Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

caiman posted:

For those of you who enjoyed Lego as a kid and then got back into it as an adult, did you incorporate your childhood collection into your adult collection, or did you effectively start from scratch? I have a big tub of Legos from the late 80s/early 90s at my parents house. I'm debating if I should attempt to organize them and rebuild some of the sets (which would likely involve hunting down instructions and buying missing pieces).

I incorporated my childhood Legos. I started with rebuilding classic space sets and branched out from there. I've got a big bag of red and white bricks from when I was little and got lots of police and fire sets but have little desire to try to rebuild any of them. Instructions for old sets are easy from peeron.com (though the interface kinda sucks) and bricklink for any parts that are missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All of the random spaceships I've posted in this thread are built out of parts I had as a kid. I have had to use bricklink to buy random lost parts to complete some sets but that's about it.. I haven't bought any complete builds.

The only problem with my collection is that it's about half what I used to have. My mom was a grade school teacher and when I left home she used my two enormous tubs in her classroom. Which sucks but I'm generally surprised with how good condition the remaining pieces are.

There's also the problem that modern lego design "style" really isn't possible with older bricks. A lot of the really awesome greebles hadn't been made yet so I've spent a decent amount of time on bricklink beefing up my options in that department.

That's why most of the MOC's I've posted look like they're out of the 80's. :v:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

caiman posted:

For those of you who enjoyed Lego as a kid and then got back into it as an adult, did you incorporate your childhood collection into your adult collection, or did you effectively start from scratch? I have a big tub of Legos from the late 80s/early 90s at my parents house. I'm debating if I should attempt to organize them and rebuild some of the sets (which would likely involve hunting down instructions and buying missing pieces).

I did what I could. I had a random set of instructions and boxes and a tub o' pieces. I have really only bothered completing ones with instructions or certain sets I remembered fondly (black sea barracuda anyone?). I found it was a hell of a lot of fun to use bricklink and brickfactory to replace broken/marked/missing pieces and putting them all back together again. I buy new sets a lot, but the old ones are right there with them. I never bothered paying for old instructions or boxes as people want outrageous money for them. I settled for ziploc bags and using marker to write the set number on them.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

caiman posted:

No space for old LEGO, plenty of space on my hard drive though. I mostly work digitally, but i have a couple of small models and pick a brick cups around for building actualy things.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Rage posted:

edit: if they're only going for $180, that's still $20 under retail

Yeah, I figure there still aren't that many people who want a UCS B-Wing. I bought mine to build it but still haven't taken it out of the box.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

caiman posted:

My childhood LEGO is sitting in a rubbermaid bin in the basement.. maybe I'll haul it up later when I've cleaned all the computer junk out of my room, and all the other childhood detritus I no longer need.

My adult LEGO, consisting mostly of Star Wars starfighter sets and a few MOCs I made out of discarded bricks from work currently sit on the uppermost shelf of my desk. Everything else is digital.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have a mix of complete sets from my childhood that are displayed right next to my more modern adult sets and I have the classic giant tub of LEGO, which I love to dump out on the floor and play with my daughter all afternoon. I have been trying more and more to collect classic sets from the 60s and 70s, those have always been a passion of mine, just really hard to come by in good shape.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I didn't realize how spoiled I was as a kid until I got back into Lego. My awesome mom bought me the Monorail, the awesome M-Tron Mega Core, the Black Seas Baracuda, the french foreign legion island, and a few more small sets. Of course she gave them all away to someone else's kids as soon as I went to college like 14 years ago.

Sad.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

caiman posted:

My childhood lego is sitting all in plastic tubs. All the lego I've gotten as an adult has been made once and put on display. Although i went through and rebuilt all my old sets at one point to check which ones were complete. Lots of pirates/Islanders and Ice Planet, Space Police and Blacktron II.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Big ups to other 90s kids who inherited a huge tub of Blacktron/M-Tron parts from an older sibling.

I should really raid the storage unit it's been sat in for a decade at some point.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Picked up 3 of the microfighters(X-Wing, Millennium Falcon and TIE Interceptor) today at the Lego store. They're actually pretty neat little builds for :10bux:. Much better than what I saw of the planets series. I'll likely pick up the rest of the microfighters line over the spring.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was eyeing those microbuilds on lego's site.. is the scale as weird in the real world as in pictures? Some of them looked cool, but the x-wing looked really janky.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

I was eyeing those microbuilds on lego's site.. is the scale as weird in the real world as in pictures? Some of them looked cool, but the x-wing looked really janky.

Yeah, the scale is weird, but that is what they are going for. I think the problem with the X-wing is the big 2x2 round bricks for the engines. They're just not right. But I really like the Millennium Falcon. It's solid and has mostly the right looks.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

The boxes look awesome in person, but I have not built any models. I want to buy a poo poo ton of those TIE Interceptors though for those pilots.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Architecture Studio back in stock. Suck it investors.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My childhood Lego is interstate at my parents' place. One day perhaps I will reclaim it, but I tend to live in places with not much room.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I had two enormous tubs full of Lego leftover from my childhood. I took one, and left the other for my nieces and nephews (I still part-raid it occasionally if I'm in the middle of a project; I give them Lego for gifts constantly so I think it evens out.)

Edit: I hope I'm clear in that I never take back parts I've given as parts of sets for gifts. I just scrounge through the big tub in my parent's house that the kiddos play with twice as a year.

The tub I took is fully sorted and just holds instructions now. All of you people not sorting Lego freak me out. How do you liiiiveeee

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ltr posted:

Pictures of the fall 2014 Star Wars releases:
http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/16/toy-fair-report-lego-star-wars/#more-26666

I need the B-Wing to complete my rebel fighters set too(and have 2 A-Wings).

My inner kid wants to come out to spend money and play. :(

7thBatallion posted:

Man, forget Benny's spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!!! I'm gonna buy a ton of old Blacktron II sets when I have the cash. Or make the big ships out of old Blacktron parts.

I recently saw someone sell all of Blacktron 2 stuff near me. My hands were itching. Those round transparant cockpits are the bomb. :allears:

My allied avenger was the X-wing of it's days. :c00lbert: Kids these days don't know how good they could be having it. :colbert:
Still I wonder if I was a kid if I would've really been happier with Starwars than with Blacktron.

I can't wait to collect my tub of Lego from my parents house, but first I need to finish the attick. :(

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 19, 2014

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

caiman posted:

I started from scratch because my father still has all my childhood legos in storage. I'll pick them up someday when I have space for them. :shepface:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Has anyone found a good 360 image of the Sea Cow? Or maybe just a lot of pictures of it from all angles?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Has anyone found a good 360 image of the Sea Cow? Or maybe just a lot of pictures of it from all angles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L1ybcyEAq8

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

jeeves posted:

Architecture Studio back in stock. Suck it investors.

But still not available in Europe? I don't get it. Why not?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I had a look at it fully built at the nearby Lego Store yesterday. It's huge and has a load of detail. I like it a lot although it seems to be getting panned a bit on the message boards, most likely just investors who don't think the lego movie sets will provide great returns. All that aside I had a hard time not buying it, becuase it was huge and awesome. Settled for the Parisian Restaurant instead.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
When I was at Toysrus a few weeks ago I spotted the Creationary Booster Packs on clearance for 45 cents each (I don't know the original retail). I didn't even know they still made them, as I had to buy my booster pack off ebay last year for $8. So I bought all 6 packs they had, and I did put one up on ebay for a bid of $12, and it ended up ending at $22, and so I put another one up for $23 buy it now, and it sold the next day. I have 4 left, do I continue trying to get $20+ each or should I just stash them away for a few years and hope they are worth more? I really know nothing about Lego speculation.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

caiman posted:

I integrated mine, but it turns out I had far less LEGO than I thought. Like, I can tell exactly which pieces I'm missing from my original collection because I know the single (very, very small) box those pieces were in is missing. And I've far outspent my original childhood collection in just two or three years. Went from maybe a dozen sets with a few hundred total pieces to two hundred sets and over 48,000 pieces. (Thanks to Brickset for that data and Walmart for crazy clearance deals.)

The really only had two major issues. First, I didn't keep anything. Instructions? Gone. Boxes? Gone. Spare pieces? Gone (somehow). Second, my parents are heavy smokers and the collection spent about a decade in a machine shed/barn, so cleaning them was a pain in the rear end. Oxyclean took care of it pretty well, but there's still a bit of tobacco residue on my older bricks. And of course, all of my windscreens are scratched to hell, especially my dark blue trans Spyrius ones, which are probably my favorites.

Anyway, yeah, mix that old stuff in. If you get serious about it, you'll probably far outspend that collection, and the amount of sorting you'll have to do is minuscule compared to what you'll be doing for the rest of your life.

As for building your old stuff, you'll probably discover you have a lot more left than you thought. When I rebuilt my Spyrius stuff, I was missing less than half a dozen parts, which I just replaced with similar stuff. My Technic parts, though... those are in the aforementioned missing box. All my gears and pulleys and flex cables and most of my plates and beams... gone.

I used Peeron for my instructions, but as of right now it looks like they're having database issues. You can always try shop.LEGO.com. I think the OP has a couple other links, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest problem with mixing old and new is when you have colors that lego slightly changed. New light grey and old light grey look identical until you start mixing them in a big pile. They did the same thing with dark grey, they did one with a greenish tint for a few years and they don't match at all (though you can get some neat shading effects if you mix them in a build).

I also have a few bricks from 1979 or earlier (have "pat pending" printed on the back) that also don't match. Those pieces are so rare though it's not really a concern.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

caiman posted:

I have a huge tub of it at my mom's house. However it's in terrible shape. It's covered in dust, pet hair and for whatever reason, cat food (I have no idea how this happened and my living standards improved greatly upon moving into my own place). I tried cleaning it once years back but got nowhere fast.

Honestly, as much as I would love to go back, and clean all of it so I can use it or give it to my eventual kids, it feels like it'd be such a cumbersome process to clean it all. Which is a damned shame cause I had a lot of cool sets in the 90's.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 19, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Handsome Ralph posted:

I have a huge tub of it at my mom's house. However it's in terrible shape. It's covered in dust, pet hair and for whatever reason, cat food (I have no idea how this happened and my living standards improved greatly upon moving into my own place). I tried cleaning it once years back but got nowhere fast.

Honestly, as much as I would love to go back, and clean all of it so I can use it or give it to my eventual kids, it feels like it'd be such a cumbersome process to clean it all. Which is a damned shame cause I had a lot of cool sets in the 90's.

Mesh bags and the dishwasher did the trick for my older pieces.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Indolent Bastard posted:

bed covers tied shut or a pillowcase in a washer works just fine as well,(just don't put any transparent panels in it.)

Do this on a day that you can be somewhere else for the duration of the washing, this makes an ungodly racket.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've got like... Three 20 gallon bins of Lego at my parents house. All stuff from maybe 93-2000, and lots of missing bits. I figure I'll claim it once I've got an actual house and not an apartment.

Once a year I have to tell my mom it's not okay to give it away.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Does that get the dust and hair out though? I know it sounds stupid but the last time I tried it (just using water to rinse it in my tub), the hair ended up sticking to other pieces no matter what I do.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I ordered the sea cow on Monday and my order status is still "customer service" do I have to do something here, or how long is it going to wait?
I'm glad I didn't drop the $25 for upgraded shipping or I'd be super pissed instead of just confused.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Whoever was looking for the free child admission earlier, I found it is also on the back of the Creator Race Car Poly Bag I found in the Easter Seasonal Aisle at Target. I think it was like $3.50. Hope that helps!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Thanks, this is pretty great.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Network42 posted:

I ordered the sea cow on Monday and my order status is still "customer service" do I have to do something here, or how long is it going to wait?
I'm glad I didn't drop the $25 for upgraded shipping or I'd be super pissed instead of just confused.

In general this means they want to confirm you are the owner of the Credit Card that made the order. They will call you shortly, but call them first and it'll be sorted in moments.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

AzMiLion posted:

(just don't put any transparent panels in it.)

What happens there?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

ChesterJT posted:

What happens there?

More scratches than it started with, thanks to all the bricks tumbling against it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I left my childhood collection at my parents', they stuck it in a barn and my younger brother stole it all and mixed it with his own collection. He's done some good builds and custom minifigures so that ameliorates it a little, but drat, all those classic space and pirates and cowboys :(

I'd probably be shocked at how small my childhood collection was compared to today anyway.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
My childhood collection still exists in my mum's attic in some sort, but it got all mixed up with my 2 younger brothers' stuff (both 10 years younger) and they got far more than I ever did, so I don't intend to ever try to get it back.

I had all the Spyrius sets in this image except the lunar base, the robot mech thing was my favourite.

Also had the big blue&orange ice planet spaceship and various Exploriens sets, including the awesome starship.

Recently restarted my collection with the Delorean, the Curiosity Rover, the Lone Ranger train (for BTTF3 purposes) and as of today these 2 movie sets - because Metalbeard is metal as gently caress and the other set has Emmet and Wyldstyle :3:

Edit: oh man this ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGzAzdYqw5I

Griever fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gawd, Ice Planet 2002. THE toy of my childhood. If I didn't have so many expensive Indiana Jones sets to collect, I'd probably get all of them right away.