Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

spunkshui posted:

People wear sweatpants in college because they are getting fat don't shower.

At least that was the way it was at my school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
It's probably because nobody cares about looking good in an intro to psych 101 or whatever mandatory elective. You can just roll into class in whatever you were wearing beforehand and then just go right back on home. It kind of rules sometimes when you just really don't give a poo poo about class today.

Also gently caress "school specific" versions of textbooks forever. The ones that are changed just enough that you can't use a regular used version of the textbook and have to buy it new.

Actually just gently caress school textbooks forever.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I had an early morning english 101 class my first year that had people rolling in with bathrobes and pajamas on. No one feels like getting dressed when they're going to be back in bed an hour later anyway.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

spunkshui posted:

People wear sweatpants in college because they are getting fat.

No, I just don't give a gently caress anymore

E: I go to class unshowered, in pyjamas and the like all the time

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Hell when it's cold out I unironically look homeless when I can muster up the willpower to go to class. In Florida no one really has winter coats so I just wear a few huge-rear end sweaters. I can't judge people for trying to be comfortable during a lovely class where they don't even want to be.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's a lot easier to throw on some lovely sweatpants and a hoodie over your pajamas than to put on actual pants.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Aerofallosov posted:

I am reminded of why I hated living in student accommodation. I liked being close to campus, making a few friends.

But I swear to god, there's always some herfderf setting off a fire or car alarm.

Not living there anymore, but for the rest of my life, whenever I make microwave popcorn, I will always feel the tiniest bit of relief when it's done, because I didn't accidentally set off a fire alarm and cause the evacuation of the whole dorm. I think the earliest time someone managed to do that was between 1 and 3am.

e:better that I was at NKU and it was only a four-story building; I can't imagine the nightmare of trying to evacuate those two hugeass towers OSU calls dorms.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Yeah, having to evacuate from the 14th floor sucks. I had to do it before in the GSU dorms, and of course they don't let you use the elevators right away after, because the stampede of people would break them. At that point, it's "go to the library and gently caress around on the computer or something for an hour".

One year, we actually had tornados. In downtown Atlanta. My building actually had a few rooms on the top floor collapse, but I believe nobody was hurt. I also watched a huge tree in a nearby park fall and just barely miss a car. We ended up being temporarily housed in an unaffected dorm building for the weekend while they made sure it was structurally sound enough for us to go back in.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

The academic scholarship I received two years ago is now worth $4000 more :( I know this is a huge first world problem but for some reason I'm really mad about it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I went to University in Canada in 2004-2005. This is the first year that Ontario killed off OAC, basically an additional year after grade 12. So we had two complete classes graduating and entering University at the same time.

As a result, my dorm room 1st year was a 2 person room with 3 people in it. Bathroom was across the building. I paid nearly $10k for this privilege.

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

Aramark.

That's my main complaint about college at this time. If your college has Aramark, you know what I mean.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
All the dining places on campus close mad early. Got class until 7:15? gently caress you, your only option is greasy pasta or fried food at the overpriced convenience store on campus.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

All the dining places on campus close mad early. Got class until 7:15? gently caress you, your only option is greasy pasta or fried food at the overpriced convenience store on campus.

Coincidentally, if I want to get a bagel before class, or a bottled water, I can't! The cafeteria doesn't open until 9:00!!!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I went to speak to someone about getting into a program in a school, so I go to the school in charge of the program.

They direct me to the admissions office, since they aren't involve who getting admitted to programs.

Admissions directs me back to the school, since they aren't involved with deciding who gets into schools.

School directs me to the program department head, since they aren't involved with deciding who gets into programs.

Program Dept. directs me back to the school, since they aren't involved with who get accepted into programs.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Feb 20, 2014

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Coincidentally, if I want to get a bagel before class, or a bottled water, I can't! The cafeteria doesn't open until 9:00!!!

They tried to push the cafe opening time here back to 7:30 instead of 7:00. They failed.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kavak posted:

They tried to push the cafe opening time here back to 7:30 instead of 7:00. They failed.

Thankfully, we've got a crapload of food places just like, 10 minutes in downtown, works both super early, and late at night when you're drunk/high etc.

Late Night Shwarma is good, very good.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Thankfully, we've got a crapload of food places just like, 10 minutes in downtown, works both super early, and late at night when you're drunk/high etc.

Late Night Shwarma is good, very good.

I could do that to, except its a 1-hour round trip by bus and I don't have a car. Stupid outside-town campus.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kavak posted:

I could do that to, except its a 1-hour round trip by bus and I don't have a car. Stupid outside-town campus.

I wouldn't know what the gently caress to do if I didn't have places to go and eat at 4:00 in the morning.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I wouldn't know what the gently caress to do if I didn't have places to go and eat at 4:00 in the morning.

You buy a refrigerator and groceries?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kavak posted:

You buy a refrigerator and groceries?

I don't really feel like making food after a night at the bars

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I went to the bathroom the other day, and the stall door would not shut, I had to hold it closed with one hand. Whatever genius installed the latch didn't bother to align the two pieces, apparently.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I don't really feel like making food after a night at the bars

That's what microwaves, fruit, and cereal are for.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The residence bathroom isn't cleaned on the weekend. Why, of all the times to not clean the bathroom, would it be the weekend. gently caress.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kavak posted:

That's what microwaves, fruit, and cereal are for.

None of those taste as satisfying as a good poutine :colbert:

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Stupid online systems never work

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Reading this last pages makes me glad my university gives a drat about students and actually being able to eat. Lectures only run from 9am to 6pm, with a mandatory break between 1-2pm. Food places on campus open in the morning at 8am and close at 6.30pm.

What I can't stand though is all of the timetabling and coursework submission is moving online. However it's being really poorly implemented and very slowly. Very often you won't be able to access your timetable for the next week because the system has gone down, and when it comes back up you get thousands of people hammering it to get their timetables so it inevitably goes down again. This system is also linked to the online submissions, so when the timetables go down then submissions go down. Submitted late because you couldn't get online? gently caress you, that's a zero.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Vitamins posted:

Reading this last pages makes me glad my university gives a drat about students and actually being able to eat. Lectures only run from 9am to 6pm, with a mandatory break between 1-2pm. Food places on campus open in the morning at 8am and close at 6.30pm.

What I can't stand though is all of the timetabling and coursework submission is moving online. However it's being really poorly implemented and very slowly. Very often you won't be able to access your timetable for the next week because the system has gone down, and when it comes back up you get thousands of people hammering it to get their timetables so it inevitably goes down again. This system is also linked to the online submissions, so when the timetables go down then submissions go down. Submitted late because you couldn't get online? gently caress you, that's a zero.

You mean you don't have a loving 3 hour Poetry lecture from 7-10? :shepicide:

E: Night, but I had a morning one last semester.

Austrian mook has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Feb 20, 2014

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

You mean you don't have a loving 3 hour Poetry lecture from 7-10? :shepicide:

Morning or night? Because here it could go either way.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Coffee And Pie posted:

I went to the bathroom the other day, and the stall door would not shut, I had to hold it closed with one hand. Whatever genius installed the latch didn't bother to align the two pieces, apparently.

loving lazy piece of poo poo contractors spend a year and a half and receive millions of dollars to renovate the goddamn dorms around here and this poo poo still happens.

Edit: That's per dorm, not to do all of the dorms, just to be clear.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

paragon1 posted:

loving lazy piece of poo poo contractors spend a year and a half and receive millions of dollars to renovate the goddamn dorms around here and this poo poo still happens.

Edit: That's per dorm, not to do all of the dorms, just to be clear.

Well what do you expect, they had to finish quickly to get to Sochi on time

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Rysithusiku posted:

Stupid online systems never work

Mathlab is the loving devil. I took a Statistics course last semester and I failed the final for this reason. Thankfully, the instructor corrected the exams himself

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
So not only did I have to scramble to get into replacement classes for the one that got dropped suddenly for low enrollment, but because said replacements were last-start and the stupid new attendance-tracking software ties payment of financial aid to attendance, my student aid isn't coming until midway through next month. (And it looks like I'm getting less than I thought anyway.) Thanks guys, I didn't actually need books for said classes, no big deal!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I would like to know why the more expensive a college is, the shittier their office/office workers are. The only school that had anyone worth anything working was in a huge cheap community college I went to years ago. They helped straighten up my financial aid, fixed schedules for me, erased hosed up parking tickets, etc. The school where I am now is loving terrible at everything. You can't just go in and talk to people, you need an appointment that they will skip with no explanation. The dead eyed idiots working in the bursars can't do anything except ignore you to look at Facebook and then sigh when you ask for help. I do like all my professors this semester so that's nice.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Now that I think about it, for all the flak it got from students for being a "stupid community college," the CC I went to during my senior year of high school was a lot more accommodating than the university I go to now.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Hummingbirds posted:

Now that I think about it, for all the flak it got from students for being a "stupid community college," the CC I went to during my senior year of high school was a lot more accommodating than the university I go to now.

I did 2 years CC and transferred to a University for the last 2 years. I would have much rather spent the whole 4 years at a CC if they had bachelors programs. My CC had way better teachers who were generally more interested in helping you learn. There were tons of slots for every class and the administration was very understanding of any issues. It was also cheap as hell in comparison. I think an entire semesters of classes + books at CC cost less than one class at my university.

I don't know why people poo poo on CC's because they rule.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
How good a CC is can vary wildly. The one in my county is considered very good, while the next one over may as well be a poorly funded high school.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SarutosZero posted:

I did 2 years CC and transferred to a University for the last 2 years. I would have much rather spent the whole 4 years at a CC if they had bachelors programs. My CC had way better teachers who were generally more interested in helping you learn. There were tons of slots for every class and the administration was very understanding of any issues. It was also cheap as hell in comparison. I think an entire semesters of classes + books at CC cost less than one class at my university.

I don't know why people poo poo on CC's because they rule.

It's because they're cheap. One of the biggest reasons to pay for a very expensive school with a famous name is to have that name on the degree and say "I was able to go to this expensive, prestigious, important school and you could not, you dirty pleb."

Which is, of course, ridiculous. The most expensive/prestigious schools aren't always the best.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Was just contacted by a university I used to attend -- after apparently taking three weeks to process the single-page form needed to send out my transcript, they called to tell me that they could not do so because of a parking citation on my record. The citation is on a car that I have never seen before and it was from last October; I haven't even lived in that town for 6 years. Called Parking and Transportation and the only way to remove the block is to pay the fine myself, and they refused to give me any details about whoever owns the car despite the person being able to buy a parking permit in my name and driver's license. I could appeal it, but it would take weeks and this transcript should have already been on file at the various graduate programs to which I'm applying.

Hurrah for university bureaucracy; they'll hold my future hostage over a $60 fine but not bother to contact me when a random person from another state is registering poo poo in my name several years after I transferred away from the university.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I've had a bad run of professors lately. My Discrete Structures professor is a mathematician, so he skimmed over the Logic Gates and computer-related stuff in a day and spent the rest of the class teaching us formal logic. He quite explicitly told us that he was acting as the gate, the barrier of entry into the Math major. That wouldn't be so bad if this class wasn't required for my CompSci degree. He handily chased at least 20 people out of their majors in a sophmore-level class. Then he turned around and gave everyone B+'s anyway. :v:

My Software professor isn't much better, he's spent the past 3 classes going off on tangents about the Holocaust every time a German comes up in his powerpoints. I fell asleep before being woken up by him shouting something about seeing Noam Chomsky in hell???

Oh, I'm also in the 'Honors' program, which in a liberal arts college just means you get to take more pretentious lecture classes. In "The Modern Condition" we had a girl who thought it was unethical for women to work ever, because they needed to know how to take care of children.

My roommates were also racist ("The Black people are the real racists") and super-libertarian and Republican (they played the Obamaphone video every day leading up to the election).

HellCopter has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Feb 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Last fall when I submitted my financial aid request for $7500 in unsubsidized Stafford loans, I expected to get it all that semester. Nope! They decided to split it in half and give me $3750 then and $3750 now. I got about a grand back as a refund, which was quickly spent on food, gasoline, and bills over a few months. So last month I sent in another form asking for another $8000 to cover my living expenses until September and I still haven't seen a single penny of it despite my account showing a zero balance for weeks. When I went to bitch to the financial aid department today, I learned that:

1. "Oh, that's weird, they shouldn't have done that" about splitting the first request
2. "Our advisors only meet with students Monday through Thursday. My boss only sees students by appointment."
3. "So you didn't want the Perkins loan then?"
4. "It says here they declined to give you the full amount for the second request, but maybe because you only checked the Spring semester box" well duh, Fall's already done with.

I'm thinking that they screwed me over to try and force me into accepting their Perkins loan because then the school can make more profit off the interest. They can eat my poo poo if they think they can deny my funding because I'm just a little walking profit engine to them. Someone's getting a new anus on Monday.

• Locked thread