Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Patlabor's probably worth looking into.

Probably a third of the way in (50 episode TV series). I enjoyed it, but it gets really dull and slow at times. I will eventually come back to it. But that's pretty much what I had in mind - a series with a varied and likeable cast of characters.

e:Mechas are okay in the second category! I often dislike mechas because they usually strain believability for me.

(Unless you were proposing that for the first category).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

Probably a third of the way in (50 episode TV series). I enjoyed it, but it gets really dull and slow at times. I will eventually come back to it. But that's pretty much what I had in mind - a series with a varied and likeable cast of characters.

e:Mechas are okay in the second category! I often dislike mechas because they usually strain believability for me.

(Unless you were proposing that for the first category).

Eh, either-or. Eureka Seven takes a while to properly get going, but it's worth sticking with. If you want a really good character-driven show, sci-fi or otherwise, check out a few episodes of Gungrave.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

Any okay (or good!) non-mecha cyber punk-ish anime from the late 80s/90s I may have missed?

Non-mecha cyber punk-ish anime from the late 80s/90s I have not missed (some stuff may be a bit newer)
-Cyber City Oedo 808
-Bubblegum Crisis (both)
-Police AD
-Dominion Tank Police (both, but I didn't like the first OVA at all)
-Armitage III
-Angel Cop (oh boy)
-Serial Experiments Lain (I'd prefer something more conventional atm)
-Genocyber (I "watched" it)
-GiTS movie (duh)

Dirty Pair?

I wouldn't mind a good character driven sci-fi show, either. Adults a plus! (I've watched probably the most obvious ones:Bebop, Gits:SAC, Evangelion) Maybe I'll try Eureka 7, but the first episode and surfer mecha kids premise was off puting when I tried watching it a few years back.

You could try Venus Wars or Megazone 23, they're not exactly cyberpunk I guess but share a lot of same 80's sci-fi aesthetics as the other things you mentioned.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Sakurazuka posted:

You could try Venus Wars or Megazone 23, they're not exactly cyberpunk I guess but share a lot of same 80's sci-fi aesthetics as the other things you mentioned.

I will seriously second Venus Wars. One of my favourites from that period. Also since you mentioned mecha are ok, you could give Orguss 02 a spin.

Also the classic Lensman film.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eh, either-or. Eureka Seven takes a while to properly get going, but it's worth sticking with. If you want a really good character-driven show, sci-fi or otherwise, check out a few episodes of Gungrave.

I might watch Gungrave. Saw the first two or so episodes ages ago but wasn't in the mood at the time, but it might fit the bill right now.

Sakurazuka posted:

I watched the first part of Megazone 23 last year, and didn't really like it, but Venus Wars looks great.

Kokoro Wish posted:

I will seriously second Venus Wars. One of my favourites from that period. Also since you mentioned mecha are ok, you could give Orguss 02 a spin.

Also the classic Lensman film.

Lensman film was pretty fun, but nothing to write home about, imo. I take it no familiarity with the Macross canon is necessary for Orguss?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

I take it no familiarity with the Macross canon is necessary for Orguss?

Orguss has nothing at all to do with Macross they just used the 'Super Dimensional' thing in the title because it came out soon after and Macross was popular. The only thing they share is the character designer, as far as I know. You can also completely watch the Orguss 02 OVA series without watching the TV series and it's one of the better mecha shows of the period.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rinkles posted:

I wouldn't mind a good character driven sci-fi show, either. Adults a plus! (I've watched probably the most obvious ones:Bebop, Gits:SAC, Evangelion) Maybe I'll try Eureka 7, but the first episode and surfer mecha kids premise was off puting when I tried watching it a few years back.

Watch Eureka Seven. If you've seen Babylon 5, that's what it's like in terms of quality arc: you power through the first season and as horrible as it may be, it's totally worth it. And it's anime, so the first season is only like ~260 minutes!

Then while you're on a robot kick maybe watch The Big O too.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is a bit over-generous. Gungrave is a lot of fun but even the first half isn't "mention in the same breath as Eureka Seven" good, and the second half, while hilarious, is just a series of goofy fights from a videogame with some padding around them.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 18, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rinkles posted:

Any okay (or good!) non-mecha cyber punk-ish anime from the late 80s/90s I may have missed?

Non-mecha cyber punk-ish anime from the late 80s/90s I have not missed (some stuff may be a bit newer)
-Cyber City Oedo 808
-Bubblegum Crisis (both)
-Police AD
-Armitage III
-Angel Cop (oh boy)
-GiTS movie (duh)

Dirty Pair?

You might like Kurau Phantom Memory, a rather underappreciated sci-fi romp from BONES back when they were a top tier studio.

E: Eureka Seven takes a while to heat up but boooooy does it ever get good. Not sure you could really call it cyber punk though.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Orguss has nothing at all to do with Macross they just used the 'Super Dimensional' thing in the title because it came out soon after and Macross was popular. The only thing they share is the character designer, as far as I know. You can also completely watch the Orguss 02 OVA series without watching the TV series and it's one of the better mecha shows of the period.
Actually Orguss and SDF Macross share a chief director (Noboru Ishiguro), musical composer (Kentaroh Haneda), head writer (Kenichi Matsuzaki) and several script writers, storyboard artists and animators.

But yes they are two completely different series apart from the staff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I knew I was going to be wrong about that. :v:

On that note, is the original Orguss TV series worth a watch? I could do with taking a break from going through my Tomino backlog but still feel like something 80's and I've never actually seen it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Maybe I'll try Eureka 7, but the first episode and surfer mecha kids premise was off puting when I tried watching it a few years back.

Here's the thing with E7: the first 3 episodes are poo poo. And then it just doesn't stop getting better.

I remember getting it recommended by the thread, and a couple episodes in I came back to complain. Everyone told me to keep going. I'm glad I did because after the first 5 or so episodes I was hooked.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Watch Eureka Seven. If you've seen Babylon 5, that's what it's like in terms of quality arc: you power through the first season and as horrible as it may be, it's totally worth it. And it's anime, so the first season is only like ~260 minutes!

Then while you're on a robot kick maybe watch The Big O too.

I was disappointed by Big O. It had incredible potential. Oozing with style, mysterious and with good animation. But unfortunately it was tied to mostly formulaic episodes with weak scripts. It really wanted to be the next Cowboy Bebop, but barely reached up to its ankles (maybe kneecaps) - and that's without considering the non-ending (I know that's because of the cancellation). I wasn't too keen about the twist midway either - though I think the writer just wasn't up to it.

(Never watched Babylon 5. Or, till last year, Star Trek for that matter.)

Nate RFB posted:

You might like Kurau Phantom Memory, a rather underappreciated sci-fi romp from BONES back when they were a top tier studio.

I loved Kurau. It really wasn't that remarkable, except for the gorgeous animation, but somehow the (bitter)sweet story really resonated with me at the time (I get a bit teary-eyed just thinking about it). I remember it very fondly. I think I saw it when I went on a Bones marathoning bender, after watching Xam'd (among the first Anime I saw) and being wowed by the animation (the show itself was a so-so teenage melodrama - though I guess I still remember that suicide to this day - with an uninteresting second half).

ViggyNash posted:

Here's the thing with E7: the first 3 episodes are poo poo. And then it just doesn't stop getting better.

I remember getting it recommended by the thread, and a couple episodes in I came back to complain. Everyone told me to keep going. I'm glad I did because after the first 5 or so episodes I was hooked.

Yeah I've read that before.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

I knew I was going to be wrong about that. :v:

On that note, is the original Orguss TV series worth a watch? I could do with taking a break from going through my Tomino backlog but still feel like something 80's and I've never actually seen it.
If you're into '80s robot shows I'd sat so. The robot part of the show is actually kind of underwhelming but the characters and setting make up for it.

Out of the three Super Dimension shows (Macross, Orguss and Southern Cross) Orguss is probably my favorite.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since Star Trek and Babylon 5 are getting brought up for some reason, then I feel it's an obligation to follow it up with the usual Legend of the Galactic Heroes recommendation. We're stretching the cyber punk aspect pretty thin at this point but gently caress it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Since Star Trek and Babylon 5 are getting brought up for some reason, then I feel it's an obligation to follow it up with the usual Legend of the Galactic Heroes recommendation. We're stretching the cyber punk aspect pretty thin at this point but gently caress it.

Well I did make two requests. The first was mostly to make sure I wasn't missing out on some rad cyberpunk show despite already scraping the bottom of barrel with the likes of Angel Cop.

The second regarded character driven sci fi.

I'm a ways into LotGH but I'd rather watch something a bit less dry atm.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 1 sold me on Orguss, Sho Hayami playing a cocky, womanising pilot and some rad 80's music, especially the ED. It's like if Roy Fokker was the main character of Macross.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

The second regarded character driven sci fi.

I'm a ways into LotGH but I'd rather watch something a bit less dry atm.

Try Gankutsuou. I just finished it yesterday and it was one hell of a ride. Really neat art style too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Try Gankutsuou. I just finished it yesterday and it was one hell of a ride. Really neat art style too.

Seconding. It has hands down some of the most visually striking animation I've ever seen, and it is a not-bad adaptation of the novel (The Count of Monte Cristo fyi).

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

-Cyber City Oedo 808
-Bubblegum Crisis (both)
-Police AD
-Armitage III
-Angel Cop (oh boy)
-GiTS movie (duh)

Dirty Pair?

For a good character driven sci-fi show, since I don't think I've seen it recommended yet, maybe the Crest/Banner of the Stars series? The anime is a little more recent than your timeframe, but I think it might fit the bill for what you want!

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

Rinkles posted:

-Bubblegum Crisis (both)
-Police AD

You ticked these off but just in case Parasite Dolls is primo 90's cyberpunk pulp even if it is an early 'oughts spinoff of the AD poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Grenadier posted:

You ticked these off but just in case Parasite Dolls is primo 90's cyberpunk pulp even if it is an early 'oughts spinoff of the AD poo poo.

Nice! I never looked past the lovely ADV cover and assumed it was a live action movie.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Watch Dirty Pair and Crusher Joe.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
This one is rough but I blame you guys for talking about it in the thread: I need more mecha. Giant robots make me loving happy.

The problem is that I've seen a whole loving lot of mecha so I don't know how to ask for more without giving you this huge and probably incomplete list of mecha I've watched:

Evangelion
Macross (several)
Gundam (a few, Turn A was the only one that really stuck)
Martian Successor Nadesico
Code Geass
Gurren Lagann
Full Metal Panic
RahXephon
Scryed (Dropped like 5 episodes in for being terrible)
Eureka Seven
The Vision of Escaflowne
Godannar

There are likely more that I'm just not thinking of at the moment. My only caveat is please nothing older than this stuff listed here, and dear lord no Evangelion endings, uggggh.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Have you watched Aquarion? If you can take the monster-of-the-weekiness in the middle, it kind of owns. The sequel is decent too, though nothing amazing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Big O, Gasaraki, King Gainer, Patlabor

Could probably name more if you said what you liked in particular aside from robots and were willing to go back further, at least to the 80's.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gun Sword. Granted it's been years since I saw it last, but iirc it was pretty fun.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Star Driver. Go watch Star Driver.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brainamp posted:

Gun Sword. Granted it's been years since I saw it last, but iirc it was pretty fun.

GunSword doesn't really find it's feet until about the fifth episode, but it's well worth watching.

Fenrir posted:

Gundam (a few, Turn A was the only one that really stuck)

Have you seen any of Gundam 00? The first season's fantastic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

Could probably name more if you said what you liked in particular aside from robots and were willing to go back further, at least to the 80's.

Yeah, give us something to work with! Otherwise people are gonna be rattling off their favorite mecha shows and that's not much to go on really since you'll be swarmed with choices.

Though personally I'm gonna go with the safe choice and say Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still since it is a mere 7 episodes and it rules so much that I feel fine giving it out as a general rec.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GunSword doesn't really find it's feet until about the fifth episode, but it's well worth watching.

Actually, I really like episode three myself.

Fans of old-school Super Robot shows should enjoy that one a lot. That said, GunxSword is the kind of series that starts out episodic but there's still an overarching story in the background and eventually all the early build-up pays off.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

muike posted:

Well I'm trying to avoid 80s. I tried to watch Gasaraki some 15 years or so ago but never got into it. The rest I don't know.

That said, I'll at least try to get more specific. I like good characters/stories obviously, although some on my list are better than others in that regard. Out of that list, Code Geass and Macross Frontier were probably my favorites (inserting a pause here for you to laugh for a minute... I certainly wouldn't blame you) because of a great blend of fun, cheese, seriously decent stories and outright bullshit. I'd say FMP would be there too, but that show honestly did better during the silly season where it was just a ridiculous comedy.

Brainamp posted:

That's another I haven't seen.

Redcrimson posted:

Star Driver. Go watch Star Driver.
I remember when people were flat out panning this in ADTRW, but having it come up recommended I may actually have to check it out (yay crunchyroll).

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you seen any of Gundam 00? The first season's fantastic.
You know, I'm actually not sure. I'll have to find out and then get it if I haven't.

Srice posted:

Yeah, give us something to work with! Otherwise people are gonna be rattling off their favorite mecha shows and that's not much to go on really since you'll be swarmed with choices.

Though personally I'm gonna go with the safe choice and say Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still since it is a mere 7 episodes and it rules so much that I feel fine giving it out as a general rec.
Yes it does own, and that's another I forgot on the list.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 19, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wielder posted:

Actually, I really like episode three myself.

Fans of old-school Super Robot shows should enjoy that one a lot. That said, GunxSword is the kind of series that starts out episodic but there's still an overarching story in the background and eventually all the early build-up pays off.

El Dorado V :black101:.

I fully agree with episode 3 being great, but the overarching plot does spin its wheels until they actually get a lead in the fifth episode. Now bring me your condiments. All of them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Fenrir posted:

I remember when people were flat out panning this in ADTRW, but having it come up recommended I may actually have to check it out (yay crunchyroll).
It just wasn't as good as it could have been. For what it was it was still fun enough.

If you can deal with a huge number of episodes being glorified toy commercials, GaoGaiGar is great fun.

On the topic of Full Metal Panic!, you should read the manga (Sigma) if you haven't already. We're probably never going to get another anime and that manga just recently finished getting scanlated so you can see how the whole thing ends. It's worth it if you've been there from the beginning.

E: Probably asking the obvious but you have seen Gunbuster and Diebuster, right?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 19, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Fenrir posted:

People were expecting Utena With Robots. Which it still kind of is, it's just more like the Nanami episodes and less like the Apocalypse Saga.

Edit: I also just finished a rewatch of Gundam 08th MS Team, which still totally holds up despite being stuffed with every corny War Movie cliche in existence.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 19, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nate RFB posted:

It just wasn't as good as it could have been. For what it was it was still fun enough.

If you can deal with a huge number of episodes being glorified toy commercials, GaoGaiGar is great fun.

On the topic of Full Metal Panic!, you should read the manga (Sigma) if you haven't already. We're probably never going to get another anime and that manga just recently finished getting scanlated so you can see how the whole thing ends. It's worth it if you've been there from the beginning.

E: Probably asking the obvious but you have seen Gunbuster and Diebuster, right?
Yep, seen all of those. I suck at lists :v:

The FMP manga is something I REALLY need to get around to. So much poo poo to read these days...

Redcrimson posted:

People were expecting Utena With Robots. Which it still kind of is, it's just more like the Nanami episodes and less like the Apocalypse Saga.
Ahh, alright. That makes a lot of sense, actually.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

On the topic of Full Metal Panic!, you should read the manga (Sigma) if you haven't already. We're probably never going to get another anime

Why? I thought it was fairly popular, or do you think the time for a sequel has passed?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
AFAIK Kyoani still has the rights to the anime franchise and gently caress if they're going to make another season anytime soon instead of something that's going to make them a boatload of skrilla

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think I'm actually going to throw my weight behind Patlabor, in that it's a Real Robot series that doesn't take itself too seriously (so closer to Macross than Gundam).

Votoms was a real robot series that we had a simulwatch of like Gun x Sword. I liked it more for the almost Blade Runner-like cyberpunk setting but the mecha portions were decent too.

E: I always forget we simulwatched Patlabor during Votoms as well. It kind of crashed and burned though because there's hardly any plot to discuss.

Rinkles posted:

Why? I thought it was fairly popular, or do you think the time for a sequel has passed?
It's probably more Kadokawa than Kyoto Animation. Kadokawa likes greenlighting series when they can help push sales for something else, such as the light novels a series is based on. Since not only has it been years since the last FMP! anime, but FMP! itself is completely over so there's not really any reason to push additional sales.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 19, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

^That's more how I imagined it

muike posted:

AFAIK Kyoani still has the rights to the anime franchise and gently caress if they're going to make another season anytime soon instead of something that's going to make them a boatload of skrilla

I didn't realize studios held the rights to shows, at least not the smaller ones, and I don't think Kyoto animation was a big shot at the time. I assumed most of their work was done on commission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For example, Chihayafuru the anime didn't really do great but it boosted manga sales so much that it got greenlit for a second season.

• Locked thread