Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

i am harry posted:

James Lovelock gives us 20 years.
http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2008/mar/01/scienceofclimatechange.climatechange
I don't know about anyone else but I'm thinking about mobility. My British passport should help with the migration, but I'm beginning to realize that, unlike how I thought about it a decade ago, there will probably not be some safe areas to flee to.

That was James Lovelock in 2008

This is James Lovelock in 2012:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/04/23/11144098-gaia-scientist-james-lovelock-i-was-alarmist-about-climate-change?lite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Article posted:

Asked if he was now a climate skeptic, Lovelock told msnbc.com: “It depends what you mean by a skeptic. I’m not a denier.”

He said human-caused carbon dioxide emissions were driving an increase in the global temperature, but added that the effect of the oceans was not well enough understood and could have a key role.

“It (the sea) could make all the difference between a hot age and an ice age,” he said.

He said he still thought that climate change was happening, but that its effects would be felt farther in the future than he previously thought.

“We will have global warming, but it’s been deferred a bit,” Lovelock said.

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the leading body on the subject, the world’s average temperature has risen by about 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit since 1900. By 2100, it predicts it will rise by another 2 to 11.5 degrees, depending upon the levels of greenhouse gases emitted.

Asked to give its latest position on climate change, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said in a statement that observations collected by satellites, sensors on land, in the air and seas “continue to show that the average global surface temperature is rising.”

The statement said “the impacts of a changing climate” were already being felt around the globe, with “more frequent extreme weather events of certain types (heat waves, heavy rain events); changes in precipitation patterns … longer growing seasons; shifts in the ranges of plant and animal species; sea level rise; and decreases in snow, glacier and Arctic sea ice coverage.”

So he's joined the general scientific consensus of "it is going to suck hard" rather than "the world turns into Venus." Still doesn't change much of what we are talking about here.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

That's funny. Thanks for that. Welp, I guess that wraps it up for global warming, guys.

i am harry posted:

James Lovelock gives us 20 years.
http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2008/mar/01/scienceofclimatechange.climatechange
I don't know about anyone else but I'm thinking about mobility. My British passport should help with the migration, but I'm beginning to realize that, unlike how I thought about it a decade ago, there will probably not be some safe areas to flee to.

And guns, lots of them. And women too, as they can be exchanged for food, petrol, ammo, other necessities. Actually, HipGnosis, your choices are moral choices, at least on the face of them. I can't fault you for that. Just remember to stay flexible and adaptable, and work on having community. I've known lots of folks that tried something in the vague direction of what you are talking about, and while not as prepared as you appear to be, most eventually wound up going back to the mainstream culture. In good part because of the isolation involved in being the only ones locally or whatever to have their lifestyle/outlook.

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 18, 2014

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

SnakePlissken posted:

That's funny. Thanks for that. Welp, I guess that wraps it up for global warming, guys.

That would be really cutting if it had anything to do with what Arkane was pointing out, which was that Lovelace doesn't recommended buying a hazmat suit and some ammo in the next 20 years anymore

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Illuminti posted:

That would be really cutting if it had anything to do with what Arkane was pointing out, which was that Lovelace doesn't recommended buying a hazmat suit and some ammo in the next 20 years anymore

... And subsequently that pretty much wraps it up for global warming. Not sure what cutting remark you think I failed at making, but I was just mocking the glib denialist attitudes one seems to run across everywhere. Not terribly cutting really. I admit I was a bit incoherent, what with responding to three posts in one and not even quoting the one I was responding to the most, so sorry about that.

I do find it funny that Lovelace is walking back on his old alarmist attitude though. Not in a bad way, really either. I'm hoping that I'm even more wrong than he is with my doom and gloom attitude. I'll even throw a big party and invite you goons.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

HipGnosis posted:

Once again as D&D's de facto environmental thread um... can someone please make me feel better about this video?

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/vice-special/apocalypse-man-part-5

We've been watching this Michael C. Ruppert doc with great interest. He's done something very similar, just basically loving off from civilization. However, this new video is very distressing. Does anyone know more about the situation with Fukushima there? Are we all in fact, so screwed independent of climate change?

Sorry in advance if I ruined your day.

To add to what others have said, my friends here at UC Berkeley (along with the EPA and other groups at universities) have also been monitoring the radiation levels on the west coast with high sensitivity radiation detectors. My friend recently did some measurements and made a response post to that youtube video showing the guy with the Geiger counter at Half Moon Bay. There's also salmon measurements using the low background facility at LBNL if you're interested.

It's sad when I see propaganda/scaremongering videos and articles because it assumes there aren't hundreds/thousands of people studying and monitoring this stuff. We live here too, we will tell you if a giant radioactive cloud is going to wipe out the west coast, I promise.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2013/s3947396.htm

Interesting interview with Professor Snow Barlow from Melbourne U. Prof Snow was one of the holdout "skeptics" (I'm really not sure skeptic is the right word anymore than a creationist is a "skeptic" but whatever) for a while there, but over the past few years has revised his view and basically thinks that yes its happening, and yes its going to suck.

Topical, because Australia pretty much had/is having its hottest summer on record (Its been surprisingly mild 90f range summer on the west coast, but apparently the east coast has been a total monster of 105f+ days ), with fires, floods, drought and all sorts of ridiculous bullshit over the past few years , but the primeminister is in the press again ranting about it all being "just a cycle".

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbott-downplays-role-of-climate-change-in-current-drought-20140217-32vub.html

Sometimes I think the platonic idea of just having scientists and scholars running the country isn't as fascist as it sounds after all. :(

edit:

http://www.climatecouncil.org.au/2014/02/13/heatwaves-report/

By the way, the Australian Climate Council is a really good resource. Essentially there was a government body here , the Climate Commission, and literally a week or two into the conservatives getting into power, the new primeminister just straight up axed the department. Anyway, the commission basically kickstarter style ran a fundraiser, raised a million or so dollars and floated itself as a public NGO, and its now the climate council. Still basically the peak scientific body representing climate scientists in australia but now free of govt interference. Its major role is to interpret scientific findings for the lay public so its all good readable stuff for us mere mortals. Some of it does read a bit activisty at times, but frankly the science is getting more dismal as time goes on and a lot of fairly serious-beaver scientists are getting very nervous about whats coming out of the data , in terms of its impact on Australia.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 19, 2014

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I'm actually not sure how more people aren't getting freaked out by all this. It seems like even watching biased news you'd hear something about how all of a sudden everywhere's reaching record temperatures and generally getting beaten up by the weather.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Mainstream news will report extreme weather events but is generally very hesitant to even mention that what is happening is precisely the kind of poo poo that was predicted to occur as a result of climate change. It seems there is typically no deeper analysis past "welp, things suck for people in (region)!"

Not that all these weather events can be directly linked to climate change. But there was a quote up thread that summarized my feelings on it well: if you keep rolling two 6's with a pair of die, at some point you have to assume they are loaded. The fact that records are being broken globally is, to me, indicative of a very unsettling future.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cobweb Heart posted:

I'm actually not sure how more people aren't getting freaked out by all this.

What is there to be freaked out by, in your opinion? Really an open question for anyone. Instead of far future projections, what about more reasonable projections like 20 years into the future. Hypothetically, the Earth is .4 degrees warmer and sea levels are 2.5 inches higher. That matches IPCC modeling. So...what's changed? Besides the fact that probably a billion people in poverty have been brought of it during those 2 decades.

I think the Lovelock about-face is the fate of most of the posters in this thread at some point. Not that global warming isn't a problem, but that exaggeration has really run rampant in this topic and that people should stick to things that are firmly within the science. Lovelock looked at observations of temperature (which have been statistically flat since 2001) and saw that things weren't going to hell in a handbasket as he feared. He re-assessed. That's a very scientific way of thinking about the topic, rather than a shrill political approach.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Arkane posted:

(which have been statistically flat since 2001)

Can you please stop saying this? You know full well its not loving true.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Arkane posted:

That's a very scientific way of thinking about the topic, rather than a shrill political approach.

Shrill maybe, but few of the posters in this thread have any kind of political approach whatsoever. I think that's projection on your part. ED: It is not political football unless you don't care about what's at stake.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

duck monster posted:

Can you please stop saying this? You know full well its not loving true.

From 2001 to present, the trends in the 3 ground-based climate data sets are .01C, -.01C, and -.02C, all of those measured per decade. In other words, flat. Over that same time period, the climate models predicted that temperature would rise by .2C per decade. You can see it visualized here:

http://rankexploits.com/musings/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/CotwinAndWay_2001.png

You'll note on there that there is another line marked "CW Hybrid" which is the Cowtan & Way study which altered one of the datasets from -.02C to .04C. Still flat, though.

Really not much else to tell you man. The hiatus is well-reported in articles and Nature did a news piece on it last month that attempted to explain it: http://www.nature.com/polopoly_fs/1.14525!/menu/main/topColumns/topLeftColumn/pdf/505276a.pdf

Observations don't lie. All of the climate data is publicly available, and readily accessible on the Internet.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cobweb Heart posted:

I'm actually not sure how more people aren't getting freaked out by all this. It seems like even watching biased news you'd hear something about how all of a sudden everywhere's reaching record temperatures and generally getting beaten up by the weather.

Until it starts affecting everyone universally, like agricultural yields, I don't think there's going to be that much panic. Isolated areas that hammered with bad weather and the global poor are the ones who will suffer.

Even if climate change doesn't have as bad an impact on agriculture as predicted, the extreme weather will make crop yields unreliable, which is just as bad. Look at England and California right now. If the flood water doesn't drain in the south-west of England, and Claifornia farmers don't get better water access that is a lot of important agriculture going unproductive this year.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Arkane tends to think of global warming as an isolate since that allows him to maintain his other views as a beneficiary of the system producing it. He will tend to see the systemic production of inequity, acidification of the oceans and mass extinction, etc. either as disconnected events or non-existent so that he can maintain his world view. It's a common thing and he is not alone in it. Whenever reading his posts it is useful to recognize his vested interest. It's that relatively unexamined background view that let's him imagine conspiracy theories within the scientific community without blinking an eye, for instance. His posts are useful since they show the "logic" necessary to maintain such a view. I posted that logic structure up thread.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dreylad posted:

Until it starts affecting everyone universally, like agricultural yields, I don't think there's going to be that much panic. Isolated areas that hammered with bad weather and the global poor are the ones who will suffer.

I think constantly chirping about the fate of the global poor is pretty laughable, especially when greens are trying to force upon them energy policies that are going to keep them right where they are.

Bjorn Lomborg wrote a great op-ed about this a couple of weeks ago, but really it's been a theme for a while now.

quote:

Is it fair to use climate policies to keep poor people poor?

Access to cheap and abundant power is one of the best ways to lift people out of poverty. Analyses show that there is a clear connection between growth and energy availability in Africa. Most spectacularly, China lifted 680 million people out of poverty over the past 30 years — not through expensive wind and solar, but through cheap, if polluting, coal.

Nonetheless, many rich opinion leaders feel comfortable in declaring that the trade-off for cheap energy and development is not in the interest of the poor. The United States, United Kingdom and other European countries announced last year that they won't support international finance for coal-fired power plants in developing countries.

These nations abstained last time the World Bank helped finance the Medupi coal-fired power plant in 2010 in South Africa. Today, they would have voted it down. Yet, Medupi will provide 10% of South African electricity and avoid rolling blackouts. The South African finance minister made the argument clearly: "To sustain the growth rates we need to create jobs, we have no choice but to build new generating capacity — relying on what, for now, remains our most abundant and affordable energy source: coal."

The Obama administration even acknowledged that without a coal power plant South Africa's "economic recovery will suffer, adversely impacting electrification, job creation, and social indicators." Yet, now we tell the world's poor, that they shouldn't get cheap energy.

Nowhere is the dilemma more acute than in Obama's laudable Power Africa initiative, which aims to increase electricity generation and access to modern energy services in six poor, African countries.

This matters, because almost half the world's inhabitants or about 3 billion people burn dung, cardboard and twigs inside their houses to cook and keep warm. The consequent indoor air pollution kills 3.5 million people each year making it the world's deadliest environmental issue.

Allowing these poor countries to get electricity access could get rid of this indoor air pollution while doing an amazing amount of good. It could allow families light to read at night, a computer to get in touch with the world and a refrigerator to keep food from spoiling. It would also allow businesses to produce more competitively, providing jobs and economic progress.

But the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), the main U.S. development finance institution, prefers mainly to invest in solar, wind and other low-emissions energy projects. Over the past five years, OPIC has invested in more than 40 new energy projects and all but two were in renewables.

This matters, because investments in renewables cost much more and it is harder to attract co-investors.

A new paper by Todd Moss and Ben Leo from the nonprofit think tank, Center for Global Development, puts it very clearly. If Obama spends the next $10 billion on gas electrification, he can help lift 90 million people out of poverty. If he only uses renewables, the same $10 billion can help just 20 million-27 million people. Using renewables, we will deliberately choose to leave more than 60 million people in darkness and poverty.

Of course, you can legitimately argue that cutting CO2 emissions is more important than helping poor people. But you cannot claim, as many greens would like to do, that there is no tradeoff — that you can magically achieve both lower CO2 emissions and still help more people.

It seems immoral to me to want to reduce CO2 emissions through denying the very poorest energy access while we in the West continue to get more than two-thirds of our much higher energy consumption from fossil fuels.

The only way to sustainably tackle global warming is to dramatically increase investment in green R&D which will eventually make green energy so cheap everyone will want to switch.

But right now, we have a moral responsibility to help lift as many people out of poverty as possible.

Our development aid should be used to help 60 million more people out of poverty, not as a tool to make us feel virtuous about facile, green choices.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
EDIT: ^^^^ I am a solar cell researcher and I've been constantly boosting for assembly line nuclear power. Don't look at me for boosting "expensive" options.

Can somebody link to the series of photos where Cefte took Arkane to task. I think it's been more than 20 pages or so and I was stupid enough to not save the link last time.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 19, 2014

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
This stuff has been retreaded over and over but I will just leave these here for fun

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/02/140211-global-warming-pause-trade-winds-pacific-science-climate/
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/global-warming-pause-answer-blowin-ocean-n24921

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arkane posted:

I think constantly chirping about the fate of the global poor is pretty laughable, especially when greens are trying to force upon them energy policies that are going to keep them right where they are.

Well that's a hell of a segue from what I was talking about.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 19, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Can someone help me dispute this argument, I totally believe in global warming and someone posted this as evidence that it was not in fact occuring.
'

Honestly it looks like a general global temperature scale, which I don't know even where to begin with.

Basically their argument is CO2 is good because it's plant food and the whole global wamring is bullshit.

This is the website it was posted on

http://deforestation.geologist-1011.net/

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dreylad posted:

Well that's a hell of a segue from what I was talking about.

I don't think the lives of poor people even remotely enters the calculus of positions involving climate change. Maybe as some abstract, undefined "suffering" that you can pat yourself on the back for caring about for a few seconds, but beyond that not much.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Can someone help me dispute this argument, I totally believe in global warming and someone posted this as evidence that it was not in fact occuring.
'

Honestly it looks like a general global temperature scale, which I don't know even where to begin with.

Basically their argument is CO2 is good because it's plant food and the whole global wamring is bullshit.

This is the website it was posted on

http://deforestation.geologist-1011.net/

Half a pixel on that chart would literally be tens of thousands years. Carbon emissions have gone up an incredible amount in only a few hundred years, and we generally know that increasing carbon = increasing global average temperatures. What we don't know, but appear to be finding out, is how much this will affect our current climates -- with the consensus ranging from "bad" to "civilization ending".

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Arkane posted:

I don't think the lives of poor people even remotely enters the calculus of positions involving climate change. Maybe as some abstract, undefined "suffering" that you can pat yourself on the back for caring about for a few seconds, but beyond that not much.

Besides, you know, the issue that we talk about the global poor being the ones hardest hit and least insulated by climate change every few pages or so, where as I recall we discuss things like food prices, agricultural work, and other land-dependent activities that characterize the global poor's lives.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Arkane posted:

I don't think the lives of poor people even remotely enters the calculus of positions involving climate change.

Is this what you think about everyone or just yourself?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Claverjoe posted:

Besides, you know, the issue that we talk about the global poor being the ones hardest hit and least insulated by climate change every few pages or so, where as I recall we discuss things like food prices, agricultural work, and other land-dependent activities that characterize the global poor's lives.

Let me make it more simplistic using the example brought up in that editorial. If you had $10b to use for building energy projects in Africa, would you build them for 90 million people (but they would be emitting CO2) or would you build them for 30 million people (but they would emit nothing except in the manufacturing process)? Assume that it's not a false choice.

If it's the CO2 project, are you critical of the Obama administration on this issue? If it's the clean project, how do you reconcile that with not reaching as many people?

down with slavery posted:

Is this what you think about everyone or just yourself?

I've been pretty consistent in my belief that mitigation is virtually impossible. It's just never going to happen. Countries around the world are going to keep building CO2-intensive sources of energy, and it's only going to increase over the near term future. The demand for energy is simply far too large.

Those who think that mitigation is possible and necessary must consequently believe that CO2-sources of energy should be curtailed to the greatest possible degree, even in developing countries. That would have a profound stunting effect on growth in those countries (which is why they'd never, ever agree to them). Fundamentally, it would hurt the poor people the most. Even in a first world country like the US, poor people would bear the brunt of the cost of a transition because clean energy is far too expensive.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 19, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Arkane posted:

because clean energy is far too expensive.

Bullshit

http://www.ted.com/talks/james_hansen_why_i_must_speak_out_about_climate_change.html

A reasonable, easy to institute proposal that would only help

There are plenty of steps we can take to reduce emmissions which don't directly translate into more suffering for the poor of anywhere.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Bullshit

http://www.ted.com/talks/james_hansen_why_i_must_speak_out_about_climate_change.html

A reasonable, easy to institute proposal that would only help

There are plenty of steps we can take to reduce emmissions which don't directly translate into more suffering for the poor of anywhere.
Lomborg supports a carbon tax too.
Hansen and Lomborg are on the same page. I like how two polar opposites on climate change can come to the same conclusion on how to deal with climate change.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 19, 2014

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Arkane posted:

Let me make it more simplistic using the example brought up in that editorial. If you had $10b to use for building energy projects in Africa, would you build them for 90 million people (but they would be emitting CO2) or would you build them for 30 million people (but they would emit nothing except in the manufacturing process)? Assume that it's not a false choice.

If it's the CO2 project, are you critical of the Obama administration on this issue? If it's the clean project, how do you reconcile that with not reaching as many people?

No, why should I play along with anything you say? Like literally everyone here sees no value to buying into your worldview, and that extends to any counter factual scenarios that you may bring to the table. Your word is valueless, and the articles you bring to the table are to be met with all scrutiny. As has been mentioned before, I support massive deployment of nuclear power, and you say nothing to it. Like the only thing I want that is relative to you is a nice link to the old "debate" you had with Cefte so I can put a link of it into your av as a warning to others.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Claverjoe posted:

Like the only thing I want that is relative to you is a nice link to the old "debate" you had with Cefte so I can put a link of it into your av as a warning to others.

I suspect you mean this or this.

Cefte posted:

Whiplash Effect is indeed a terrible thing, but more stressful than that is the whiplash you inflict on posters in this forum, Arkane, when the resonance between your constantly shifting goalposts harmonizes with the shimmering flicker that is your cherry-picking of authoritative sources.

I know you're going to keep posting in this forum, on this topic, even if you take a break for a week or so once the heat gets (hah) too much for you, but the knowledge that you'll be back belies my incredulity at the fact that you can manage to show your face, after this. After waving about a paper with no confidence intervals as proving something 'scientifically untenable', after yourself calling the contraassertion to a summary report with confidence intervals as 'possible', after then inverting your latest proof-text and declaring an assertion from RealClimate that is explicitly disproved and withdrawn in the post you selectively quote by the author you raised up as an authority to 'prove' beyond possibility in the first place, after lying about reading that paper, after claiming legal constraint on mentioning that the fundamental property of the paper that you were appealing to did not exist, STILL YOU WILL COME BACK.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Now Arkane is concern trolling for the global poor. That's awfully rich of him. I thought the "good news everybody, turns out the heat is going into the sea!" was a laugh but with him there is always more and it is always worse.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cobweb Heart posted:

There was an article I didn't quite post earlier about how climate change is 'anti-news' because of its long-term, potentially cataclysmic nature.

quote:

...climate change and its component parts are unlike every other story from the Syrian slaughter and the problems of Obamacare to Bridgegate and Justin Bieber’s arrest. The future of all other stories, of the news and storytelling itself, rests on just how climate change manifests itself over the coming decades or even century. What happens in the 2014 midterms or the 2016 presidential elections, in our wars, politics, and culture, who is celebrated and who ignored -- none of it will matter if climate change devastates the planet.

Climate change isn’t the news and it isn’t a set of news stories. It’s the prospective end of all news. Think of it as the anti-news.

All the rest is part of the annals of human history: the rise and fall of empires, of movements, of dictatorships and democracies, of just about anything you want to mention. The most crucial stories, like the most faddish ones, are -- every one of them -- passing phenomena, which is of course what makes them the news.
Climate change isn’t. New as that human-caused phenomenon may be -- having its origins in the industrial revolution -- it’s nonetheless on a different scale from everything else, which is why journalists and environmentalists often have so much trouble figuring out how to write about it in a way that leaves it continually in the news. While no one who, for instance, lived through “Frankenstorm” Sandy on the East Coast in 2012 could call the experience “boring” -- winds roaring through urban canyons like freight trains, lights going out across lower Manhattan, subway tunnels flooding, a great financial capital brought to its proverbial knees -- in news terms, much of global warming is boring and repetitive. I mean, drip, drip, drip. How many times can you write about the melting Arctic sea ice or shrinking glaciers and call it news? How often are you likely to put that in your headlines?
Source

I'm wary of causing a derail because I'm sure the comparisons to the Cold War won't agree with everybody, but I do think there's something to the argument that the way we create and tell news stories is distinctly unsuited to discussions of climate change. Even when individual stories are put in a broader context, that context is set as a background to the specific news item instead of being made into the main story. I don't know of any studies on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if 'compassion fatigue' is now a thing in relation to stories about record temperatures, floods, droughts, melting ice, and so on.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Yiggy posted:

Now Arkane is concern trolling for the global poor. That's awfully rich of him. I thought the "good news everybody, turns out the heat is going into the sea!" was a laugh but with him there is always more and it is always worse.
I like how the guy he quotes to support his false dichotomy doesn't believe there is a dichotomy! Lomborg supporting a carbon tax means that he doesn't believe there is a zero-sum game between development and renewable energy.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 19, 2014

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
New Dyer opinion piece on recent events:

http://www.straight.com/news/588366/gwynne-dyer-its-abrupt-climate-change-stupid

quote:

It’s abrupt climate change, stupid

THIS IS NOT how it was supposed to happen.

The standard climate change predictions said that people in the tropics and the sub-tropics would be badly hurt by global warming long before the people living in the temperate zones, farther away from the equator, were feeling much pain at all.

That was unfair, because it was the people of the rich countries in the temperate zone—North America, Europe, and Japan, mainly—who industrialised early and started burning large amounts of fossil fuel as long as two centuries ago. That’s how they got rich. Their emissions of carbon dioxide over the years account for 80 percent of the greenhouse gases of human origin that are now in the atmosphere, causing the warming, yet they get hurt least and last.

Well, what did you expect? The gods of climate are almost certainly sky gods, and sky gods are never fair. But they have always liked jokes, especially cruel ones, and they have come up with a great one this time. The people of the temperate zones are going to get hurt early after all, but not by gradual warming. Their weather is just going to get more and more extreme: heat waves, blizzards, and flooding on an unprecedented scale.

“In 2012 we had the second wettest winter on record and this winter is a one-in-250-years event,” British opposition leader Ed Milliband told the Observer newspaper on February 14. “If you keep throwing the dice and you keep getting sixes then the dice are loaded. Something is going on.”

The “something” is abrupt climate change. In Britain, it’s an unprecedented series of great storms blowing in off the North Atlantic, dropping enormous amounts of rain and causing disastrous floods. In the United States and Canada, it’s huge blizzards, ice-storms, and record low temperatures that last much longer and reach much further south than normal. Welcome to the “temperate” zone of the northern hemisphere.

There have been extremes in the “temperate” parts of the southern hemisphere, too. Australia has just had its hottest year ever, with record-breaking heat waves and severe bush fires. Argentina had one of its worst-ever heat waves in December, and parts of Brazil had record rainfall, floods and landslides. But that is probably just the result of gradual, relentless warming. The abrupt changes seem to be mainly in the northern hemisphere.

Geography may explain the differences. There isn’t all that much land in the southern temperate zone, and the vast expanses of ocean that surround it moderate the land temperatures. Moreover, the polar jet stream in the southern hemisphere simply circles the Antarctic continent, and does not operate over land— whereas the northern polar jet stream flows right across North America and Europe. And it’s the jet stream that matters.

The extreme weather trend in North America and Europe is less than five years old, so the science that might explain exactly what is happening is still quite tentative. The first hypothesis that sounded plausible, published in 2012 in Geophysical Letters, blamed a slowing of the northern hemisphere’s polar jet stream.

The paper, entitled “Evidence linking Arctic amplification to extreme weather in mid-latitudes”, was written by Jennifer Francis of Rutgers University and Stephen Vavrus of the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The authors’ methodology has been challenged by other climate scientists, but I think that in the end Francis and Vavrus will turn out to be largely right. That is not good news.

They start with the fact that the Arctic has been warming faster than anywhere else on Earth, so the difference in temperature between the Arctic air mass and the air over the temperate zone has been shrinking. Since that difference in temperature is what drives the jet stream that flows along the boundary between the two air masses, a lower difference means a slower jet stream.

Now, a fast jet stream travels in a pretty straight line around the planet from west to east, just like a mountain stream goes pretty straight downhill. A slower jet stream, however, meanders like a river crossing a flood—and the big loops it makes extend much further south and north than when it was moving fast.

In a big southerly loop, you will have Arctic air much further south than usual, while there will be relatively warm air from the temperate air mass in a northerly loop that extends up into the Arctic. Moreover, the slower-moving jet stream tends to get “stuck”, so that a given kind of weather—snow or rain or heat—will stay longer over the same area.

Hence the “polar-vortex” winter in North America this year, the record snowfalls in Japan in 2012 and again this winter, the lethal heat waves in the eastern U.S. in 2012—and the floods in Britain this winter.

“They’ve been pummelled by storm after storm this winter [in Britain],” said Francis at the American Association for the Advancement of Science conference in Chicago last week. “It’s been amazing what’s going on, and it’s because the pattern this winter has been stuck in one place ever since early December.” There’s no particular reason to think that it will move on soon, either.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Negative Entropy posted:

I like how the guy he quotes to support his false dichotomy doesn't believe there is a dichotomy! Lomborg supporting a carbon tax means that he doesn't believe there is a zero-sum game between development and renewable energy.
That's kind of unresponsive to Arkane's point, though. In the absence of efforts to put a monetary cost on the externalities of carbon emission, coal is cheaper than renewables, and cheaper even than nuclear. Dollar for dollar, you can get more dirty coal power than anything else. A carbon tax only 'resolves' this in the sense that it makes coal power less affordable - if what you're searching for is the cheapest way to supply electricity to those who lack it, it isn't particularly helpful.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Strudel Man posted:

That's kind of unresponsive to Arkane's point,

Is anything Arkane has to say something we're suddenly caring about? It's been consistently demonstrated that he's biased beyond any capacity to reasonably evaluate sources (or a Poe).

No one can be on coal power if we want the species to survive catastrophic climate change. If that means wealthier nations have to assist developing nations in alternative power generation, then so be it. We're well past the point that we needed a global solution anyway.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

That's kind of unresponsive to Arkane's point, though. In the absence of efforts to put a monetary cost on the externalities of carbon emission, coal is cheaper than renewables, and cheaper even than nuclear. Dollar for dollar, you can get more dirty coal power than anything else. A carbon tax only 'resolves' this in the sense that it makes coal power less affordable - if what you're searching for is the cheapest way to supply electricity to those who lack it, it isn't particularly helpful.

Wrong. Dollars are made up fictional things and you can't start talking about costs of energy generation in a vacuum like it isn't almost completely dictated by the policies of those in power.

Yes, Coal's EROEI is quite high but if you factor in the costs, like the effects of carbon emissions, it's quite clear that it's just as "expensive" as anything else.

The fact that Coal is cheaper dollar for dollar is just a failure of society, not an indictment of possible ways to change that.

We have the resources and the means. Unfortunately, the people who run the show are in the vein of Arkane's dad, and they will fight tooth and nail against sacrificing their own personal wealth to better serve their countrymen because god knows I need next years' Lambo more than those Singaporean "people" running my factories need their lives.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

Wrong. Dollars are made up fictional things and you can't start talking about costs of energy generation in a vacuum like it isn't almost completely dictated by the policies of those in power.

Yes, Coal's EROEI is quite high but if you factor in the costs, like the effects of carbon emissions, it's quite clear that it's just as "expensive" as anything else.

The fact that Coal is cheaper dollar for dollar is just a failure of society, not an indictment of possible ways to change that.

We have the resources and the means. Unfortunately, the people who run the show are in the vein of Arkane's dad, and they will fight tooth and nail against sacrificing their own personal wealth to better serve their countrymen because god knows I need next years' Lambo more than those Singaporean "people" running my factories need their lives.

It's a failure to count externalities as a cost, because hey, it's not their externality to deal with directly. Nothing more, nothing less.

To put it as plainly as possible, it's FYGM, business school edition.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

TheFuglyStik posted:

To put it as plainly as possible, it's FYGM, business school edition.

Exactly, and for Arkane to pretend otherwise is just ludicrous.

quote:

Really sums it up. Not only is he dumb enough to believe this (what a coincidence that this non-position also allows him to keep his ill-gotten wealth, shocker) but dumb enough to pretend like this is some kind of truism.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Okay, well. This is kind of silly, for reasons that I would hope are obvious. The current dollar cost of coal power is not exactly pulled out of a hat, as you seem to be suggesting. But yes, it does not attempt to account for the externalities that CO2 emission and other pollutants may impose. That's why these things get called 'externalities,' in fact.

As a result of this, poorer countries can get more coal power for fewer real actual dollars than they can of other types of power, operating in the world where the Green Communist Revolution hasn't happened yet. The people of these countries do want electrical power, and would benefit from it. Do I take it that your argument is that they should not avail themselves of coal, on the basis that doing so would cause other economic damages which would push the net cost over the long term to be greater than that of their alternatives?

Something to keep in mind, pertaining to that, is that regardless of what dollar value you assign to a given quantity of CO2 emission, the damage there is non-localized. If a small, poor country makes use of CO2-intensive power sources, they themselves will suffer only a tiny fraction of the externalities associated with it, with the rest being spread around the globe, to many nations more capable of dealing with it. Should this affect our calculus, as to what their best course of action would be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Okay, well. This is kind of silly, for reasons that I would hope are obvious. The current dollar cost of coal power is not exactly pulled out of a hat, as you seem to be suggesting. But yes, it does not attempt to account for the externalities that CO2 emission and other pollutants may impose. That's why these things get called 'externalities,' in fact.

As a result of this, poorer countries can get more coal power for fewer real actual dollars than they can of other types of power, operating in the world where the Green Communist Revolution hasn't happened yet. The people of these countries do want electrical power, and would benefit from it. Do I take it that your argument is that they should not avail themselves of coal, on the basis that doing so would cause other economic damages which would push the net cost over the long term to be greater than that of their alternatives?

I'm saying that in the US, we could tax the rich here and afford to do it for them. We could drastically reduce the amount of carbon in the atmosphere, if by nothing else by paying countries to plant more trees. We just need to start spending resources on reducing carbon, it's not hard. Remove subsidies on fossil fuels here, and tax the rich to make up the difference if it effects the poor. And honestly, given the economic situation in America, you can just throw that out because of the absurd amount of untapped wealth we have here sitting in corporate vaults and the coffers of a select few.

No, we should not (and could not) impose a global ban on coal, but we can dissuade it's use and pursue other methods of reducing carbon output, like say, not only using more domestic nuclear power, but exporting the technology to the developing world.

quote:

Something to keep in mind, pertaining to that, is that regardless of what dollar value you assign to a given quantity of CO2 emission, the damage there is non-localized. If a small, poor country makes use of CO2-intensive power sources, they themselves will suffer only a tiny fraction of the externalities associated with it, with the rest being spread around the globe, to many nations more capable of dealing with it. Should this affect our calculus, as to what their best course of action would be?

Look, the reason that James Hansen' tax plan is nice is that it's a direct dividend back to the population per capita. It's going to impact the people that consume the most carbon (businesses, the rich) much more than the poor. Yes, you're going to see hikes in the price of things across the board, but you're also going to be receiving a check in advance for the month based on an estimate of the value of the tax. And we can start as small as we need to.

The bottom line is you're going to need to accept that the developing world is going to emit more carbon now than us, and we are going to deal with the consequences. To do otherwise would be wildly hypocritical and if we want to reduce their carbon output, we could do so outside of dictating political policy with the backing of military force.

• Locked thread