Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hockles posted:

Why did Vince have a neck brace during the Steroid trial?

In one of those trademark Vince McMahon impulse decisions he decided to switch lawyers from McDevitt to a guy he saw chasing an ambulance. He thought he had good hustle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Red posted:

Ah, okay. That sounds right.

I remember, I think, that the ref would break a hold when they caught a heel cheating with a rope assist. Think IRS using the ropes to gain leverage in an abdominal stretch behind Hebner's back, while Hebner asks Tatanka if he wants to give up. The Hebner sees the rope shaking, and goes, "Wait, what the hell? Break that stretch!".

I love the "ref kicks the heel's arm" spot so much. I wish guys would obviously heel it up more.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hockles posted:

he had just had spinal surgery beforehand, brought on by improper technique and overtraining from years of lifting weights.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

ZDar Fan posted:

Was there any particular reason that Hogan/Flair did so badly in '91 that WWF scrapped plans for a Mania feud? It seems like that would have been a huge dream match at the time. I was living overseas where we didn't get NWA/WCW so I had never heard of Flair, but I was sold when Heenan cut that great promo with the NWA belt where he said "Comparing this belt to Hulk Hogan's belt would be like comparing ice cream to horse manure. Comparing the man who wears this belt to Hulk Hogan would be like comparing ice cream to horse manure."

The matches didn't do that well on the house show circuit for whatever reason. That, and Hogan was on his way to take a year off, so it didn't make sense for him to beat Flair and win the belt at WrestleMania.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When did Tony Chimmel start the "Rated-R Suuuuuuuuuperstar" thing, and why? Did his voice crack once and he ran with it?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ZDar Fan posted:

Was there any particular reason that Hogan/Flair did so badly in '91 that WWF scrapped plans for a Mania feud? It seems like that would have been a huge dream match at the time. I was living overseas where we didn't get NWA/WCW so I had never heard of Flair, but I was sold when Heenan cut that great promo with the NWA belt where he said "Comparing this belt to Hulk Hogan's belt would be like comparing ice cream to horse manure. Comparing the man who wears this belt to Hulk Hogan would be like comparing ice cream to horse manure."

They just didn't promote it right, and burned through it too quickly. It did fine on its first house show loop, but the second time around Flair was less of an outsider world champion on equal footing and more of just another WWF uppercard heel. It didn't have the specialness anymore. It isn't even so much they scrapped plans, the plans never even got developed because it fizzled so soon. By the time the Rumble came around it was going to be Savage/Flair and Hogan/Sid, even though Flair will say differently now.

Mr. Kennedy
May 24, 2003

I weigh in tonight at an astonishing 242 lbs. From Green Bay Wisconsin, MISTER KENNEDY!!!!!!! KENNEDY...
I have read a lot about macho man saying he only wants to be inducted into the hall of fame with his family. What history does Lenny Paffo have? Is he actually something big or important to wrestling, or is he just a sibling of someone great?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Lanny had a run against Hogan as The Genius that was ok, no idea about how it went business-wise. Apart from that, nothing he did was really of note. He certainly has no place in the Hall of Fame, regardless of the presence of people like Koko B. Ware.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
The Genius had fantastic poems that he wrote himself :colbert:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Kennedy posted:

I have read a lot about macho man saying he only wants to be inducted into the hall of fame with his family. What history does Lenny Paffo have? Is he actually something big or important to wrestling, or is he just a sibling of someone great?

The reason reason Savage wanted that deal was because of his father, Angelo Poffo.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Memento posted:

Lanny had a run against Hogan as The Genius that was ok, no idea about how it went business-wise. Apart from that, nothing he did was really of note. He certainly has no place in the Hall of Fame, regardless of the presence of people like Koko B. Ware.

The coronation of the Macho King is one of my favorite wrestling moments.

I don't see any good reason why whole families shouldn't be inducted. Harts, Rhodes, Von Erics, etc;

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually
What was the deal with NXT season 3, the diva season, it seems like from the first episode Cole treated it like a joke, and it was only intensified as the season went on, obviously it was an all woman's season and noone was that good but from the first week it felt like the whole thing was just a rib on someone and not a way to try to elevate female talent to the roster.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Brokenogre posted:

What was the deal with NXT season 3, the diva season, it seems like from the first episode Cole treated it like a joke, and it was only intensified as the season went on, obviously it was an all woman's season and noone was that good but from the first week it felt like the whole thing was just a rib on someone and not a way to try to elevate female talent to the roster.

they had a TV contract to fulfill and ran out of ideas. That's pretty much the extent of it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It didn't help that everyone on the show was terrible at the time. Most of the guys in seasons 1 and 2 were incredibly green too, but at least there was an indie darling to get behind. NXT was always all about embarrassing the competitors they just finally nailed the formula for S3

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Die Laughing posted:

The coronation of the Macho King is one of my favorite wrestling moments.

I don't see any good reason why whole families shouldn't be inducted. Harts, Rhodes, Von Erics, etc;
That would put Bruce Hart in the Hall of Fame.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

That would put Bruce Hart in the Hall of Fame.

And that fake Von Erich cousin.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

And that fake Von Erich cousin.

I know you're joking, but the Von Erichs were already inducted as a family into the WWE HoF in 2009. Only Fritz and his sons (Kevin, David, Kerry, Mike, and Chris) were inducted and not Waldo or Lance.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Der-Wreck posted:

My brother and I were watching some of the best of the WWE Heavyweight Championship DVD and maaaaaan Earl Hebner bugged me so much. He got way too involved in a bunch of the matches, especially the Cactus Jack Vs. Triple H Street Fight at Royal Rumble 2000. If I recall correctly, I think he grabs away the barbed-wire 2x4 from Cactus. It's a fuckin' street fight!

I don't know why he'd take away the barbed wire from Cactus, but I think part of the buildup to the HHH/Cactus feud involved Earl. HHH would bully him constantly, even got him fired. So they had some heat, it played into the storyline that Earl would get in HHH's face about stuff.

Still annoying, I'm not a fan of refs in storylines unless it's Little Naitch in WCW

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

So what has Dave Prazak been up to? Now that he's not part of the ROH announce crew I've kinda lost track of him. Is SHIMMER still around?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hockles posted:

Cheap sympathy. How can you convict a man in a neck brace?

(Judge Scott Steiner presiding)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Hockles posted:

Haha I was watching The History of WWE documentary, and was wondering the same thing.

I thought it was pretty weird that they talked about the steroid trial and Owen's death. I mean, it's part of the WWE's history so it should be mentioned, just didn't think they'd do that in what is basically a Vince McMahon fluff piece.

It was about as objective as you would expect (not objective at all)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

NXT3 is worth watching simply for CM Punk on commentary.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I love Kevin Nash's recollection of Vince not showing the least bit of concern about the trial in front of the boys. Vince would just be backstage strutting around as usual, in a neckbrace. "Hey Big D!"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

So what has Dave Prazak been up to? Now that he's not part of the ROH announce crew I've kinda lost track of him. Is SHIMMER still around?

Shimmer's still around and they're doing a show WM weekend in NOLA. There's no connection between them and ROH anymore though and since they usually tape a bunch of shows one weekend every few months in suburban Chicago no one outside of their niche audience really pays much attention.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Who runs the "WWE Creative Humor" twitter account?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

triplexpac posted:

I don't know why he'd take away the barbed wire from Cactus

To me it shows the brutality of the weapon, even tho its a street fight its such a vicious weapon that the ref doesnt want to let him use it

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kind of like when Shawn was all "Jesus Christ you'll kill him" when Triple H was beating Undertaker with the hammer.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

HHH/Taker 3 set a world record for the phrase "End it or I will" used.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Guys.

Mabel/Visera/Big Daddy V died. :(

http://www.wwe.com/inside/big-daddy-v-passes-26182717

RIP Big Daddy 1-5

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MrBling posted:

Guys.

RIP Big Daddy 1-5

So close to Father's Day, too. :smith:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I had already put him in my database...what was his most prominent name? Seemed he wrestled as Big Daddy for as long as he wrestled as Mabel.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I had already put him in my database...what was his most prominent name? Seemed he wrestled as Big Daddy for as long as he wrestled as Mabel.

Mabel, Proud Member of M.O.M. (Morbidly Obese Men)

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Taff posted:

To me it shows the brutality of the weapon, even tho its a street fight its such a vicious weapon that the ref doesnt want to let him use it

The only reason Earl does that because of the switch to another one that's rigged Bob Wire. Classic misdirection. You are already sold that it's real from earlier.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

MrBling posted:

Guys.

RIP Big Daddy 1-5

Mechafunkzilla posted:

How is this man not dead yet?

my bad

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

IcePhoenix posted:

NXT3 is worth watching simply for CM Punk on commentary.

It was only the one episode. There was also the episode where AJ owned everyone else in wrestling theme trivia.

The weeks of Raw with Punk at the desk shortly after that were amazing though.

Cole: "Dashing Cody Rhodes got a really long facial this morning..."
Punk: "I BET he did."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

It was only the one episode. There was also the episode where AJ owned everyone else in wrestling theme trivia.

Sometimes, the extended guest commentary is amazing (Punk, Heyman), and sometimes it's pretty bad (Shane, that guy from Imus who did Raw for a while).

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

He was Viscera for 4-5 years I think

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sticklefifer posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the other way around, with him doing commentary for RAW only once but doing it every week on NXT. I only say this because I remember eagerly waiting for the "Best of Punk on NXT" weekly vids that someone was putting up on youtube because I didn't want to actually watch the whole show, wheras I was still watching RAW every week at the time.

e: I looked this up and apparently my memory is bad and you were right.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 19, 2014

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the other way around, with him doing commentary for RAW only once but doing it every week on NXT. I only say this because I remember eagerly waiting for the "Best of Punk on NXT" weekly vids that someone was putting up on youtube because I didn't want to actually watch the whole show, wheras I was still watching RAW every week at the time.

e: I looked this up and apparently my memory is bad and you were right.

He was really fun on season 1, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

What's the most outlandish/dumbest question Jim Ross will answer?