Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

gizmodo but

Yeah im surprised at how low budget they are doing these things but it shouldn't be a huge surprise seeing as these restorative processes are just driven by talent and common place tools these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

idgi

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pagancow posted:

gizmodo but

Yeah im surprised at how low budget they are doing these things but it shouldn't be a huge surprise seeing as these restorative processes are just driven by talent and common place tools these days.

lol @ cover designer guy's tiny-rear end monitor.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

someone made a vertical video theater.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

christ, what an rear end in a top hat

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

i can only hope that at this point the room floods with poison gas
vertical video deserves no less

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

don't worry its just the latest arrivals and departures at their airport

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

pagancow posted:

It's a big android phone.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i guess all those people recording on their cell phones in veritcal mode were ahead of their time

i knew this would happen, actually. vertical makes sense in some use cases

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Peanut and the Gang posted:

It's a big android phone.

Holy poo poo! That's a lot of fail!

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

you should be required to watch it standing up imo

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

tru story, DFW airport setup vertical boards for flight arrivals/departures right inside the entry gates when driving in. they had to take them down when someone got killed being rear ended looking at them.

tldr vertical video boards kill

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Alighieri posted:

What codec does netflix use, really need to know this for a thesis I am making on spergs.

for real it uses VC-1 if you use the web interface (for lots of older content) or on some older streaming devices, h.264 on mobile or newer streaming devices

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

are those good codecs? or bad codecs?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
what's wrong with 10bit? Is there a specific transcoding method to avoid color banding without 10bit? so if I were say taking the South Park movie and converting it to a Format so that I could watch it on my Chrome Book , what would I use?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

BONGHITZ posted:

are those good codecs? or bad codecs?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609208&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post425777229

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Powercrazy posted:

what's wrong with 10bit? Is there a specific transcoding method to avoid color banding without 10bit? so if I were say taking the South Park movie and converting it to a Format so that I could watch it on my Chrome Book , what would I use?

10-bpc has 1024 steps between black and white.

If the source is 4:2:0 and has no banding, the new encode, if high enough bitrate, should not have banding either.

Banding is caused by not having any level of dithering, or noise to cover up the low resolution of the color channels

all consumer level video is delivered 4:2:0

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

required viewing:

https://vimeo.com/66531655

Fast Forward to 3:55

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Beeftweeter posted:

for real it uses VC-1 if you use the web interface (for lots of older content) or on some older streaming devices, h.264 on mobile or newer streaming devices

i am two vc's behind when i watch it on my lappy! that cant be good

h.264 appears twice on your list, but i dont know what kind of h.264 this is

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

codecs and containers are different things

codecs go inside containers

certain containers can only hold certain codecs

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Caimans video codec takes video quality for GBA to a new level thanks to multipass variable bitrate encoding, adaptive resolution changing and other advanced features you could expect to find only in high end video encoders for more powerful systems.
This page covers only Caimans codec Version 2.2, a new page with tech specs of Caimans codec pro should be out soon.

Multipass variable bitrate
Thanks to this advanced encoding techinque the user can choose the average bitrate or the final size of the encoded material and the Caimans codec will encode the footage exactly to match the requested average bitrate or to fit the requested size while giving more bitrate to the most complex scenes and saving it for static parts. This is a feature normally available only on high end mpeg encoders. The Caimans encoder does even better: you can also manually adjust the encoding parameters to give more bitrate to some particular sequences you care of, the Caimans encoder still averages to a bitrate that allows the whole encoded material to fit exactly in the requested space.

Dynamic resolution changing for very low bitrate encoding
For critical compression tasks, where the most compression is required at bitrates as low as 12-15Kbytes/sec, the Caimans encoder can dinamically decrease video resolution in the most complex parts of the footage to keep an acceptable quality even at high frame rates, and increase it in the most static parts; this is the same concept of the variable bitrate encoding but applied to the resolution instead of the bitrate. It is a "last resort" feature you can choose to activate when size really matters.

Dithering at play-time
Even if Gameboy advance only supports 32768 colors, the Caimans codec internally works in 24bit mode (16M colors). Starting from version 2.1 this addictional color information is used to perform a dithering at playtime, simulating the presence of more than 32768 colors. Expecially when working with computer generated images this feature greatly enhances the visual perception of the video. As an example let's take a look at the following picture:

The (A) frame shows the internal true color encoding of a Caimans video frame, (B) is the frame as it would be displayed by the gameboy without the use of dithering and finally (C) is the same frame displayed with the dithering function activated. As you can see expecially when looking at the floor, the (C) picture really looks like the true color source.
And here is a comparison between the Caimans codec and another GBA video codec not using dithering at play-time.

High frame rates
The Caimans codec can decode video up to 30 frames per second using only 70-80% of Gameboy Advance CPU.
High frame rates also means respect of the original frame rate, infact not all the video footage comes at 30 FPS, for example the Watchout movie, the Ornaments clip and most movie trailers are 24 FPS material, as you can see from the picture below (or you can download Watchout here, Ornaments here, and many movie trailers here, and check by yourself) so the caimans encoder performs a frame by frame compression, keeping exactly the original number of frames at the original frame rate. That's why you should not trust people saying "The decoding frame rate is kept constant to 30 FPS" or "x frames encoded at 30 FPS" even when dealing with 24 FPS material, because either they are cheating you, or they mean "Fakes Per Second" ;-)

Audio encoding
The Caimans codec 2.0 introduces a proprietary compressed audio system and can decode at frequencies ranging from 8 to 32 Khz at the highest quality you have ever heard on your GBA while using only 2 to 10 Kbytes/sec.

Low ram usage
Caimans codec can run either from iwram, ewram or rom and uses only 100 Kbytes of ram, including the space needed for the screen.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hoolleeyeyyy SHIIIIIIIIITTTT!!!!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Linguica posted:

Dithering at play-time
Even if Gameboy advance only supports 32768 colors, the Caimans codec internally works in 24bit mode (16M colors). Starting from version 2.1 this addictional color information is used to perform a dithering at playtime, simulating the presence of more than 32768 colors. Expecially when working with computer generated images this feature greatly enhances the visual perception of the video. As an example let's take a look at the following picture:

lol this is better than bink

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pagancow posted:

codecs and containers are different things

codecs go inside containers

certain containers can only hold certain codecs

ok

ok

so i should watch netflicks on my iphone?

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
yes

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
also there is http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol i got a sweet macroblocked gangtag thanks pagancow

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh thats what i get for browsing on my phone

on further inspection its just photoshop's lovely GIF lossy compression thingy

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

thirty k

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

pagancow posted:

normally i'd tell you whitnoise posters to take it somewhere else but its so cute seeing so many VLC/MKV icon posts that i can't tell you guys apart anymore.

You are literally white noise. Noone had any idea who you were until you started being an unfunny GBS mod.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Werthog 95 posted:

christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You are literally white noise. Noone had any idea who you were until you started being an unfunny GBS mod.

I did.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

look when it's all over we can call it a pagancow mindshare building exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

required viewing:

https://vimeo.com/66531655

Fast Forward to 3:55

this is legit very interesting thank you