Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!

Dominic White posted:

No levelling. There's a video somewhere showing how you're meant to play the Fencer - it's the crazy-technical class. You can cancel out of shooting/blocking animations to dash-dodge almost constantly. Oddly enough, it's the fastest class.

EDF!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Dominic White posted:

The game is up on the US PSN store. $50 with a $18 season pass. Anyone stateside want to split the cost on that? $34 each for Ultimate Bug Slaying Power? PM me (or email jdtarason@gmail.com, I guess) if you're in the US and can buy.

The season pass adds another 45 missions, on top of the regular 83. So, over 50% more explosions.

Or you could just support the developers of a niche series by not gaming a loophole in PSN "shares".

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Douche4Sale posted:

Or you could just support the developers of a niche series by not gaming a loophole in PSN "shares".

you should probably just buy two copies to make up for it

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Is there a way to mute or at least quiet the civilians? I've just started and holy poo poo are they annoying but I don't want to turn off voices since that will mute my allies too.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dominic White posted:

No levelling. There's a video somewhere showing how you're meant to play the Fencer - it's the crazy-technical class. You can cancel out of shooting/blocking animations to dash-dodge almost constantly. Oddly enough, it's the fastest class.

As someone who does main Fencer, the class is pretty much unplayable without either an Air Raider buddy or learning the dash cancel. You're just excruciatingly slow. But learning the dash cancel (the basic one, at the very least), is really easy. You just need to have a shield and a melee weapon equipped at the same time. Dash, reflect, dash, reflect. This will get you across levels shockingly fast.

Anyways, while this game does still suffer somewhat from the same-weapon-higher-stats issue, it really is much reduced, and there are amusing gimmick weapons of varying levels of utility spread throughout the whole difficulty curve. I just wish less Fencer missile launchers required an Air Raider buddy...

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Cowman posted:

Is there a way to mute or at least quiet the civilians? I've just started and holy poo poo are they annoying but I don't want to turn off voices since that will mute my allies too.

Every class carries at least two items that can make civilians shut up.

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Infinity Gaia posted:

As someone who does main Fencer, the class is pretty much unplayable without either an Air Raider buddy or learning the dash cancel. You're just excruciatingly slow. But learning the dash cancel (the basic one, at the very least), is really easy. You just need to have a shield and a melee weapon equipped at the same time. Dash, reflect, dash, reflect. This will get you across levels shockingly fast.

Anyways, while this game does still suffer somewhat from the same-weapon-higher-stats issue, it really is much reduced, and there are amusing gimmick weapons of varying levels of utility spread throughout the whole difficulty curve. I just wish less Fencer missile launchers required an Air Raider buddy...

Am I missing something with the Fencer's artillery cannon? It feels like anything short of a direct hit does nothing, but it *looks* like it has a splash effect.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

So I guess when you're in an online room and the other players have PLAY behind their info card they're currently in a stage and you should just wait for them to finish?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Dominic White posted:

That's awesome to hear. I was worried that I'd be a bit bored as the Fencer with lack of movement capabilities.

What's kinda the breakdown on how the Ranger and Air Raider play?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

general chaos posted:

I think that's incorrect.

Here's what I've tested so far (playing split screen offline on the 360:
I load up my save on Profile A and have to select Profile B for the person playing split screen with me in offline coop. It seems that progress is kept for both classes used but only on Profile A's save. The save file on Profile A gets all the benefit.

Right, but someone earlier was asking if there'd be a second save to transfer to a different 360.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Brackhar posted:

That's awesome to hear. I was worried that I'd be a bit bored as the Fencer with lack of movement capabilities.

What's kinda the breakdown on how the Ranger and Air Raider play?

Ranger is the dude from every other EDF (lots of weapon variety, no special abilities).

Air Raider is an odd one; you can fly. You have an energy bar that limits the flying; it slowly recharges. Every time you reload, you use a certain amount of your energy determined by weapon to reload the weapon. Certain weapons fire directly from your energy bar rather than requiring a reload (mostly continuous laser type weapons)

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Lynx Winters posted:

Every class carries at least two items that can make civilians shut up.

They even scream when dead :kheldragar:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

Ranger is the dude from every other EDF (lots of weapon variety, no special abilities).

Air Raider is an odd one; you can fly. You have an energy bar that limits the flying; it slowly recharges. Every time you reload, you use a certain amount of your energy determined by weapon to reload the weapon. Certain weapons fire directly from your energy bar rather than requiring a reload (mostly continuous laser type weapons)

That's wing diver. Air Raider is the one that calls in air support.

Speaking of which, I really really want to hear the satellite blast radio operator's voice in english. I hope she also screams "SATELLITE BLAST!!!!" like she was a dbz character.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Cowman posted:

They even scream when dead :kheldragar:

As an aside, I have never seen that smiley before and it's amazing.

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Is there any reason whatsoever to limiting civilian casualties? They start (well, continue) screaming when they get scooped up by a ravager, and you can save them, but should I bother?

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Brackhar posted:

As an aside, I have never seen that smiley before and it's amazing.

I was thinking the exact same thing right now.

Also, the Air Raider is a bit fiddly, especially in the early stages, but I'm quite enjoying him. The ability to call in a tank whenever I want helps a lot.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Computer Opponent posted:

Is there any reason whatsoever to limiting civilian casualties? They start (well, continue) screaming when they get scooped up by a ravager, and you can save them, but should I bother?
He who fights monsters is doomed to become one.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I decided to go back and play the first few missions on harder difficulties to see what they were like and maybe get better guns. I've been running assault rifle/rocket launcher as the Ranger. And within two stages I got a P78 Pound Gun (L3 - do levels mean anything?) and a L17 Goliath D1. And holy gently caress, dude!

That Goliath? It is absolutely amazing. 600 damage, 5s reload, 1 capacity. I don't see a rocket. I see a trail of flaming bloom and then multiple buildings blow up and any bugs around it fly 2 miles into the air. It is loving incredible! And it has a scope! And then the Pound has ricocheting bullets! And it was twice the damage as my assault rifle for the same clip size and reload speed!

I'm gonna see how high up I can go on these first three stages, see what kind of crazy rocket launchers I can find. I've never made such happy noises when playing a game as I did when I fired the Goliath and an entire city block blew up. This is incredible.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
The "level" of each weapon is used to denote ranges of power, essentially.

Some lobbies can restrict level ranges of weapons for use on different difficulties. So that people don't come into low level games and spam their genocide cannons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God drat this is so fun. My XBLA name is the same as my forum name if anyone wants to play, although my mic is acting up at the moment.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Is it just me or did the researcher sound like Drunk George Takai?

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Relentless posted:

Is it just me or did the researcher sound like Drunk George Takai?

I thought the same thing. I'm just going to assume it's him, because it's funnier that way. I hope he starts getting progressively gayer as the levels go on.

Anyway, since I bought two copies of this, if anybody's got a non-amazon pre-order bonus that they'd like to trade for my extra amazon code, let me know.

Computer Opponent fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 19, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Am I missing something with the Fencer's artillery cannon? It feels like anything short of a direct hit does nothing, but it *looks* like it has a splash effect.

It's only on direct hit, but since it's piercing, it can sometimes LOOK as if it has a splash effect.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Anyway, since I bought two copies of this, if anybody's got a non-amazon pre-order bonus that they'd like to trade for my extra amazon code, let me know.

I've got a Gamestop code for 360 - definitely willing to trade.
email me: trunten8 at that hotmail thing
Anyone else feel like Wing Diver is going to dominate the game for the first few weeks?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

general chaos posted:

I've got a Gamestop code for 360 - definitely willing to trade.
email me: trunten8 at that hotmail thing
Anyone else feel like Wing Diver is going to dominate the game for the first few weeks?

Wing Diver probably has the best effort-to-power ratio, and being able to you know, fly, makes them easily the most maneuverable class. Plus they have more interesting equipment, as a general rule, than the other easy class, the Ranger. Not that the Ranger weapons are boring, it's just that Wing Diver gets a laser chainsaw so you know.

Air Raider is somewhat too support-oriented for most people, even though it gets some seriously hilarious attack options later on (Orbital Cannon <3). And Fencer is the class that takes the most effort and skill to play properly. When you do, they're a serious force of destruction, but it can be really tough to get there.

Speaking of the Fencer and being a force of destruction, I just got a sword that, when fully charged, shoots a sword beam at a longer range than most of my actual ranged weapons. It's amazing.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

There's no way to get manual aiming like Fencer on the other classes is there? I need to go back and play 2017 because I don't remember the auto aim being so twitchy.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Obsurveyor posted:

There's no way to get manual aiming like Fencer on the other classes is there? I need to go back and play 2017 because I don't remember the auto aim being so twitchy.

There's auto aim!?

I didn't even know that was a thing, and I play every class a little bit. Is that a menu option somewhere?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I haven't noticed auto aim on my fencer because I was busy dual wielding gatling guns and laughing my rear end off.

I can't figure out how to dodge those red flashing spider tractor beams with the flying class, though.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's auto aim!?

I didn't even know that was a thing, and I play every class a little bit. Is that a menu option somewhere?

You can't not auto aim as the Ranger or Pale Wing as far as I can determine. It really sucks too when there's some ant 50 feet in the sky that my dude just won't stop trying to shoot. Makes flying tough as well.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I only noticed auto aim on a few weapons - specifically for some, but not all of the vehicle weapons.

I always assumed that one of the genius things about EDF is that you can avoid the need for auto-aim by making your targets giant loving monsters. But the wonky controls on the helicopter can make it a little necessary.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Obsurveyor posted:

You can't not auto aim as the Ranger or Pale Wing as far as I can determine. It really sucks too when there's some ant 50 feet in the sky that my dude just won't stop trying to shoot. Makes flying tough as well.

But I play as Wing Diver on occasion and I don't... Oh wait, do you have your controls set on Simple? I think that automatically turns on auto-aim.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

But I play as Wing Diver on occasion and I don't... Oh wait, do you have your controls set on Simple? I think that automatically turns on auto-aim.

It's "Technical" and "Normal" and I just figured out what Technical means... This makes things much better.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

So any word on split screen 2nd players keeping their unlocks or do they just use what player 1 unlocked?

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
So anyone else who bought a physical copy of the game, did you not get an instruction manual? I can't help but feel like GameStop is ripping me off somehow, as there was absolutely nothing in the case except for the game.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
So I'm playing on PS3 and having a blast so far, but while I expected the series trademark bad framerates I didn't expect them to be as bad as they are. I'm used to playing 2017 on 360 and it's overall framerate was without a doubt a few orders of magnitude higher than 2025 on the Triple. Even when nothings going on and all the enimes are dead, I still get what I'd guess is around 15 fps on this game. By contrast, when there were no enemies alive in 2017, things would be almost even smooth at around 30fps.

The Japanese PS3 footage I've seen on youtube mostly seems to run at a higher fps than I'm getting on my system. Could there be something wrong with my PS3 that might cause this? Anyone else on PS3 experiencing surprisingly low frame rates, even for an EDF game?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Seiren posted:

So anyone else who bought a physical copy of the game, did you not get an instruction manual? I can't help but feel like GameStop is ripping me off somehow, as there was absolutely nothing in the case except for the game.

Opened shrinkwrapped from Amazon: nothing in my PS3 box but the disc.

loving love Air Raider now. Nothing like bringing the framerate to it's knees with a howitzer strike and calling in the Whale to mow poo poo down while trucking in my tank. Unless you're real trigger happy, there's plenty of time for it to reload before you run out of ammo.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

incorporeal posted:

So any word on split screen 2nd players keeping their unlocks or do they just use what player 1 unlocked?
Progress is saved on the 2nd player's character class, but everything loads from and is saved to player 1's profile.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Seiren posted:

D3 did this with IA too. They're here for PS3 and here for XBox

EZgrease
Oct 21, 2004

Kammat posted:

D3 did this with IA too. They're here for PS3 and here for XBox

That's strange. I got a manual in mine (PS3) when I bought it used from Gamestop. It was in English AND French!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Player numbers on the Japanese servers seem unchanged from yesterday, so I guess that means you guys are on separate servers. Well, poo poo.

Does the US version have a Japanese voices option, by the way?