Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Ahh, that's true. I got confused because there was a group that was doing part 8 before getting chewed out for not adding them.

I don't really see how "this is how it was in the japanese, who cares if it doesn't really work in english" is a good argument. At that point you might as well start adding in honorifics, japanese name structure and a million other things that aren't being kept, and by that point you should probably just tell everyone to learn japanese and/or itallian.

The two languages are way to different in structure/grammar for these kinds of literal translations to feel natural, but maybe I'm just not :japan: enough to get it. Personally, my enjoyment of parts 1-3 would not be enhanced with japanese quotation marks.

e: now that I think about it, we could probably settle this pretty easily. Does the Viz translation include them all the time like this?

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Araki likes to add emphasis to words. That's literally all it is. More emphasis.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You could pretty easily get the same effect by bolding (which is what most manga do) but that's not nearly as amusing as [brackets].

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

You could pretty easily get the same effect by bolding (which is what most manga do) but that's not nearly as amusing as [brackets].

Especially when the brackets are used for [something super mundane] and they treat it with deadly seriousness. But that's pure JoJo's.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

BlitzBlast posted:

There's a chapter towards the end of part 7 (I think when Valentine is trying to convince Johnny not to kill him) where Araki just went fuckin' crazy with brackets. Like every other word in every single balloon was bracketed. And he also started drawing little pictures in the word balloons to make sure the point was crystal clear.

It was kind of hilarious, but I'm glad he eased up on it after that.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Please don't interfere with my enjoyment of the Jojo manga with your overzealous translation aspirations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress is ABAJ actually supposed to mean?

darealkooky posted:

If you're going over the Jojo project translations, please remove the overuse of 「japanese quotation marks」. It sounds kinda 「cool」 for stuff like 「stand」 names but their use of it is 「loving stupid」 and 「overused」. Nobody 「talks」 like this in 「english」 and it often gets as bad as 「several」 in a single 「speech bubble」

e: Actually now that I think about it I can't remember if they started doing that with part 6, or if that's only been for the part 5/7/8 stuff they've done. Point stands.

I haven't seen any at all in part 6 yet, but it bugged the poo poo out of me in other parts.

Fiend Computer posted:

Yeah, pretty much that.

As far as editing and stuff, I think you should try to trim down/even out the amount of words in each text bubble a bit. Like on the bottom of page three, where Hermes is trying to remember Jolyne's name, maybe making the text bubbles read like this:

"What are you-? What's your name again? It's Jo... Jolyne, right?"

"What about that guard? You said he saw something? What was it?"

Doing that will make the second bubble a lot easier to read, as well as making the two bubbles more balanced on that panel. I like keeping two topics separated while you can, and it fits the page more due to both bubbles being around the same size, and now having around the same number of words. You can feel free to edit the actual content to fit the character more, but it is good to try to keep the text on the page as even as possible for consistencies sake.

As far as font goes, I can't tell you the one that the original translation used, but I would suggest just getting something bolder over all so when you have to use small font, it will be easier to read.

Thanks for the feedback! I was actually hemming and hawing over trimming that panel for a long time, it didn't even occur to me to rejig some of the dialogue while I was at it.

Second pass before I dive in. I think I've settled on a font, but small bubbles are still a motherfucker.

gently caress every tiny rear end "this is absurd" bubble.

edit: V That poo poo drives me crazy in american comics too. V

Pomp fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 18, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
American comics also have ridiculous overuses of emphasis. And not just the Gold/Silver Age; modern comics love to have it too.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

My main beef boils down to the fact that bold and 「japanese quotation marks」 don't really read the same in english even though they're both technically doing the same thing.

Abaj is just the chinese character for shock or *gasp* or the like

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

darealkooky posted:

If you're going over the Jojo project translations, please remove the overuse of 「japanese quotation marks」. It sounds kinda 「cool」 for stuff like 「stand」 names but their use of it is 「loving stupid」 and 「overused」. Nobody 「talks」 like this in 「english」 and it often gets as bad as 「several」 in a single 「speech bubble」

Have you considered getting 「good taste」 instead?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pomp posted:

What the gently caress is ABAJ actually supposed to mean?

It's basically an onomatopoeia for being shocked. So it's like "Ah!" Or something.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Pomp posted:

I think his point was more that it's silly of me to worry about getting poo poo for editing something that's illegal in the first place.

Yeah that was the idea.

Some sub/scanlation groups will poo poo their pants with rage if you do stuff like that, but who cares?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Polnareff is the loving best, the anime should just skip all episodes before he is introduced.

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain
Regarding ABAJ - the Duwang scans for Part 4 left the character 啊 untranslated in the speech bubbles. It's read "ah" in Chinese (like an exclamation of shock), but in English it sort of looks like ABAJ.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

a cartoon duck posted:

Polnareff is the loving best, the anime should just skip all episodes before he is introduced.

Hey now, we can't be leaving out LET'S GO, now can we?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Man this looks so good.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I wish I could be half as fabulous as Polnareff.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You can be! Was it this thread, or the previous thread, where someone posted photos of actual models pulling off JoJo's designs?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I like how Avdol looks super intense even when smiling.

quote:

Now let's hope they picked the guy who's going to voice this fabulous hombre right. Hiroaki Hirata was pretty dang amazing as ASB Polnareff.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
New Ultra Jump, new Jojolion chapter. I have yet to reinstall photoshop, but 「quotation marks」 are really funny to me so I translated it in text form, quick and dirty-like.

Jojolion #29 posted:

p01
Side: What is Tsurugi's goal...?

Chapter 29 - Something Looms

p02-03
The fate of the Higashikata family was also inflicted on him...?!

Young Norijousuke: Mom... Is there really a 「disease」 that'll make my skin harden like bark?

Family tree: Tomoko + Norisuke III = Norisuke IV (born Jousuke)

Young Norijousuke: I'll lose my memories bit by bit, then turn to 「stone」 and die...

Tomoko: Who told you that?

Young Norijousuke: The kids from the other town said... That the first-born child of the Higashikata family is 「cursed」... They tease me about this scary sickness that's been going for generations...

Tomoko: Come here... Don't listen to such nonsense.

p04
Tomoko: Each and every person in this world have their own trials to face. But the Higashikata family is strong... We walk a 「righteous path」. You were born into the brave clan of Higashikata... You will be 「Norisuke the Fourth」.

Tomoko: A disease is something to be cured... There is a 「way」 to do so. It was the same for your father, and today he does splendid work...

p05
Norisuke: 「Tsurugi」...

p06-07
Jousuke: Are 「chestnuts」 from all over the city drawn here? ...They're picking up speed!

p08-09
Norisuke: 「Tsurugi」...

Norisuke: Tsurugi! Open the hatch right this instant!! Open it!!

Tsurugi: I'm giving Jousuke to 「him」. You're not the one being attacked, grandpa... Who cares about that Jousuke anyway... He's half 「Kira」... He's not a a child of the Higashikata clan.

Tsurugi: 「He」 can cure the disease. We struck a deal... If I give him Jousuke he will tell me how to cure my illness... That's why I lured Joousuke here.

p10
Norisuke: Tsurugi... It's not the way you 「think」! Open up!! Open this right now!

p11

p12
Jousuke: Uuh!! Uu. Aah!

p13
Jousuke: Th- this 「ability」... It's too strong.

Jousuke: They just keep on coming!! They're going for the center of my body!

Jousuke: They'll keep on accumulating until my body gives out.

p14
Jousuke: Hurry. Hurry. Norisuke-san! Don't rely on Tsurugi-chan! I told you to open it 「from the inside」 with your stand!!

p15

p16
Norisuke: Ha!!

p17
Norisuke: Ugh!!

Norisuke: Tsu- Tsurugi!!

Tsurugi: I can't give up now... You'll be fine, grandpa... He wants 「Jousuke」 gone.

p18-19
Jousuke: Uoooh!! Hurry up!! Open the hatch, open iiit!!

Norisuke: Gwah

p20
Norisuke: Uooh

Norisuke: I... My eyes!! I can't see!! And my stand power-!! We don't have the time to destroy the lock on this chain!

p21
Jousuke: No... We've got enough.

Jousuke: Time enough to break a chain is not a problem!

Jousuke: 「Soft & Wet」. My soap bubbles will steal the 「moisture」 from the burrs of the 「chestnuts themselves」...!!

p22-23
Jousuke: Now...!! I'm taking it... Pick up the rock and smash the hatch's 「chain」...!!

p24
Jousuke: The chestnuts' 「fibers」 are breaking down!!

Norisuke: I'll break it open! I'm smashing it!!

Norisuke: Get in, get in!!

Jousuke: The 「chestnuts」 are still coming! We're not outside of the [/b]「enemy's」[/b] range!

p25
Jousuke's thoughts: That 「man」 just now!

Norisuke: Go, go!! Get further inside!

p26
Norisuke: Put some more distance between yourself and the hatch!! Move!!

p27

p28
Norisuke: Tsurugi!! I'll 「forgive」 you just this once! You're family! I'll definitely protect you!

p29
Norisuke: But who is this 「he」?! ...Tell me!

Norisuke: Spit it out! I won't scold you!!

Tsurugi: He can 「heal」 me... 「Yagiyama Yotsuyu」. He'll cure me for sure...!! I saw it... He hates 「Jousuke」.

Norisuke: 「Yotsuyu」? ...Was it?

p30-31
Norisuke: That name... You said 「Yotsuyu」, didn't you? That's the name of an architect... I know him... 「Yagiyama Yotsuyu」...

Norisuke: He's 「the man who designed」 the family estate!

Side: An unexpected connection?!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapter 29 is up

Norisuke is turning out to be my favorite character of the series. And I think it's interesting that his son's stand ability might be similar to his because they both can "take apart" human bodies.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wasn't this chapter a bit short for a monthly series?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

A sickness during a snowstorm....sure sounds familiar.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm really glad than Norisuke's legit and an all-around awesome dude

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm really glad than Norisuke's legit and an all-around awesome dude

Is he though? From chapter 9:

Could be it's just he's pissed about seeing Josuke on top of his daughter, but what's all this "turn him into a slave" stuff?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tobaccrow posted:

Could be it's just he's pissed about seeing Josuke on top of his daughter, but what's all this "turn him into a slave" stuff?[/spoiler]

He'd need to be running a really deep and contrived long con, then. He's being way too useful and open with Jousuke.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 20, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I know of a certain wannabe lawyer/eventual vampire that was super nice to someone for nearly a decade.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He'd need to be running a really deep and contrived long con, then. He's being way too useful and open with Jousuke.

We've only seen him being super nice and supportive in the past three chapters - which granted is three months of irl time so it seems like he's been really nice lately, but I have a feeling the perception of him will be different by re-reading jojolion in full at once. I should do that, actually..

e: To clarify he's always been sorta nice to Gappy, but in a "you can take over my son's room while he goes to sleep in the garage" sort of way.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 20, 2014

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tobaccrow posted:

Could be it's just he's pissed about seeing Josuke on top of his daughter, but what's all this "turn him into a slave" stuff?

The dudes being protective of his young daughter, cut him some slack

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

darealkooky posted:

I know of a certain wannabe lawyer/eventual vampire that was super nice to someone for nearly a decade.

Norisukes wavy blond hair makes me think there's a connection.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tobaccrow posted:

Could be it's just he's pissed about seeing Josuke on top of his daughter, but what's all this "turn him into a slave" stuff?[/spoiler]

Remember that according to Norisuke, he needs Josuke alive because part may know a permanent cure the illness that plagues his family. He's also aware of Josuke's situation so he knows that there are no real memories to regain. Josuke is just the amalgamation of two people so his memories start the day his "parent's" ended. His search to find his original memories are something of a pipe dream and Norisuke has other plans for him. That part is definitely sinister but not 100% evil.

I get the impression that he wanted his daughter to ensnare Josuke and take his memories in order to keep him complacent, and possibly gain access to the cure. But things didn't go the way he planned and now he's worried about his daughter's new found attachment to Josuke. The last couple of chapters seems to be setting up a conflict between the Higashikata family, Josuke and whatever group of people that want him dead. Since they've put Tsurugi in the cross-hairs, I doubt that Norisuke is going to let whoever is running around go unpunished. It's badass grandpa time!!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Wasn't this chapter a bit short for a monthly series?

A lot of the pages were actually two page spreads.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
I think the reveal of Yagiyama being the architect of the Higashikata residence could be the reason he seems to be able to appear and disappear at will? Since he designed the place he'd know the layout of the grounds pretty well and I can see that translating into 'can find hiding spots anywhere'. Of course his stand power is still a big mystery. It's got elements if the Dimensional Wall that Valentine had but then there's the weird stuff with the plastic wrap... I'm really excited to find out what it is in a month or two!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I just noticed this really but Norisuke's hair seems a lot like Valentine's except with those weird bubbles in place of the swirls :tinfoil:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
A new PV for JoJo part 3 is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whu1uPqrrk0

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Haha Joseph freakout

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

There's going to be one of these once a week on Fridays for the next three weeks each focused on a core main party member. This week's Joseph, next is Abdul, then Kakyoin, then Polnareff.

Unshou Ishizuka sounds as wonderful as I'd hoped. :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Oh god why is the video private :negative:

Edit: found a copy of the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsKalKU_Yg8

Everyting about this is perfect.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Oh man, it looks like we might actually get a nice animation budget this time.

• Locked thread