Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Entropic posted:

"Eternal" really sounds like it should mean "non-rotating".

Which is why most magic players call Modern an eternal format. And why I will continue to refer to it as an eternal format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Of the things to argue about in Magic, it seems like one of the more pointless.

So we have nothing new coming out until May, when Journey Into Nyx, the Modern Event Deck and Jace v Vraska Duel Decks all drop, right?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Entropic posted:

Since people will smugly correct you when calling Modern eternal, I guess Magic players just love pointless things.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
Modern's cost of entry is far less worse than Extended was. It's still pricy, but not absurdish compared to other historical price points.

Modern Masters getting an incredibly limited & pricy print run didn't help matters (nor did it being the best draft format in 5 years).

IMO, the only quasi solution is to make Modern Masters available again this summer. I honestly don't think you'll hear many complaints.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Entropic posted:

So we have nothing new coming out until May, when Journey Into Nyx, the Modern Event Deck and Jace v Vraska Duel Decks all drop, right?

Yeah, the next actual upcoming Magic news (short of leaks) is probably going to be either the contents of those precon decks (I don't know when they usually do this) or when they announce what the fall set is going to be (usually this happens some time in March, last year it happened at PAX East). JIN previews will probably start two weeks before the prerelease, so mid-April?

In the meantime: is it okay to take a photo of someone's hand if they support the Reserved List?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Wasn't Extended originally eternal before it became super-Standard?

Edit: Kird Ape was also banned in extended for a while, heh

whydirt fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 18, 2014

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah, the next actual upcoming Magic news (short of leaks) is probably going to be either the contents of those precon decks (I don't know when they usually do this) or when they announce what the fall set is going to be (usually this happens some time in March, last year it happened at PAX East). JIN previews will probably start two weeks before the prerelease, so mid-April?

In the meantime: is it okay to take a photo of someone's hand if they support the Reserved List?

Only their in-game hand. Photographing their actual hand is harassment.

On a non-joking note, what's with Messenger's Speed being the winningest common in the set? Is that just some sort of demand for a red 1-drop instantheroic trigger?

Niton fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 19, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

whydirt posted:

Extended always rotated, I think, but it used to have a really weird rotation schedule where it built up and rotated out sets in three-year chunks or something. I didn't play then, though, so :shrug:

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

whydirt posted:

That was the idea. IIRC, the price & availability of duals in the International market made it prohibitive as a Pro Tour & PTQ format. They introduced Legacy to combat that, and transformed Extended into Super Standard.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Niton posted:

Only their in-game hand. Photographing their actual hand is harassment.

On a non-joking note, what's with Messenger's Speed being the winningest common in the set? Is that just some sort of demand for a red 1-drop instant?

Probably the result of a lack of data. Messenger's Speed is one of the least-played cards in the set.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

duel deck is march 14th, so we'll hear something in the next few weeks. then it is about 3 weeks after that we'll get spoilers, pre-release is april 26-27.then 5 weeks until conspiracy comes out

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Going by the announcements for Theros and RTR we can expect the next block to be announced at PAX in about a month.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Myriad Truths posted:

Probably the result of a lack of data. Messenger's Speed is one of the least-played cards in the set.

Yeah, it says right there it's only been played in 67 games, compared to 2280 for Gary. What's really surprising is that Aspect of Hydra is between them, at 61% with 848 games. (Less surprising is that Defend the Hearth is the worst card by a wide margin.)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Carrasco posted:

Yeah, it says right there it's only been played in 67 games, compared to 2280 for Gary. What's really surprising is that Aspect of Hydra is between them, at 61% with 848 games. (Less surprising is that Defend the Hearth is the worst card by a wide margin.)

It's still kind of surprising, since it implies that the few players who played with it were overall successful with the strategy. The only one that comes close is Boulderfall, and I suspect that's just because Boulderfall got cast a tiny % of the time people included it in their decks.

Maybe Messenger's Speed is a legitimate 22nd/23rd card in aggro archetypes now? :iiam:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Since it doesn't cantrip, if you do run it you're likely to sandbag it so that you can play it on a big trampleless fatty and punch through damage, or catch your opponent by surprise with a big unexpected haste guy.

It's the sort of card you only play in a winning situation.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Man I'd run 3 Aspect of Hydra if it also gave trample.

Take that Elf, watch it hurt. :getin:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

MrBling posted:

Can you reasonably expect Wizards to predict that GP Las Vegas would get almost double the amount of players of the previous biggest GP ever?
The GP itself no. Modern Masters as a whole? Well that's sort of an interesting point to bring up. Mark Rosewater keeps claiming they have extensive knowledge about what has worked and what hasn't worked with the player base. At this point they should be able to accurately push a product in a happy direction for Magic players. Good news is they shouldn't screw up MM2 next year.

Conspiracy is a one of a kind set but they're putting their extensive knowledge of what makes a fun limited environment along with having the ability to talk to EDH-types to find out what makes a fun balanced multiplayer match together for a product.

Niton posted:

It's still kind of surprising, since it implies that the few players who played with it were overall successful with the strategy. The only one that comes close is Boulderfall, and I suspect that's just because Boulderfall got cast a tiny % of the time people included it in their decks.

Maybe Messenger's Speed is a legitimate 22nd/23rd card in aggro archetypes now? :iiam:
I thought Messenger's Speed was underplayed. The keyword that makes it good is trample for 1 mana. Maybe the fact it is in red is what has kept it back. Imagine it in white/blue.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Niton posted:

Nope, it's still awful, probably the second- or third-worst card in the format. But if you manage to draft the nut mono-red deck, it's a better 23rd card than a splash would be.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ChewyLSB posted:

I know this is super late but its me in this video playing against my literal worst matchup.

Your opponent sounds like a huge jerk from his narration and I'm sorry you had to play against that.

Maybe not a huge jerk but listening to someone say 'crab it up' like it's worth repeating is just... :psyduck:.

Also scapeshift is cool but having a losing matchup to mill has to be p awkward.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 19, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Zoness posted:

Your opponent sounds like a huge jerk from his narration and I'm sorry you had to play against that.

Maybe not a huge jerk but listening to someone say 'crab it up' like it's worth repeating is just... :psyduck:.

Also scapeshift is cool but having a losing matchup to mill has to be p awkward.

I agree - I've watched his videos before, and he just acts in a very arrogant manner, which pisses me off because most archetypes I want to watch on Youtube are done by him, not a lot of people do good videos with interesting decks.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boxn posted:

I agree - I've watched his videos before, and he just acts in a very arrogant manner, which pisses me off because most archetypes I want to watch on Youtube are done by him, not a lot of people do good videos with interesting decks.

Back when he played in my shop, Frank was the guy who'd take whatever meme of the week was trending ("Badger badger badger") and just run it into the loving ground. It's funny once, but he was like a living 9gag page.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Entropic posted:

Jace vs. Vraska - March 14.
Journey into Nyx - April 26 (May 2 Online)
Modern Deck - May 30th
Conspiracy - June 6
Vintage Masters - June 16
Magic 2015 - July 12 (July 18 Online)
From the Vault: Annihilation - August 23

Basically every month, something drops.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there any information on M15 (like the new cards that will be in the set) yet?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there any information on M15 (like the new cards that will be in the set) yet?

Other than the community card, no. We still have another set and five montths to go, why would we already know what was in the set?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
We know about the new frame I guess.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Tharizdun posted:

Back when he played in my shop, Frank was the guy who'd take whatever meme of the week was trending ("Badger badger badger") and just run it into the loving ground. It's funny once, but he was like a living 9gag page.

Yep, that just solidizes my hate for him. Why do people enjoy his content?

crazy8
Aug 27, 2003

bawk bawk
Where do I download the non beta mtgo client? because seriously gently caress that thing,only one I saw on their site was the beta version.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chorocojo posted:

Magic 2015 - July 12

Well happy loving birthday to me :v:

Guess I'm getting a box for free! :haw:

Literally The Worst posted:

Other than the community card, no. We still have another set and five montths to go, why would we already know what was in the set?

Completely untrue. We also know Wall of Flame is in it!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Typically a bunch of the year's core set gets spoiled in the same year's version of Duel of the Planeswalkers video game, so we'll know more earlier than we would for most other sets.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

MrBling posted:

Can you reasonably expect Wizards to predict that GP Las Vegas would get almost double the amount of players of the previous biggest GP ever?

Not that this matters towards the Modern or MMA argument, but yea they had absolutely no idea. Judges had to be begged to help at the event rather than play, and the staff included every Level 2+ judge in the Southwest region. The only reason they capped registration at 4500 is because the software handling the tournament was crashing when they tried simulating a 5,000 person tournament. Otherwise there was enough interest for maybe 6,000+ players.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Zoness posted:

Yeah I mean I'm okay with having UB mill being an unwinnable matchup since its a deck I'm most likely not going to play against. I actually played against him again the next day and I almost won game 2 with a Bolt Snapcaster Mage Bolt hand and Sakura Tribe Elder beatdown, but I accidentally chose Cryptic Counter Draw without thinking which made me lose by exactsies. Postboard against mill I have to side into a weird obstinate baloth wurmcoil engine ramp deck haha.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
March MOCS promo is Lion's Eye Diamond.

Magic Online Announcements February 18, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'll never not love the story about how someone designed LED to be the shittiest card ever, and now it's the most widely-played card from that set (block?). I love it when plans hilariously backfire like that.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm guessing that art will be in Conspiracy or something? ^^

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

C-Euro posted:

I'll never not love the story about how someone designed LED to be the shittiest card ever, and now it's the most widely-played card from that set (block?). I love it when plans hilariously backfire like that.

Charlie Catino got off on that poo poo, according to Maro.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

C-Euro posted:

I am pretty sure Cad Bloom and Enlightened Tutor and Flash were all in Mirage, but yeah LED being so good in ANT is awesome.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

an skeleton posted:

Lion's Eye Diamond is on the Reserved List, I think, so it won't be appearing in paper. They could definitely put that in Vintage Masters, though. Isn't LED like the most expensive card on MTGO?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

an skeleton posted:

No? They make new art for MODO card that will never be printed. It is on the reserve list.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Attorney at Funk posted:

Lion's Eye Diamond is on the Reserved List, I think, so it won't be appearing in paper. They could definitely put that in Vintage Masters, though. Isn't LED like the most expensive card on MTGO?

Force might beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Kinda want a high-res version of that art for proxies.

• Locked thread