keep lag to manageable level. This is such an EDF-type thing to happen it's incredible.

There were late-game weapons in Insect Armageddon that would cause the GPU on my xbox to wig out and display rainbow-colored static for about a half minute. We considered it a game mechanic. It was a powerful enough weapon that you would need to balance it's capability with the fact that you'd be effectively blind for 20-30 seconds.

So do the classes level by any chance in 2025? I can't deal with the Fencer's slowness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Computer Opponent posted:

So do the classes level by any chance in 2025? I can't deal with the Fencer's slowness.

No levelling. There's a video somewhere showing how you're meant to play the Fencer - it's the crazy-technical class. You can cancel out of shooting/blocking animations to dash-dodge almost constantly. Oddly enough, it's the fastest class.