Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CousinFredo
Jun 27, 2012
I haven't played in years but am between games right now as it were. Is now a good time to start? Still fly Minmatar or get owned? Suppose one wants to die in fires glorious and the derp type. Do you guys still have uses for idiots in poo poo ships? Things I can attempt to kill then attempt to run from? Basically I'd be new, horrible, poor and hoping for little more than to break peoples things more often than they break mine. Am I aiming to high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

CousinFredo posted:

I haven't played in years but am between games right now as it were. Is now a good time to start? Still fly Minmatar or get owned? Suppose one wants to die in fires glorious and the derp type. Do you guys still have uses for idiots in poo poo ships? Things I can attempt to kill then attempt to run from? Basically I'd be new, horrible, poor and hoping for little more than to break peoples things more often than they break mine. Am I aiming to high?

If you're interested in Eve's endgame content, the fastest route is to not start playing at all.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm downloading the game right now. Can I screw up anything at the start? It looks like I need at least one character created in the game first to register for goonfleet, and I can't see the OP's links until I'm registered.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

InternetJunky posted:

Can I screw up anything at the start?

Actually starting.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

I'm downloading the game right now. Can I screw up anything at the start? It looks like I need at least one character created in the game first to register for goonfleet, and I can't see the OP's links until I'm registered.

Character creation is now mostly a cosmetic choice, you will start with some skills but the total amount of training time they represent is about a day and a bit, so pick the race you like the look of most.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Coolwhoami posted:

Character creation is now mostly a cosmetic choice, you will start with some skills but the total amount of training time they represent is about a day and a bit, so pick the race you like the look of most.
Perfect, thanks.

goodness posted:

Actually starting.
Too late.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ullerrm posted:

The bigger issue will be that exploration will generally be exhausted anywhere within 25 jumps of JU-. It's great if you can find unmolested grounds, but finding them will take some effort.

That's actually a good thing. We want our exploration newbies traveling through hostile stretches of null and practicing their bubblecamp running skills in a cheap cloaky T1 frigate, not hiding in Deklein playing Space Janitor (yes, I am taking a dig at AFK ratting despite it being my main source of income)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 19, 2014

FlutterShock
May 17, 2013
One thing which you can do with your space-salvage in your newbie salvager, is speak to older pilots to sell them the salvage for a nice price - these materials are used to make certain types of rigs which are extremely in demand when fitting ships. The money you make for this can go towards either a better scanning ship - Noctis is good for this, failing this you can also buy a small pile of tech 1 fitted tackling rifters/slashers/merlins/condors/else.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm Chris Roberts and I'm here to tell you about the new Goonfleet Killboard

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The only problem I run into after a long stretch of flying a cloaker is the wreck less abandon of going through gates in other ships.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

InternetJunky posted:

Your name is the only thing you can screw up. Make sure it's something you can live with: you can't change it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

Your name is the only thing you can screw up. Make sure it's something you can live with: you can't change it.

And that it doesn't start with A.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

smg77 posted:

Or Z. Going in reverse alphabetical order happens often as well.

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014

InternetJunky posted:

There's the option of choosing something that will annoy the opposing FC when calling targets. I think "Secondary Tertiary" is taken though.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

smg77 posted:

I wish someone had told me this when I first joined.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm Chris Roberts and I'm here to tell you about the new Goonfleet Killboard

You can read all about it on the confluence :v:

I don't think the A-Z name thing really matters. My alt is "Aeiden" and I've been shot all of twice on the many fleets I've done.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

FlutterShock posted:

One thing which you can do with your space-salvage in your newbie salvager, is speak to older pilots to sell them the salvage for a nice price - these materials are used to make certain types of rigs which are extremely in demand when fitting ships. The money you make for this can go towards either a better scanning ship - Noctis is good for this, failing this you can also buy a small pile of tech 1 fitted tackling rifters/slashers/merlins/condors/else.

Tackle frigates are given out free to newbees. Never ever pay for them if you are in Goonwaffe. Find a mentor and shake him/her until free ships fall out.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

vodkat posted:

I wish someone had told me this when I first joined.

Nothing could be worse than mine: Orion Mintaka. About 4 days after I started playing I thought about making a new main, but didn't want to waste all that training time. :smithicide:

I pretty much pick awful names for everything I do online.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

CountButtula posted:

There's the option of choosing something that will annoy the opposing FC when calling targets. I think "Secondary Tertiary" is taken though.

Is "That Rifter" taken?

Pikag
Jun 5, 2009

Mimetic posted:

Is "That Rifter" taken?

I know I've seen someone in GSF with a name like "Primary Therifter" or something.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Yeah, make sure you like your name. I'm about 30 million SP into my main and I hate its name so much. I'm terrible at naming things in any online game though.

Edit: Has scanning gotten any easier? I haven't done it since the old tutorial when it was downright awful.

Pikag
Jun 5, 2009

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Yeah, make sure you like your name. I'm about 30 million SP into my main and I hate its name so much. I'm terrible at naming things in any online game though.

Edit: Has scanning gotten any easier? I haven't done it since the old tutorial when it was downright awful.

Scanning got improved in a recent patch, all probes now deploy at once in a pinpoint formation that is moved around with 1 anchor.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Red Crown posted:

It looks really cool and uses advanced technology and other long words and anyone who has seen it in action will agree. Unfortunately I can't let you see it yet.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

smg77 posted:

Fun fact I used to go on fleets all the time and I was never primaried. Just goes to show you that I'm useless even playing EVE online.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

If this war in general, and 0-W in particular has taught me anything it's that nothing is more fun than harpies and interceptors. Tonight has been a blast brawling with hopeless N3 breakout attempts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

vyst posted:

Fun fact I used to go on fleets all the time and I was never primaried. Just goes to show you that I'm useless even playing EVE online.

Oh, oh no. What happened to your avatar? :stonklol:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

Oh, oh no. What happened to your avatar? :stonklol:

I don't know. Generally speaking on any given week I get a new avatar from someone.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

vyst posted:

I think poaching ponies is illegal in most of Eve.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Pikag posted:

I know I've seen someone in GSF with a name like "Primary Therifter" or something.

I know there is a dude with a name like 'Isnot Primary'. I have wondered if that ever helps.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I still think it should be added to the OP that you DONT need to put a last name on your character. My first character unnecessarily had a dumb last name because I didn't know this.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Spiteski posted:

I still think it should be added to the OP that you DONT need to put a last name on your character. My first character unnecessarily had a dumb last name because I didn't know this.

:downs::respek::downs:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Spiteski posted:

I think that was during old character creation they basically said something like this.. back in 2006-2008 around there.

I had a guy in my corp way back named Armeggeda Iscariah, we called him "Armeggeda isprimary" because he was always shot first since he was the only one on small gangs that started with an A.

Pick something around the middle..

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I think that was during old character creation they basically said something like this.. back in 2006-2008 around there.

I had a guy in my corp way back named Armeggeda Iscariah, we called him "Armeggeda isprimary" because he was always shot first since he was the only one on small gangs that started with an A.

Pick something around the middle..

I don't know if it's true or not, but someone said that statistically pilots who start with K are most likely to survive any engagement barring being a high priority target (HICs, DICs, etc.)

K does happen to be in the middle, so it makes sense to me. v:v:v

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ashcans posted:

I know there is a dude with a name like 'Isnot Primary'. I have wondered if that ever helps.

I can never follow the loving primaries based off of our FC's horrible pronunciation anyways. This is why I fly a dictor.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

OGS-Remix posted:

I don't know if it's true or not, but someone said that statistically pilots who start with K are most likely to survive any engagement barring being a high priority target (HICs, DICs, etc.)

K does happen to be in the middle, so it makes sense to me. v:v:v

If CCP ever does rename tickets I'm renaming myself to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH so the FC has to ah chain his own pilots and flying nothing but supertanked troll boats around.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

JohnSherman posted:

Nothing could be worse than mine: Orion Mintaka. About 4 days after I started playing I thought about making a new main, but didn't want to waste all that training time. :smithicide:

I pretty much pick awful names for everything I do online.

Ya'll don't got crap to complain about names.

My Eve name IS my name. Minus one letter. No last name, no weird spellings. Just 3 letters.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

TipsyMcStagger posted:

If anyone deserves to be primaried all the time, it's Gedda.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I saw one dude who's name was something like "lIllIlilILIllI1"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Red Crown posted:

I don't think the A-Z name thing really matters. My alt is "Aeiden" and I've been shot all of twice on the many fleets I've done.

That's because nobody could pronounce it. They just move on to the next guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

TipsyMcStagger posted:

If anyone deserves to be primaried all the time, it's Gedda.

• Locked thread