Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

On my old CB350f you didn't even need to stand up off the seat to kick it. Just lean a little back, give the kicker a lazy push down and you're good to go. You couldn't really feel any of the different positions the pistons were in. It was just one smooth push down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Pullstart all bikes :shepicide:

That's actually how I got the scooter started. Wrapped a strap around the clutch a few times and yanked it to life :madmax:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Way back, a long time before I started riding a coworker bought some kind of not-road-legal ratty KTM that he rode to work on (this was the first time he did this). At the end of the day we all gathered around, ooing and aaaing, waiting for him to come walking out to, smug as smug can be.

And then he kicked the starter. And kicked. And kicked. And kicked. And so on, until someone started to snicker, which made him go "LETS SEE YOU DO IT THEN". And then this person tried for x times, and then someone else said "Step back you idiots, I've got this". And that guy didn't get it started either. I think five or six people tried, and of course the engine was completely flooded by now but none of us knew stuff like this. So he got a ride home from someone I guess, because the bike was still there the next day. By then the owner had read up on how to start it, and then it started in like two kicks. There was some "trick" to it, like one kick full choke, then the next no choke but half throttle and BAM.

I believe it was someone here who wrote something like, a kickstart bike will always start on the first kick when no-one is around, and it'll always be hard to start when anyone is looking.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Even with decompressors most modern engines would catapult you over the bars long before they'd actually start.

Dirt bikes are still a thing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Kick start only on a street bike isn't something I'd want and I even like magic e-start on my off road bikes. That being said I never had any trouble starting CRF450R and never used the decomp lever. The GasGas 300Pro on the other hand is an absolute bitch to start even with spacers added to reduce the compression, even using all the special 'tricks'.

I am however about 130lb so that doesn't help much with the GG.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zool posted:

Dirt bikes are still a thing.

Most modern engines. Given that some big Ducatis have to have a decompressor just to start with an electric starter you'd need a kickstart lever longer than the bike to get enough torque on it to start it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty sure a 400 single is a lot easier to start than a 1200 v-twin with 180-odd horsepower. Though I read that the panigale has the decompressor to ease the load on the starter so they can use a smaller, lighter starter and battery. In reality it probably just caught on fire without it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think just about every 1000cc+ metric cruiser has automatic decomp on an electric starter, too. My '95 Vulcan definitely had one.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My StreetFighter (1098 engine) would always sound like it wasn't going to be able to pull of getting that engine rotated cold. Doesn't surprise me at all that big twins would have auto-decompress with electric start.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

NitroSpazzz posted:

That being said I never had any trouble starting CRF450R and never used the decomp lever.
That's interesting, I found a pre-autodecomp yz250f almost impossible to kick over without using the decomp lever. Maybe there's some design difference that... Oh I'm probably just a weakling.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Starting force depends on compression ratio, too, not just engine displacement. A low-compression puttery 500 like an Enfield is probably going to be easier to kickstart than a high-strung 250cc racer.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Someone post the KTM bumpstart vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdIUO2yS3VA

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I've got a 1983 honda xl600r. Kick start only. It requires a full tilt of the bike to the ground until gas runs out of the over flow. Then you cycle the cylinder until you feel it get tight. Then you kick it 684 times at most getting a pop or puff out of the exhaust. Then you get the drz out and it fires right up. Wheel the xr back in the garage.
Seriously though it is a chore to fire it if it's cold or it hasn't been started in a while. And don't dare touch the throttle until it's running and warm. After you start it once it's easy the rest of the day.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I put a bicycle speedometer on the Enfield. Holy poo poo my stock speedo is off! Accurate to 20mph, but reads 50 when I'm going 35, and reads 90 when I'm going 65. No wonder everyone was passing me constantly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a safety speedo :haw:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'd view any Enfield speedo reading of 90 MPH with great suspicion.

Tried mounting a GPS or capable cell phone temporarily as another check?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I get a GPS watch in a few days so I'll check with that. Don't have any suitable bike mounts and I don't feel coordinated enough to pull my cellphone out while riding a mobile paint shaker to check speed. I knew it couldn't go 90, either, but I've always wanted to know exactly how fast I was going when it said 90.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://www.rammount.com/products/motorcycles.htm#/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I made a No-Face.

Also, a mess on my carpet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GIVI-S850-U...givi+gps+holder

Somewhat cheaper and a bit more versatile.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Marginally cheaper (especially if you shop around, I got mine from a place called "Mounting Innovations" I think), definitely not more versatile. For one, how do you mount it without bars? RAMs have multiple mounting options and are very easy to adjust.

That said, you gotta go with what suits you.

ed:

quote:

Bought this to use with my iPhone sat nav app, the phone fits but the case is not wide enough to fit the charging cable as the cable entry is only at the bottom (one at the side too would fix this). But given the product isn't designed for iphones I can't criticise too much. The big problem is that when it rains the clear screen steams up making it unreadable. So if you are buying this to use with an iPhone (and want to charge it) or will use it in all weathers look elsewhere.

Yeah, no go for me on that too, plus iphones are dumb and won't lock in landscape mode so it just keeps flipping the picture every turn.

edit2: I priced one out and the ram is cheaper actually.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 16, 2014

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

by astral
After spending $1,200 all together fixing my FZ1 that decided to start running on 2 cylinders, I decided to download the service manual. I have no idea what I'm doing either, but I know I can't afford that bullshit again. Here's to hoping that I don't do any permanent damage.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I just replaced my 65k clutch master cylinder internals with a brand new OEM repair kit. Seems to be working way better than before! :dance:

Time will tell, but the lever is as firm as a bear at Folsom Street Fair and Bugdrvr's super special Audi Dot-4 looks way better than the brown sludge that came out. :)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I installed a power distribution block!

I was getting pretty pissed off by the rat's nest that was bolted to the bike's battery, and I thought I could do better. First order of business: remove the battery tender and the heated jacket plug, install distribution block.

Next, hook battery tender and voltmeter up:

That little screw in the top right? Fell into the wiring harness. I can just barely see it; if I can get a magnet on a stick before the next time I start the bike up, I'll fish it out.

Finally, install cover (after trimming it to fit):

I installed a switch on the side of the voltmeter so I can turn it off when I don't need it.

Thanks go to the douchenozzle in the SUV who parked so far over the line that I had no moral issue using his/her hood as a work bench (I set my bag down on the hood and worked on that -- no risk of marring the paint).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Probably want a fuse in your positive-side line between battery and dist block.

E: for that matter I'd get some red tape or paint and mark the hot wire just for future idiot-proofing

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Probably want a fuse in your positive-side line between battery and dist block.

E: for that matter I'd get some red tape or paint and mark the hot wire just for future idiot-proofing

Yeah, I was thinking about an in-line fuse. I'll have to pick one up. I'm going to borrow my fiancee's nail polish and mark the hot bar with it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I believe it was someone here who wrote something like, a kickstart bike will always start on the first kick when no-one is around, and it'll always be hard to start when anyone is looking.
First time I showed my bike to my coworkers I couldn't get it started. After a minute or so of embarassed swearing I remembered the killswitch. :downs:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Collateral Damage posted:

First time I showed my bike to my coworkers I couldn't get it started. After a minute or so of embarassed swearing I remembered the killswitch. :downs:

This and forgetting to turn the petcock on. Both should be wired up with some logic to light up a "You Are Dumb" light on the gauge cluster.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

No lights

Low beam

High beam

gently caress YOU, DARNESS!

It's a 10" S series light bar from Black Box Logistics. Four spot beam and two flood beam 10W CREE LEDs.

http://www.blackboxlogistics.com/s--series.html#!/~/product/category=6943359&id=18699343

It's surprisingly bright. Obviously not to be used around other traffic.

The only thing I don't love about it is, with the way it's angled on the bike, I can't instal the dust cover without adjusting the aim. I can trim the dust cover to make it fit.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is that an FAA-approved landing light?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nah, cheaper knock-off of the beefy Rigid aluminum LED offroad truck lights. I can't wait to find a dark road at night and try it out.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

LET THERE BE LIGHT

Man, that is really awesome. If that wouldn't look like total rear end on my 690SM (2007, :irony:) I'd do that in a heartbeat. When I get my dreamed-of beater offroad camping bike that's high on the list.

Mydonos
May 27, 2013

I traded mine for a CBR 600RR :) 2010

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

No lights

Low beam

High beam

gently caress YOU, DARNESS!

It's a 10" S series light bar from Black Box Logistics. Four spot beam and two flood beam 10W CREE LEDs.

http://www.blackboxlogistics.com/s--series.html#!/~/product/category=6943359&id=18699343

It's surprisingly bright. Obviously not to be used around other traffic.

The only thing I don't love about it is, with the way it's angled on the bike, I can't instal the dust cover without adjusting the aim. I can trim the dust cover to make it fit.

Still no right side air scoop?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's been cold. The extra heat off of the right side has been nice.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Changed the oil and oil filter, changed the fuel filter, and got some spare keys made. Not spectacular, but after a lovely day at work it was rather nice.

Now I'm looking at options to strip the paint from a new [to me] gas tank and my current fenders and repaint them a new color so they match.

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown
Replaced the indicator flasher, the old one was sticking
$11 for a generic one, $70 for an OEM Honda part...
Now I'm having trouble finding a universal headlight with an 18-20 cm distance between mounting points, because screw paying $100 for a chrome ring and another $100 for the plastic shell of the headlight
Being poor for the next few months sucks :(

moudis
Feb 2, 2014

Finally figured out how to put 500+ lbs of VFR on its center stand. I felt really dumb afterwards for failing repeatedly in the past. My issue? Pulling on the handlebar and turning the front wheel.

On the bright side: my chain is well oiled again.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Check out youtube for some videos of putting bikes on the center stand. 300 lbs or 800, it's not too much difference in effort. It's all about where you pull.

For me, I don't pull on the bars at all. I push down on the center stand till it touches then tip the bike to the right so both the feet are touching. Then put weight on the stand while pulling up on the rear on the bike. Up, not back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Got my suspension set up by Dave Moss today. If you own a sportsbike I urge you to do this. The difference is incredible, the bike somehow feels simultaneously more eager to turn yet more stable at speed, and more compliant over bumps yet more planted on the throttle/brakes, and leaning it right over feels far less risky and uncertain than before. It's mind-blowing stuff.